post #811 of 1309 Old 07-01-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post
Here are my X950B observations. I think this is an excellent UHD TV!

Cons:[*]Impulse mode is NOT available in Game or Graphics mode! [*]Scaling of 1080p to 2160p is mediocre for graphics, even in Game or Graphics mode :
  • Chroma subsampling artifacts - color bleed between boardering pixels with moderate or above chromatic difference.
  • Ringing artifacts (tried turning all settings off and adjusting sharpness to no avail)
  • No pixel resize scaling option (1080p 1x1 to 2x2 or 720p 1x1 to 3x3
    1. Panasonic's UHD LCDs have a "1080p pixel by 4pixels" setting that could be great for computer and gaming usage. Sadly no such option is available on Sony UHDs, and it's unclear if Panasonics scaling feature can apply to 720p sources.
[*]Noticeable overdrive trailing with graphics on flat colors[*]HDMI 2.0 not fully supported. This is stated in Sony's specifications, so not really an observation per-say. This does remind me of the model year 1080p panels were first available where the input resolution maxed out at 1080i... [/LIST]Given these my particular cons I don't think the X950B is a good fit for me. I'm considering the following models/series when they become availabe later this year:

LG 65EC9800 (-curved; -Likely >50ms inpug lag; +OLED!)
Panasonic AX900 series (-IPS panel/black level; +Might have WCG LEDs; ++1080p pixel by 4pixels!)
Toshiba L9400 series (???)

If I only used a TV for cable and blu-ray, I think I'd still consider the 65X950B. Its certainly the best looking 2014 UHD LCD to date!
Could you tell us your technical resume/expertise that you arrived at these Cons as being FACTS that matter - throwing out jibberish without credentials that support them leaves me scratching my head wondering if you know what your talking about or is it just jibberish as your using terms rarely used here unless your an ISFr or Mensa grade AV Master - those are usually found over in the video processing threads. Not trying to be a wise guy just trying to determine if you have science to backup your alleged findings that make them credible.

Were you examining the pixel structure with a magnification process to see these alleged failings or using instruments of the trade or just your eyeballs? My point is these threads are littered with OCD enthusiasts that seem to run 180 degrees opposite of Joe/Jane consumers that eyeball their happiness and do you think there's a reason why Game Mode locks out certain theatrical enhancements as the production process is very different. I have a Masters in IT and other degree's and an long term AV enthusiast here for over 7 years but no AV expert and your using terms rarely seen here usually reserved for Video Processing threads where mensa techs seem to reside.

My only point as this is not meant to attack but it's becoming impossible to figure out if the 950B is great or worthy of these prices when this thread gets littered with alleged shortcomings/cons and we have no idea of the credentials of the poster support the extensive list of "CONS" yet you identify it as the best UHD TV of 2014 to-date. Panasonic is having it's own issues with it's latest 4K with reported serious banding issues by new owners.

Thank you for your input but damn it's becoming impossible to figure out if the 950B is worthwhile after all the negatives viewed in this thread.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; 07-01-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1309 Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Bummer, the quality control with what should be an excellent high end product is a shame. I just watched a 950 in a dim room with 4K and I thought it looked amazing. The depth of the picture and black level was excellent. I still do not think the Panasonic will come close to the Sony. Good luck with what ever you end up with. Be careful with a Best Buys, they have limited returns/exchanges and then you could be stuck with a defective set.
I agree with you, the depth was good, and that the quality control stunk. Sony Customer service was even worse. Hence the reason I'm pleased to part ways after the experiences. I'm not really locked into anything yet, because now I have to start over again it seems. But thank you for the well wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
Ha ha ha... sorry, I just have to laugh. I bought a Panasonic AX800 TV and it arrived June 13th with an obvious cracked screen. Here it is, almost 3 weeks later, and I still have the huge box sitting in my front hallway. I eventually cancelled my order because there is only a 30 day return window and the replacement was going to come in after that. I almost wonder if they time it like this just so you can only return one.

That really stinks. But that is also physical damage. Same could have happened with a Sony. The delivery guys that picked my two sets up this morning for refund said they have seen a lot of Sony televisions being returned. Thought that was interesting. Where did you buy your set from. Best buy took forever to get things scheduled on deliveries with these sets. But it is a chapter closing now and you live and you learn. Sometimes you have a company turn a sour experience into a great one. Other times you just have to wash your hands of it and move on. I'm at the point I just find this stuff humorous now because life is too short to waste time on a TV set. Sony kind of shot themselves in the foot with the TV being at this price point and then delivering with this level of quality control.
post #813 of 1309 Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Thank you for your input but damn it's becoming impossible to figure out if the 950B is worthwhile after all the negatives viewed in this thread.

