"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-49X850B / XBR-55X850B / XBR-65X850B / XBR-70X850B Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1214 Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
Does the 4K upscaling make sporting program like football any better or is it just equal to 1080P tv.
It will look just the same if you already have a good 1080p set. The upscaling is more of a marketing pitch than anything. If you do not currently have a top of the line 1080P set, you will notice a big differnce though.

Cable TV will look just the same on a great 1080 plasma, 4k set, or even a top of the line 1080P LED.

I would not suggest buying a new TV b.c you are planning on any great picture booster b.c of the "upscaling." If you are in a market for a new tv though, it only makes sense to buy a 4k set. They are virtually the same price as the top plasma (f8500) or standard 1080P LED.

I have both a sony 900A and the samsung f8500 plasma. The plasma looks better for sports just b.c of better motion handeling, but the rest of the content I watch is basically a wash, minus the 4k content.

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 07-22-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1214 Old 07-22-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Upscaling benefit comes when you put reality creation to high because then you can add finer artificial sharpness to the picture compared to 1080p set.
post #453 of 1214 Old 07-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
I was hoping that owners could advise on a comment I received from Best Buy on the Sony 4K TV. They said that the picture on upscaling is good but the picture starts to degrade more (blur/sharpness) on fast action sports like football. Best buy said that 1080P set are better for fast action sports like football. Do any of you agree or disagree with this? Is any 4K set worse than the other in this area? I am really concerned about the upscaling of cable signal of 1080I on football, it is an inportant aspet to me. Would a 1080P set be better for sports /football? Thanks.
Putting the same post on three or four different forums is not productive.
post #454 of 1214 Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi again everyone, I have another question about the Sony X850B series television.

My question is this, does built in Skype camera have to be pushed back manually by hand or is it somehow done electronically by some remote command?

If it is done electronically can anyone tell me where in the televisions menu I can find the command?
post #455 of 1214 Old 07-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
You do it manually.
post #456 of 1214 Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone compared the KDL 65w850A and the XBR 65 X850B?
post #457 of 1214 Old 07-22-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Putting the same post on three or four different forums is not productive.
Thank you again for voicing your concern and I hope I clarified this for you in my post in the 55X850A and 65X850A thread. I am trying to obtain information from a difference group of owners on 4 K TV's. Thanks.
post #458 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just got my 49x850b set up last night. Based on limited use, I would say that there is little difference in picture quality with cable between a quality 1080p set and a 4k unit, certainly the way I have mine set up right now. On the other hand, fed a 4k signal (Netflix), there is a rather clear difference. As more 4K content is made available, the 4k sets should be quite a bit more worthwhile. I'm especially hopeful that when 4k Bluray arrives, the results will be nothing short of breathtaking.

By the way, I'm not ready yet to comment further on the set. I want to work with it more before weighing in.
post #459 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have a 40" XBR2 and I'm wondering if the 49" is enough of a size upgrade. I'm thinking that the 55" may be the better way to go. The 49" price point is very good. Anyone else upgrade from a similar (40") set?

I too am interested to see how the Netflix UHD looks. Wouldn't it be great if stores could actually display real source inputs that people use?

I think the only thing that is making me hesitate is the uncertatinty of future 4K hardware requirements. Are there any issues with hardware compatibility that anyone sees coming up for this line of Sony tv's?
post #460 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Thank you again for voicing your concern and I hope I clarified this for you in my post in the 55X850A and 65X850A thread. I am trying to obtain information from a difference group of owners on 4 K TV's. Thanks.
Dollars to donuts, if you own one of these models, you read most of the associated threads. To reiterate, if you post and show a little patience, you'll get responses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I was hoping.PNG
Views:	27
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	175738  
post #461 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
Dollars to donuts, if you own one of these models, you read most of the associated threads. To reiterate, if you post and show a little patience, you'll get responses.

I am very sorry you are feeling this way but I do not own one of these sets yet. I would really appreciate you help. I do show patients but if I am going to reach different owner of different TV's I would have to communicate in the different threads. Thanks for your help.
post #462 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I am very sorry you are feeling this way but I do not own one of these sets yet. I would really appreciate you help. I do show patients but if I am going to reach different owner of different TV's I would have to communicate in the different threads. Thanks for your help.
Different forums have different audiences, albeit with some overlap. In my view it is perfectly legitimate to post of several forums. No different than going to 4-5 different stores to get differing salesman's viewpoints. Your chances are surely better if you multi post. What is not ok is multi posting in different categories of the same forum, but I think you know that already.
post #463 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post
Just got my 49x850b set up last night. Based on limited use, I would say that there is little difference in picture quality with cable between a quality 1080p set and a 4k unit, certainly the way I have mine set up right now. On the other hand, fed a 4k signal (Netflix), there is a rather clear difference. As more 4K content is made available, the 4k sets should be quite a bit more worthwhile. I'm especially hopeful that when 4k Bluray arrives, the results will be nothing short of breathtaking.

