Official LG LA9650 Owner's Thread ( 55LA9650, 65LA9650 ) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 301 Old 05-05-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The LA6500 is part of LG's 2013 4K / UHD model line-up. The total LG UHD 2013 line-up included:

84LM9600 - launched March 2013
A huge LED edge lit IPS panel with "local" dimming
Owner's thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1459733/of...-owners-thread

55LA9700 - launched July 2013
65LA9700
An LED full array IPS panel with local dimming
Owner's Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493360/of...a9700-65la9700

55LA9650 - launched September 2013
65LA9650
An LED edge lit IPS panel with "local" dimming

So, the LA9650 was added late in the year and is essentially identical to the LA9700 excepting that it is edge lit, camera not included and has a different speaker system and stand. All models seem to share identical video processing features.

Note: The LA6950 and LA9700 have a built-in HEVC (H.265) decoder and claim HEVC playback at least via USB, but no one has been able to confirm this. All HEVC files tried to date fail to play. [Update July 2014: Some HEVC files have been found to play, although some very high bit rate Samsung demo files exhibit strange color anomalies.] However, H.264 4K files playback well via USB. So far only 3840x2160 files have been found to play.

None of these 2013 models has native HDMI 2.0 support, but LG has indicated a hardware upgrade for this and to support 4K HEVC streaming (ala Netflix) is to be released in September 2014 for ~$400 which includes installation by LG techs.

The IPS panels in all of LG's 2013 UHD models offer wide viewing angles, excellent color fidelity but with relatively low native contrast ratio (approx 1000:1) and high black levels, which LG augmented by some form of LED dimming. The LM9700 with its full array backlight offers true local dimming while the LM9600 and the LA9650 have some form of edge dimming. Although the LA9700's local dimming should provide the most effective improvement in black levels and contrast, none of the models are free from LED backlighting issues such as clouding, banding, flashlighting and dirty screen effect from non-uniform backlighting. Yes, even full array LED sets can have poor uniformity. And LG's previous full array local dimming TVs (i.e., the 2012 LM9600) have been pretty miserable, and a real advantage of the LA9700 full array over the LA9650 edge lighting has not been established.

I was viewing the LA9700 at my local Fry's when the sales person offered me the 65LA9650 at such a low price that I bought it if for nothing more than a 30-day trial. After getting it home and having some initial concerns about the image quality, I grew to like the TV and decided to keep it despite general reservations about early 4K TV adoption with the increased cost over comparable 1080P TVs.

Prior to this thread, the only mention of the LA9650 on AVS was one forlorn thread. My initial tribulations with some color anomalies are exposed in that thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491293/lg...0-any-thoughts
I'm more than satisfied with the color now and can't quite put my finger on why I had so much trouble with "jaundiced" looking skin tones and other anomalies originally. Black levels and contrast may not be measureably impressive, but I don't see murky, gray blacks. They look quite deep and have good detail.

My impression after owning this TV for 30 days is that it is a good set. Yes, it suffers from some degree of the usual LED lit LCD maladies - not the best blacks, some clouding and banding and flashlighting. Mine has none of these to any serious degree. Nearly all LED LCDs are very inconsistent in panel defects, so you play the lottery when you select an LED LCD TV. You might get one with minimal defects or you might get a bad one, even with high end models. So, I decided mine is probably on the better end of the spectrum. Also, I decided the 9700, despite its FALD panel, is probably not significantly better, especially after seeing one suffering from visible backlight banding.

The TV calibrates well requiring minimal gray scale and CMS adjustments. Here is what I propose.
LG 65LA9650 any thoughts?

I will post some measurements of uncalibrated default settings shortly.

Any other LA9650 owners out there?

OTHER THREADS RELEVANT TO THE LA9650
- LA9650 and LA9700 HDMI 2.0:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531898/hd...#post_24752239
-Thoughts on LA9650:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491293/lg...0-any-thoughts
-Official LA9700 Owners' Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1493360/of...a9700-65la9700
- Official 84LM9600 Owner's Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1459733/of...-owners-thread
richjh101 likes this.

Last edited by Bill Ball; 07-14-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 301 Old 05-07-2014, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello there,

I recently purchased a LG 55LA9650. I still haven't received it (arriving next week) but looking around online, I noticed some comments regarding AV sync that has me worried.

