Old 06-23-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
So my 900a was having some clouding problems and sony offered me the 900b as a replacement but I decided to upgrade to the 65x950b and I can't wait!! My order is in now. So I got to use the 900a for 3 months and with the price I paid for the 900a and the amout to upgrade to the 950 came to 6250 with free shipping. Sony canada is out of stock now so might be a month till I get it but sony will let me keep the 900a for the time being.I think that's a good deal I'm in canada and you guys in the states always seem to get the better deals. After I get the set I'll be sure to post my thoughts. I've had a lot of tv's over the years at least 12 in the last 10 years, some being the vt30 vt50 and 70 inch elite. I hope this tv takes the cake! I keep looking on the web for impressions and reviews on this set and there's not much at the moment. Any owners have any more thoughts on the set?
From reading of the issues members are having with this `just out of the gate' set, I think it wise of Sony Canada to wait it out until all the bugs are ironed out. I'm in Canada to, and watching! But $8000 for bugs?
The other issue I believe, is a warehouse full of older product. Don't know how many e-mails they keep sending me re the `A' Series!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
No I do not think it's watered down terminology when it's an improvement. The X900B has a wider color gamut than the X900A.
The thing that impressed me most with the Sony 900B and the 850B was the color. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the color on the current Sony 4K sets.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Usually companies send products to reviewers well before they are in stores. Does not seem to be the case with TVs though.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I didn't say the gamut was smaller. I said the the triluminous term has been watered down by Sony continually redefining it to where it basically means nothing. A true RGB LED backlight and Quantum Dots were unique features. Triluminous is now nothing but an empty marketing word. There's nothing in a 2014 Triluminous Sony TV that every one of their competitors making wide gamut TVs don't have. That wasn't true of prior triluminous Sony TVs.
Quantum Dots was replaced by Sony own in house technology. I'm not sure if you've seen the video but the rep explains it.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
Quantum Dots was replaced by Sony own in house technology. I'm not sure if you've seen the video but the rep explains it.
They're using the color filter in the LCD panel to set the color gamut, just like everyone else. Sony marketing spin FTL.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
128 zones and an IPS panel... I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for that to solve the blooming problem.
I wonder why these companies are getting so cheap, 128 zones in not enough.........
Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
They believe customers are stupid. It's just that simple. Best Buy told me the debris behind the LCD panel and in front of the Backlight panel would "go away" on its own in time because the backlights would "burn off" the debris behind the TV panel. I'm sorry, but this is a store manager who is otherwise very nice and was very helpful. But the point of LED lights is they use less energy and run cooler. And I'm simply not following how it would "burn off" in time. That made absolutely no sense at all.

Maybe I'm wrong, when we heard that everyone was kind of looking at ea. other and scratching their heads how that comment made any sense. Still waiting on them to get this resolved. Buying TV sets and going through this process is about as painful as it gets. Corner cutting on Sony's part, keeping the number of dimming zones down below the elite, etc. They said Sharp discontinued the Elite because they used too much energy and couldn't meet the EPA standards going forward. There may be some truth to that, but I also think there has to be a better way of going about it. Especially when you consider all the tech they have in their arsenal and what you can do on a iPad air with retina display processing wise. That thing runs on a battery and the display can look fairly decent. If a iPad can run on a 10W wall charger, a TV into a 120W outlet should have no excuses for processing and how they do the backlighting. Just my $.02
Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
They believe customers are stupid. It's just that simple. Best Buy told me the debris behind the LCD panel and in front of the Backlight panel would "go away" on its own in time because the backlights would "burn off" the debris behind the TV panel. I'm sorry, but this is a store manager who is otherwise very nice and was very helpful. But the point of LED lights is they use less energy and run cooler. And I'm simply not following how it would "burn off" in time. That made absolutely no sense at all.

