Official LG LA9650 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9650, 65LA9650 ) - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #361 of 621 Old 08-09-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 88
OK, I've looked at the Birds of Prey 4K several more times from 2 feet away from the screen. After being more careful to compare exactly the same frames of the file downloaded versus streamed directly from Youtube, I cannot tell the difference. The 4K upscaling of the 9650 can't be so good as to take a 720P or 1080P file and make it indistinguishable from 4K. So, even though no other Android Youtube apps go above 720P, I can't say for sure what the LG app is streaming.

You guys take a more careful look at the very fine beads of water on the bird at 1:30. I can't see a difference Maybe I would if I had two TVs side by side. It's subtle if at all at 2 feet and certainly not discernable at any distance beyond that.

Yes, the Youtube "4K video" stream does look fantastic.

Last edited by Bill Ball; 08-09-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 621 Old 08-09-2014, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The COO of Sony just said that their 4K library will shortly be released on the PS4. Each movie will be over 100 GB and will download overnight. I just added a 4TB drive to a USB 3.0 enclosure. I picked up the drive for $179.88. URL listed below.
Rich
P.S. - These drives work. I have 12 of them in my Synology DS2413+ with a number of them working for over 1 year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4000GB-4...item1c2fe4daff
post #363 of 621 Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Mikey44,
You just need your TV to be connected to the Internet. My 9650 plays all of my downloaded content right from a USB flash drive or a hard drive. In my case I have a 1.5 TB drive formatted NTSF. Do not format Mac the content will be unreadable by your LG TV.
Rich
post #364 of 621 Old 08-09-2014, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since I didn't get any response regarding the stuttering ticker issue, I went setting by setting to figure this out. First, I will say that the stuttering of the ticker appears mostly during commercials for whatever reason. Anyway, what I discovered is that when you set TruMotion to off, apparently it is not completely off because the stuttering still happens. But if I set the de-judder to zero, no stuttering. The de-blur setting doesn't seem to have an effect. So, I guess you get to pick either an always smooth ticker (de-judder = 0) or a soap opera effect (de-judder > 0), but not both at the same time.

On another note, did everyone see that DTV has stated they will have VOD 4k by end of the year?! I'm assuming this will be 30Hz and not HDCP 2.2 since I don't think any DTV STB has HDMI 2.0. So, DTV content may not require the upcoming HDMI upgrade from LG.
post #365 of 621 Old 08-10-2014, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!
I watched Avatar 3D yesterday and there was a lot of flickering.
What is the best option for watching 3D movies? if there is any :-)

//Bengt
post #366 of 621 Old 08-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post
Settings are close to mine. Only one I think is probably noticeably off is brightness 40. You should lose shadow detail at that setting as close to black is crushed black. 48-50 always tests right for me. You can test that with a test disc without a meter. Something like Disney WoW, Spears and Munsil or the AVSForum HD709. These will do contrast, brightness, color, tint and sharpness. No other hardware needed. Sharpness 30 is going to introduce some false edges and anomalies in fine detail. My testing shows 10-15 max before it starts to screw things up. With a meter you can do white balance and color management, but it's a lot of fiddling for little gain in most cases, and I don't trust the inexpensive meters.

Also, I did the same with the backlight (30-35 dark, 75 or so daylight). Now I just leave it 35 all the time, and I have a fairly bright room in the daytime (lots of windows). Looks good to me. Doesn't seem to need the extra backlighting in daytime.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the feedback Bill Ball! I´l try the brightness settings!

But I don´t agree on the sharpness settings. I tried around 10-15 at first, but I think the picture loses to much detail. Try for example looking at a human face on a 1080p movie. At 10-15 the face seems low resolution without any detail, but if you just upper the sharpness til around 25-30 you start seeing much more detail, for example facial hair and artefacts in the skin.

The same for gaming on a PS3, for example FIFA 14 looks low resolution with the sharpness at 10-15, but with around 25-30 the picture seems much more crisp and detailed. Try it yourself!

I´ve seen some rare effects of the higher sharpness, but it´s something I can live with.
post #367 of 621 Old 08-10-2014, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezay View Post
Thanks for the feedback Bill Ball! I´l try the brightness settings!