There is a review on amazon.com for an example that mentions that the 4K up-scaling for the video causes it to lag behind the audio (when sending the Audio to an external amplifier). Is this a common issue experienced by everyone who owns this TV and is it a noticeable delay?

I am planing to run the audio from the PS3 via Optical to my amplifier and the video through HDMI to the TV. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

post #3 of 301 Old 05-07-2014, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There can be AV sync issues with any TV that does a lot of video processing. The 9650 has an AV sync adjustment for every input. I've had no real issues with it. I've had to make an adjustment a few times. Let us know if you find a problem that does not respond well to the built-in adjustment.
post #4 of 301 Old 05-08-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

There can be AV sync issues with any TV that does a lot of video processing. The 9650 has an AV sync adjustment for every input. I've had no real issues with it. I've had to make an adjustment a few times. Let us know if you find a problem that does not respond well to the built-in adjustment.

Thank you for replying.

I think that adjustment might help then but I guess I will have to then take the audio from the Optical out of the TV? The thing I am worried in that case is possible signal degradation and whether the TV will do some processing on it before outing it through the optical. But I am worrying even before the TV arrives now haha. I will post back after I received it and have played around with it.

Thanks for telling me about the sync setting on the TV though (I am buying a TV after about 7 years so didn't know they had such settings now). That will give me something to try as a work around before I post here again.

post #5 of 301 Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am using a variety of audio pathways: HDMI to my AV receiver from some sources, optical from other sources. HDMI directly to the TV, TV's optical out going to my AV receiver. The TV's optical out works fine. I use that when playing USB or streamed content to get sound to my home theater system. I do not use the TV's internal speakers.
post #6 of 301 Old 05-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just purchased this LG a few weeks ago. Best Buy had it on sale for around $1,000.00 off list. After seeing 4K playing every time I walked into Best Buy I decided to go for it. I have spent the last few days trying to find out if my LG has HDMI 2.0 and after a call to LG I did find out some interesting information. The first three numbers of the serial number number tell you the year and month of manufacture. In my case it was 402 that shows it was manufactured in 2014 (4) and in the month of February (02). This info was relayed to me by Brandon in VIP Care. He also said that it was HDMI 2.0 out of the box, his exact words.
Rich
post #7 of 301 Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM

Our Bang & Olufsen plasma died and the price to repair (out of warranty ) was almost the same as a new purchase.

Accordingly we bought a new LG 9650, just after Christmas, at a good value.

We use it as the previous flatscreen, but minus the B&O link for the remote. We use the LG remote + the B&O for the sound system.

Everything as before is coming from our HTPC via HDMI.

The picture is remarkable, seemingly more clear and distinct.

Very happy with the purchase.
post #8 of 301 Old 05-09-2014, 12:50 PM

You stated that, None of these 2013 models has native HDMI 2.0 support, but LG has indicated a hardware upgrade for this and to support 4K HEVC streaming (ala Netflix) is to be released in September 2014 for ~$400 which includes installation by LG techs.
After I spoke with Brandon in VIP Care he said that my TV was HDMI 2.0, his words, out of the box after I read him my serial number of 402KCXMAG826. I would gladly pay LG tech's to install the hardware upgrade that you mentioned but it seems that the later models may already have this upgrade. At least I hope so. I wonder if there is a way to find out?
Rich
post #9 of 301 Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 PM

I wonder if by streaming Netflix House of Cards I can find out if my TV does indeed have HDMI 2.0?
Rich
post #10 of 301 Old 05-09-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:

The LA6500 is part of LG's 2013 4K / UHD model line-up. The total LG UHD 2013 line-up included:

84LM9600 - launched March 2013
A huge LED edge lit IPS panel with "local" dimming

55LA9700 - launched July 2013
65LA9700
An LED full array IPS panel with local dimming

55LA9650 - launched September 2013
65LA9650
An LED edge lit IPS panel with "local" dimming

So, the LA9650 was added late in the year and is essentially identical to the LA9700 excepting that it is edge lit, camera not included and has a different speaker system and stand. All models seem to share identical video processing features.

Note: The LA6950 and LA9700 have a built-in HEVC (H.265) decoder and claim HEVC playback at least via USB, but no one has been able to confirm this. All HEVC files tried to date fail to play. However, H.264 4K files playback well via USB.
None of these 2013 models has native HDMI 2.0 support, but LG has indicated a hardware upgrade for this and to support 4K HEVC streaming (ala Netflix) is to be released in September 2014 for ~$400 which includes installation by LG techs.

