Official LG LA9650 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9650, 65LA9650 ) - Page 11 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 549 Old 07-25-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Hey guys, what options do we currently have for watching 4K content on the 9650? Sony and Samsung both have their little media boxes with true 4K content and I wasnt sure if those worked with the LG or if LG has something like that. LG has a lot of different apps you can get on the store but none of them looked like they were 4K. Thanks for the help!
It's limited right now until the HDMI 2.0 hardware upgrade is released (~$400, must be LG tech installed), expected August/September. But there are a still ways to view 4K content. You can download 4K files from the Web, including Youtube, which has many. Use the free 4K downloader app. Just search "4K download" with Google to get that app. Note the files must be 3840x2160. You can put them on a USB 2.0/3.0 flash drive and play them back that way. Or if you have a PC/Mac capable of 4K output, you can run that in via an HDMI port and play the files back with your PC's media player. Some PC media player software, such as Power DVD, now has H.265 codec support. Without that most H.265 encoded files will not play. SOME H.265 files will play via USB, but most very high bitrate files will have color anomalies. Look for H.264 encoded mp4 or ts files. As long as they are 3840x2160, they will play.

Last edited by Bill Ball; 07-25-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 549 Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Hey guys, what options do we currently have for watching 4K content on the 9650? Sony and Samsung both have their little media boxes with true 4K content and I wasnt sure if those worked with the LG or if LG has something like that. LG has a lot of different apps you can get on the store but none of them looked like they were 4K. Thanks for the help!
Nuvola NP-1 from Nanotech. I have had one for about two weeks and the PQ is amazing. That said the content is limited, but it is the only game in town for us currently. Nanotech seems to have all the pieces of the puzzle ie. content conversion, distribution, and hardware, but they need to get some studios on board to increase quantity and quality.
post #303 of 549 Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Nuvola NP-1 from Nanotech. I have had one for about two weeks and the PQ is amazing. That said the content is limited, but it is the only game in town for us currently. Nanotech seems to have all the pieces of the puzzle ie. content conversion, distribution, and hardware, but they need to get some studios on board to increase quantity and quality.
I was waiting for that to be released. Need to go look at that again and refamiliarize myself with its capabilities.

Last edited by Bill Ball; 07-25-2014 at 06:58 PM.
post #304 of 549 Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post
I was waiting for that to be released. Need to go look at that again and refamiliarize myself with its capabilities. I bought this 4K Android box. Just got it. I need to see what it can do. Far cheaper. Not sure how tehy compare.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Trons...TS-326822.html
It looks like they are both running android kitkat. The np-1 cpu is tegra 4 where as the vega is a cortex A9. Another device you might consider is the mojo since it has similiar hardware, but the real differentiator seems to be the 4k streaming capability of the np-1 and ultraflix which is Nanotech's version of Netflix. That said one of my favorite features with these devices (android kitkat) is the ability to select individual albums in my google photos account as the screan saver. This way after 15 sec of non-use it automatically starts a slide show of my photos. This is a capability I was looking for since the first day I purchased my 9650.
post #305 of 549 Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Tronsmart plays 4K files, even ones larger than 3840x2160, well from my network storage with its media player app. The existing Youtube 5.7 android app plays 4K files but scaled down to 720p. The Nuvola probably has the same limitation if it's just running the standard Android Youtube app. So, you still have to download the files and play them from storage. Of course, the Netflix app doesn't offer 4K with this device. I see Nuvola has their own 4K channel of some sort. I'll look further at the ones you mention.

Last edited by Bill Ball; 07-27-2014 at 01:07 AM.
post #306 of 549 Old 07-26-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Has anyone tried the 2D to 3D? I'm not seeing any 3D effects. I tried the 3 different settings and still nothing. Any suggestions?
post #307 of 549 Old 07-26-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey346 View Post
Has anyone tried the 2D to 3D? I'm not seeing any 3D effects. I tried the 3 different settings and still nothing. Any suggestions?
I've used the 2D to 3D quite few times, in all the different modes and it does work for me. I prefer to use the manual mode and adjust by myself. I find the simulated 3D is subtle and doesn't come close to actual 3D content.