By the way, I'm not ready yet to comment further on the set. I want to work with it more before weighing in.
See post 452 and perhaps if you would be so kind to let us know what happens if you set "reality creation" to HIGH as Raitsi suggests. He claims that generates the best upscaling. I am seriously considering this set as upgrade from 40XBR6. If the PQ is only a wash, I may wait for more 4K material so this is key.
post #464 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well to clarify my previous comment.... Reality creation should be set about to35-40 for HD content in my experience. Automatic setting is about 85, which is quite bad actually(just see what happens). But setting RC to 0 makes picture too soft even with sharpness at 50. Games can use very high RC settings for best picture quality in my experience (about 70 in Dark souls 2 works for me)
post #465 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
From my experience being 1080p or 4k will have zero effect on sports. LCD in general always has a slight motion blur. Some people notice it and some do not. Plasma/OLED will remain best for sports, but being 1080p or upscaled 4k will make zero difference.
That about sums it up .

You can not believe everything you read or hear....

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #466 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Have had my XBR65x850b for 1 week. After having many large LCD TV's in and out of my house over the past 2 years. I am keeping this one. I am a huge F1 fan and one of the main issues I have had with LCD TV's is the screen banding during fast camera pans following the cars on a gray race track surface. The banding would drive me crazy. This TV has really addressed the issue. As far as the gray blacks everyone is talking about. I don't think who ever is saying this has tried working with the settings. I was watching Sin City last night an the gradation of black and gray was nothing short of amazing. And before anyone says that the 850a is a better set I will politely disagree. I saw a lot of jitter on the 850a that I do not see on the 850b. A good way to see this is run the credits of any BD movie on the 850a vs the 850b and you will see the credits smoothly run up the screen on the 850b unlike the 850a. I also noticed people talking about flash lighting on the 850b being a problem. As far as that is concerned I suppose I got lucky. It is about the same if not better than the 850a and worlds better than the LG 65 and Vizeo 65 and Samsung 65 7150..

I also like the appearance of the 850b over the 850a. The "a" had a chrome circle stand in the middle vs the blacked out adjustable width V stands on the "b". This makes it nice for people with table stands not as wide as the TV itself. Also if you have a Xbox one or a PS4 camera you don't need to worry about camera placement like you did with the chrome circle stand on the 850a.
benneyb likes this.

HDave (may the 4K be with you)

I may not post all the time. But when I do, I post on avsforum

Last edited by HDave; 07-23-2014 at 08:20 AM.
post #467 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Different forums have different audiences, albeit with some overlap. In my view it is perfectly legitimate to post of several forums. No different than going to 4-5 different stores to get differing salesman's viewpoints. Your chances are surely better if you multi post. What is not ok is multi posting in different categories of the same forum, but I think you know that already.
I am sorry you feel that way. But you need to understand that there are different people /owner of these 4k TVs in the different model threads each with a different experience who may not look or review all the other model threads like you do. Thank you for your opinion. I would appreciate any comments regarding my questions regarding 4K TV's
post #468 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That about sums it up .

You can not believe everything you read or hear....
I could theoretically see why sports/motion blur would be worse on a 4K set, in that the processor has to handle the upconverting of the pixels in addition to the motion processing. If the processor isn't up to the raw processing requirement it could result in more imperfections than with a native 1080P set. I personally haven't observed this problem but I haven't sampled a lot of sports on the 4K sets yet. So I'm not agreeing with the BB claim, just saying I could understand the logic of how it could be true.
post #469 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
I am sorry you feel that way. But you need to understand that there are different people /owner of these 4k TVs in the different model threads each with a different experience who may not look or review all the other model threads like you do. Thank you for your opinion. I would appreciate any comments regarding my questions regarding 4K TV's
Don't worry about it. Post where you want. If someone doesn't want to read the same post they saw in another thread they can skip it like most of us do.
post #470 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDave View Post
Have had my XBR65x850b for 1 week. After having many large LCD TV's in and out of my house over the past 2 years. I am keeping this one. I am a huge F1 fan and one of the main issues I have had with LCD TV's is the screen banding during fast camera pans following the cars on a gray race track surface. The banding would drive me crazy. This TV has really addressed the issue. As far as the gray blacks everyone is talking about. I don't think who ever is saying this has tried working with the settings. I was watching Sin City last night an the gradation of black and gray was nothing short of amazing. And before anyone says that the 850a is a better set I will politely disagree. I saw a lot of jitter on the 850a that I do not see on the 850b. A good way to see this is run the credits of any BD movie on the 850a vs the 850b and you will see the credits smoothly run up the screen on the 850b unlike the 850a. I also noticed people talking about flash lighting on the 850b being a problem. As far as that is concerned I suppose I got lucky. It is about the same if not better than the 850a and worlds better than the LG 65 and Vizeo 65 and Samsung 65 7150..