The IPS panels in all of LG's 2013 UHD models offer wide viewing angles, excellent color fidelity but with relatively low native contrast ratio (approx 1000:1) and high black levels, which LG augmented by some form of LED dimming. The LM9700 with its full array backlight offers true local dimming while the LM9600 and the LA9650 have some form of edge dimming. Although the LA9700's local dimming should provide the most effective improvement in black levels and contrast, none of the models are free from LED backlighting issues such as clouding, banding, flashlighting and dirty screen effect from non-uniform backlighting. Yes, even full array LED sets can have poor uniformity. And LG's previous full array local dimming TVs (i.e., the 2012 LM9600) have been pretty miserable, and a real advantage of the LA9700 full array over the LA9650 edge lighting has not been established.

I was viewing the LA9700 at my local Fry's when the sales person offered me the 65LA9650 at such a low price that I bought it if for nothing more than a 30-day trial. After getting it home and having some initial concerns about the image quality, I grew to like the TV and decided to keep it despite general reservations about early 4K TV adoption with the increased cost over comparable 1080P TVs.

Prior to this thread, the only mention of the LA9650 on AVS was one forlorn thread. My initial tribulations with some color anomalies are exposed in that thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491293/lg-65la9650-any-thoughts
I'm more than satisfied with the color now and can't quite put my finger on why I had so much trouble with "jaundiced" looking skin tones and other anomalies originally. Black levels and contrast may not be measureably impressive, but I don't see murky, gray blacks. They look quite deep and have good detail.

My impression after owning this TV for 30 days is that it is a good set. Yes, it suffers from some degree of the usual LED lit LCD maladies - not the best blacks, some clouding and banding and flashlighting. Mine has none of these to any serious degree. Nearly all LED LCDs are very inconsistent in panel defects, so you play the lottery when you select an LED LCD TV. You might get one with minimal defects or you might get a bad one, even with high end models. So, I decided mine is probably on the better end of the spectrum. Also, I decided the 9700, despite it's FALD panel, is probably not significantly better, especially after seeing one suffering from visible backlight banding.

The TV calibrates well requiring minimal gray scale and CMS adjustments. Here is what I propose.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491293/lg-65la9650-any-thoughts#post_24679767

I will post some measurements of uncalibrated default settings shortly.

Any other LA9650 owners out there?

Bill, I own one and so far I am really enjoying it. I knew 4K is somewhat down the road so right now I purchased it for the BluRay up-scaling. I must say that the picture quality looks fantastic. Sound isn't bad as well. I bought a few mastered in 4K movies. I even bought a few of the shorts that are filmed in 4K. I can't wait for these to arrive. I am also take a look at House of Cards. I will report on my viewing experience.
Rich
post #11 of 301 Old 05-10-2014, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rich: Thanks for checking in. There don't appear to be many of us LA9650 owner. We need to stick together. Enjoy the TV. House of Cards in 4K won't stream to our sets until we get the September upgrade installed.
post #12 of 301 Old 05-11-2014, 09:53 AM

Hi guys, I was wondering if any one was using this tv for pc gaming. i was under the impression i was able to run at 220 hz(120) in 1080p but my refresh rate is only showing 60. my pc runs 2 780 gpus. Also 3d gaming in 1080 p is lagging like hell. Any advise on these matters?

post #13 of 301 Old 05-11-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Rich: Thanks for checking in. There don't appear to be many of us LA9650 owner. We need to stick together. Enjoy the TV. House of Cards in 4K won't stream to our sets until we get the September upgrade installed.

Bill,

I was wondering about House of Cards in 4K. Thanks for the info.You would think there would be more of us owning this wonderful machine? Interesting thing I looked at the posted reviews on LG the other day and it had around 15 reviews all around 5 stars. I think we bought a keeper.

I just ordered a set of dual play glasses from LG yesterday after viewing this clip on duel play, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbRG-KfWyVc I didn't buy the LG for this reason but I sure was impressed and plan on using the glasses as soon as they arrive. Of all the reviews I have read this was never mentioned. I just don't understand why a great feature like this was never mentioned. I just stumbled across it yesterday doing one of my many searches.

I bought the Leaf 50 over the air antenna a few weeks ago and will be installing it this week and see how many channels I get. I have the fastest internet AT&T makes but only internet not cable. I just got tired of paying hundreds extra for Cable. I really use the internet like connecting my LG. I really only need a few channels mostly for news.

