2014 Samsung SEK-2500U/ZA Evolution Kit and CY-SUC10SH/ZA UHD Video Pack - Page 35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1021 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyindallas View Post
Just took my SEK-2500U back to Best Buy and got a full refund ($433) and plan on purchasing one directly from Samsung in a few weeks or next month. After all the headaches this has caused me screaming at Samsung idiots on the phone, I bailed ship and said...I can't repeat it here. Let's just say that I feel much better with that thorn out of my side.
Now just to wait for Samsung to get this worked out...
I thought all the box's were the same and the firmware update occurred on the TV. If this is true then I don't see why you returned the box and didn't just hang onto it until Samsung releases the final update. Do I have the info about the update wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by polderman View Post
The firmware is not stored on your tv. If you put back your originale one connect box, the picture is fine with firmware 2221 (europe)

You you will have a good picture until firmware 1123 I can garantee .
I also guess that the firmware should be stored on the One Connect Box, but I'm not sure anymore. Someone in German forum wrote that he had two new boxes and updated only one to 1130 and when he connected the other one, it also had 1130. Someone else also posted something that would suggest the firmware is stored on TV. I guess I will find out tomorrow when my replacement arrives.
post #1023 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Maybe the new boxes are deliverd with the new firmware ?
montyindallas likes this.
post #1024 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polderman View Post
Maybe the new boxes are deliverd with the new firmware ?
I don't believe that, the v1130 is too new for them to have time to install it on hardware and ship it to shops.

And the German person had v1123 on both boxes before updating one of them (at least that's I understood it).
post #1025 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post
I thought all the box's were the same and the firmware update occurred on the TV. If this is true then I don't see why you returned the box and didn't just hang onto it until Samsung releases the final update. Do I have the info about the update wrong?
I am just shooting in the wind. I rubbed the box three times and no genie appeared. lol
No, I was reading on other sites that there have been people ordering from Samsung their boxes and not having problems with the v.1125 firmware. I don't know if I did the right thing, but I will wait until a few weeks into July before ordering another box. I do know that that cursed box has been given me fits for the past week and now I feel like the curse has been lifted. I am not as angry as I have been. I am just a die hard videophile who takes these things way too seriously. So I feel I have nothing to lose by getting one directly from Samsung (even Samsung told me the boxes are the same).
post #1026 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
4K thoughts using 1122 firmware last night mostly positive. 2160p MP4s I had looked great.
And netflix house of cards was pretty impressive but am I the only one who feels the 2160p netflix stream looks softer than 1080p. Every time the image really popped and looked super crisp I'd look in the corner and it was 1080.
2160 mp4s didn't look soft at all but netflix ones did in my opinion.
lonewolfx7 and denisoftus like this.
post #1027 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Joining the boat ....

Hi Folks -

I'll be joining this bandwagon. My setup is probably what everyone else has:

UN65F9000 - late 2013 model (had to return the device 3 times due to screen defects until I finally got a good one)
* Version 1125
SEK-2500U/ZA kit - bought 2 days ago and I have major screen flicker

I wrote to Samsung support and they told me to download this TV firmware:

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...T-FXP9AKUC.zip

Using these instructions:

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.co...T-FXP9AKUC.pdf

And I'm stuck on trying to get the TV to search the USB drive for firmware. Basically the Update option seems to only check the internet and if no new version is found, the update stops. I disable the network on the TV and the Update process fails immediately stating the network is down.

Has anyone run into this before? It's quite frustrating reading the stories on this thread because the Samsung agent prefaced his response to me by stating "he's never heard of this problem before".

Alex

Last edited by pthread_join; 06-12-2014 at 06:20 PM.
post #1028 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just received the new SEK-2500U/ZA today from samsung. Installed it and left it on firmware 1122 and it all looks great!

I go into the smart hub and all I see is the original netflix app!

Is this what I'm suppose to see or does netflix have a different app for 4k?

TIA
post #1029 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by atodzia View Post
Thanks. I am aware of that. The problem is that I watch more Cable TV than material out of the OPPO and I don't want the TV picture to be messed up. I do use the OPPO as my main music player now and I use it for VUDU. I think the OPPO Netflix app will not show the 4K listings, but I am not positive about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw2014 View Post
Just received the new SEK-2500U/ZA today from samsung. Installed it and left it on firmware 1122 and it all looks great!

I go into the smart hub and all I see is the original netflix app!

Is this what I'm suppose to see or does netflix have a different app for 4k?

TIA
Netflix has a different app and then you would see a 4K group. I wish I could revert to 1122. My box came with 1125.4 installed. I have the new Netfliox app and it streams the liitle 4K content that they have now, but regular HD cable looks terrible.
post #1030 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ty! What is your suggestion then, keep 1122 or update the firmware for the new netflix app?
post #1031 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw2014 View Post
Ty! What is your suggestion then, keep 1122 or update the firmware for the new netflix app?
Unfortuntely you don't have the choice to stay with 1122. Even if you turn auto update firmware off it will still auto update it.
post #1032 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Disaster!