I haven't read any severe negatives for this set in this thread, including my observations. I play around with external scalers, so my seemingly complex terminology stems from experience identifying artifacts of various scalers. PM me if you need references.

The main issue with the X950B is that it doesn't make a good computer monitor for two main reasons:
1. The scaling of 1080p sources cannot accurately preserve the source image (e.g. 4:4:4 1080p60 is scaled up to what appears to be a 4:2:0 2160p60). Panasonic provides a 1080p to 4 2160p option, but Sony does not for reasons unknown. AVS user imagic has confirmed on the AX800 thread that this works as described, and would imagine the AX900 will have it as well.
2. This set does not provide any means to feed a full color resolution (4:4:4) 2160p signal at 60Hz. Panasonic has been the only manufacturer to provide a DisplayPort input as an alternative to HDMI, as the IC manufacturers apparently did not have 18Gbps capable HDMI Tx/Rx solutions available in the planning stages for 2014 model year UHDTVs.

It is unclear as to whether or not Sony can address either of these items in future FW updates.

BFI (what Sony coined as "Impulse" mode) is not an application specific mode. Impulse was the ONLY MotionFlow option in game & graphics scene select modes in the 2013 W900A. Additionally, gaming oriented computer monitors such as the Eizo FG2421 provide a BFI option called "Turbo 240". The Eizo FG2421 happens to be my main computer monitor as well!

You should really check out this model in person and form your own take on it!
post #814 of 1309 Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
At the price point of the 950 for MSRP and the level of QC I've witnessed, it's a crapshoot of sorts. Some people have had good luck, others, not so much.

Try it out if you are able to and make your own formulations. But in my experiences, as I posted to another member above, I think it isn't the full featured set they are promising. The chipset in the Panasonic AX900 is one thing that has me very intrigued at this point.
post #815 of 1309 Old 07-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post
I haven't read any severe negatives for this set in this thread, including my observations. I play around with external scalers, so my seemingly complex terminology stems from experience identifying artifacts of various scalers. PM me if you need references.

The main issue with the X950B is that it doesn't make a good computer monitor for two main reasons:
1. The scaling of 1080p sources cannot accurately preserve the source image (e.g. 4:4:4 1080p60 is scaled up to what appears to be a 4:2:0 2160p60). Panasonic provides a 1080p to 4 2160p option, but Sony does not for reasons unknown. AVS user imagic has confirmed on the AX800 thread that this works as described, and would imagine the AX900 will have it as well.
2. This set does not provide any means to feed a full color resolution (4:4:4) 2160p signal at 60Hz. Panasonic has been the only manufacturer to provide a DisplayPort input as an alternative to HDMI, as the IC manufacturers apparently did not have 18Gbps capable HDMI Tx/Rx solutions available in the planning stages for 2014 model year UHDTVs.

It is unclear as to whether or not Sony can address either of these items in future FW updates.

BFI (what Sony coined as "Impulse" mode) is not an application specific mode. Impulse was the ONLY MotionFlow option in game & graphics scene select modes in the 2013 W900A. Additionally, gaming oriented computer monitors such as the Eizo FG2421 provide a BFI option called "Turbo 240". The Eizo FG2421 happens to be my main computer monitor as well!

You should really check out this model in person and form your own take on it!
I for one GREATLY appreciate your input. I may not fully understand everything you are presenting but it is through posts such as yours that I push the limits of my knowledge and extend those limits. Thank you for taking the time to share your findings.
post #816 of 1309 Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 646
post #817 of 1309 Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Why would they not be ?
My point is, aren't the BB extended warranties not actually from Best Buy? meaning does the revenue go to them? or to company X?
post #818 of 1309 Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeneize12 View Post
My point is, aren't the BB extended warranties not actually from Best Buy? meaning does the revenue go to them? or to company X?
You deal strictly with Best Buy with their warranties. Geek Squad either fixes it or they give you another TV. Expensive but not third party.

