"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-49X850B / XBR-55X850B / XBR-65X850B / XBR-70X850B Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 02:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L. View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just bought the XBR-49X850B and was wondering if anyone has posted any settings yet?

Thanks
Posted mine for the 55" further back in the thread, I'm very happy with them.
herbuk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 02:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
The information on rtings is incorrect pertaining to the X850b. They show the 3d as Passive. It is Active. I know because my X850b came with two pair of Active 3d glasses.
I have both the 55 and 65 X850B and they most definitely have passive 3D.
Both came with 2 pairs of passive glasses (3D glasses bought in a cinema would work as a substitute).
herbuk is offline  
post #723 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbuk View Post
I have both the 55 and 65 X850B and they most definitely have passive 3D.
Both came with 2 pairs of passive glasses (3D glasses bought in a cinema would work as a substitute).
He corrected is post after that. He meant the 70" is active.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #724 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 05:55 AM
Member
 
Bob L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I went through the thread but must have missed it.
Bob L. is offline  
post #725 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 06:31 AM
Newbie
 
sim2lexus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsomnia View Post
Attempting to download a 4k video from you tube for the first time. I'm using the 4k downloader right to a USB then I plug the USB into the TV and it's says content not supported. Any idea what I'm missing?
The youtube client is full 4k if you have enough throughput there are many 4k videos tagged ultraHD, 4K.
But there also a plenty of no-HQ material there: if filmed on Sony fdr-ax1 is a warrant that is very good indeed, also on Vimeo client you can taste what a real 4K video could be.
I said that many of the material labelled 4K is rubbish, imagine that also a Galaxy-S5 can produce 4K videos.
This link has many macro shoots in 4K and the gem of entire video is the close up of the whatches:
The Sony PMWF55 has number to be your reference cam to find video material.
I programmed "discovery" to dig for 4k material on YouTube too, so it's easy to enjoy my TV.
sim2lexus is offline  
post #726 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Member
 
gwags80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XBR65x850A vs XBR65x850B

Can anyone provide me with a honest opinion on how the XBR65x850B compares to the XBR65x850A? I just purchased last year's 2013-A model on sale at Best Buy for $2200 and was disappointed to find out that I still need the $700 FMP-X10 to stream Netflix 4k content. This year's 2014-B model doesn't need the media player since the HEVC codec was built into the TV. What am I gaining/losing with the jump between models? I've heard that the 2013 handles motion processing better with the Motionflow XR 960 processor that the backlit display is better than the 2014 counterpart. Although the 2014 may have better viewing angle from the sides and an extended dynamic range (which may or may not be a gimmick?). In either case, I have a good friend who can get me the 2014 model for $2250 with his employee discount so I'm wondering if the $50 price bump is worth it since there is a lack of content and I may be downgrading with the specs...

Any thoughts out there enlightened AVS community?? Your help is always appreciated!
gwags80 is offline  
post #727 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwags80 View Post
Can anyone provide me with a honest opinion on how the XBR65x850B compares to the XBR65x850A? I just purchased last year's 2013-A model on sale at Best Buy for $2200 and was disappointed to find out that I still need the $700 FMP-X10 to stream Netflix 4k content. This year's 2014-B model doesn't need the media player since the HEVC codec was built into the TV. What am I gaining/losing with the jump between models? I've heard that the 2013 handles motion processing better with the Motionflow XR 960 processor that the backlit display is better than the 2014 counterpart. Although the 2014 may have better viewing angle from the sides and an extended dynamic range (which may or may not be a gimmick?). In either case, I have a good friend who can get me the 2014 model for $2250 with his employee discount so I'm wondering if the $50 price bump is worth it since there is a lack of content and I may be downgrading with the specs...

Any thoughts out there enlightened AVS community?? Your help is always appreciated!
I have only had 1 day with the 65x850b and have owned the x850a in the past. As it stands right now everything on the x850b is better. You already named most of those points; however, black levels pale in comparison. I still have to adjust more settings to see how good I can actually get them. Right now it seems as though I either get deep black with total crush (no detail at all) or gray blacks with detail.

What do you mostly watch? Sports, movies, shows? Do you watch movies in the dark? There are many things to consider.

