"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-49X850B / XBR-55X850B / XBR-65X850B / XBR-70X850B Thread - Page 138 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 585Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4111 of 5926 Old 04-22-2015, 12:31 AM
Member
 
Manny805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oxnard,Cali
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just did the update over USB flash drive on my 55x850b.
Manny805 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4112 of 5926 Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM
KMR
Senior Member
 
KMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuup1dmofo View Post
Optical cable from TV to receiver. In the options menu, go to Speakers > Audio System. That should output to your receiver.
Thank you for the information.

I'm unable to get this to work, unfortunately. I'm using a Denon AVR that has a "TV Audio" port for the Optical cable. I attached my cable to this port and then to the optical port on the back of the 850. I changed the 850's sound option to "Audio System" and the Denon audio source to "TV Audio" but I'm getting no sound.

Might anyone have an idea what I may be missing?
KMR is offline  
post #4113 of 5926 Old 04-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
stuup1dmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
Thank you for the information.

I'm unable to get this to work, unfortunately. I'm using a Denon AVR that has a "TV Audio" port for the Optical cable. I attached my cable to this port and then to the optical port on the back of the 850. I changed the 850's sound option to "Audio System" and the Denon audio source to "TV Audio" but I'm getting no sound.

Might anyone have an idea what I may be missing?
Make sure that the optical input in your AVR is assigned to whatever input you are currently using. Lets say you are using the DVR input, make sure the audio for that is set to optical 1.

Mine was quite plug n play.
tubetwister likes this.
stuup1dmofo is offline  
 
post #4114 of 5926 Old 04-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Senior Member
 
LD-838D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, El Segundo
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 36
All,
I'm seeing a lot of issues with return audio or just feeding audio via optical.

Please remember most Blue-Ray,HTPC,Media players these days rely on HDMI outputs for switching.
Depending on the source you may run into issues where your device thinks its outputting via HDMI vs. what you are really outputting.
It's called for a lack of terms "HDMI handshake"
It "CAN" be source dependent.
tubetwister likes this.
LD-838D is offline  
post #4115 of 5926 Old 04-22-2015, 08:07 PM
KMR
Senior Member
 
KMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuup1dmofo View Post
Make sure that the optical input in your AVR is assigned to whatever input you are currently using. Lets say you are using the DVR input, make sure the audio for that is set to optical 1.

Mine was quite plug n play.
Thank you! That did it.

I've only used HDMI for audio and video for years now, so I never knew I had to assign the optical input.
KMR is offline  
post #4116 of 5926 Old 04-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
LD-838D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, El Segundo
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
Thank you! That did it.

I've only used HDMI for audio and video for years now, so I never knew I had to assign the optical input.
Awesome!
LD-838D is offline  
post #4117 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Member
 
allornothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quick question on my 65850b, I have my settings set pretty well for my likings thanks to all the help on here, I think I printed off 10 different settings from everyone. I have mine on standard, I like it better than cinema 2, but I have my backlight down to 3 and the balance pretty much follows everyone else's fairly close. My question is on some shows not all some of the reds seem over saturated, would you suggest I adjust this with color, brightness, or with the R-bias (which one) in the white balance? Being that it's not all the time I'm thinking it might be source related as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I guess with the new 2015 units coming out, we'll be old news!
allornothing is offline  
post #4118 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guys,

It ordered a XBR-65X850B from AbesOfMaine and I got a call this morning from them with a sales guy trying to sell me the "US version" of the TV. He said that I ordered the "Imported version" from them (even if it was the only one on their website) and that it would not work correctly in US. He invoked all sorts of incompatibilities that sounded stupid to me (like different Wi-Fi band?).

Is there such a thing as "Imported" vs "US version"?
FlashMagnuM is offline  
post #4119 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Member
 
allornothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMagnuM View Post
Guys,

It ordered a XBR-65X850B from AbesOfMaine and I got a call this morning from them with a sales guy trying to sell me the "US version" of the TV. He said that I ordered the "Imported version" from them (even if it was the only one on their website) and that it would not work correctly in US. He invoked all sorts of incompatibilities that sounded stupid to me (like different Wi-Fi band?).