I also had been trying to figure out if my LG had HDMI 2.0 and apparently it does have it already. After many call to LG's VIP Care group I got one of the VP's. He asked me to read the serial number and apparently you can tell the year and month it was made by the first three numbers. In my case 402. The 4 means 2014 and the 02 meaning February. He said that mine was HDMI 2.0 out of the box.

I thought this article was interesting,

The LA6950 and LA9700 have a built-in HEVC (H.265) decoder and claim HEVC playback at least via USB, but no one has been able to confirm this. All HEVC files tried to date fail to play. However, H.264 4K files playback well via USB.

Signing off for now,

Rich

post #14 of 301 Old 05-11-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Bill,

I was wondering about House of Cards in 4K. Thanks for the info.You would think there would be more of us owning this wonderful machine?Interesting thing I looked at the posted reviews on LG the other day and it had around 15 reviews all around 5 stars. I think we bought a keeper. 

I just ordered a set of dual play glasses from LG yesterday after viewing this clip on duel play, I had to remove the clip. Apparently rules do not allow outside posting. Do a search. It was one of the YTube clips that was regected. I didn't buy the LG for this reason but I sure was impressed and plan on using the glasses as soon as they arrive. Of all the reviews I have read this was never mentioned. I just don't understand why a great feature like this was never mentioned. I just stumbled across it yesterday doing one of my many searches.

I bought the Leaf 50 over the air antenna a few weeks ago and will be installing it this week and see how many channels I get. I have the fastest internet AT&T makes but only internet not cable. I just got tired of paying hundreds extra for Cable. I really use the internet like connecting my LG. I really only need a few channels mostly for news. 

I also had been trying to figure out if my LG had HDMI 2.0 and apparently it does have it already. After many call to LG's VIP Care group I got one of the VP's. He asked me to read the serial number and apparently you can tell the year and month it was made by the first three numbers. In my case 402. The 4 means 2014 and the 02 meaning February. He said that mine was HDMI 2.0 out of the box. 

I thought this article was interesting,

The LA6950 and LA9700 have a built-in HEVC (H.265) decoder and claim HEVC playback at least via USB, but no one has been able to confirm this. All HEVC files tried to date fail to play. However, H.264 4K files playback well via USB.

Signing off for now,

Rich

post #15 of 301 Old 05-11-2014, 11:18 AM

Reading the post it says 4K HEVC in September.  Maybe Netflix will have to wait until then. My mastered in 4K Spiderman movies arrived today. I will be anxious to see if the BluRay upscaling makes a difference.

Rich

post #16 of 301 Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 AM

Bill,

I should be keeping this TV for at least 5 years. That is the length of my extended warrantee from Best Buy. I would imagine that lots could go wrong over the years. Hopefully the 4K OLED TV's price will be greatly reduced by that time.. I really want a OLED 4K! 

Rich

post #17 of 301 Old 05-11-2014, 11:48 AM

I have yet to try House of Cards but as soon as I do I will report on how that goes.

Rich

post #18 of 301 Old 05-11-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richjh101 View Post

Reading the post it says 4K HEVC in September.  Maybe Netflix will have to wait until then. My mastered in 4K Spiderman movies arrived today. I will be anxious to see if the BluRay upscaling makes a difference.
Rich
Oh, so LG says your set has HDMI 2. Interesting and a bit surprising as most manufacturers of 2013 model TVs, even if built in 2014, haven't updated the older sets in manufacturing. So, you have at least part of the announced September upgrade already. Netflix 4K requires and updated app as well. Maybe you will get that before us 2013 manufactured owners. Samsung has it for the 2014 model sets, but the 2013 sets are awaiting an upgrade box.

It's essentially impossible to evaluate the upscaling. As far as I can tell it is ON all the time, so unless you have a 1080P TV sitting next to the 9650, I don't know how you can make any kind of assessment. There is a setting under Expert Control called "Super Resolution" that has levels of adjustment. I can't see one iota of an effect on anything at any setting. It may not be active. LG provides no information on what these settings do.

Frankly, I bought this set with some HOPE that 4K will eventually make a difference, but although 4K clips looks great if you stand near the TV, we probably wasted our money versus a good 1080P set. I'm happy with the TV, even though measurements show its contrast is low and black levels are high compared to other sets. The other sets test better but they have their own issues, such as worse backlight uniformity variation from one set to another (panel lottery). I'm happy enough with how regular viewing material looks. I like the color (which does test as quite accurate), contrast and black levels (despite the latter 2 test as mediocre).

