post #931 of 1296 Old 07-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
This is what I was thinking, but I'm not sure the retailer would be OK with this.
What about purchasing the 2nd 900B from a different retailer. So if you return both the 900B and current 950B it's a single return for 1 retailer and an exchange for the other retailer.

Just hope they don't talk to each other.
tubetwister and Vegas oled like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1296 Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 548
With LED you have to accept there are always issues. You might have had a bad panel with your 1st 900B, don't get to caught up on uniformity when the local dimming is off. IMO anyone who is spending $8k on a 65950 should go for the 79" 900B and really get immersed in 4K. I just do not think the 950 is much better than the 900B. I also love the speakers on the 900B.

I am a 4K convert. I went from laughing at people who purchased 4K sets to my new opinion, the Bigger the Better.
whasaaaab and tubetwister like this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-08-2014 at 04:08 PM.
post #933 of 1296 Old 07-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
With LED you have to accept there are always issues. You might have had a bad panel with your 1st 900B, don't get to caught up on uniformity when the local dimming is off. IMO anyone who is spending $8k on a 65950 should go for the 79" 900B and really get immersed in 4K. I just do not think the 950 is much better than the 900B. I also love the speakers on the 900B.

I am a 4K convert. I went from laughing at people who purchased 4K sets to my new opinion, the Bigger the Better.
I was considering the 79x900b instead of the 950b, I just don't have much faith in a lg ips panel in the dark.
I was going back and forth for a while but for the 79 I would loose my 92 inch projector setup and I love my hw50es it's been my favourite purchases over the years.

Last edited by Adamd; 07-08-2014 at 04:44 PM.
post #934 of 1296 Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I am currently running my cable (TWC), XBOX 1, and Xbox360 all through my Denon 1912 which in turn is feeding my xbr65950b through a single HDMI cable (1.4 "high speed" mono price).

Am I costing myself any quality by doing this? Should i be running all my sources directly into the TV and just run a Optical audio back to the Denon?

Also, anyone feel like HDMI cables need/should be replaced at a specific time?

thanks y'all,

Jon Wan
post #935 of 1296 Old 07-08-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
This is going to be a long post, forgive me, but I have been asked to give my impressions several times. At this point it is kind of hard for me to compare the 900B that I had almost 2 weeks ago. I will do my best to compare the KRP-600M / 900B / 950B

General Summary of my Situation...

Had 3 TV's in the house. Pioneer KRP-600M Plasma, Panasonic TH-50PZ800U Plasma, and an older Sony KDL-40XBR2 LCD. I needed a TV for the kids room, so I decided to move the Sony into the kids room and but the Panny in the bedroom and the Pioneer in the Living Room and get a 65" 4K for the man cave / media room. All signs pointed to the 65X900B as being the choice for me, despite the speakers that I didn't need.

I got a great price on the 65X900B and had it delivered June 14th. I immediately noticed some issues with the picture as compared to the plasma. There was alot of blooming, noticable backlight bleeding, bleeding from the Edge lighting.

I definitely could tell the panel was Edge-lit with Local Dimming. The dark areas just didn't get as dark as the plasmas and there was noticable blooming from the picture into the black bars on Blu-ray titles with them.

I had backlight bleeding from two of the corners, it was noticable in content, even with the local dimming, especially with movies with black boxes.

There was noticable grey screen uniformity issues. This was immediately apparent with World Cup programming. The Sony 4K Blue Angels video showed this as well. I also noticed it while playing NBA 2K14 and FIFA. I initially was calling this banding, but I think it was just grey uniformity issues, which seems to be a problem on all LCD's, some show it worse than others. I will admite that I don't remember what setting the backlight was on during this testing, but it was at least on Cinema 1 mode, I know that much.

I wasn't super happy with the Comcast TiVo picture or DirecTV HD programming, but I didn't test a huge amount.

In general, some content looked great, and others made me running up to the living room to try and compare with the Pioneer plasma.

The issues above seemed to rear the ugly head during 4K content as well, which really drove me nuts. I started watching Captain Phillips in 4K from the FMP-X1 and about 30 min in, I really started to notice the flaws I stated above. The movie has some very dark scenes and it became apparent that TV wasn't able to keep up. Blooming, Bleeding, backlight uniformity all were there.

