post #721 of 1186 Old 06-25-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
LOL @ NYC paranoia. And here I thought I was the only one who had it.

Mid-west guy here, what is NYC paranoia? Is it bad? Can I catch it and is it spreading this way? If so, give me a heads so I can have a head start on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1186 Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I received my 950B from Cleveland AV this afternoon. Box was undamaged and tv set works fine. Delivery truck had box strapped to side (along with a couple of other sets) and unloading, testing for screen damage via powerup, attaching table top stand, etc all went smoothly. I will probably wall mount in the future but just wanted to get it up and running.

Picture is quite good but will play around with some of the suggested calibration parameters. I've seen very minor uniformity issues, so far only on Amazon app startup screen (which is a gray background). Normal viewing is fine, motion is also quite good - I've been watching world cup and wimbledon. Only complaint so far is that I wish the Sony 3d glasses I already had from a previous set worked on this one as they are usb rechargeable. When I first used the ones supplied with the set, they had to register with the set and then began working. I watched about 10 minutes of World cup using the simulated 3d but will view some 3d movies later this evening.

FWIW, I would certainly recommend Cleveland AV; can't beat Chris' pricing and service.
post #723 of 1186 Old 06-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Good stuff I hope you injoy your set. Would love to hear your thoughts on the 3d performance of the 950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post
I received my 950B from Cleveland AV this afternoon. Box was undamaged and tv set works fine. Delivery truck had box strapped to side (along with a couple of other sets) and unloading, testing for screen damage via powerup, attaching table top stand, etc all went smoothly. I will probably wall mount in the future but just wanted to get it up and running.

Picture is quite good but will play around with some of the suggested calibration parameters. I've seen very minor uniformity issues, so far only on Amazon app startup screen (which is a gray background). Normal viewing is fine, motion is also quite good - I've been watching world cup and wimbledon. Only complaint so far is that I wish the Sony 3d glasses I already had from a previous set worked on this one as they are usb rechargeable. When I first used the ones supplied with the set, they had to register with the set and then began working. I watched about 10 minutes of World cup using the simulated 3d but will view some 3d movies later this evening.

FWIW, I would certainly recommend Cleveland AV; can't beat Chris' pricing and service.
post #724 of 1186 Old 06-25-2014, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
The unfortunate thing for your employer is not that there aren't knowledgable or good people that work there. It's that Corporate is set in such a manner they don't give much of a care about the customer and the people that handle and manage these products are often content to say stuff they don't know anything about or handle the property with such disregard. I had a geeksquad member tell me in a conversation I had with him that he wishes many times the store GMs would keep their mouths shut when they don't know what they are talking about. Such as dust under the glass burning off in time. It just makes the rest of the company seem less knowledgable. This will be my last time doing business most likely with Best Buy as it is obvious they aren't truly about giving the customer a great experience. It's more about how much $$$ they can get and then moving on to the next sale. If the customer has an issue, they make it into a huge inconvenience.
As I said, I'm sorry to hear about such poor experiences. All I can say is that not every manager or salesperson is created equally. I'm sure you've worked long enough to know that some people flat out do their job better than others. Some are paycheck players and others have a deep investment in the customer experience. Sometimes people in sales forget what it means to be a consumer, and for that I apologize. I know that one bad apple spoils the bunch, so I would never convince you to return to your local Best Buy, but keep in mind that many of us do give a damn and value every single customer. Whether someone needs a simple VGA cable or is looking to build an extravagant HT system, every person should be addressed as though they were the very last customer on Earth. That's my philosophy anywho.
post #725 of 1186 Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Are you sure it was the local dimming that caused this? Did you turn local dimming off to see if the problem went away?
I assumed it was local dimming because the shadowing occurred actively when the camera moved. As I said, it was only at an off-angle and a sharp one at that. I turned on the DirecTV feed for live ESPN coverage of the World Cup and noticed that the dimming occurred as the camera panned over the field. As the camera moved left to right, shadowed areas appeared and disappeared in accordance with that movement (I assumed to highlight the two shades of green on the field). Now, the TV was on Normal mode, so it was not set to the brightest settings, but at a sharp angle the dimming was evident.