But I don´t agree on the sharpness settings. I tried around 10-15 at first, but I think the picture loses to much detail. Try for example looking at a human face on a 1080p movie. At 10-15 the face seems low resolution without any detail, but if you just upper the sharpness til around 25-30 you start seeing much more detail, for example facial hair and artefacts in the skin.

The same for gaming on a PS3, for example FIFA 14 looks low resolution with the sharpness at 10-15, but with around 25-30 the picture seems much more crisp and detailed. Try it yourself!

I´ve seen some rare effects of the higher sharpness, but it´s something I can live with.
Interesting. I'm using test screens designed to show false edges and anything beyond 10-15 ends up making halos around fine lines. Normally the zero setting is not a "soft" image. It is an untreated image. Above zero adds "sharpness" by increasing the contrast around edges by adding bright pixels on one side and dark on the other. I'll try some face images. I'm not alone in what I'm saying. Almost all professional video people do not advocate adding sharpness, but I could get to 10-15 before I started seeing the false pixels, so I accepted that. However, it's all personal preference. If it looks better to you, it's better. Also, this applies to backlight and brightness.
post #368 of 621 Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

REGISTER YOUR TV:

The HDMI 2.0 upgrade is starting to appear at least in some parts of the world. There is a report from a LA9700 owner in Japan that his TV is being picked up to do the upgrade.
Official LG LA9700 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9700, 65LA9700 )

It looks like the process is involved enough that they are not doing it in your home. So, it's going to be somewhat of a pain. Also, it appears you will lose ARC and only have one HDMI 2.0 port. That doesn't bother me too much. My receiver is not ARC capable and I'm satisfied with using the optical audio out to my receiver. There aren't any HDMI 2.0 devices yet anyway. Eventually as they appear, I'll get an HDMI 2.0 receiver to route any other HDMI 2.0 devices into the sole 2.0 port on the TV and continue to use the optical audio out connection.

I think registering your TV with LG is a key step in getting the process going whenever it does happen here. I had tried to register my TV when I bought it in April. Even though it was a 2013 model, I could not find the 65LA950 in the registration process database. I then forgot all about it. Today I finally went to check on this again and completed the product registration. Anyone who hasn't done this should probably visit LG.com and go through the steps.
SavannahGa likes this.

Last edited by Bill Ball; 08-11-2014 at 02:38 PM.
post #369 of 621 Old 08-11-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
REGISTER YOUR TV:

...Also, it appears you will lose ARC and only have one HDMI 2.0 port. ....
Interesting, and disappointing, although probably not a deal breaker to me. However, I noticed the poster from Japan says there was no cost to him at all for the upgrade. That turns the frown upside down if same will be true in the US.

I also saw that the poster from Japan asks whether HDMI 2.0 is not compatible with ARC, presumably searching for why the LG upgrade loses ARC. I have a 2014 Onkyo receiver with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 on one input and the main output to the TV is HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 and has ARC. So, at least some HDMI 2.0 chipsets are ARC compatible. Not immediately apparent to me why the LG upgrade will not allow ARC. Do we know if the LG upgrade will be HDCP 2.2 and/or 4:4:4 capable (sorry if asked and answered already)?
SavannahGa likes this.
post #371 of 621 Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjknatl View Post
Interesting, and disappointing, although probably not a deal breaker to me. However, I noticed the poster from Japan says there was no cost to him at all for the upgrade. That turns the frown upside down if same will be true in the US.

I also saw that the poster from Japan asks whether HDMI 2.0 is not compatible with ARC, presumably searching for why the LG upgrade loses ARC. I have a 2014 Onkyo receiver with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 on one input and the main output to the TV is HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 and has ARC. So, at least some HDMI 2.0 chipsets are ARC compatible. Not immediately apparent to me why the LG upgrade will not allow ARC. Do we know if the LG upgrade will be HDCP 2.2 and/or 4:4:4 capable (sorry if asked and answered already)?
I've seen no other details.
post #372 of 621 Old 08-12-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
REGISTER YOUR TV:

The HDMI 2.0 upgrade is starting to appear at least in some parts of the world. There is a report from a LA9700 owner in Japan that his TV is being picked up to do the upgrade.
Official LG LA9700 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9700, 65LA9700 )

It looks like the process is involved enough that they are not doing it in your home. So, it's going to be somewhat of a pain. Also, it appears you will lose ARC and only have one HDMI 2.0 port. That doesn't bother me too much. My receiver is not ARC capable and I'm satisfied with using the optical audio out to my receiver. There aren't any HDMI 2.0 devices yet anyway. Eventually as they appear, I'll get an HDMI 2.0 receiver to route any other HDMI 2.0 devices into the sole 2.0 port on the TV and continue to use the optical audio out connection.