Maybe I'm wrong, when we heard that everyone was kind of looking at ea. other and scratching their heads how that comment made any sense. Still waiting on them to get this resolved. Buying TV sets and going through this process is about as painful as it gets. Corner cutting on Sony's part, keeping the number of dimming zones down below the elite, etc. They said Sharp discontinued the Elite because they used too much energy and couldn't meet the EPA standards going forward. There may be some truth to that, but I also think there has to be a better way of going about it. Especially when you consider all the tech they have in their arsenal and what you can do on a iPad air with retina display processing wise. That thing runs on a battery and the display can look fairly decent. If a iPad can run on a 10W wall charger, a TV into a 120W outlet should have no excuses for processing and how they do the backlighting. Just my $.02
I had a set with horrible banding and they kept trying to blame the HDMI cable. sometimes I think this is what the manufacture is telling them.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-24-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I had a set with horrible banding and they kept trying to blame the HDMI cable. sometime I think this is what the manufacture is telling them.
I hope that was not the 950b...
Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I had a set with horrible banding and they kept trying to blame the HDMI cable. sometime I think this is what the manufacture is telling them.
I got that same line too. I said then why don't I have the issue with other TV sets then? The other TV I tested on the same cable didn't exhibit this issue? They just said it was a possibility since I had just shot that one down. There must be a set of things to tell people to make them check so they can try and keep them from having to replace things. A coat hanger in many instances will pass just as good a signal as HDMI cables. So it's basically a case of you have signal or you don't.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I wonder why these companies are getting so cheap, 128 zones in not enough.........
It's probably around the sweet spot of cost vs. benefit. They probably feel that number of zones is adequate for the vast majority of viewers & content and that more zones only help corner cases while it really impacts the cost.

These companies are clearly not targeting the super picky / demanding videophiles. They're only after making the TV good enough so that the vast majority of customers won't return them or open warranty claims. It's not unlike cable & satellite TV providers. They're not obsessing over how to delivery you a pristine viewing experience. They're obsessing over how low they can get their bitrates without losing too many customers. TV makers and content deliverers are trying to maximize sales and profits.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

Clearly this manager should leave the support questions to the experts.

Also, The Sharp Elite going away had nothing to do with EPA standards. Just simply not true.

Though I am an employee of Magnolia Home Theater, the views and opinions I express on this forum are those of my own and not my employer.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey y'all,

Just got my 950b in from Cleveland Plasma....This set rocks. I have $hit my pants twice while playing around with it...damn...am I allowed to curse here? Sorry. I am just so excited. This TV replaces my 2008 46 inch Bravia v2500, so clearly the excitement is warranted.

Just wanted to add that CP couldn't have been more helpful or honest in my dealings with them. Chris answered all my calls and emails and did a fantastic job handling my NYC paranoia.

I included a frozen framed shot from a Youtube 4k clip ("Peru?"). Tried uploading a 30 second clip but got rejected.

I am anxiously awaiting some calibration suggestions from CP so I can maximize my screen joy. Also, got this hooked up with a Denon 1912 and the TV seems to upscale stuff very nicely. I popped Pacific Rim into the xbox one and it looked fantastic on the big screen. It was playing on HBO HD as well and it definitely looked better from the 1080p feed from the xbox one. TWC feed looked nice just not as amazing as Xbox one...ok...I am babbling now...too excited...haven't eaten anything yet today...feeling faint....eat food or play with TV more?! I don't know what to do with myself...oh crap...I should put on some pants first I guess.

Thank you Chris/Cleveland Plasma and thank you for this forum for the good advice and back n forth.

Calibrations please!!!!

good luck to you all,

Jon Wan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3994.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	133674  
brickyardz and rgb32 like this.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwan View Post
Hey y'all,

Just got my 950b in from Cleveland Plasma....This set rocks. I have $hit my pants twice while playing around with it...damn...am I allowed to curse here? Sorry. I am just so excited. This TV replaces my 2008 46 inch Bravia v2500, so clearly the excitement is warranted.

Just wanted to add that CP couldn't have been more helpful or honest in my dealings with them. Chris answered all my calls and emails and did a fantastic job handling my NYC paranoia.

I included a frozen framed shot from a Youtube 4k clip ("Peru?"). Tried uploading a 30 second clip but got rejected.

I am anxiously awaiting some calibration suggestions from CP so I can maximize my screen joy. Also, got this hooked up with a Denon 1912 and the TV seems to upscale stuff very nicely. I popped Pacific Rim into the xbox one and it looked fantastic on the big screen. It was playing on HBO HD as well and it definitely looked better from the 1080p feed from the xbox one. TWC feed looked nice just not as amazing as Xbox one...ok...I am babbling now...too excited...haven't eaten anything yet today...feeling faint....eat food or play with TV more?! I don't know what to do with myself...oh crap...I should put on some pants first I guess.

Thank you Chris/Cleveland Plasma and thank you for this forum for the good advice and back n forth.