Aside from that, having to stare at the Samsung and Sony TVs all day did allow me to flat out reject Samsung's picture quality. Motion blur is near perfect on the Sony's, but is an epidemic on the Samsungs. I really want the 65X850B, but the edge lighting worries me. I don't want to have to return it. The anticipation alone has me on edge. It'd be a major let-down to see bad lighting on an otherwise gorgeous TV.
post #726 of 1186 Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post
I returned my 9005b(900b) because of glare. It was way too reflective for my liking. (I hear x850b has semi matte coating)
Very interesting! In my store, the 900B and 950B handle glare better than the 850B. I also work in a very bright store, so I've looked the TVs up and down examining every detail possible. It looks as though the 900/950B have the same panel. With my fluorescent lighting in-store, the 850B seems to reflect it glaringly (pun intended), but the 900/950 seems to dull it a bit. Admittedly, the position it's in at my store allows for the 850 to pick up more glare, but when I looked at the three TVs (while kneeling down and to the right of them all) the 850 seemed to have more glare, albeit not as bad as Samsung's flagship models, but in the general vicinity.
post #727 of 1186 Old 06-26-2014, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I'm starting to think if you look hard enough you can find banding on almost all Sonys tv's.
No doubt about it.

Banding is banding. Unfortunately, LCD/LEDs all have it to some degree. Sony's 4k lineup seems to be no exception.

Coming from Plasma to LCD, I hate it. However having bounce through three brands in 60 days, I pick Sony's sets for their all around package. Sony's sets look natural and balanced compared to their competition.
brickyardz likes this.

Last edited by mavenaz; 06-26-2014 at 03:13 AM.
post #728 of 1186 Old 06-26-2014, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiEyeSpy View Post
Very interesting! In my store, the 900B and 950B handle glare better than the 850B. I also work in a very bright store, so I've looked the TVs up and down examining every detail possible. It looks as though the 900/950B have the same panel. With my fluorescent lighting in-store, the 850B seems to reflect it glaringly (pun intended), but the 900/950 seems to dull it a bit. Admittedly, the position it's in at my store allows for the 850 to pick up more glare, but when I looked at the three TVs (while kneeling down and to the right of them all) the 850 seemed to have more glare, albeit not as bad as Samsung's flagship models, but in the general vicinity.
I have to go and see myself but I am now leaning towards 1080p sets(w828,w855a or w850b). Reflections ruined dark scenes for me cause I could see my face in screen on those My previous Sony was semi matte and I want that for next TV as well.(or full matte like 850b) 9005b was great in bright scenes with clear colors and high luminance output for daytime viewing but it was the dark scenes that introduced me as a character to the movie Maybe they changed the panel coating for the US model? French reviewer also complained about the reflections(still gave 5/5)
post #729 of 1186 Old 06-26-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Some of the 950Bs have the Banding issues more than others. It's not anywhere as bad as I've seen in the Samsungs in years past. Nothing is perfect, and with that in mind you have to be prepared for a certain degrees of acceptability in variation. My biggest issues with these sets are how sony has debris behind the backlight on the set. It's silly how that happens, but these set are not Kurus or Elites by any means. Sony is merely charging a lot for most people to think they are getting something of equal footing. Granted the elites when I last shopped TV sets were renowned for backlight pulsing and DSE. I've not seen either of these things either on the new sets.

I also agree, I miss the USB recharging for the 3D glasses as well.
post #730 of 1186 Old 06-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

My elite had bad dse and the pulsing was a deal breaker for me. There was ways to make it happen less but if I'm going to spend 7k on a set I'm going to put the setting the way I like them to look. How is the 3d on your 950b?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
Some of the 950Bs have the Banding issues more than others. It's not anywhere as bad as I've seen in the Samsungs in years past. Nothing is perfect, and with that in mind you have to be prepared for a certain degrees of acceptability in variation. My biggest issues with these sets are how sony has debris behind the backlight on the set. It's silly how that happens, but these set are not Kurus or Elites by any means. Sony is merely charging a lot for most people to think they are getting something of equal footing. Granted the elites when I last shopped TV sets were renowned for backlight pulsing and DSE. I've not seen either of these things either on the new sets.

I also agree, I miss the USB recharging for the 3D glasses as well.
post #731 of 1186 Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
My elite had bad dse and the pulsing was a deal breaker for me. There was ways to make it happen less but if I'm going to spend 7k on a set I'm going to put the setting the way I like them to look. How is the 3d on your 950b?
I haven't fired the 3D up yet. Partly because I have one issue to work out before I unhook the old sets and also because my Xbox One doesn't do 3D playback. I might try to simulate the 3D anyways and see how that is. But otherwise, it's a nice TV. The old dying 950 sets I had before were brighter on the image and the edges of the 950B seem to dim a bit as you hit the edge. But it otherwise seems like a good set.