For me I am unable to play top and bottom format 3D. Regardless of whether I use manual or auto settings, it's impossible to bring the 2 pictures into alignment. The closest I can get then still has them both at least 2" apart in the vertical plane. I've tried several movies this way, and all exhibit the same behaviour. Not sure if my set is faulty but it would seem so.

For side by side there is no problem. It often takes 5-10 seconds for the 2 images to come into alignment, but then it's fine, except for the occasional 2-3 second glitch. Does anyone else experience this?
post #308 of 549 Old 07-27-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Phuket View Post
I've used the 2D to 3D quite few times, in all the different modes and it does work for me. I prefer to use the manual mode and adjust by myself. I find the simulated 3D is subtle and doesn't come close to actual 3D content.

For me I am unable to play top and bottom format 3D. Regardless of whether I use manual or auto settings, it's impossible to bring the 2 pictures into alignment. The closest I can get then still has them both at least 2" apart in the vertical plane. I've tried several movies this way, and all exhibit the same behaviour. Not sure if my set is faulty but it would seem so.

For side by side there is no problem. It often takes 5-10 seconds for the 2 images to come into alignment, but then it's fine, except for the occasional 2-3 second glitch. Does anyone else experience this?
Where do i find the manual 3D adjustment?
post #309 of 549 Old 07-27-2014, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey346 View Post
Where do i find the manual 3D adjustment?
I'm travelling now and in transit in Bangkok but from memory you go to the menu where the picture settings are, and then you will see a sub-menu called something like 3D settings, you should then be able to select manual mode and then you can adjust viewpoint and depth.
post #310 of 549 Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
The Tronsmart plays 4K files, even ones larger than 3840x2160, well from my network storage with its media player app. The existing Youtube 5.7 android app plays 4K files but scaled down to 720p. The Nuvola probably has the same limitation if it's just running the standard Android Youtube app. So, you still have to download the files and play them from storage. Of course, the Netflix app doesn't offer 4K with this device. I see Nuvola has their own 4K channel of some sort. I'll look further at the ones you mention.
The NP1 uses youtube for tv app. I think it is version 1.5 or something, but it came out last march and I can't find anywhere to select quality. It is my understanding that netflix does not have a 4k android app, but supposedly the NP1 is ready when they release one.
post #311 of 549 Old 07-27-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Phuket View Post
I'm travelling now and in transit in Bangkok but from memory you go to the menu where the picture settings are, and then you will see a sub-menu called something like 3D settings, you should then be able to select manual mode and then you can adjust viewpoint and depth.
Yes, the 3D settings are greyed out in the Settings menu until you enable 3D, after which they are available.
post #312 of 549 Old 07-28-2014, 12:23 AM

Tried the manual setting but still couldn't get it right. Thanks for the info guys.
post #313 of 549 Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi guys,

When I watched Youtube in Smart mode, which picture setting did the TV use?
I think when I access Setting while in Smart mode, it's the same as current input I was using
for example I'm on HDMI1 for STB, when I access Smart mode then Setting, was it the setting for HDMI1?

Thanks!!!
post #314 of 549 Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suinaja View Post
Hi guys,

When I watched Youtube in Smart mode, which picture setting did the TV use?
I think when I access Setting while in Smart mode, it's the same as current input I was using
for example I'm on HDMI1 for STB, when I access Smart mode then Setting, was it the setting for HDMI1?