I think registering your TV with LG is a key step in getting the process going whenever it does happen here. I had tried to register my TV when I bought it in April. Even though it was a 2013 model, I could not find the 65LA950 in the registration process database. I then forgot all about it. Today I finally went to check on this again and completed the product registration. Anyone who hasn't done this should probably visit LG.com and go through the steps.
Where do you register your tv? I live in Sweden (eu) and i do not find where to register.
post #373 of 621 Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba08 View Post
Where do you register your tv? I live in Sweden (eu) and i do not find where to register.
Found it !
post #374 of 621 Old 08-13-2014, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is a software update available to version 05.07.01. Not sure what it does. You can get it via the TV's Settings menu, Support (last item), Software Update.
post #375 of 621 Old 08-13-2014, 11:02 AM

So let's see if I understand what we know so far,

It seems that the 9700/9650 TV's will need to be picked up for the upgrade. The cost, if any, seems to be a little up in the air. It appears that a TV in Japan is having the upgrade done for free so I don't see how they would get away with charging US owners without a real outcry.

Rich

Last edited by RichJH; 08-13-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Edit
post #376 of 621 Old 08-13-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really wish they had to tell us what the update is "updating"... On one hand you have to be happy that the firmware/software is being updated but without knowing what it addresses, its extremely frustrating! Hopefully since you say its one of the largest updates, its the precursor to our HDMI upgrade and/or the netflix 4k.

Insert witty line from BTTF here:
post #377 of 621 Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJH View Post
So let's see if I understand what we know so far,

It seems that the 9700/9650 TV's will need to be picked up for the upgrade. The cost, if any, seems to be a little up in the air. It appears that a TV in Japan is having the upgrade done for free so I don't see how they would get away with charging US owners without a real outcry.

Rich
That's the way they are handling it in Japan. So far there's no indication in casual conversations people have had with Executive Services or VIP care in the US that the set will have to go to the shop. Everything we have heard from elsewhere in the world but Japan is that there will be a charge for the upgrade of $400-500, similar to Samsung's box. It looks like something will happen to clarify this at the end of the month.
post #378 of 621 Old 08-13-2014, 03:52 PM

Bill,
As usual I can count on you for your understanding of the upgrade process. I guessed it had something to do with the way the laws are structured just like you mentioned.
Rich

Last edited by RichJH; 08-13-2014 at 03:58 PM.
post #379 of 621 Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey you guys, I did a review and settings, with photos and stuff, on my new LG 65UB9500. I talk about VUDU and settings, if interested. Thanks!

Lg 65ub9500
post #380 of 621 Old 08-15-2014, 04:53 PM

My wife and I made it down to Salinas where we have our 55LA9650. I have been anxious to try my flash drive which I formatted NTSF so that I could load .mkv files in excess of 12 GB's.

First I wanted to see if my flash drive would load, which it did.

Second I really wanted to see if .mkv files would play, and they did.

Thirdly I wanted to see if they played smoothly, and they did.

Three for three is not bad not bad at all. Other individuals seemed to be having trouble with these type of files. I have terabytes of .mkv files on my Synology. I'm glad to see that they will play without first converting them. Boy would that be a big hassle.
Rich
post #381 of 621 Old 08-16-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Why not just use something like xbmc or plex to play them instead of relying on external storage via usb? Would get a much better interface, especially if you have a large collection.
post #382 of 621 Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahGa View Post
Wow....everyone is going to kill me or nuke my house.

Dear mrsale$,

We tried to reach you regarding this order, what is the best contact # to reach you at? We had a delay in our incoming shipment of this model and we were going to see if you were interested in a free upgrade to the 65UB9500 for the same price?