It's about as good as you're gonna get as the old 950 set from a couple years ago was the pinnacle of 1080P sets. I also don't see any benefit with the 4K. Only other nitpick is that ugly camera Sony stuck on the top because they were too lazy to integrate it into the panel or have it retract like samsungs.

I might be sounding more negative than positive, but I do think this is one of the best on the market just to reiterate. I just also feel like manufacturers take a couple steps back when they go to a new format so they can have room to up themselves the next year.

Not too dissimilar to Apple and how they spoon feed their customers.
post #732 of 1186 Old 06-26-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Did any of your 65X950B owners move up from a 65X900B? I was debating about switching. I am moving from a Pioneer KRP-600M. I have a 65X900B that is being exchanged due to excessive light leaking from the side LED's as well as blooming / light bleeding in the upper corners, and banding noticable in watching hockey, soccer, and playing PS4/XB1. Wondering if I should spend the extra $2500 and move up to the X950B, just don't know if it is worth it.

Thanks,

Y2J
post #733 of 1186 Old 06-26-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 170
How much of the `Banding', is actually mismatched Filters layers that were applied?
On Samsungs, this was what people were actually seeing when viewed from the side. The filters are to reduce reflectivity, but whom ever was applying, didn't make sure the top, middle and bottom layers were similar. Why can't one layer go on instead of 3?
There was also an issue that unclean rollers were leaving tread marks on the panels. What happens with mass production!
post #734 of 1186 Old 06-26-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
No doubt about it.

Banding is banding. Unfortunately, LCD/LEDs all have it to some degree. Sony's 4k lineup seems to be no exception.

Coming from Plasma to LCD, I hate it. However having bounce through three brands in 60 days, I pick Sony's sets for their all around package. Sony's sets look natural and balanced compared to their competition.
Sony's Smooth Gradiation setting all but eliminates banding. I've thrown a lot of content on the 4Ks at my store (Samsung and Sony alike), and when you set the Smooth Gradiation to high, it all but eliminates the banding. Now, it is not gone 100%, but I'd say easily 90% of it goes away. I've demoed documentaries in wildlife, blu ray movies (Desolation of Smaug is gorgeous in 4K), and regular tv. When that setting is on, you have to actively work to find banding. With it off, omgwtflolz it's bad.
post #735 of 1186 Old 06-26-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Good stuff I hope you injoy your set. Would love to hear your thoughts on the 3d performance of the 950.
I watched Hobbit 2 (Desolation of Smaug) last night in 3d; it was very impressive. I did have very minor occasional cross talk but the picture depth and detail were excellent. My 3d player is Oppo 103 with hdmi output signal passed through Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver.

I haven't done any calibrations yet, hope to experiment more this weekend. I have seen some occasional blooming, but overall am quite satisfied with this set, especially the upscaling and black levels; amazing picture quality.
post #736 of 1186 Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post
I watched Hobbit 2 (Desolation of Smaug) last night in 3d; it was very impressive. I did have very minor occasional cross talk but the picture depth and detail were excellent. My 3d player is Oppo 103 with hdmi output signal passed through Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver.

I haven't done any calibrations yet, hope to experiment more this weekend. I have seen some occasional blooming, but overall am quite satisfied with this set, especially the upscaling and black levels; amazing picture quality.
Good to hear! How was the brightness and was there flicker? Thanks for your input I can't wait to get my 950!
post #737 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am interested in the XBR65X950B, but with all the discussion about banding, blooming and bleeding (BBB) on this all apparently all other LCD TV's, OLED might be the way to go......

LG just announced a 65" 4K OLED 65EC970V which will cost £5,999 ($8,100) coming out in the Fall and is equivalent to the screen size and price of the Sony 950B.
The only one negative would be a curved screen that cannot be wall mounted.