Thanks!!!
Nope. It uses its own mode. However, the settings are only available when a video is actually playing. So, say you enter the Netflix or Youtube app, you can push the settings button (123 Qmenu) on the Magic remote and nothing will happen UNTIL you have a video running. Then a settings menu opens. I copied over my HDMI settings.
post #315 of 549 Old 07-31-2014, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope. It uses its own mode. However, the settings are only available when a video is actually playing. So, say you enter the Netflix or Youtube app, you can push the settings button (123 Qmenu) on the Magic remote and nothing will happen UNTIL you have a video running. Then a settings menu opens. I copied over my HDMI settings.
Ah...I see, will try
Thanks Bill!!
post #316 of 549 Old 08-01-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Bill & Others,

Sorry for the distance in time from posting, I had previously created a longer post replying directly to some responses to my initial post but I had some issues logging in and lost it so I am not much in the mood to recreate the post :/ Is there a way I can change my username? I could not find one in my control panel and I am not much for having my real identity plastered all over the net lol.

Anyways...

Here is a little follow up to my experience so far with the tv.

Banding:
I am still loving it in general, and it is still worth the price that -I- paid for it but I must admit I am kinda wishing I found the same deal on the backlit version. The banding is not showing more and more in what seems to be everything I watch. I can see the light following the mouse pointer, I can see dark and light bands on anything white or areas where there are extreme contracts in a vertical line. Again for the price I cannot really complain but it is definitely there and very obvious now.

Quality:
The TV still has amazing quality, it is getting harder for me to appreciate now due to constantly seeing the quality I am definitely looking forward to some 4k content to get more appreciation. BillBall, is that 4k box paying off that you got? It seems like its just one more avenue to download apps and view stuff on, does it have any good quality 4k material on it? How is the navigation? I am honestly over this LG remote, it was a nice idea and it works nice at times but sometimes... i just want a normal remote.

External Keyboard:
So.. I found a pretty wireless micro keyboard which is pretty comfortable to use, the only problem with it is that not all applications on the tv recognize its input so I find myself rarely using it. Though if there is something I need to search for I try to use it as typing on this tv is a nightmare. If anyone is interested this is the one I purchased, it would actually be pretty sweet if you have a computer hooked up to your tv and you don't want to maintain a full keyboard and mouse setup. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Games:
Some of the games are pretty cool, unfortunately I have been unable to purchase anything because my bank flags my card for fraud every time because apparently it is an international charge and they do not like that. It is still pretty cool though for the few free games i have downloaded. I have also played my xbox 360 on it which I havent played in years and the graphics look amazing as expected. I saw the xbox one just released their 3d ability so I am contemplating if I want to buy one as I am digging the 3d capability on this tv.. netflix has SOOOOO MUCH content in 3d it is well worth it.

Anyways thanks for the previous feed back ill be checking back and responding sooner now that I got my account fixed.
post #317 of 549 Old 08-01-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Welcome back Tony.

Light halo: What you are seeing around the cursor on a black screen or more of a vertical band when it is something larger like credits, is the edge lit dimming function, as you know. I now run backlight 30 all the time and even might go as low as 20 for darkroom viewing. That MIGHT make this side effect less prominent. The screen is still PLENTY bright at 30 for daytime viewing. Certainly the full array 9700 should not have the vertical band, but I see this so rarely that I don't mind it.

Quality: As to 4K playback devices, the Tronsmart Vega S89H
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Trons...TS-326822.html
http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-Andr...cm_wl_huc_item
is an Android Kit Kat based computer, so it can display 4 K files from storage like any PC. If the Android Youtube app would support 4K playback (current version down scales to 720p), it would be nice, but it doesn't. So it ends up just being a device to add Android app support to your TV, particularly if you install alternative ROMs that allow greater support in Google Play Store such as:
http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...inless-1-8-ROM
Anyway, I find it more of a toy. I'm waiting for HDMI 2.0 support in desktop PC graphics cards and enough processing power in $150 price range to buy a new card for my PC so I can stream from it. I had a Nvidia GTX 750Ti for awhile and it streamed 4K at 30Hz well. I could see more horsepower would be needed for very high bitrate files.