Is there such a thing as "Imported" vs "US version"?
Someone else on here said they do the same switch stuff all the time. I'm sure the European version and US version are different, but one would assume abes of MAINE would be selling the US version. I would look elsewhere if it was me, I know Best Buy has them for 2299 for a 65, I'm not sure if Amazon or HH Gregg has them less or not.
allornothing is offline  
post #4120 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,971
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMagnuM View Post
Guys,

It ordered a XBR-65X850B from AbesOfMaine and I got a call this morning from them with a sales guy trying to sell me the "US version" of the TV. He said that I ordered the "Imported version" from them (even if it was the only one on their website) and that it would not work correctly in US. He invoked all sorts of incompatibilities that sounded stupid to me (like different Wi-Fi band?).

Is there such a thing as "Imported" vs "US version"?
Yes there is a different , XBR65850B is only US model , Europien have simular but little different model number? Also US is NTSC , Europien Pal/Secam.
Sony all models LG some have dual voltage like any computer or cell phone so 110V-240V 50/60hz so they will work everywhere, Samsung have only 120V and 50/60hz.
If you live in US and not going to take your TV overseas you don't need to worry about it. Any Sony retailer in US will sell you only US model witch is XBR65X850B. If you want to get it from them Europien version many of them not even able to do it, Sony just will not send them Europien model to US. So it is a bit surprice AbesofMaine even sell Europien models here in US.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Projector and scren shopping now :D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3,
retro124 is online now  
post #4121 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I just confirmed with the Abes Of Maine representative and the TV is NTSC, but he's saying that the apps will not work in US. I don't know what to say anymore honestly.
FlashMagnuM is offline  
post #4122 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,971
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMagnuM View Post
So I just confirmed with the Abes Of Maine representative and the TV is NTSC, but he's saying that the apps will not work in US. I don't know what to say anymore honestly.
That is incorrect, if somehow they do have Europien model it can't be NTSC , just buy it elsewhere, Best Buy ,HHgreg, AMAZON have them and you dont need to deal with it because all those retailer have only US models

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Projector and scren shopping now :D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3,

Last edited by retro124; 04-24-2015 at 11:34 AM.
retro124 is online now  
post #4123 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 16,962
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3006 Post(s)
Liked: 3208
No one has models meant for a different country in the US unless Sony accidentally shipped one to a US retailer. All fabrication, bate and switch.
tubetwister likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #4124 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Member
 
allornothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since your buying online contact Chris at Cleveland Plasma maybe he still has some and can give you a good price. He's a forum sponsor, check out his post above yours for information.
allornothing is offline  
post #4125 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
carageuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm sure someone would be willing to pay top dollar if SONY "accidentally" shipped one of their JAPAN only models over here.
carageuw is offline  
post #4126 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Tonks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Markham, ON
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I've heard this "import" vs "US model" thing with Abes and cameras before, but never before on a television. I can't imagine where they're importing it from, though, since Sony now changes model numbers depending on region. There's a Canadian version with the same X850B designation - which I have - which I'm not even sure is a real "version" and does use the same firmware as the US model... but since it's way more expensive than the US model sells for in the US, I can't imagine how they could get it for cheaper. Certainly not $1750 vs $4000 like their site shows.

Otherwise, I'm feeling like this one of those classic bait and switches. Buy the cheap version that doesn't exist or is purposefully missing some crucial component at a price better than anyone else, then they call and upsell you to the proper working "US" version which magically drops from exorbitant pricing to... the same price you could've gotten anywhere else.

Personally, I say run. It doesn't feel kosher.

Last edited by Daniel Tonks; 04-24-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Daniel Tonks is offline  
post #4127 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
BiggShooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Valley Of The Sun
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Last night, I turned on my Sony XBR70x850b and the picture was green and purple. The color was definately messed up. All components are connected directly to my Denon AVR-X4100W via HDMI.

I did power off the TV, waited about 10 seconds, and powered on the TV. That seemed to fix the problem.

Has anyone else had this type of issue / experience? Any ideas as to what may have caused this? Is this a sign that my Sony XBR-70x850b may be faulty? I do have a four year protection plan on it, so I'm not too worried if the problem continues / becomes more frequent.

Thanks for the replies.
BiggShooter is offline  
post #4128 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Member
 
ca4224's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So, I just bought the x850B 55" tonight. Chose it over the Samsung based on feedback from magnolia guys and other people close to the latest TVs. Samsung JU7100 looked nice but I thought the picture quality was on par or better than the JU7100.