The sets may have an HEVC decoder, as the owner's manual indicates, but it's not clear how or if it is implemented. No one has been able to document it working, at least not here.
post #19 of 301 Old 05-11-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Sheaves View Post

Hi guys, I was wondering if any one was using this tv for pc gaming. i was under the impression i was able to run at 220 hz(120) in 1080p but my refresh rate is only showing 60. my pc runs 2 780 gpus. Also 3d gaming in 1080 p is lagging like hell. Any advise on these matters?
Tyson, there are so few of us, it would probably be better to look at the LA9700 owners' thread and ask them. The models are essentially the same except for the backlight.
post #20 of 301 Old 05-12-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:

Oh, so LG says your set has HDMI 2. Interesting and a bit surprising as most manufacturers of 2013 model TVs, even if built in 2014, haven't updated the older sets in manufacturing. So, you have at least part of the announced September upgrade already. Netflix 4K requires and updated app as well. Maybe you will get that before us 2013 manufactured owners. Samsung has it for the 2014 model sets, but the 2013 sets are awaiting an upgrade box.

It's essentially impossible to evaluate the upscaling. As far as I can tell it is ON all the time, so unless you have a 1080P TV sitting next to the 9650, I don't know how you can make any kind of assessment. There is a setting under Expert Control called "Super Resolution" that has levels of adjustment. I can't see one iota of an effect on anything at any setting. It may not be active. LG provides no information on what these settings do.

Frankly, I bought this set with some HOPE that 4K will eventually make a difference, but although 4K clips looks great if you stand near the TV, we probably wasted our money versus a good 1080P set. I'm happy with the TV, even though measurements show its contrast is low and black levels are high compared to other sets. The other sets test better but they have their own issues, such as worse backlight uniformity variation from one set to another (panel lottery). I'm happy enough with how regular viewing material looks. I like the color (which does test as quite accurate), contrast and black levels (despite the latter 2 test as mediocre).

The sets may have an HEVC decoder, as the owner's manual indicates, but it's not clear how or if it is implemented. No one has been able to document it working, at least not here.

Bill,

I phoned LG probably 4 or 5 times asking them about HDMI 2. They passed me onto VIP Care and they had me read my serial number and they said mine was HDMI 2 ready, out of the box. I too was very surprised by that statement. It was my understanding that HDMI 2 was coming around Sept. this year and may need a hardware upgrade. Better yet I will post the reply that I got from my inquiry to LG Customer Service. This was their the response I from them regarding HDMI 2.

Dear Richard Hagan,
Thank you for contacting LG customer service! 

The Tv itself will support it, the HDMI ports on the Tv already support the technology that the HDMI cord upgraded to 2.0, the patch will be for other Tv models that do not have the supported HDMI ports, for older units of ours, your Tv does have the it.

The response still seems a bit vague to me so today I asked them again specifically if I would need a hardware upgrade to support 4K HEVC streaming (ala Netflix) No response yet. They did say that my unit was made in February 2014. It is a 2013 model made in early 2014. Do you think it has the upgraded hardware already installed. I just can't get a straight answer. More to come.

Rich

post #21 of 301 Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 AM

This I posted to LG just a few minutes ago. I hope LG understands what I am trying to say.

This was an article posted on April 8th of this year,

Netflix has added 4K streams to its slate of offerings as of Tuesday, according to a report from CNET. However, the streams only work on TVs that were released this year and include a built-in H.265/HEVC decoder—sorry, everyone who jumped the gun and paid way too much money for 4K last year.

In two of your answers you talk about the cord with TV. I am not talking about the cord or the port. I am talking about my TV's ability to view 4K streams right now via a H.265/HEVC decoder. Nearly every report on 2013 models says that they will need an upgrade by LG technicians sometime later this year.

This was your reply given by Orlando on 5/9/14

Yes, Mr. Hagan, as I have told you in the last emails this Tv is HDMI 2.0 compatible, the technology that was updated on the cord this Tv already supports it fine, no need to worry about any incompatibilities about the cord with the Tv.

Reply given by Orlando on 5/8/14

The Tv itself will support it, the HDMI ports on the Tv already support the technology that the HDMI cord upgraded to 2.0, the patch will be for other Tv models that do not have the supported HDMI ports, for older units of ours, your Tv does have the it.