Calibrations please!!!!

good luck to you all,

Jon Wan
That sloth is popping out of the screen
Adamd likes this.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I hope that was not the 950b...
This was a 950B. Two bands on either side of he center logo about 6 inches out. It also had panel defects and so it could just be a lemon.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

I'm starting to think if you look hard enough you can find banding on almost all Sonys tv's.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Hey y'all,

Calibrations please!!!!

good luck to you all,

Jon Wan
LOL @ NYC paranoia. And here I thought I was the only one who had it.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Hey y'all,

Calibrations please!!!!

good luck to you all,

Jon Wan

Thanks for the feedback, you sound very excited. Since you are running your movies through the Xbox One, can you comment how gaming is on the 950b? I kept reading about you running this and that through the Xbox One and you did not mention how gaming is on the set. So when you can, give us your input on gaming? Any issues with banding or clouding?

-Hawkmoon
Old 06-24-2014, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I'm starting to think if you look hard enough you can find banding on almost all Sonys tv's.
You can, but there is a difference between banding that is distracting where it takes away from your viewing pleasure to the type of banding that you don't notice it is there at all. I have 3 other Sony sets in my home and all have some level of banding, but it really is only noticeable on a dark gray screen. However, the banding I had on my new Panasonic AX800 was the annoying, "hey look, it me, banding" going on. Watching the World Cup on 3 of my Sony's and then on the AX800 was very telling. Where on the Sony's, I could barely see the banding to the AX800 where the green grass looked easily a few shades darker as the camera passed the area where the banding is located.

So, yes, you can see banding on almost every set, but there is acceptable banding and not acceptable banding. Just like clouding, some of he sets I have had in the past were slight, while others were really bad.

-Hawkmoon
Old 06-24-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Thanks for the feedback, you sound very excited. Since you are running your movies through the Xbox One, can you comment how gaming is on the 950b? I kept reading about you running this and that through the Xbox One and you did not mention how gaming is on the set. So when you can, give us your input on gaming? Any issues with banding or clouding?
I am quite the newbie and had to look up banding and clouding to answer your question, but I think my set has avoided any of those problems. When the xbox was loading up the green was very green and consistent through the screen. Same as the red for the Netflix load up screen. I have played Wolfenstein for about 15-20 minutes and tried to find screen shots that showed good light and shadows--all looks very crisp and clean...maybe a bit of pixelation when whipping your head around but I have just thrown in the calibrations that were listed earlier in this thread (which seem to work nicely) but am awaiting some calibration suggestions from Cleveland Plasma and or any other vet's of AVS who have a nice calibration for those of us who like to game and watch movies with lots of aliens, lasers, and star destroyers.

House of Cards 4k via Netflix looked great. Also booted up a youtube 4k clip entitled "Peru," which also looked fantastic.

As I have mentioned in my previous posts, I am upgrading from a 6-7 year old 46" Bravia V2500, so I can't really compare this TV to last years models or even anything post 2010. All I can say is I have a grin from ear to ear and am really happy with this TV. I also feel kinda cool for having this in my living room before any Best Buy in NYC has one on their store shelves. I might just have to charge people to come and see this! Who's in? Step right up....Don't touch the panel sir!...Feast your eyes....yada yada...!!!!"
brickyardz likes this.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

How's the 3d on this set? Does it have much crosstalk? I've read reviews for the 900b and some say very low crosstalk and cnet said it had bad crosstalk. Anyone want to give me a mini review about the 3d?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For the 950B there is 144 zones for FALD, David Susillo gave his review impression on the earlier pages for the 950B with the minor issues since its still LCD

or was it a different thread about 4K

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...

Last edited by whasaaaab; 06-24-2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Operating System?

Excuse the geek question, but I was poking around the software license list on the set and there is a lot of BSD software on it (Similar to the software set listed on Apple IOS and OSX). Some of the BSD code appears to be kernel code, anybody know what OS running on the set?

Keith
Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but I wanted to take a moment to say sorry for some of the poor experiences a few of you had at Best Buy. I actually work there and I truly wish the experiences alotted to you were better.

Aside from that, as a person who spends a lot of time staring at the Sony 4K TVs, I just wanted to illicit a couple of the things I've noticed with them. The glare on the X850B is much worse than on the higher-end models. I'll also state that off-angle viewing with the X950B allowed me the opportunity to see the local-dimming in live action. I was watching a live-feed of the World Cup and the bright and dark shades of grass on the field caused the local dimming to go crazy. It was fun to watch, but I was curious as to if anyone is having that same thing occur at home. I could only see it straight-on for a moment, but as I said, the off-angle view really showed the shadowing in the screen. What's your feedback on this as a customer? Noticeable?

Does anyone have, or plan to purchase Sony's 4K upscaling blu ray player - the BDPS6200? Can you tell me if you see any advantages from a quality stand point? I have demoed The Desolation of Smaug on an entry level player, but the 4K TVs did an excellent job upscaling it solo.