2 questions I need answered though:

1. Are ALL 4 HDMI inputs 2.0 and play 40k/60hz at 18gbits (not 30hz. Sony seems to hide this information and I heard things such as "Yes, they are HDMI 2.0, BUT the decoder is like 10gbits vs 18gbits therefore its not true 2.0").

2. Is it a 10 bit panel?

Thank you!
ca4224 is offline  
post #4129 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
retro124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,971
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca4224 View Post
So, I just bought the x850B 55" tonight. Chose it over the Samsung based on feedback from magnolia guys and other people close to the latest TVs. Samsung JU7100 looked nice but I thought the picture quality was on par or better than the JU7100.

2 questions I need answered though:

1. Are ALL 4 HDMI inputs 2.0 and play 40k/60hz at 18gbits (not 30hz. Sony seems to hide this information and I heard things such as "Yes, they are HDMI 2.0, BUT the decoder is like 10gbits vs 18gbits therefore its not true 2.0").

2. Is it a 10 bit panel?

Thank you!
Panel is for sure 8bit and I believe only first 2 HDMI are 4K/60hz

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Projector and scren shopping now :D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3,
retro124 is online now  
post #4130 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 08:20 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by allornothing View Post
Since your buying online contact Chris at Cleveland Plasma maybe he still has some and can give you a good price. He's a forum sponsor, check out his post above yours for information.
ditto !
tubetwister is offline  
post #4131 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 PM
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post
I'm sure someone would be willing to pay top dollar if SONY "accidentally" shipped one of their JAPAN only models over here.
How about a 8K Japan domestic Sharp TV .......................( as if U could find something to watch on it here )
tubetwister is offline  
post #4132 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
carageuw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Miami
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
How about a 8K Japan domestic Sharp TV .......................( as if U could find something to watch on it here )
If someone can afford that monster AND having it shipped here,
I am pretty sure that individual also has the means of getting NHK 8K content as well.
(maybe not in real time)
carageuw is offline  
post #4133 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 09:15 PM
Member
 
ca4224's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Panel is for sure 8bit and I believe only first 2 HDMI are 4K/60hz
Only 2?

Now I'm left wondering what the true advantages are in having HDMI 18Gbps, all 4k/60Hz, 10 bit instead of 8 bit, etc. really is. If its a lot and the fact the new Android OS in on 2015, might be worth the extra $700 for the x850C
ca4224 is offline  
post #4134 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Tonks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Markham, ON
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca4224 View Post
So, I just bought the x850B 55" tonight. Chose it over the Samsung based on feedback from magnolia guys and other people close to the latest TVs. Samsung JU7100 looked nice but I thought the picture quality was on par or better than the JU7100.

2 questions I need answered though:

1. Are ALL 4 HDMI inputs 2.0 and play 40k/60hz at 18gbits (not 30hz. Sony seems to hide this information and I heard things such as "Yes, they are HDMI 2.0, BUT the decoder is like 10gbits vs 18gbits therefore its not true 2.0").

2. Is it a 10 bit panel?

Thank you!
1a) The supposition that only the first two ports support 60hz is based on the manual's recommendation of where to connect 60hz devices. However, the manual has been proven VERY WRONG on other points, and since no one has actually bothered to confirm this information first-hand, it's merely a guess. It should be noted that there is no known technical reason why it should only support 60hz on 2 ports.

1b) Remember that 60hz on the Sony requires 4:2:0 chroma subsampling (which is how Blu-ray movies are encoded). Other televisions of the same generation that supported 4:4:4 subsampling at 60hz did NOT support HDCP 2.2 on those same ports.

2) It is 8-bit, however it supports dithering in a way that can faithfully reproduce greater than 8-bit signals (I have provided photos demonstrating this). The internal processor actually operates at 14-bit.
Daniel Tonks is offline  
post #4135 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Member
 
ca4224's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks View Post
1a) The supposition that only the first two ports support 60hz is based on the manual's recommendation of where to connect 60hz devices. However, the manual has been proven VERY WRONG on other points, and since no one has actually bothered to confirm this information first-hand, it's merely a guess. It should be noted that there is no known technical reason why it should only support 60hz on 2 ports.

1b) Remember that 60hz on the Sony requires 4:2:0 chroma subsampling (which is how Blu-ray movies are encoded). Other televisions of the same generation that supported 4:4:4 subsampling at 60hz did NOT support HDCP 2.2 on those same ports.