If you mainly watch movies in the dark, I would suggest sticking with your 850a. If you watch mostly sports and movies/shows with the lights on, get the 850b without a doubt.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #728 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Member
 
gwags80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I have only had 1 day with the 65x850b and have owned the x850a in the past. As it stands right now everything on the x850b is better. You already named most of those points; however, black levels pale in comparison. I still have to adjust more settings to see how good I can actually get them. Right now it seems as though I either get deep black with total crush (no detail at all) or gray blacks with detail.

What do you mostly watch? Sports, movies, shows? Do you watch movies in the dark? There are many things to consider.

If you mainly watch movies in the dark, I would suggest sticking with your 850a. If you watch mostly sports and movies/shows with the lights on, get the 850b without a doubt.
I honestly do a little bit of everything. I bought the TV to replace a 50inch plasma in a well lit room that suffered from tremendous glare problems during the day with the reflective glass screen. But I mostly use the TV to watch movies and shows from an HTPC not capable of 4k resolution (that's the next upgrade!) with a little bit of Xbox One gaming thrown in for good measure (Madden/FIFA/COD/Titanfall mostly) and of course, football during the NFL season (not too big into many other sports). At night, I fire up a 1080p 120" projector if we want to have a movie night or the new Game of Thrones is airing

At this point I really want to know if having the HEVC codec onboard the TV is worth the upgrade. With such little 4k content out there I want to enjoy what's available without paying another $700 to be locked into a propietary Sony delivery service. At $50 for the upgrade, I also want to make sure I'm not losing too much if the 2013-A model has a better display than the 2014-B models. What do you think?
gwags80 is offline  
post #729 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwags80 View Post
I honestly do a little bit of everything. I bought the TV to replace a 50inch plasma in a well lit room that suffered from tremendous glare problems during the day with the reflective glass screen. But I mostly use the TV to watch movies and shows from an HTPC not capable of 4k resolution (that's the next upgrade!) with a little bit of Xbox One gaming thrown in for good measure (Madden/FIFA/COD/Titanfall mostly) and of course, football during the NFL season (not too big into many other sports). At night, I fire up a 1080p 120" projector if we want to have a movie night or the new Game of Thrones is airing

At this point I really want to know if having the HEVC codec onboard the TV is worth the upgrade. With such little 4k content out there I want to enjoy what's available without paying another $700 to be locked into a propietary Sony delivery service. At $50 for the upgrade, I also want to make sure I'm not losing too much if the 2013-A model has a better display than the 2014-B models. What do you think?
Having netflix built in is nice and so is USB playback for 4k content, but I would not "upgrade" for those reason. The reasons I made the jump is b.c of very noticeable banding and dark circles towards the top of all of the VA panels sony is using (850a/900a/900b) during panning shots. There is zero of that on the 850b. A clear sky is bright and not hindered by the flaws in the panel.

I think the brightness makes a big difference. Even with a backlight of 2, the 850B is brighter than the "A" series on max. Bright scenes are real eye candy.

I think as an overall tv I prefer the 850b. I know Cleveland plasma always brings up the point about a newer TV being better on the merit of being the latest and greatest. I agree with this in part. Who knows what under the hood changes were made from the 2013-2014 sets.

Oh and the 3D on the 65"B is acutally 1080p.

At the end of the day you want to watch 4k content on your 4k tv. The best way to do that is with a 2014 set. They have HEVC and USB playback. Neither of those will ever be an option on the A series.

edit: The motion flow settings are a complete joke. There is no difference in motion between either set.
tubetwister and SL600 like this.

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 08-14-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #730 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Member
 
gwags80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Having netflix built in is nice and so is USB playback for 4k content, but I would not "upgrade" for those reason. The reasons I made the jump is b.c of very noticeable banding and dark circles towards the top of all of the VA panels sony is using (850a/900a/900b) during panning shots. There is zero of that on the 850b. A clear sky is bright and not hindered by the flaws in the panel.

I think the brightness makes a big difference. Even with a backlight of 2, the 850B is brighter than the "A" series on max. Bright scenes are real eye candy.

I think as an overall tv I prefer the 850b. I know Cleveland plasma always brings up the point about a newer TV being better on the merit of being the latest and greatest. I agree with this in part. Who knows what under the hood changes were made from the 2013-2014 sets.