I also like the appearance of the 850b over the 850a. The "a" had a chrome circle stand in the middle vs the blacked out adjustable width V stands on the "b". This makes it nice for people with table stands not as wide as the TV itself. Also if you have a Xbox one or a PS4 camera you don't need to worry about camera placement like you did with the chrome circle stand on the 850a.
I have had the 65 inch set since yesterday and I must say that I was blown away with the upscaling capability of regular HD content.
Netflix is noticeably bad quality for HD content apparantly, cause when I tried a Blu Ray it was quite stunning.

What settings did you try to get the black levels to have more detail?
It could be because I have a very bright living room and the screen is quite glossy. So whenever something dark is in the picture it's looking at a mirror.
post #471 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is great to hear. One of the main reason I am considering switching from a 900a to the 850b is banding. I know I may give up a few things, but uniformity is the single most important thing to me as a major sports watcher.
post #472 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the X850B link to Bluetooth headphones?
I have a KDL 65W850A which has bluetooth capability but Sony says won't link to BT headphones. What to do? How do you listen via headphones?
Thank you all.
post #473 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Question I'm locked & loaded to get 55X850B now which upscaled Blu-Ray play would be the best on the market to pair up with this set .....Thanks
post #474 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashika View Post
I have had the 65 inch set since yesterday and I must say that I was blown away with the upscaling capability of regular HD content.
Netflix is noticeably bad quality for HD content apparantly, cause when I tried a Blu Ray it was quite stunning.

What settings did you try to get the black levels to have more detail?
It could be because I have a very bright living room and the screen is quite glossy. So whenever something dark is in the picture it's looking at a mirror.
I had to hardwire my cat 5 to the TV instead of using wifi and adjust my setting on Netflix to get full 4k. As far as the black levels. I turned off the auto room light adjustment and played with the reference blu ray DVD I have to adjust blk levels. Made a world of difference. Hope this helps.

post #475 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
That is great to hear. One of the main reason I am considering switching from a 900a to the 850b is banding. I know I may give up a few things, but uniformity is the single most important thing to me as a major sports watcher.
If you think baseball, soccer or football is a tough test for banding you should try watching F1 with all that gray track panning going on it was really hard to move away from my LED DLP. That is till I found this set. It is not completely gone. But what I see -vs- someone that has no idea. It is an amazing improvement in the LCD TV arena.

post #476 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Question I'm locked & loaded to get 55X850B now which upscaled Blu-Ray play would be the best on the market to pair up with this set .....Thanks
The Sony S790 if you can find one then the Oppo (if price it not a worries I would put this 1st), then the Sony S6200

post #477 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you think baseball, soccer or football is a tough test for banding you should try watching F1 with all that gray track panning going on it was really hard to move away from my LED DLP. That is till I found this set. It is not completely gone. But what I see -vs- someone that has no idea. It is an amazing improvement in the LCD TV arena.
It is pretty hard to not have any banding on these larger LEDs. Have you had a chance to compare it to other Sony sets (900a/900b/etc)? I wouldn't call the banding I see awful, but it is extremely noticeable if you know it is there. Are you even seeing it during football, baseball, soccer? Or is it just barely noticeable during F1 (which I agree is an extreme test)?
post #478 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
It is pretty hard to not have any banding on these larger LEDs. Have you had a chance to compare it to other Sony sets (900a/900b/etc)? I wouldn't call the banding I see awful, but it is extremely noticeable if you know it is there. Are you even seeing it during football, baseball, soccer? Or is it just barely noticeable during F1 (which I agree is an extreme test)?
Sorry I didn't really look at the 900's. I did look at the 950b though and that set is freaking amazing! Soccer was good, baseball was good. Football..........I guess tonight I can go on the NFL channel and see how it looks and report back.

As far as F1 is concerned. I am really picky when it comes to this. And this is the 1st tv that has made it past my 48 hrs test as far as F1 is concerned. I would put it under the just barley. As in if I tried to really hard to look for it I could see tt but like the race in Germany I just watched. The banding didnt even enter my thought once.

Last edited by HDave; 07-23-2014 at 12:24 PM.
post #479 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry I didn't really look at the 900's. I did look at the 950b though and that set is freaking amazing! Soccer was good, baseball was good. Football..........I guess tonight I can go on the NFL channel and see how it looks and report back.
Thanks. I am glad someone finally owns the set who is obsessed with banding! If you do not see it during soccer, I would say football is a lock for no banding.
post #480 of 1214 Old 07-23-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I am glad someone finally owns the set who is obsessed with banding! If you do not see it during soccer, I would say football is a lock for no banding.
I would like to say yes for sure on football. But natural turf and astro truf. cause some weird things to show up. So I am curious my self.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - XBR-49X850B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page