"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-49X850B / XBR-55X850B / XBR-65X850B / XBR-70X850B Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 585Likes

post #4201 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 06:46 AM
KMR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshee View Post
My set rebooted itself once, about 2-3 minutes after turning the set on. It did not reboot again after that, no red flashing LED either. I has been operating normally since then. No errors were reported in the Self Diagnostic.

This happened within the same time frame that both KMR and self-powered reported spontaneous reboots. Coincidence?

(My set is running PKG2.294AAA, installed via USB drive since I couldn't get PKG2.291AAA to auto-update via the internet.)
Mine did the reboot thing again this morning too. It reboots about three times, blinks red lights until I hit power on the remote, and then it seems fine.

I guess I need to call Sony, see if it's something that can be repaired. I just got the set, so hopefully they will consider this problem under the warranty.

I'm not sure if I'm running the firmware version you are. I did let it update when I first turned on the set after getting it set up, but I don't know how to check the FW version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
Mine did the reboot thing again this morning too. It reboots about three times, blinks red lights until I hit power on the remote, and then it seems fine.

I guess I need to call Sony, see if it's something that can be repaired. I just got the set, so hopefully they will consider this problem under the warranty.

I'm not sure if I'm running the firmware version you are. I did let it update when I first turned on the set after getting it set up, but I don't know how to check the FW version.
You can find the Software Version under the HELP menu: HOME>HELP(?)>Customer Support.

The model number and software version will be displayed at the top of the screen. If you select the System Information menu item, you'll find your sets model no., serial number, software version, and Device ID.

Below the SYSTEM INFORMATION item, you will see the SELF DIAGNOSIS checker which reports any errors recorded by the system. If you run the Self Diagnosis and it reports an error, you should report that error to Sony.
post #4203 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Did it reset your picture settings? It's weird that three people reported the same thing happening. I didn't use my set last night so I'll check it tonight when I get home. You wonder if it's coming from Sony thru the automatic update feature.

post #4204 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allornothing View Post
Did it reset your picture settings? It's weird that three people reported the same thing happening. I didn't use my set last night so I'll check it tonight when I get home. You wonder if it's coming from Sony thru the automatic update feature.
Settings were unchanged.

My suspicions are on the internet connection to Sony - yesterday, a REFRESH of the internet apps took hours to complete - and the set is on hard-wired Ethernet, with a 100 Mbps connection (the Sony network typically maxes out around 30Mbps, however.)

Some sets running "291" were unable to get the auto-update to "294" via the internet, mine included, and had to be updated via the USB method. I don't know if that issue has been resolved or if it's part of this issue.
post #4205 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Hey guys, long time follower of AVS, finally got around to registering to throw in my 2 cents with the 65xbr850b... I've had it for about 2 weeks now, also started with Daniel Tonks' (thanks DT!) recommended settings and tweaked slightly. I have also had a Samsung 65JU6500 set up on the floor since Monday to compare to the XBR. The Sony does win out with overall PQ, colors, and the UI (Samsung does have much less glare on the screen and slightly better uniformity - especially watching hockey/sports with left-right pan).

Getting on track with the recent posts, I just started watching the Sony again this morning after a couple days using the Sammy, and I also had this odd shut down. TV powered off, then the status LED kept blinking red - 3 flashes - until I powered back on, and no other trouble since. I am on FW .294AAA, settings seem unchanged. Since it's a new set (and I already have another one 2 feet away for now), I'm a little worried this could be a bigger issue. Any word from Sony on this?
post #4206 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
Hmmm ....yesterday, on my set, the picture went blank and the red light started flashing. This happened several times. It also happened this morning. Interestingly, as I was trying to troubleshoot, I found that if I ran all of my HDMI sources directly to the HDMI inputs on the Sony, instead of through my Denon receiver, everything works perfectly with no more blank screens or flashing red LEDs. Perhaps it was just a timing coincidence but it does make one scratch one's head!
Mine did the same thing, but I have my cable box hooked up directly to the TV right now (normally using a Yamaha receiver). I think its a coincidence.
post #4207 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 09:26 AM
KMR

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshee View Post
You can find the Software Version under the HELP menu: HOME>HELP(?)>Customer Support.