- lincoln_premier

My LG 65LA9650 was out of stock, already sent the PAY PAL on Sunday evening. The EBAY seller told me, the LG 65LA9650 is being discontinued.

The link of my 65LA9650 on my ebay purchase for $1999, was upgraded to a 65UB9500 with 4 slots for HDMI 2.0/ HEVC Decoder and Tru-4K Engine Pro. He said something about COMCAST needs this for sending true codex, blah, blah. Sorry about the confusion on your order and we're still honoring, the $1999 price. When I am seeing them for $2600 to $2900.

My auction purchase was noted, a few posts up. However, the auction is still listed....if anyone wants to take the gamble. Lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151368444343...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Haha...pretty funny, people read my "TIP" on AVSFORUMS and made their purchase like me. I am MRSALE$ on the top review, promoting AVSFORUMS.COM Search: LG 65UB9500

SavannahGA (aka MrSale$)

Last edited by SavannahGa; 08-16-2014 at 09:34 PM.
post #383 of 621 Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 PM

dignam,
I love Plex, I think it is one of the best apps period. I am always concerned about my Download quota and stuttering. Right now I just download whatever looks good, pop it in my LG, sit back and enjoy the show.
Rich
post #384 of 621 Old 08-18-2014, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Got this TV 55LA9650 few weeks back. India Bangalore.

So far its awesome for the Picture quality and functions.

Quick Questions.

1. In India I didnt see much apps on the Smart World. Are there any other way to get apps for this TV?
2. Can we download the apps from Google Android Market. Any alternatives?.

Thanks

Ravi
post #385 of 621 Old 08-18-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandaravi View Post
Got this TV 55LA9650 few weeks back. India Bangalore.

So far its awesome for the Picture quality and functions.

Quick Questions.

1. In India I didnt see much apps on the Smart World. Are there any other way to get apps for this TV?
2. Can we download the apps from Google Android Market. Any alternatives?.

Thanks

Ravi
Hello!I think that many of apps are depending on which country you live in.
What are the apps you are missing or like to install?

//Bengt
post #386 of 621 Old 08-19-2014, 11:45 PM

Bill,
Thanks for the update. That will be wonderful if finally we hear something. This has been a long process. I guess that's what we get for being early adopters. Just blowing off some steam.
Rich
post #387 of 621 Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 AM

Hello
The Samsung Fashion Show Milan works for me, 3840x2160 AAC H.265
http://www.demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hevc
i have a LA9650w manufactured i July 14, does it work on your tv?

/Bengt
post #388 of 621 Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba08 View Post
Hello
The Samsung Fashion Show Milan works for me, 3840x2160 AAC H.265
http://www.demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hevc
i have a LA9650w manufactured i July 14, does it work on your tv?

/Bengt
Hi,
On my 55la970 thoses hevc files doesn't works Fashion
Rolland garros because it's 60fps

Only eutelsat.ts work fine
I've made a post in the official la970....

Could you tell us some informations
From the menu parameters info on your TV
Your firmware revision
Sdk version
Etc...
Thanks
I'm in France and my firmware is 4.24 35
Tv model 55la970v-ZA
Sdk 3.5

Esn : LGTV20131=11000141038
Widevine : LGTV13CLGE000086065
post #389 of 621 Old 08-20-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheely View Post
Hi,
On my 55la970 thoses hevc files doesn't works Fashion
Rolland garros because it's 60fps

Only eutelsat.ts work fine
I've made a post in the official la970....

Could you tell us some informations
From the menu parameters info on your TV
Your firmware revision
Sdk version
Etc...
Thanks
I'm in France and my firmware is 4.24 35
Tv model 55la970v-ZA
Sdk 3.5

Esn : LGTV20131=11000141038
Widevine : LGTV13CLGE000086065
TV model 65LA965W-ZA
My Program version is 04.24.35
SDK 03.05
Esn: LGTV20131=11000911543
Widevine: LGTV13CLGE000826756
post #390 of 621 Old 08-20-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hummmmm same firmware version but when i try to read thoses files i have the message format not supported :-(
Where are you from ?
My TV is V-ZA and you W-ZA ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
65la970w , lg 55la9700 , lg 84lm9600 , lg la6500
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page