Keyboards: I have the same one. It's kind of tiny. The picture makes it look bigger than its 4x6 size. So, I also have a Microsoft All-In-One Mdia Keyboard:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-All-.../dp/B00IICMUWS
Its mousepad works well and allows multitouch.

I keep both keyboards attached to the TV via a cheap powered USB hub.

Last edited by Bill Ball; 08-03-2014 at 02:35 AM.
post #318 of 549 Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I knew I had the statement from LG regarding the upgrade path. We must be getting real close.
Rich

LG
"Enabling technologies for Ultra HD are evolving and LG is leading the way with H.265 built-in to our new models. Of course, only one Ultra HD TV now on the market has HDMI 2.0, because it was just finalized. We can't say when exactly, but future Ultra HD TVs (from LG and presumably from others) will include this capability down the road. In the meantime, we are reassuring the early-adopter consumers who have purchased LG's first-generation Ultra HD TVs that we'll have a solution to handle 60Hz 4K content in the future." - John Taylor, Vice President Public Affairs and Communications.
post #319 of 549 Old 08-01-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Is there a store setting on this tv? I know an old samsung of mine would have this in which it would revert back to factory settings.
The 9650 in my room keeps turning off and then back on. Looks like I'm gong to be contacting LG
post #320 of 549 Old 08-01-2014, 04:30 PM

I forgot to mention the source which was c/net, http://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-0-up...cturers-stand/
Rich
post #321 of 549 Old 08-01-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuvy View Post
Is there a store setting on this tv? I know an old samsung of mine would have this in which it would revert back to factory settings.
The 9650 in my room keeps turning off and then back on. Looks like I'm gong to be contacting LG
Yeah, there is an initialization setting under the "toolbox" heading (case with wrench on face). But call LG for more help.
post #322 of 549 Old 08-02-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJH View Post
I knew I had the statement from LG regarding the upgrade path. We must be getting real close.
Rich

LG
"Enabling technologies for Ultra HD are evolving and LG is leading the way with H.265 built-in to our new models. Of course, only one Ultra HD TV now on the market has HDMI 2.0, because it was just finalized. We can't say when exactly, but future Ultra HD TVs (from LG and presumably from others) will include this capability down the road. In the meantime, we are reassuring the early-adopter consumers who have purchased LG's first-generation Ultra HD TVs that we'll have a solution to handle 60Hz 4K content in the future." - John Taylor, Vice President Public Affairs and Communications.
Hey guys,
I spoke with my contact person yesterday at LG and I was advised that stock on the upgraded parts should be received in the next two weeks. Lets hope this is the case!
Bill Ball and RichJH like this.
post #323 of 549 Old 08-02-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you, Mikey!

And that reminds me there was this from the LG 84LM9600 owners thread:
Official LG 84LM9600 (Ultra HD 4K) Owners' Thread

When the release occurs appointments will be scheduled through the Executive Service Dept. at:

LG Electronics Alabama, Inc.
PO Box 24007, Huntsille, AL 35813
877-543-8325

From LG's career search pages I see: LG Electronics Alabama Inc (LGEAI), the home of Customer Service for all of LG products being sold within North America

Last edited by Bill Ball; 08-02-2014 at 10:49 AM.
post #324 of 549 Old 08-02-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, the 3D settings are greyed out in the Settings menu until you enable 3D, after which they are available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJH View Post
I forgot to mention the source which was c/net, http://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-0-up...cturers-stand/
Rich
That article is almost 10 months old....
post #325 of 549 Old 08-03-2014, 01:42 AM

Jeffrey346,
I know that it has been awhile. I posted it again so that members who own the 9700/9650 understand what LG promised us sooooo long ago. At least they should let us know the status of the replacement circuit board. Any word would be better than no word.
Rich

Last edited by RichJH; 08-04-2014 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Edit
post #326 of 549 Old 08-03-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey44 View Post
Hey guys,
I spoke with my contact person yesterday at LG and I was advised that stock on the upgraded parts should be received in the next two weeks. Lets hope this is the case!
Mikey44,
Thanks a whole bunch!
Rich
post #327 of 549 Old 08-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi guys!