I've purchased both third party (amazon TV) and BBY warranties.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #819 of 1309 Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Just know with any warranty, you will have to prove your case. Some are better than others. Best buy argued with me when I used to buy through them on the old Xbox 360. Obviously defective and wouldn't run, and they wanted to argue and not honor it.

And there are cheaper warranties than BB as well.
post #820 of 1309 Old 07-02-2014, 07:28 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
Just know with any warranty, you will have to prove your case. Some are better than others. Best buy argued with me when I used to buy through them on the old Xbox 360. Obviously defective and wouldn't run, and they wanted to argue and not honor it.

And there are cheaper warranties than BB as well.
Sorry noob question, I bought the TV from Best Buy, can I buy a warranty from a different store?
post #821 of 1309 Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 AM

I've heard of Costco members being able to buy them. I'm a Amex card holder though and I used that as it automatically adds another year of warranty. It's just easier for me and it's passive. Amex has great service so I trust them.
post #822 of 1309 Old 07-02-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A couple of quick observations...

My power was just restored at 1AM CST last night, I was in the middle of an attempted calibration with an i1Pro and Calman 5 when the power went out Monday night around 7PM CST. I have not had a chance to finish turning back on any of the special motion or picture functions that were all disabled for the calibration. I was in the middle of taking final readings when the power died, so I don't have a report. The power flickered twice Monday night and I decided to unplug the set as I know how my luck is. Luckily the TV survived the power going out twice.

I do have some minor backlight bleeding from the bottom left corner of the set. Reminds me of a couple cheap LCD monitors I had where there was a small triangle of light coming through the bottom corner. It isn't really noticable during normal content. There is some minor on the rest of the set, but not as noticable as the bottom left corner on a black screen.

I do notice some uniformity issues when a 75% grey screen from the AVS 709 disc is displayed. It appears the top section is darker than the rest of the screen. It is not uniform, not a straight line going across or anything. Again, I need to go back though and verify this again. When sitting in a dark room running through a calibration, your eyes do some crazy things.

The thing which I need to verify is that I still seem to have the same streaking problem that I had with the 65X900B, unfortunately during watching World Cup. I need to put up some full screen white, grey and black images and determine how bad the set is. I watched some TiVo'd playoff hockey, and couldn't see the streaking as I did on the 900B, but I need to try FIFA and NBA 2K14 on the PS4 and see if I notice it. I did get to audition a 78" HU9000 last night with the World Cup replay (they had power, I didn't) and I did not notice any streaking / banding, but man is the picture noisy / grainy out of the box. I hesitate to call this banding on the 900B / 950B, because I don't see Alternating Light and dark bars like on test patterns, on full Red, Green, or Blue screens. Again, another thing I have to test again.

This is a replacement for a 65X900B and was purchased locally. I decided to move up to the 950B after being unhappy with some of these same and worse issues on the 900B. The blacks are definitely better on this screen and gets me closer to the picture of my Pioneer KRP-600M. I also like the look of the panel without the speakers, which I was not using. I will say the 900B sounds 100X better than the 950B. Is the 950B worth ~ $2500 more? Well that is up to the individual. I will say that I was expecting no streaking / banding, but I should have known better after reading through this thread. I don't plan on buying another TV for another 5-6 years, so I am willing to invest in the 950B, plus I financed the difference at 0%, so that made the decision easier.

The crew that brought out the 950B did one thing that kind of made me cringe. They put the TV on it's side when putting the legs on. Do I think this affected the uniformity issues I have talked about above? No. Would I let them do that again? NO. I would tell them to slow down and follow the instructions.

I may play the panel lottery and get an exchange. I don't think the retailer will give me any hassle based on the cost of the set, but I don't expect them to exchange out 10 of these sets until I find one that is OK. I'll try to update tomorrow evening as I am out of town tonight until tomorrow.

So much for my quick observations...LOL...Hopefully this helps some people out there...

Y2J
timc1475 likes this.
post #823 of 1309 Old 07-02-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Sorry noob question, I bought the TV from Best Buy, can I buy a warranty from a different store?
yes, Mack warranties are available on any tv, bought anywhere as long as the unit has 90 days left on the warranty or more......
post #824 of 1309 Old 07-02-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
There was a new firmware update offered tonight. It installed in a few minutes with no problems.

Bob
post #825 of 1309 Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
A couple of quick observations...