I am leaning on purchasing the 65X850B or 55X900B. I love the quality of the 900B (less glare, better black level), but I already have tower speakers with a Yamaha A730 receiver. I don't NEED the additional speakers, but you know as well as I do that contrast is the most important aspect of a TV next to resolution. I am torn with indecision and it does not help me that I have to see it for 40 hours a week.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiEyeSpy View Post
Hey all,
I am leaning on purchasing the 65X850B or 55X900B. I love the quality of the 900B (less glare, better black level).
I returned my 9005b(900b) because of glare. It was way too reflective for my liking. (I hear x850b has semi matte coating)
bigballermike99 likes this.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but I wanted to take a moment to say sorry for some of the poor experiences a few of you had at Best Buy. I actually work there and I truly wish the experiences alotted to you were better.

Aside from that, as a person who spends a lot of time staring at the Sony 4K TVs, I just wanted to illicit a couple of the things I've noticed with them. The glare on the X850B is much worse than on the higher-end models. I'll also state that off-angle viewing with the X950B allowed me the opportunity to see the local-dimming in live action. I was watching a live-feed of the World Cup and the bright and dark shades of grass on the field caused the local dimming to go crazy. It was fun to watch, but I was curious as to if anyone is having that same thing occur at home. I could only see it straight-on for a moment, but as I said, the off-angle view really showed the shadowing in the screen. What's your feedback on this as a customer? Noticeable?

Does anyone have, or plan to purchase Sony's 4K upscaling blu ray player - the BDPS6200? Can you tell me if you see any advantages from a quality stand point? I have demoed The Desolation of Smaug on an entry level player, but the 4K TVs did an excellent job upscaling it solo.

I am leaning on purchasing the 65X850B or 55X900B. I love the quality of the 900B (less glare, better black level), but I already have tower speakers with a Yamaha A730 receiver. I don't NEED the additional speakers, but you know as well as I do that contrast is the most important aspect of a TV next to resolution. I am torn with indecision and it does not help me that I have to see it for 40 hours a week.
The unfortunate thing for your employer is not that there aren't knowledgable or good people that work there. It's that Corporate is set in such a manner they don't give much of a care about the customer and the people that handle and manage these products are often content to say stuff they don't know anything about or handle the property with such disregard. I had a geeksquad member tell me in a conversation I had with him that he wishes many times the store GMs would keep their mouths shut when they don't know what they are talking about. Such as dust under the glass burning off in time. It just makes the rest of the company seem less knowledgable. This will be my last time doing business most likely with Best Buy as it is obvious they aren't truly about giving the customer a great experience. It's more about how much $$$ they can get and then moving on to the next sale. If the customer has an issue, they make it into a huge inconvenience.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I'll also state that off-angle viewing with the X950B allowed me the opportunity to see the local-dimming in live action. I was watching a live-feed of the World Cup and the bright and dark shades of grass on the field caused the local dimming to go crazy.
Are you sure it was the local dimming that caused this? Did you turn local dimming off to see if the problem went away?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Are you sure it was the local dimming that caused this? Did you turn local dimming off to see if the problem went away?
Which option turns off local dimming?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Man watching Google I/O I really wished they brought Android TV to the this 2014 line, instead of next years 2015 line.

65X950B with Android TV, that would be one damn sexy TV. I hate waiting.

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Vizio P70, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, Nexus player, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, and about 20 more gaming systems
PC: 4.5ghz 5960x, Rampage Extreme V, 512GB XP951, 6x 1TB Samsung 850 pro. 32GB DDR4 Ripsaws 4, 3x 980 Classifieds, Caselabs STH10 Gun Metal, Asus ROG Swift
Old 06-25-2014, 11:56 AM

3d

Quote:
How's the 3d on this set? Does it have much crosstalk? I've read reviews for the 900b and some say very low crosstalk and cnet said it had bad crosstalk. Anyone want to give me a mini review about the 3d?
I don't have a 3d player (waiting/hoping that xbox one will update their system to handle this) but I did go to HBO 3D on demand through my TWC account and watched the first 20 min of Prometheus. I didn't expect the 3D to look all that good but I came away pleasantly surprised. 3d was pretty clear and it didn't get too bad when I tilted my head (that drives me a bit nuts at the IMAX 3d showings where the slightest head nod throws the picture off). I also just watched the local NBC HD news in 3d and it looked pretty cool too.

I don't think I'll splurge on a standalone 3d player but for the occasional fun of it, why not! It worked better than I would have thought.

Gear in this thread - X950B by PriceGrabber.com