The model number and software version will be displayed at the top of the screen. If you select the System Information menu item, you'll find your sets model no., serial number, software version, and Device ID.

Below the SYSTEM INFORMATION item, you will see the SELF DIAGNOSIS checker which reports any errors recorded by the system. If you run the Self Diagnosis and it reports an error, you should report that error to Sony.
Much thanks. It appears I do not have the latest firmware, as mine is "291AAA" instead of "294".

Self diagnosis didn't reveal anything.

And someone else asked if my settings had changed - no, those have not.
post #4208 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, that's what I was saying. My satellite box, Blu-ray player and Roku are all hooked up directly to the TV now and there are no problems. Or do you mean you had the problem with your cable box hooked up to the TV?
I had the problem when my cable box was connected directly to the TV.
post #4209 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks View Post
I'd love someone who can afford to call their bluff, to stick to their guns and see just what the heck they ship you if you don't agree to pay more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMagnuM View Post
The Abe's Of Maine offer are BS ... you're going to end up talking to them on the phone and they're going to propose a bigger price for the US Version of the TV (which operates on a "different frequency" and apps are not working). At least this the is BS I head from them twice.

Just don't buy from them ... their predatory strategy sucks.
They wasted three days of my time when I wanted to buy the XBR-850b. They said the set advertised was a lower end version "850b2" with a lower end panel and 90 day warrnaty which is total BS. Also, they are not an authorized Sony dealer. They wanted another $200 to get the true 850b. They should be shut down via attorney general. I'm sick of their ultra low prices showing up when I am looking for electronics knowing that they are scamming people by the hundreds on a daily basis.

Last edited by PVCDroid; 05-01-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: additional information
post #4210 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oliver View Post
I can't believe sony still hasn't posed the new firmware in automatic update. What the heck are they doing over there?
I know that the Xperia phone series is getting upgraded to Lollipop which is over 1gb download and millions of phones to update. The Sony networks are probably tuned to handle that right now. Just download it the new firmware manually. It's pretty simple. Or wait, you aren't missing that much.
post #4211 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Weird that I have the non 4k display (65w950b) and yesterday my set experienced the same thing. I too am on 2.91 and I have of these sets, one in my living room and one in my bedroom. The living room rebooted over and over until going to the flashing LED, the one in the bedroom only reboots once after initially turning it on. Ironically I came in this thread since on the site it shows the firmware to be the same for both sets. I am going to do the factory and power reset mentioned on the support site and see what happens. Whats strange is the site says the firmware is from about a month ago and mine never auto installed it or anything and it is set to.
post #4212 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Talking about 294 update I never hear it from owner to be able to do it just with TV , all what I read including my set needs to be done ober USB stick and working great much better then 291 a specially 3D.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses, Emotiva XPA-200
Sony XBR65X930E , Oppo 203
Projector and scren shopping now :D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3,
post #4213 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVCDroid View Post
Just download it the new firmware manually. It's pretty simple. Or wait, you aren't missing that much.
Well it seems it's anything BUT simple. Somehow Sony managed to make it as fussy as possible by only working on some older memory sticks and the whole process done on PC not Mac even when it is formatted properly. The 3D is currently terrible so I am really looking forward to the update.

Overall I am really happy with the set, my only real complaint is the artifacts I see around moving objects.

post #4214 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well it seems it's anything BUT simple. Somehow Sony managed to make it as fussy as possible by only working on some older memory sticks and the whole process done on PC not Mac even when it is formatted properly. The 3D is currently terrible so I am really looking forward to the update.

Overall I am really happy with the set, my only real complaint is the artifacts I see around moving objects.

Do you have latest update? Pkg294 improve 3d a big time.