My power was just restored at 1AM CST last night, I was in the middle of an attempted calibration with an i1Pro and Calman 5 when the power went out Monday night around 7PM CST. I have not had a chance to finish turning back on any of the special motion or picture functions that were all disabled for the calibration. I was in the middle of taking final readings when the power died, so I don't have a report. The power flickered twice Monday night and I decided to unplug the set as I know how my luck is. Luckily the TV survived the power going out twice.

I do have some minor backlight bleeding from the bottom left corner of the set. Reminds me of a couple cheap LCD monitors I had where there was a small triangle of light coming through the bottom corner. It isn't really noticable during normal content. There is some minor on the rest of the set, but not as noticable as the bottom left corner on a black screen.

I do notice some uniformity issues when a 75% grey screen from the AVS 709 disc is displayed. It appears the top section is darker than the rest of the screen. It is not uniform, not a straight line going across or anything. Again, I need to go back though and verify this again. When sitting in a dark room running through a calibration, your eyes do some crazy things.

The thing which I need to verify is that I still seem to have the same streaking problem that I had with the 65X900B, unfortunately during watching World Cup. I need to put up some full screen white, grey and black images and determine how bad the set is. I watched some TiVo'd playoff hockey, and couldn't see the streaking as I did on the 900B, but I need to try FIFA and NBA 2K14 on the PS4 and see if I notice it. I did get to audition a 78" HU9000 last night with the World Cup replay (they had power, I didn't) and I did not notice any streaking / banding, but man is the picture noisy / grainy out of the box. I hesitate to call this banding on the 900B / 950B, because I don't see Alternating Light and dark bars like on test patterns, on full Red, Green, or Blue screens. Again, another thing I have to test again.

This is a replacement for a 65X900B and was purchased locally. I decided to move up to the 950B after being unhappy with some of these same and worse issues on the 900B. The blacks are definitely better on this screen and gets me closer to the picture of my Pioneer KRP-600M. I also like the look of the panel without the speakers, which I was not using. I will say the 900B sounds 100X better than the 950B. Is the 950B worth ~ $2500 more? Well that is up to the individual. I will say that I was expecting no streaking / banding, but I should have known better after reading through this thread. I don't plan on buying another TV for another 5-6 years, so I am willing to invest in the 950B, plus I financed the difference at 0%, so that made the decision easier.

The crew that brought out the 950B did one thing that kind of made me cringe. They put the TV on it's side when putting the legs on. Do I think this affected the uniformity issues I have talked about above? No. Would I let them do that again? NO. I would tell them to slow down and follow the instructions.

I may play the panel lottery and get an exchange. I don't think the retailer will give me any hassle based on the cost of the set, but I don't expect them to exchange out 10 of these sets until I find one that is OK. I'll try to update tomorrow evening as I am out of town tonight until tomorrow.

So much for my quick observations...LOL...Hopefully this helps some people out there...

Y2J
I believe every single 900B and 950B has banding. The question is, can you see it during content? Even with their faults (every tv has them). The 900b and 950b are the best 4K sets and by a large margin.

The streaking in my opinion is just light uniformity. At a certain grey scale when the local dimming goes off you can see it. No big deal, it is nothing like the banding that is always there in content . I just watched some 1080p 4K off YouTube and loved every minute of it. Look up Las Vegas in 4k on YouTube (it plays in 1080P), turn off the lights and enjoy some incredible contrast and black levels.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-03-2014 at 12:40 AM.
post #826 of 1309 Old 07-03-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I believe every single 900B and 950B has banding. The question is, can you see it during content?
Don't forget that every LED made has this same issue
post #827 of 1309 Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Don't forget that every LED made has this same issue
My counterpoint would be akin to the tree in the forest falling scenario from psych 101.

I've owned and viewed them over ten years and never noticed any banding on my Sharps,(didn't own the known flawed series Sharps) Sony, Samsungs and if I don't see it in real life content it doesn't exist though technically it's likely there and I know it I'm not going to obsess trying locate it for fear once I pinpoint it there is ZERO benefit to obsess forward when I hate plasma and it's dead as Michael Jackson.

Some banding can be caused by the HD codec used in film (forget what it's called) as Planet Earth is littered with it and seen on all panels regardless of type and in my early days of store auditions I could see panning bands but understood the TV was sharing signal with 50 other TV's but never saw those events in my HT.