2) It is 8-bit, however it supports dithering in a way that can faithfully reproduce greater than 8-bit signals (I have provided photos demonstrating this). The internal processor actually operates at 14-bit.
Thank you very much - very helpful.

1a) I can suppose that all ports are 60hz but preferably use inputs 1 and 2 then. Great news if they are all the same!

1b) From what I can understand concerning chroma is that 4:4:4 is maximum possible quality being delivered. Now, I've only heard PC gamers concerned around the chroma issues. Is this even an issue when it comes to 4k Blu-Rays, etc. You mentioned Blu-Rays in general.

This is what I read: http://wolfcrow.com/blog/chroma-subs...ers-explained/

So if this TV is 4:2:0 we get 50% of maximum (4:2:2 would be 66%) but this all may be moot because 4k materials will never uncompress to this level.? PC gaming is different then.

2) Good to know and I'm assuming then the difference between a 10 bit and Sony's 8 bit is minimal.

Thanks again!
ca4224 is offline  
post #4136 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Tonks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Markham, ON
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca4224 View Post
Thank you very much - very helpful.

1a) I can suppose that all ports are 60hz but preferably use inputs 1 and 2 then. Great news if they are all the same!

1b) From what I can understand concerning chroma is that 4:4:4 is maximum possible quality being delivered. Now, I've only heard PC gamers concerned around the chroma issues. Is this even an issue when it comes to 4k Blu-Rays, etc. You mentioned Blu-Rays in general.

This is what I read: http://wolfcrow.com/blog/chroma-subs...ers-explained/

So if this TV is 4:2:0 we get 50% of maximum (4:2:2 would be 66%) but this all may be moot because 4k materials will never uncompress to this level.? PC gaming is different then.

2) Good to know and I'm assuming then the difference between a 10 bit and Sony's 8 bit is minimal.

Thanks again!
1b) Since all consumer video is encoded 4:2:0 (and I'm talking all DVDs, all BDs, all future 4k BDs, all streaming), that's all that's required for the best quality reproduction. The TV will upsample where necessary, which considering the good processor on the X850B, is probably a better idea than letting the source do it anyways.

However, here's one point that everyone keeps forgetting about: where are these mysterious 60fps BD videos? Any mainstream movie is going to be released at 23.976fps, and the Sony already supports that at 4k 4:4:4 (not that BDs will *ever* be 4:4:4, as the format specification doesn't even allow it).

But should you find a 4k 60fps video, the Sony will indeed support that if the BD player can output native 4:2:0. I suppose this might be the biggest challenge - finding the proper output support. One can assume that Sony's forthcoming 4k BD players will do this without issue, since they have several years of 4K TVs to support.

So, why might you need 4k 60fps 4:4:4? Primarily, to use the TV as a computer monitor. I'm somewhat doubtful that there are many games with enough fine detail at 4k resolution where you can actually see an obvious difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 encoding, though.

Sure, 4:4:4 support is a nice thing to have, but it's not the be-all that some people make it out to be. Chances are, most folks will never even have a legitimate use for it.

2) Due to how companies market things, quite a few panels are advertised at a certain bit-depth when they're actually one step lower plus dithering. For example, many 6-bit panels were advertised as 8-bit... but with a footnote that said they supported 16.2 million colors - instead of the normal 16.7 million of a true 8-bit panel. The Sony is at least true 8-bit, and I don't doubt that many of the first 10-bit panels marketed will in fact be 8-bit with similar types of dithering. But they'll be "all new" of course! ;-)

Last edited by Daniel Tonks; 04-24-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Daniel Tonks is offline  
post #4137 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 10:42 PM
Member
 
ca4224's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks View Post
1b) Since all consumer video is encoded 4:2:0 (and I'm talking all DVDs, all BDs, all future 4k BDs, all streaming), that's all that's required for the best quality reproduction. The TV will upsample where necessary, which considering the good processor on the X850B, is probably a better idea than letting the source do it anyways.

However, here's one point that everyone keeps forgetting about: where are these mysterious 60fps BD videos? Any mainstream movie is going to be released at 23.976fps, and the Sony already supports that at 4k 4:4:4 (not that BDs will *ever* be 4:4:4, as the format specification doesn't even allow it).