Oh and the 3D on the 65"B is acutally 1080p.

At the end of the day you want to watch 4k content on your 4k tv. The best way to do that is with a 2014 set. They have HEVC and USB playback. Neither of those will ever be an option on the A series.

edit: The motion flow settings are a complete joke. There is no difference in motion between either set.
Thank you, good sir. Your help has been substantial and appreciated! The motionview 960 XR vs the 240 in the 2014 set was basically my only real hang up, but if you think it's negligible I think I'll return the 2013 model and go with the 2014 instead.
gwags80 is offline  
post #731 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
ptlurking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim2lexus View Post
The youtube client is full 4k if you have enough throughput there are many 4k videos tagged ultraHD, 4K.
But there also a plenty of no-HQ material there: if filmed on Sony fdr-ax1 is a warrant that is very good indeed, also on Vimeo client you can taste what a real 4K video could be.
I said that many of the material labelled 4K is rubbish, imagine that also a Galaxy-S5 can produce 4K videos.
This link has many macro shoots in 4K and the gem of entire video is the close up of the whatches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB4Q5ow98OY
The Sony PMWF55 has number to be your reference cam to find video material.
I programmed "discovery" to dig for 4k material on YouTube too, so it's easy to enjoy my TV.
Lots of great eye candy in this video...
The girl is no doubt very beautiful... but how about that turntable! YOWSA!!!
ptlurking is offline  
post #732 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwags80 View Post
Thank you, good sir. Your help has been substantial and appreciated! The motionview 960 XR vs the 240 in the 2014 set was basically my only real hang up, but if you think it's negligible I think I'll return the 2013 model and go with the 2014 instead.
it is 100% negligible. If anything, I would give the slight edge to the x850b. I think gaming has less blur.
tubetwister and SL600 like this.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #733 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Member
 
crg5698's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking about purchasing this unit. I know there isn't much 4K content out there. Will Directv look better on this unit than a non 4k TV?
crg5698 is offline  
post #734 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg5698 View Post
Thinking about purchasing this unit. I know there isn't much 4K content out there. Will Directv look better on this unit than a non 4k TV?
If you already have a really good 1080P set, it will look the same.
tubetwister likes this.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #735 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Member
 
crg5698's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So it really isn't worth it to buy any 4K unit? Besides up-scaling blue-ray movies and watching other downloaded 4k content what are the benefits?
crg5698 is offline  
post #736 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg5698 View Post
So it really isn't worth it to buy any 4K unit? Besides up-scaling blue-ray movies and watching other downloaded 4k content what are the benefits?
Now that 4k tvs are very close to the price of a top tier LED, it makes sense. If you are in the market for a new tv, buying 4k makes perfect sense to future proof your purchase; however, if you do not need a new tv, I would not upgrade just to have 4k.

Also, now that the LG OLED's are going to start at $3500 it really changes things. For an extra $500 you could have the most important thing in a picture (contrast) be nearly perfect. Granted you would lose 10"!

If I needed a TV today and my budget was $3000, I would only consider a 4k set or an OLED.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #737 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
He corrected is post after that. He meant the 70" is active.
Actually I did not correct my post because my post saying that the x850b was Active 3d was every bit as accurate as the rting page saying the x850b was Passive. My point was that rting indicated that the entire x850b line up is Passive. That is not only misleading it is absolutely false and they should know better. (ever hear of a proof reader?) Since they did not specify the 49, 55 and 65 that statement leads you to believe that all x850b's are passive and they are not. As I mentioned, this thread is titled 49x, 55x, 65x and 70x which also incorrectly leads the reader to believe that all x850b's use the same technology and thus provide the same picture qualities. That is simply not true. The 70 is quite different then the other three sizes making any reviews lumped together inaccurate.
Mattopotamus and tubetwister like this.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #738 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Member
 
crg5698's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Now that 4k tvs are very close to the price of a top tier LED, it makes sense. If you are in the market for a new tv, buying 4k makes perfect sense to future proof your purchase; however, if you do not need a new tv, I would not upgrade just to have 4k.