I bought thousands of LCD's on my network and for fun when we had rare failures we'd tear them down to ID common points of failure it was quite interesting to separate the layers and how it does it's magic even on a cheap $150 LCD or one in the thousands$$$.

The problem here is some members will obsess to find the Bands and of course once seen it becomes time for divorce - the grass is always greener on this forum and to a casual viewer wanting to enjoy CONTENT without using magnification pinpoint non-content voids/flaws is unreal vs. Content where it may not be visible at all or the rest of us blind mice are supposedly inferior to them?

Can't wait to check out the 65" 4K OLED and I won't obsess for things to destroy near perfection - though one can bet they will be noted here. Judge your choice by what you can see in CONTENT instead of what others are telling you to see folks. Considering DisplaySearch estimates that 110 MILLION large LCD/LED's will sold globally in 2014 and plasma is gone we don't have many other choices and we all can't be blind/stupid globally can we?

Below is an interesting dissection of LED/LCD's by CNET.

http://www.cnet.com/news/is-lcd-and-...ity-a-problem/

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; 07-03-2014 at 10:01 AM.
post #828 of 1309 Old 07-03-2014, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
My counterpoint would be akin to the tree in the forest falling scenario from psych 101.

I've owned and viewed them over ten years and never noticed any banding on my Sharps,(didn't own the known flawed series Sharps) Sony, Samsungs and if I don't see it in real life content it doesn't exist though technically it's likely there and I know it I'm not going to obsess trying locate it for fear once I pinpoint it there is ZERO benefit to obsess forward when I hate plasma and it's dead as Michael Jackson.

Some banding can be caused by the HD codec used in film (forget what it's called) as Planet Earth is littered with it and seen on all panels regardless of type and in my early days of store auditions I could see panning bands but understood the TV was sharing signal with 50 other TV's but never saw those events in my HT.

I bought thousands of LCD's on my network and for fun when we had rare failures we'd tear them down to ID common points of failure it was quite interesting to separate the layers and how it does it's magic even on a cheap $150 LCD or one in the thousands$$$.

The problem here is some members will obsess to find the Bands and of course once seen it becomes time for divorce - the grass is always greener on this forum and to a casual viewer wanting to enjoy CONTENT without using magnification pinpoint non-content voids/flaws is unreal vs. Content where it may not be visible at all or the rest of us blind mice are supposedly inferior to them?

Can't wait to check out the 65" 4K OLED and I won't obsess for things to destroy near perfection - though one can bet they will be noted here. Judge your choice by what you can see in CONTENT instead of what others are telling you to see folks. Considering DisplaySearch estimates that 110 MILLION large LCD/LED's will sold globally in 2014 and plasma is gone we don't have many other choices and we all can't be blind/stupid globally can we?

Below is an interesting dissection of LED/LCD's by CNET.

http://www.cnet.com/news/is-lcd-and-...ity-a-problem/
Every LCD has some form of banding. I have 4 LCD screens in my home right now and they all have banding, but 1 out 4 has it to the point that it is distracting. I do look for it though. My reason is that if I spend 2-5k on a new TV, I am going to check it out in depth to ensure it does not have issues that would impact my enjoyment of the set. With return policies being so narrow these days, I don't want to discover an issue later and be stuck.

I have a pretty stringent testing method to look for issues. Again, I see banding on all of my LCD sets, but one is pretty bad and I see the banding all the time. While I see banding on my other sets, I only see it if I look and focus really hard, but in no way do they "jump out on me" as they do on my 4th LCD.

I think people need to understand that this is part of the tech that goes with LCD, but I also believe that people should check things out and that even means looking for potential issues. If the issue is found, it becomes more a question if it something the person wants to deal with or not.

-Hawkmoon
post #829 of 1309 Old 07-03-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I sent my 70w850b back because of what I call "Radial Banding". You can see several pictures of it on the 70w850b thread here at AVS Forum. Basically when you have a solid color, like a baseball field or a golf course or a blue sky or an ice rink there is a large 3 ring target shaped object in the middle of the screen. Horribly distracting. Many owners having this issue. It was not there in my 70r550a or my 65w850a.
post #830 of 1309 Old 07-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Every LCD has some form of banding. I have 4 LCD screens in my home right now and they all have banding, but 1 out 4 has it to the point that it is distracting. I do look for it though. My reason is that if I spend 2-5k on a new TV, I am going to check it out in depth to ensure it does not have issues that would impact my enjoyment of the set. With return policies being so narrow these days, I don't want to discover an issue later and be stuck.