But should you find a 4k 60fps video, the Sony will indeed support that if the BD player can output native 4:2:0. I suppose this might be the biggest challenge - finding the proper output support. One can assume that Sony's forthcoming 4k BD players will do this without issue, since they have several years of 4K TVs to support.

So, why might you need 4k 60fps 4:4:4? Primarily, to use the TV as a computer monitor. I'm somewhat doubtful that there are many games with enough fine detail at 4k resolution where you can actually see an obvious difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 encoding, though.

Sure, 4:4:4 support is a nice thing to have, but it's not the be-all that some people make it out to be. Chances are, most folks will never even have a legitimate use for it.

2) Due to how companies market things, quite a few panels are advertised at a certain bit-depth when they're actually one step lower plus dithering. For example, many 6-bit panels were advertised as 8-bit... but with a footnote that said they supported 16.2 million colors - instead of the normal 16.7 million of a true 8-bit panel. The Sony is at least true 8-bit, and I don't doubt that many of the first 10-bit panels marketed will in fact be 8-bit with similar types of dithering. But they'll be "all new" of course! ;-)
Awesome stuff...

You say 4:4:4 is a nice thing to have but really from what I got from your response, is that it really doesn't do anything because the 4k format won't even go that far.

I do believe "The Hobbit" was released in 48fps so just as an example, if I played that particular movie, the TV would output at that FPS (48) with the assumption the device (ps4) could output that high. Would go as high as 60fps if the director was so inclined but we haven't reached that point today.

Thanks again for the feedback. I had been so focused to get a Samsung JU7100 because of the definite ability to get the small things like HDMI 2.0 on all ports, 444 chroma, 2015 model, and 10 bit. Then, I had been redirected to a year older TV yesterday in the 850B because of better picture quality which is really due to more of Sony's engine rather than just specs and you helped any potential buyer's remorse that I may have felt.
ca4224 is offline  
post #4138 of 5926 Old 04-24-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Daniel Tonks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Markham, ON
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca4224 View Post
Awesome stuff...

You say 4:4:4 is a nice thing to have but really from what I got from your response, is that it really doesn't do anything because the 4k format won't even go that far.

I do believe "The Hobbit" was released in 48fps so just as an example, if I played that particular movie, the TV would output at that FPS (48) with the assumption the device (ps4) could output that high. Would go as high as 60fps if the director was so inclined but we haven't reached that point today.

Thanks again for the feedback. I had been so focused to get a Samsung JU7100 because of the definite ability to get the small things like HDMI 2.0 on all ports, 444 chroma, 2015 model, and 10 bit. Then, I had been redirected to a year older TV yesterday in the 850B because of better picture quality which is really due to more of Sony's engine rather than specs and you helped any buyer's remorse that I may have felt.
For 4k as a video format, no. No video in the foreseeable future will be encoded 4:4:4. At this point, the only supporting devices for 4:4:4 output are computers. And yes, 4:4:4 is useful for that purpose - without it, fine details (like colored text) can have fuzzy halos.

Note that there is still a question about whether the X850B will support 4k 10-bit input at any refresh rate (which actually IS in the 4k BD specification). No one knows the answer to that yet.

The Hobbit was done 48fps in theaters, but there is no 48fps home video release. It's standard 24fps. Also, 48fps isn't even a valid refresh rate for any format, so it would have to be bumped up to 60fps... which I think would require 1:1:1:2 pulldown to reconstruct without judder? And we know nothing supports that!

I'm sure there will be some 4k 60fps nature documentaries released to showcase the system, but considering how The Hobbit's 48fps went over, I don't think we're going to have to worry about mainstream movies moving away from 24fps for a long while.

Last edited by Daniel Tonks; 04-24-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Daniel Tonks is offline  
post #4139 of 5926 Old 04-25-2015, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,939
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Any reason to not pick up the xbr850b now that the price has been slashed? Screen uniformity issues?
Nickff is offline  
post #4140 of 5926 Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
 
LD-838D's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles, El Segundo
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Any reason to not pick up the xbr850b now that the price has been slashed? Screen uniformity issues?
I purchased mine on 03/03/2015 and I'm still waiting for replacement because of screen uniformity issues.
Mine has gotten kind of bad in that respect. If the uniformity issues are not a big deal to you it is a really nice TV.
Hard to say if your panel will have issues....
LD-838D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
radical banding , XBR-49X850B , XBR-70X850B

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off