Also, now that the LG OLED's are going to start at $3500 it really changes things. For an extra $500 you could have the most important thing in a picture (contrast) be nearly perfect. Granted you would lose 10"!

If I needed a TV today and my budget was $3000, I would only consider a 4k set or an OLED.
Thanks for the replies.

I am in the market for a new TV and thats why I was looking at the 4k units. 55 inch is what I am looking to buy. For an extra $400 I could have the XBR55X850B instead of the KDL55W950B. If not the W950B what would be a better non 4k TV?
crg5698 is offline  
post #739 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mattopotamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg5698 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I am in the market for a new TV and thats why I was looking at the 4k units. 55 inch is what I am looking to buy. For an extra $400 I could have the XBR55X850B instead of the KDL55W950B. If not the W950B what would be a better non 4k TV?
Both of those TVs are amazing with fantastic contrast. If you want a 55" and are looking at spending that much, have you considered the OLEDs? I just really think they take PQ to a whole new level. I am not trying to push you one way or derail the tread, but if you are considering a 55" TV in that price range, OLED is the best.

Just take your favorite Blu-ray to best buy and demo it on the new OLED if you can. I think you will be blown away.

EDIT:
sorry, for some reason I thought you meant the xbrx900b, which is $3k. I would take the 4k x850b over the w950b.

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 08-14-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Mattopotamus is offline  
post #740 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Member
 
crg5698's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Both of those TVs are amazing with fantastic contrast. If you want a 55" and are looking at spending that much, have you considered the OLEDs? I just really think they take PQ to a whole new level. I am not trying to push you one way or derail the tread, but if you are considering a 55" TV in that price range, OLED is the best.

Just take your favorite Blu-ray to best buy and demo it on the new OLED if you can. I think you will be blown away.

EDIT:
sorry, for some reason I thought you meant the xbrx900b, which is $3k. I would take the 4k x850b over the w950b.
ok, thanks for the info and reqs. i will probably lean to the 4k unit.
crg5698 is offline  
post #741 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Both of those TVs are amazing with fantastic contrast. If you want a 55" and are looking at spending that much, have you considered the OLEDs? I just really think they take PQ to a whole new level. I am not trying to push you one way or derail the tread, but if you are considering a 55" TV in that price range, OLED is the best.

Just take your favorite Blu-ray to best buy and demo it on the new OLED if you can. I think you will be blown away.

EDIT:
sorry, for some reason I thought you meant the xbrx900b, which is $3k. I would take the 4k x850b over the w950b.
I agree with the55x850b. If the price difference is that close. I've seen the 70w850b for under $1800 so I would expect to see the 55w950b for somewhere in the $1200 range in the near future. Both sets have the X-Reality Pro engine and the TRILUMINUCE color filter and 3d of some kind. I would expect the x to have about 10% better picture in 2d and maybe even more in 3d.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #742 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
sgbroimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: CT Shore
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Now that 4k tvs are very close to the price of a top tier LED, it makes sense. If you are in the market for a new tv, buying 4k makes perfect sense to future proof your purchase; however, if you do not need a new tv, I would not upgrade just to have 4k.

Also, now that the LG OLED's are going to start at $3500 it really changes things. For an extra $500 you could have the most important thing in a picture (contrast) be nearly perfect. Granted you would lose 10"!

If I needed a TV today and my budget was $3000, I would only consider a 4k set or an OLED.
For those of us that are space-limited, no 49" OLED's likely, right?
sgbroimp is offline  
post #743 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
For those of us that are space-limited, no 49" OLED's likely, right?
49" is a pretty unique size I think. Not sure I've ever seen 49" until recently. I think you may see some sub 50" displays in a few years.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #744 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Member
 
SL600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
XBR65X850B Reflections / Glare

I currently have a KDL-60EX700 and I'm thinking of upgrading to the XBR-65X850B. My family room has lots of sunlight coming. How are the reflections / glare of the XBR compared to the KDL?
SL600 is offline  
post #745 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Member
 
SL600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL600 View Post
I currently have a KDL-60EX700 and I'm thinking of upgrading to the XBR-65X850B. My family room has lots of sunlight coming. How are the reflections / glare of the XBR compared to the KDL?
Here is a picture of my current setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	212217  
SL600 is offline  
post #746 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Member
 
benneyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monmouth Cty, New Jersey
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
If you already have a really good 1080P set, it will look the same.
Sorry, but I disagree. Strongly. The upconversion on this set is nothing short of amazing. I'm a nitpicker and fault finder. I expected to find significant fault with the upconversion.