I have a pretty stringent testing method to look for issues. Again, I see banding on all of my LCD sets, but one is pretty bad and I see the banding all the time. While I see banding on my other sets, I only see it if I look and focus really hard, but in no way do they "jump out on me" as they do on my 4th LCD.

I think people need to understand that this is part of the tech that goes with LCD, but I also believe that people should check things out and that even means looking for potential issues. If the issue is found, it becomes more a question if it something the person wants to deal with or not.
Curious, how do you test for Banding?
post #831 of 1309 Old 07-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Curious, how do you test for Banding?
I have certain youtube clips, certain movies, certain games etc that I use to test for it. I also use full screen/full color screens to look for it. On most of my sets I can see it on full grey screen, but in motion I don't see it as much on 3 out 4 sets. I use certain movies, games etc, whenever I get a new TV to test stuff out, just like a lot of people use certain movies to test black level's etc. Nothing scientific or anything, just certain things that I know that when in motion if it has distracting bands or not.
Xeneize12 likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #832 of 1309 Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Which movies, if you don't mind disclosing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #833 of 1309 Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'm interested in replacing my w900a (moved to another room) with this set and the only thing holding me back is the unknown input lag. My w900a is very good with input lag and I defiantly don't want to get a set that's much worse in this category. Does anyone have any experience with console gaming on this set? Will this TV be an overall improvement over what I currently have now? I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

2 Definitive Technology ST-L Fronts, CS-8080HD center channel, Gem XL rears, SuperCube 8000 subwoofer, Marantz SR-7008 , and Sony KDL-55w900a
post #834 of 1309 Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Gamers

How many Gamers, get Married, then soon after the wife gives up and wants out?
Would you take your Sony over the wife at this point?
How many Gamers, marry other Gamers then have to set up a schedule as to who gets to play when? Will this marriage last?
If you have 2 TVs in this case, who gets the New set?
post #835 of 1309 Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaduxx View Post
I'm interested in replacing my w900a (moved to another room) with this set and the only thing holding me back is the unknown input lag. My w900a is very good with input lag and I defiantly don't want to get a set that's much worse in this category. Does anyone have any experience with console gaming on this set? Will this TV be an overall improvement over what I currently have now? I appreciate any help you guys can give me.
I will let you know next week.
post #836 of 1309 Old 07-04-2014, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaduxx View Post
I've read it has the same as the x900a.
post #837 of 1309 Old 07-04-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
How many Gamers, get Married, then soon after the wife gives up and wants out?
Would you take your Sony over the wife at this point?
How many Gamers, marry other Gamers then have to set up a schedule as to who gets to play when? Will this marriage last?
If you have 2 TVs in this case, who gets the New set?
I buy two of the same television sets at the same time in the same size for living room and bedroom. I also have two PS4s and Xbox ones. Problem solved.

It was also agreed after the numerous issues with the two 950B sets and hearing how Sony customer service was, that both TVs get returned. So, another point of agreement and now a new search is on again for a new set.

Now you can't beat that
post #838 of 1309 Old 07-04-2014, 06:53 AM

I was just thinking, and hoping someone can confirm this...

My 65X950B hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I was wondering if I hook up a PS4 or Xbox1 will games be limited to 30fps?

In my setup I have everything connected to a Pioneer SC-35 which isn't 4k.

Would I need to upgrade to an HDMI 2.0 AV?

If anyone can shed some light on limitations to expect with consoles and this TV would be greatly appreciated, my goal is of course to have the full experience as intended from a console source.
post #839 of 1309 Old 07-04-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
I buy two of the same television sets at the same time in the same size for living room and bedroom. I also have two PS4s and Xbox ones. Problem solved.

It was also agreed after the numerous issues with the two 950B sets and hearing how Sony customer service was, that both TVs get returned. So, another point of agreement and now a new search is on again for a new set.

Now you can't beat that
Sorry for your unfortunate issues with the set, but if I may ask did you get a chance to try your xbox or ps4 on these sets before you returned them?
post #840 of 1309 Old 07-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I've read it has the same as the x900a.
That would be great if it is, do you know where you read that? I have been researching the internet and have read that it should be similar to the other sony 4k sets that have 40 ms lag input times.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - X950B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page