Denon X6200W
post #4215 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Sadly just 291 as none of the memory sticks I used work.
retro124 likes this.
post #4216 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahby View Post
Weird that I have the non 4k display (65w950b) and yesterday my set experienced the same thing. I too am on 2.91 and I have of these sets, one in my living room and one in my bedroom. The living room rebooted over and over until going to the flashing LED, the one in the bedroom only reboots once after initially turning it on. Ironically I came in this thread since on the site it shows the firmware to be the same for both sets. I am going to do the factory and power reset mentioned on the support site and see what happens. Whats strange is the site says the firmware is from about a month ago and mine never auto installed it or anything and it is set to.
There appears to be a bug in PKG2.291AAA which renders the automatic software update function unable to "see" the more recent update (PKG2.294AAA) over the internet. (There have been ZERO reports of "291" updating to "294" automatically via the built-in software update function.)

Until Sony fixes the problem, the only way to successfully update to "294" is to download the update, extract the update folder from the file, put it on a USB stick (thumb drive) and update the set via USB directly.

The REBOOT issue does not appear to be isolated to "291" or "294" : it looks like it affected both versions, from what I'm reading here.
post #4217 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had problem when I used Mac do download it. With windows it worked fine. From what Sony said small size USB formated to fat32 the best is use windows pc. Also if you contacted Sony they will send it to you onein US $15 + shipping.

Denon X6200W
post #4218 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 02:59 PM

"I think its a coincidence." - Huh? Obviously systemic with these sets.

I just upgraded ~2 weeks ago to this TV and I've been experiencing similar problems over the past ~48 hours. Started the same time as the original posting about this. Noticed it with both FIOS and Apple TV, though that doesn't mean BR Player or XBox wouldn't also produce the problem.

Mine is slightly different only in that I don't believe I'm getting the red blinks, and sometimes I see the startup screen (black, just the word 'Sony'). I'm running PKG2.291AAA on a 65 4K. My anecdotal guess is that it has something to do a push Sony is trying (unsuccessfully) to make. Problems, system reboots. Nothing to back that up, other than a set of disparate sets - geographically, capabilities, dimension wise - probably all using the smart functions on the TV either through wifi or ethernet.

I've turned off wifi for the short term to see if it's related. I'll post again if this didn't solve it. If it did, its just a waiting game until Sony gets their act together.
post #4219 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 03:04 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Hmmm ....yesterday, on my set, the picture went blank and the red light started flashing. This happened several times. It also happened this morning. Interestingly, as I was trying to troubleshoot, I found that if I ran all of my HDMI sources directly to the HDMI inputs on the Sony, instead of through my Denon receiver, everything works perfectly with no more blank screens or flashing red LEDs. Perhaps it was just a timing coincidence but it does make one scratch one's head!
My 70X850B is also rebooting since installing the 294AAA update... I downloaded and installed myself when it was released.
post #4220 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Love the TV so gimmicky 3D wasn't / isn't a deal breaker. But when I go up to 294 I hope you're right, b/c I agree the 3d on 291 is terrible. Borderline unusable.

So far no restarts w/ wifi off.
post #4221 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I pulled the trigger today, got an open box buy from hhgregg's on a 55X850B, for 1350 no interest for 24 months . I went through the new setup and the PQ looks good to me, will play with the picture settings later. Netflix 4K looks great, upconvert of my dish network looks good, the SD not so much, but I didn't expect it to. Don't watch SD anyway, LOL

Jim
post #4222 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 05:38 PM

Noticed the problem's now reported on Sony's official forum, too.

I don't have enough posts to place an inline link, so:
community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/TV-crashes-with-connection-to-Wifi-or-LAN-network/m-p/501706#U501706
post #4223 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Have you tried doing a long reformat ? it worked for me on a sandisk memory card using a usb memory card reader. Also when you bring up the reformat check the box that puts everything at default.