I just bought myself the 65la9650 today (I think the model is called 65la965w here in Sweden) but I ran into a problem that I can´t seem to fix. I have a Onkyo 608 connected to the television through HDMI. With my old tv, a Sony KDL-46W4500, I had the control to switch on and off both devices by using the power-button on either of the remotes. On the Onkyo these settings are called RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI). But I can´t find any of these settings on the 65la9650.

I tried the universal remote function and got the volume to work, and I can go in through the q.menu and switch off the Onkyo-receiver. But I want to be able to turn on/off both the devices by using either of the remotes. Have I missed something or is this function missing?
post #328 of 549 Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezay View Post
Hi guys!

I just bought myself the 65la9650 today (I think the model is called 65la965w here in Sweden) but I ran into a problem that I can´t seem to fix. I have a Onkyo 608 connected to the television through HDMI. With my old tv, a Sony KDL-46W4500, I had the control to switch on and off both devices by using the power-button on either of the remotes. On the Onkyo these settings are called RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI). But I can´t find any of these settings on the 65la9650.

I tried the universal remote function and got the volume to work, and I can go in through the q.menu and switch off the Onkyo-receiver. But I want to be able to turn on/off both the devices by using either of the remotes. Have I missed something or is this function missing?
I have no direct experience in this area, but I believe this is controlled in LG's SimpLink setting. It's available on the lower menu bar of the Smart TV function.
post #329 of 549 Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I have no direct experience in this area, but I believe this is controlled in LG's SimpLink setting. It's available on the lower menu bar of the Smart TV function.
Thanks Bill! That solved the problem!
post #330 of 549 Old 08-04-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi Everyone,

I've read all the posts from day one, thanks for all the info. I see Bill Ball is the brains of the operation. I talk lots and always have something worthwhile to say about TECHNOLOGY. I am testing graphics input, on this forum page and hope not get band, Love reading the threads, just wish more graphics were posted. I hope....can upload more stuff, info and graphics.

Everyone is waiting on the HDMI 2.0 mod (hardware update or patch?)
Sadly LG....is dogging the issue for the past 8-12 months, most probally want sales, instead of owing up to a marketing nightmare, in confusing the customer. I know it's all newer technology and stuff. But, the newer sets are already being upgraded or manufactured at the factory with HDMI 2.0. So...how much is the mod, board, cost? Give away....1 free year to NETFLIX and keep the cost lower than expected. I keep seeing...it's going to cost $400. That seems pretty steep, since...we all believed in the 4K dream, LG is marketing to everyone. When really the TV can't use the old HDMI 1.4 port for True 4K feeds (unless you want watered down junk). Seems like 50/50 split on the upgrade $400 vs $200 seems like a better price. They should of not sold their TV's if they can't perform populary in the market place from day one.

Really...my complaint is...they need a press release on the issue, what it does and what the future holds. Why? it's delayed, the solution, the costs and sorry about the confusion. The solution is coming on scheduled date and part cost, YOUTUBE video on install (or technician costs)...and the overall solution has arrived, to our dedicated 4K loyal customers. haha I know wishful thinking....

Just blowing off some creative steam....

I just registered as a 1 year member...to post my input. I ordered a LG LA9650 for $1999 and 4 year Square Trade $169 warranty. Love the Free Shipping and no Tax on Ebay. That being said...pays for the warranty. I am a graphics, marketing, business kinda guy....and see through all the hype marketed. I have lots to say....this is just my first post and getting the bugs out. Cheers....

My purchase of the LG LA9650 (he's selling the same one's for $2499, probably the ones with HDMI 2.0)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151368444343...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Steve in SavannahGa

Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-04-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
lg 55la9700 , lg 84lm9600 , lg la6500
Gear in this thread - la6500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page