These TVs could very well set the new bar for picture quality. 4K resolution combined with perfect blacks, near-perfect viewing angles, vibrant colors and ultra-fast response time will surely impress even enthusiasts.
The TVs will also feature LG’s new webOS platform that offers TV apps, live TV and games, and a much improved user interface with a focus on simplicity.
Additionally, LG highlights HDMI 2.0 and HEVC, which means that they will be able to stream Netflix 4K.
The TVs will also offer 3D capabilities based on the cheap 3D glasses you know from the movie theatre.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1403851665
post #738 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoubaixPro View Post
LG just announced a 65" 4K OLED 65EC970V which will cost £5,999 ($8,100) coming out in the Fall and is equivalent to the screen size and price of the Sony 950B.
Your currency conversion is off quite a bit. That's just over $10k. Still, I'd guess the US the MSRP will be $7.5-8.0k.
post #739 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 05:35 AM

Wink

Oops, you are right about the currency conversion error. I used an online converter which is wrong.
The current correct conversion is £5,000 = $10,215 USD.

So I will probably get the Sony 950B now
post #740 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I am interested in the XBR65X950B, but with all the discussion about banding, blooming and bleeding (BBB) on this all apparently all other LCD TV's, OLED might be the way to go......

These TVs could very well set the new bar for picture quality. 4K resolution combined with perfect blacks, near-perfect viewing angles, vibrant colors and ultra-fast response time will surely impress even enthusiasts.
The TVs will also feature LG’s new webOS platform that offers TV apps, live TV and games, and a much improved user interface with a focus on simplicity.
Additionally, LG highlights HDMI 2.0 and HEVC, which means that they will be able to stream Netflix 4K.
The TVs will also offer 3D capabilities based on the cheap 3D glasses you know from the movie theatre.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1403851665
I was seriously considering going big with the 79" x900b, but for an extra 1k the 4k oled is too tempting to not wait it out, and see if it lives up to the hype without too many issues. I also want to see what cp's price is going to be as well. I've got 3 sierra 2's, and an lv12r on the way. The 4k oled will be out about the same time as the denon x4100. Then I will probably add 4 sierra one's for heights. I can't put in ceiling speakers in an apartment so will probably have to use telescoping stands for the 1's that won't be able to be angled toward the listening position, but a 65" 4k oled surrounded by a sierra based atmos setup could by quite the little home theater. The first legal pot shops will be opening in a couple weeks, Too bad the stuff makes me paranoid, cause if it didn't it would be the perfect way to enjoy this little home theater.
post #741 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Oops, you are right about the currency conversion error. I used an online converter which is wrong.

So I will probably get the Sony 950B now
It probably won't take long for it to come down to 8k or lower, and as late as we are getting in the year there's no reason to not wait it out and see.
post #742 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
OLED still has its bucket of problems that you will want to look out for too. Top one are Color fading, which can also affect calibrations, potential of IR, and also how LG decided to drive their Panels for motion. They use a Sample and Hold method, so your motion resolution will be lower and you will notice some blurring during fast movement.

Now this is not to say that a 4K OLED is not going to possible be the best picture out there. OLED still has the potential of being the best option for TV technology for awhile, but its not perfect. I personally wouldn't buy an OLED until they have solved the color fading issue, and show me they can create one with perfect motion resolution (Plus I don't like curved screens)

Im am eager for more X950B to get out in the wild so we have a bigger sample size to see how prevalent these issues are. Also cant wait for some professional reviews of this TV, as this might be our best option out for a 4k LCD (minus the Vizio R-series, if it ever does come out)

Theater Room: 65ZT60, Denon 2313CI, Oppo 103D, Apple TV, Logitech Harmony Ultimate
Bedroom: 65VT50, Sony S790, Harmony Smart Control
Game Room: Upcoming Purchases - 4K TV (Sony 65X950B or Reference Series Vizio, Sony FMP-X10) Already Have - OPPO 103D, Harmony Ultimate, Apple TV, 24 gaming systems ready to be hooked up.
post #743 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 AM

I've got to hand it to Sony or Best Buy on the handling and manufacturing of these sets. Either Best Buy has the worst track record on handling these sets, Sony has low QC, or I'm going crazy.

First 2 sets damaged by Best Buy and reluctantly replaced. Second two delivered and one had bad banding and dead pixels. The other has debris under the backlight and some issue with the polarization filter allowing light to escape the otherwise black panel as evidenced in these pics. If you walk up to the tv you cannot see it when standing eye level above the top bezel. Sit at eye level or lower and you see it more and more. I'm having Best Buy pick these sets up and will call Sony if I get time to let them know about this. But at $8,000 a pop, I'm really unimpressed with both companies handling of the matter.