I spent a couple of hours examining this on a variety of material, using freeze frames and full motion, toggling the Reality Creation on and off.

The better the source, the better the results. Using source Blu-Rays such as Avatar or Samsara, the results are very obvious. Meaning shockingly good. I can never look at 1080p the same again.

My true test? My wife, who has no technical interest in TVs, and is pissed at me for buying this tv anyway, was looking from 25 feet away in the kitchen and asked while I was watching Avatar - "Is that 3D?". No, but the depth it had looked like 3D.
benneyb is offline  
post #747 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
rviele's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbuk View Post
Posted mine for the 55" further back in the thread, I'm very happy with them.
ijust got a 55" xbr850b. here are my settings. would appreciate comments.
backlight-3
picture-46
bright-35
color-52
hue-0
color temp-neutral
thanks
rviele
rviele is offline  
post #748 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post
ijust got a 55" xbr850b. here are my settings. would appreciate comments.
backlight-3
picture-46
bright-35
color-52
hue-0
color temp-neutral
thanks
rviele
You didn't mention your mode choice. After going into the Preferrence section and turning off Eco/Power save and Auto Dimmig, I chose Scene Select of General, and Custom Mode, Backlight-Max, Picture-Max, Bright-48, Color-32 , Hue-0, Color Temp-Neutral, Sharpness-70, NR-Low, MPEG-Low, DNR-Low, Reality Cr-Auto, Smooth Grad-Low, Motionflow-Smooth,Cinemotion-Auto, Black Corrector-Medium, Adv CE-Medium, Live Color- Medium, Detail Enhance-Low. All else OFF. FWIW, my wife likes the same settings in VIVID Mode and they look pretty good in Standard Mode.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #749 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
rviele's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 717
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
You didn't mention your mode choice. After going into the Preferrence section and turning off Eco/Power save and Auto Dimmig, I chose Scene Select of General, and Custom Mode, Backlight-Max, Picture-Max, Bright-48, Color-32 , Hue-0, Color Temp-Neutral, Sharpness-70, NR-Low, MPEG-Low, DNR-Low, Reality Cr-Auto, Smooth Grad-Low, Motionflow-Smooth,Cinemotion-Auto, Black Corrector-Medium, Adv CE-Medium, Live Color- Medium, Detail Enhance-Low. All else OFF. FWIW, my wife likes the same settings in VIVID Mode and they look pretty good in Standard Mode.
i'm going to continue tweaking there is a significant difference between what the wife likes and what i think is correct. difference in std and custom settings is something i did. going to have to work on the brightness though.
rjv
rviele is offline  
post #750 of 1120 Old 08-14-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post
i'm going to continue tweaking there is a significant difference between what the wife likes and what i think is correct. difference in std and custom settings is something i did. going to have to work on the brightness though.
rjv
Quote:
ijust got a 55" xbr850b. here are my settings. would appreciate comments.
backlight-3
picture-46
bright-35
color-52
hue-0
color temp-neutral
thanks
rviele


^^^^ No no .......... try this

start here see how you like it (see below) ..................should present most accurate colors and provide depth


Just put set in Cinema mode + neut color + max out back light and contrast (picture )
+ turn on cine mode auto, Cinema mode takes care of color management for you disables cp. you don't need.brings gamma into line and gives best picture also .
Make sure any ECO power saving (ECO menu ) auto brightness/back light etc (everything in there ) if present is off .
in screen menu set 1:1 pixel (full pixel) auto display and 4:3 default off and auto wide on

note : start out with color and brightness about 53- 55 or so and adjust to preference but not so high as to over saturate the color, cause blooming or make the blacks grey. (small adjustments here are good big ones are not . )
60 would probably be the maximum color and brightness levels in daylight.

Lastly download and use Sony color blind test to fine tune brightness and color saturation (use the red and blue videos)
It's very clever and works very well!

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 08-14-2014 at 07:10 PM.
tubetwister is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - XBR-49X850B by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off