So the unthinkable happened a couple of days ago :-(

My SEK-2500U/XC got updated to 1130.9.

What a ****ing disaster :-(

My netflix app disappeared and the picture quality has been completely destroyed, with a flat black screen becoming an uneven grey screen and NO WAY to make it black again.

Looking at the pattern of the grey (lighter in the middle than the sides) I think its pretty obvious that 1130.9 is indeed meant for the 2014 curved TV's and Samsung in their complete stupidity thought it would work without modification on a flat F9000.

Spoke to the pathetic customer support (who seemed completely unable to understand why removing the netflix app made me annoyed) and they said it will be months before a fix - what a pile of ****. I am fuming.

I have returned to the old one connect box (and for people wondering my firmware version is now 2221 again) and the picture is as beautiful as I remember.

I hope Samsung sort this out...
post #1033 of 2864 Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Before Christmas if that's possible
post #1034 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 01:06 AM

I received my replacement box! Connected it to TV, but i did not connect LAN cable. It has firmware v1122.3 on it and blacks are black again (as far as i can see in daylight)! So the firmware is stored in the box, not on TV.

Now need to figure out if i want to update to 1123.1 (latest good firmware in Europe) over USB and then make sure the auto update is disabled. Then i should be good...

EDIT: This damn thing turns auto update on when you set up Smart Hub! I set up Smart Hub and checked the setting immediately after that and auto update was on! I set it to off again and removed LAN cable as fast as i could (it was already displaying that there is a update to 1130 on the right side). I hold my breath and turned TV off and On again... I'm still on 1122, so it seems it could not finish downloading the update before i pulled the LAN cable. Samsung will hear from me when this crap updates itself without my permission.

EDIT2: It seems i'm good now. I have Netflix and good picture, everything works as it should. I'm still on 1122. Like i already wrote, i turned auto update off again after setting up Smart Hub and it seems it stays off now (i have done a few restarts).
It seems i need two One Connect Boxes, one for watching TV and another one for testing Samsung firmware updates. Samsung should really consider shipping 2in1 box

EDIT3: This damn thing updated to 1130.9!!! I had auto update off and it is still off, but it updated anyway. Picture is again ****ed up, damn Samsung.

EDIT4: Lost Netflix too. I can't believe this.
denisoftus likes this.

Samsung UE65F9000ST + SEK-2500U/ZG (European firmware v1141.6)

Last edited by poisike; 06-13-2014 at 06:02 AM.
post #1035 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisike View Post
I received my replacement box! Connected it to TV, but i did not connect LAN cable. It has firmware v1122.3 on it and blacks are black again (as far as i can see in daylight)! So the firmware is stored in the box, not on TV.

Now need to figure out if i want to update to 1123.1 (latest good firmware in Europe) over USB and then make sure the auto update is disabled. Then i should be good...

EDIT: This damn thing turns auto update on when you set up Smart Hub! I set up Smart Hub and checked the setting immediately after that and auto update was on! I set it to off again and removed LAN cable as fast as i could (it was already displaying that there is a update to 1130 on the right side). I hold my breath and turned TV off and On again... I'm still on 1122, so it seems it could not finish downloading the update before i pulled the LAN cable. Samsung will hear from me when this crap updates itself without my permission.

EDIT2: It seems i'm good now. I have Netflix and good picture, everything works as it should. I'm still on 1122. Like i already wrote, i turned auto update off again after setting up Smart Hub and it seems it stays off now (i have done a few restarts).
It seems i need two One Connect Boxes, one for watching TV and another one for testing Samsung firmware updates. Samsung should really consider shipping 2in1 box

EDIT3: This damn thing updated to 1130.9!!! I had auto update off and it is still off, but it updated anyway. Picture is again ****ed up, damn Samsung.
Lol, Samsung strikes again, I think when I get my replacement, I'm gonna disconnect it from the Internet altogether until they fix this firmware issue.
post #1036 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooreworship View Post
Lol, Samsung strikes again, I think when I get my replacement, I'm gonna disconnect it from the Internet altogether until they fix this firmware issue.
It's not really funny anymore. What are you going to do with a Smart TV that you can't connect to internet?

Samsung UE65F9000ST + SEK-2500U/ZG (European firmware v1141.6)

Last edited by poisike; 06-13-2014 at 06:08 AM.
post #1037 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 06:06 AM

I feel ya, I just rather have a clear picture than dealing with the washed out blacks the new firmware causes.
post #1038 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
I feel ya, I just rather have a clear picture than dealing with the washed out blacks the new firmware causes.

Does anyone know what the critical update to the firmware was to supposed to accomplish when it went from good blacks to washed out blacks in the current release?
post #1039 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

If that's the case, then keep using the original one connect and keep internet for Amazon, Netflix, etc. Not to mention, you will have good video for regular TV.