Sony XBR65-850B and KDL-55 HX800
Marantz 1403
B&W 601's fronts , B&W CC6 Center and Athena micra rears
SVS PC12-NDS & Mirage Omni S10
post #4224 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_webb View Post
Love the TV so gimmicky 3D wasn't / isn't a deal breaker. But when I go up to 294 I hope you're right, b/c I agree the 3d on 291 is terrible. Borderline unusable.

So far no restarts w/ wifi off.
Yes you should do it asap to start enjoy nice 3D as well. I did not have reboot problem before and have it even now.

Denon X6200W
post #4225 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did help macshee to update his Tv, he paid both way shipping and I send him my old USB stick and worked great for my TV and also for his. So if someone willing to pay shipping both ways I'm willing to send my old USB stick with pkg2.294 update.

Denon X6200W
post #4226 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So did you guys who updated see a difference in your 3D? if so what was it?

I'm updated to .294 but have not watched a 3d movie yet, best one I have is transformers age of extinction, so we'll see.

Watching it earlier, prior to the update, the only thing that really impressed me about the movie was the opening Transformers title a few minutes in which looked like it was off the screen
post #4227 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Never had my set reboot - connected to LAN. Wish I could help on that one.

For updating, all you want it a dirt cheap USB stick from the dollar store, none of these fancy high-gig ones that mount as hard drives versus standard removable media, or have hidden partitions. The first stick I tried (a 2gb giveaway) worked fine. And if a particular USB stick works when formatted on a PC and not a Mac (as has been reported), then clearly the Mac isn't formatting it correctly!
post #4228 of 5927 Old 05-01-2015, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
First off I've been having the reboot issue the last two days just as others before me have reported....

But an even more annoying problem is I've been experiencing audio drop outs from all my native Internet Apps that are on the TV. I'm running the latest 294 firmware and I've tried both
rebooting and factory resetting both my Denon Receiver and the TV but the problem still persists.

The funny thing is it only happens on the native apps that are on the TV (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc....) and on the devices I have directly plugged into the TV that use the ARC feature to my
receiver. All the other devices I have plugged directly into my receiver work perfectly fine.

The last thing I tried was switching the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV and it made no difference whatsoever.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or one similar?

Last edited by GSimmons1987; 05-01-2015 at 10:54 PM.
post #4229 of 5927 Old 05-02-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperslayer View Post
So did you guys who updated see a difference in your 3D? if so what was it?
Yes, 3D is very much improved in PKG2.294AA on the passive 65X850B.

When my set was new, I used the PS3 and it's Netflix app to check out all of the 3D content available at the time (11/14).

Some of the 3D content on Netflix displayed poorly, heavy crosstalk, ghosting, motion blur, etc. while some seem absolutely fine.

After the USB update to PKG2.294AAA, the Netflix 3D content that was unwatchable before now looks very good. But the most striking change was on Bluray 3D: "Gravity" 3D on Blu Ray is near perfect in 3D, it's among the best 3D I've seen now, where before it was just OK.
Sniperslayer likes this.
post #4230 of 5927 Old 05-02-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Tonks View Post
Never had my set reboot - connected to LAN. Wish I could help on that one.

For updating, all you want it a dirt cheap USB stick from the dollar store, none of these fancy high-gig ones that mount as hard drives versus standard removable media, or have hidden partitions. The first stick I tried (a 2gb giveaway) worked fine. And if a particular USB stick works when formatted on a PC and not a Mac (as has been reported), then clearly the Mac isn't formatting it correctly!
That's what I thought as well, that the Mac isn't formatting FAT32 correctly. Yet - all of the Mac formatted USB drives I tried worked perfectly for MEDIA - the USB sticks were immediately seen by the X850 and had no problems playing any content on the USB drives.

The problem starts when you put the update folder on the USB drive, by itself, at the root level of the drive. The TV rejects the USB immediately, with a message to the effect that the USB drive cannot be used to update the TV.

I even removed the Mac-created invisible files from the USBs that I though may have been causing the conflict - no change.

It seems to be USB device dependent, some drives work OK with Macs, some don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
radical banding , XBR-49X850B , XBR-70X850B

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page