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg
post #744 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 07:00 AM

Liked: 34
Quote:

Where did you hear that it will not be wall mountable? from what I've read the new Full HD set will be, so I'm thinking the 4k ones will be as well.
post #745 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by remush View Post
Where did you hear that it will not be wall mountable? from what I've read the new Full HD set will be, so I'm thinking the 4k ones will be as well.
Current LG OLED units are so thin and built with seamless carbon fiber design that they are identified as not wall mountable. However, I wouldn't put it past someone finding a way to do it.

As light as they are you'd think they'd find a way to hang like my ultra-slim mount for my Samsung that works great. As these become mainstream then someone will make money on it - just the nature of the business to fill a vacuum and someone get rich off it and LG in the near future will have a monopoly with China and Sony/Panasonic continues to talk with them as a supplier.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #746 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
They've got like a 20% VAT over there, so you can chop that right off the price. Not to mention the pricing is never 1:1. I stand by my $7.5-8k estimate.
post #747 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 AM

Being curved, I just "assumed" that they would not be wall mountable.
However, the 2014 curved TV's might be wall mountable.

You May Not Be Able to Mount Your Curved TV on a Wall: OK, so the big advantage of LED/LCD and OLED TVs is that they are so thin, you can mount them on a wall - well, not always. The first generation LG and Samsung OLED TVs cannot be wall mounted, but it looks like (if the displays at the 2014 CES are any indication), some of the next generation sets of various sizes may be wall mountable, including some of the bendable or flexible types.
post #748 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 07:56 AM

Liked: 34
This part of the article suggests that the new set will be wall mountable but does not say anything about VESA mount compatibility. Guess well see soon enough.

"The EC9300 is as thin as a pencil, 3D, and wall-mountable (despite its curve). LG also claims that they've found a way to increase brightness even further, enhancing the already-massive contrast. While we won't know that for sure until we get it into the lab, consumers are welcome to try it for themselves: The 55EC9300 will hit the market any day now."

Source
post #749 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranster View Post
I was seriously considering going big with the 79" x900b, but for an extra 1k the 4k oled is too tempting to not wait it out, and see if it lives up to the hype without too many issues. I also want to see what cp's price is going to be as well. I've got 3 sierra 2's, and an lv12r on the way. The 4k oled will be out about the same time as the denon x4100. Then I will probably add 4 sierra one's for heights. I can't put in ceiling speakers in an apartment so will probably have to use telescoping stands for the 1's that won't be able to be angled toward the listening position, but a 65" 4k oled surrounded by a sierra based atmos setup could by quite the little home theater. The first legal pot shops will be opening in a couple weeks, Too bad the stuff makes me paranoid, cause if it didn't it would be the perfect way to enjoy this little home theater.
Well, comparing a 65" with a 79" is kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Huge difference in size...especially with size playing such a critical role in 4K enjoyment.
post #750 of 1186 Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilife17 View Post
OLED still has its bucket of problems that you will want to look out for too. Top one are Color fading, which can also affect calibrations, potential of IR, and also how LG decided to drive their Panels for motion. They use a Sample and Hold method, so your motion resolution will be lower and you will notice some blurring during fast movement.

Now this is not to say that a 4K OLED is not going to possible be the best picture out there. OLED still has the potential of being the best option for TV technology for awhile, but its not perfect. I personally wouldn't buy an OLED until they have solved the color fading issue, and show me they can create one with perfect motion resolution (Plus I don't like curved screens)

Im am eager for more X950B to get out in the wild so we have a bigger sample size to see how prevalent these issues are. Also cant wait for some professional reviews of this TV, as this might be our best option out for a 4k LCD (minus the Vizio R-series, if it ever does come out)
Not sure I'd be concerned about color fading, but I would about IR. I've been hanging out in the LG threads since I'm considering the 77" 4K OLED if the street pricing turns out to be sane. Those guys really do have some IR issues that a potential buyer has to be aware of and be willing to deal with. Some go through hours of screen 'cleaning' after each LB movie. No way that my wife would ever do that. So I'd need a high level of 'supervision' with this display. I'd be willing to do it, but it's something that anyone considering this tech needs to understand.

Now this morning, there was this, that is of some concern to me regarding the 77" OLED:
"LG did in fact show a small clip from The Hobbit during its demo reel, but we had concerns over just how effective its upscaling technology will be in the final product. Bilbo's face had messy alternating patches of smooth skin and detailed stubble and we noticed lots of blocking and noise as he scrambled over mountains of coins in Smaug's cave. Still, we'll have to wait until we get our hands on a final review sample before we can deliver a final verdict."
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page