Explanation given by Gina on 5/8/14

I do apologize for the inconvenience in regards of my explanation.

What I was trying to explain is that we have commercial and regular home type units, this unit is a 4K but I was letting you know that the unit USB is not something that we control in customer service, we need to forward this to another department and that’s what I did yesterday, sorry for the confusion.

post #22 of 301 Old 05-12-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good luck getting a clear answer, Rich. At the very least, the built-in Netflix app needs to be updated to accept 4K.
post #23 of 301 Old 05-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Bill,

I just received this feedback from LG a few hours ago.

Rich

------Reply to Your Inquiry-------

Dear Richard Hagan,
Thank you for your reply! 

As the article says: “2013 models they will need an upgrade”, but not the 2014 models. The Tv you have is a 2014 model so it will do so if streamed from Netflix to the Tv, the Tv will show a 4K resolution if that is what’s being sent to it. 

It has been a pleasure assisting you today. At the bottom, you will be able to see a survey and score your experience with me. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again via Email, Live Chat or by calling 800-243-0000. Thank you very much for your kindness and patience. Please enjoy the rest of your day and I wish you the best! 
Sincerely, 
Orlando
post #24 of 301 Old 05-12-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think that reply is misleading. You have a 2013 model manufactured in 2014.
post #25 of 301 Old 05-12-2014, 11:46 PM

Bill,

I guess the proof will be in the pudding. Tomorrow I will see if I can stream Netflix in 4K. I just don't know what is going on. I think I was pretty straight shooting in my question. I don't know how much clearer I could have been. I personally think it is a 2013 made in 2014 model like you said and will need the upgrade. Only time will tell.

Rich

I just sent this to LG

Sorry to bother you again Orlando but my AVS Forum thinks that I have a 2013 machine made in 2014 and not the 2014 4K TV Model with HDMI 2.0 & 10-Bit HEVC/H.265 Decoder They say I will need the upgrade later this year. Does the TV have a way to query it and find out exactly what hardware it has? Does the rest of the serial number give any clues?
Rich

SERIAL NUMBER: 402KCXMAG826

post #26 of 301 Old 05-13-2014, 09:36 AM

Sorry to bother you again Orlando but everyone in my AVS Forum says that I have a 2013 machine made in 2014 and not the 2014 4K TV Model with HDMI 2.0 & 10-Bit HEVC/H.265 Decoder They say it will need the upgrade later this year. Does the TV have a way to query it and find out exactly what hardware it has? Does the rest of the serial number give any clues?

Rich

SERIAL NUMBER: 402KCXMAG826

post #27 of 301 Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Bill,

How would I go about updating Netflix?

Rich

post #28 of 301 Old 05-13-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rich:

LG announced the 2014 UHD model line up at CES. None will be available until June at the earliest.

They include HDMI 2.0, HEVC and the new webOS smart TV interface.

The 2014 models are:
UC9
UB9800
UB9500
UB8500

And some OLED 4K TVs: These are the US model designations
EC9800
EC9700

Our LA9650 and the LA9700 are 2013 models.

It is common that email/phone support people have no idea what they are saying. They are not fully informed about models that have not been released.
post #29 of 301 Old 05-13-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richjh101 View Post

Bill,
How would I go about updating Netflix?
Rich
Software updates are pushed to your TV by LG over your network or you can download updates from LG's website and install them via USB.

There is a setting in the menu that controls the process. Go to the last item "?" and then software update. I set mine to automatic and it currently has version 05.06.05, installed about a week ago. This is newer than the version available online (05.03.06 dated 01/07/2014).

Go to settings and have a look. If you do not have 05.06.05 you can check for a new update and it will install.

AFAIK, this does not include an update to the Netflix app to enable 4K. I'm expecting that will be released later in the year.
post #30 of 301 Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 AM

Bill,

Thanks for the info. I will report on the LG and let you know what I have found out. I am waiting on the reply from LG. Hopefully they will not give me the runaround. Ever since I purchased this TV I have been finding a few short 4K clips on the internet so I will give them a go!.

Rich 

https://www.youtube.com/user/jacobschwarz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI1N7oelEW0

http://youtu.be/AI1N7oelEW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7WD-SpNX_I

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKkDjgBOPjWHnb4QkLcumypfG448h2Ndz

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
lg 55la9700 , lg 84lm9600 , lg la6500
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page