Last edited by rlb; 06-13-2014 at 06:55 AM.
post #1040 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PLEASE can someone tell me if when properly installed, proper firmware (everything working normally) will the 2014 one connect box improve picture quality!??? Upscalling, less artifacts, better color? I'm just trying to justify getting this TV when I could get a new model without the hassle of the upgrade problems. Please help me. Sorry if its been covered already
post #1041 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by what-now View Post
PLEASE can someone tell me if when prophierly installed, proper firmware (everything working normally) will the 2014 one connect box improve picture quality!??? Upscalling, less artifacts, better color? I'm just trying to justify getting this TV when I could get a new model without the hassle of the upgrade problems. Please help me. Sorry if its been covered already
get a new tv and save yourself the worry, lol
post #1042 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 07:59 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I'd wait a month and see if the firmware issues with the new one connect box are resolved. If done correctly, F9000 should be a better display than the 8500 (better construction, better speakers, faster processor, more features).
montyindallas likes this.
post #1043 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
I'd wait a month and see if the firmware issues with the new one connect box are resolved. If done correctly, F9000 should be a better display than the 8500 (better construction, better speakers, faster processor, more features).
That's what I was wondering (& hoping for). Samsung's been no help with my questions though. And I've read all the horror stories. The TV gets here tomorrow.:/ I've no problem waiting for things to be sorted with the 2014box before getting it. As long as the end result is a plus. Its the unknown thats making me a mess.
post #1044 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
That's what I was wondering (& hoping for). Samsung's been no help with my questions though. And I've read all the horror stories. The TV gets here tomorrow.:/ I've no problem waiting for things to be sorted with the 2014box before getting it. As long as the end result is a plus. Its the unknown thats making me a mess.
Looks like you already purchased the set, if so there's no need to get the new set, but if you were shopping now for a set I would say get the new set.
post #1045 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 08:51 AM

Contacting Tech Support

If you call tech support about the one connect problem here is some advice to avoid frustration. I am still waiting for a call back but hopefully it will be from a person that knows what is going on.

Ask to speak to a Tech Support Manager. If they ask if you called before about this problem say 3 times or numerous times and they didn't know what was going on and didn't have an answer. (I did and that is what happened) I had to say this to two or three people until I reached the dept. that was the main support for the 4K TV's and the One Connect box. The support person took detailed notes on the problem and then asked me a few questions so I knew she was familiar with the product (did I use the new cable, etc.). She then looked for a Tech Support Manager and said she couldn't find one but one would call back within 24 hours and I got a case number. So in the future I can call with the case number and ask for an update without having to explain everything again. They can just read the notes.
sikclown likes this.
post #1046 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I also opted for the older model mainly because of the one connect box, which their newer ones don't have, only the curved models have it. I like the idea of not having all the wires plugged in to the back of my TV. Also due to the cost. Now at $2899 in US (for the 65"). I'm just hoping Samsung fixes these firmware issues soon, or I may just return my TV and the new box. However, when first connected, the new box seemed to be fine, as everyone else reported, netflix and House of cards looked good in 4k, and the new features on the box seemed worth the upgrade, the new firmware just messed a few things up. It seems if it would revert back to the previous firmware, it would be fine.
post #1047 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
You may keep the internet from destroying your firmware, but no internet, no apps. Cannot watch Netflix unless connected to internet (at least here in US).
post #1048 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyindallas View Post
You may keep the internet from destroying your firmware, but no internet, no apps. Cannot watch Netflix unless connected to internet (at least here in US).
my oppo 103d does netflix and so does my Xbox one, I just wouldn't have 4k.
post #1049 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaholic View Post
I also opted for the older model mainly because of the one connect box, which their newer ones don't have, only the curved models have it. I like the idea of not having all the wires plugged in to the back of my TV. Also due to the cost. Now at $2899 in US (for the 65"). I'm just hoping Samsung fixes these firmware issues soon, or I may just return my TV and the new box. However, when first connected, the new box seemed to be fine, as everyone else reported, netflix and House of cards looked good in 4k, and the new features on the box seemed worth the upgrade, the new firmware just messed a few things up. It seems if it would revert back to the previous firmware, it would be fine.
Wow..were you pleased with the picture quality of 1080 such as dtv before the new box? (uniformity, contrast,color, movement)?? I just want the best picture for the money. I got it $700 cheaper than the 8550(us). If I need to wait for the firmware to be sorted, fine. My worry is i don't know what i'm going to be stuck with In the end.before and after update. Buyers remorse is a nightmare. I'm hoping to Simply Enjoy the deal I got. And move on. Maybe move on to the curve when its price falls.
post #1050 of 2864 Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 AM

Don't buy the One Connect Box Until firmware is fixed

If people think they are going to be special and get a One Connect box that works correctly now, no such box exists. Save yourself a headache and wasted time and read this forum until you read that a new firmware has been released that fixes the problems. In the mean time, enjoy the great picture the TV has with the original One Connect box.
rlb likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - SEK-2500U by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page