At this point I got frustrated, but had to leave out of the town for the weekend. I setup an exhchange for another 900B. While I was gone I decided that maybe I should upgrade to the 950B if it will get me closer to the plasma picture I am used to and I get get a good enough price.

I switched from an exchange on the 900B to the 950B, before tax I paid a few hundred less than what Cleveland Plasma is offering. I would have purchased from them, but with my uncertainty I decided to eat the tax money for piece of mind. The 950B was delivered on June 28th. I didn't get alot of time to play with the 900B as I was out of town for a week in between the time I got the 900B and then decided to exchange.

Thoughts on the 950B

The TV has great black levels. It is pretty darn close to my Pioneer KRP-600M. It is kind of hard to compare the pictures though, as the Kuro was calibrated 4-5 years ago, and I haven't touched it since, but the picture definitely pops more on the Sony. Might be due to the brightness levels decreasing on the Pioneer, but I am pretty happy with the black levels.

There is still some blooming with big white text on a black screen, but it was significantly reduced when I lowered the backlight to 2 to put the light output to about 40 fTL. I don't find this to be an issue quite honestly, as it isn't noticable during normal content. I can accept this as a flaw of the LED LCD technology.

The screen uniformity issues during World Cup soccer in 720P on ABC is not as noticable on the 900B, but they are still there.

I was able to enjoy the rest of Captain Phillips and had no complaints with the blacks. The blacks were inky and showed no blooming or pixelization.

I do have backlight bleeding from the bottom left corner of the 950B, it is noticable on screens where the local dimming is not engaged, which is most of the apps and the menus and media players on the TV. Once you get into actual content and the local dimming is engaged, you don't see the bleeding.

I am pretty sure local dimming is disabled for all of the menu screens in the TV itself and the apps, until you get into actual content.

My concerns at this point:

1. I used the D-Nice slides and definitely see the screen uniformity issues on the grey slides. None of the colored slides show banding or uniformity issues. On a white screen, the top does appear a bit darker that the rest of the picture.

2. Thanks to Vegas Oled, I noticed the off-angle viewing issue. I honestly did not test for this with the 900B as I had no reason to. I have a love seat that is positioned right in front of the TV, which my wife and I always sit on. I have a single recliner about 90 degrees from the luv seat, and the picture definitely gets a bit washed out when you get further off angle. Keep in mind this is a pretty much completely dark room, I have cellular shades that are closed 98% of the time. I don't know that this is a deal breaker.

I am now trying to decide a few things.

I have seen some stellar reviews of the 900B, I am wondering to myself, did I get a lemon 900B to begin with?

Now I am trying to decide do I:

1. Keep the 950B I have.
2. Return it for another 950B and hope the uniformity issues are reduced.
3. Return the 950B and go back down to the 900B, save $2500 and not feel bad if I want to upgrade again in a year...
4. Wait for the mythical Panasonic AX900 and see if it is any better. Not really an option at this point. There is absolutely no info out there other than what was seen at CES.

Thanks guys,

Looking forward to your comments,

Y2J
I've had 5 different 950Bs in my house through my ordeal before I ended mine and eliminated sony from any future televisions purchases. Everything you said is spot on. Also, in a dark room you will see the back lights come through the back of the panel and light up the wall behind the TV set. The off angle viewing is poor, the camera on top is hideous (still see it folded back) and the variation and level of quality control on these sets is indicative of something mass produced and little thought put into Design of the components.

I wouldn't play anymore sony roulette. Step back and look on amazon and on here at how many people have had issues with Sony. Also have spoken with best buy and they have said they have had more sony television sets returned than ever. And if you'd like to seal the deal, call sony customer service. If that doesn't make you want to call it quits, I dunno what would. They almost insult you for having an issue. There's a lot of arrogance and it isn't even qualified. Let us know what you decide to do.
post #936 of 1296 Old 07-08-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^^^ Feel bad about some of you guys buying & returning set after set, and all the incovinience that comes with exchanging aswell. Not to mention the $$$$ spent on one too. I consider myself lucky I guess when I bought my set 2 years ago, never had the feeling or need to exchange for any reason. Still very happy with my purchase although it's not a LCD. I agree with you guys that if you spend that kind of money, the TV should perform extremely well or at least well enough.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #937 of 1296 Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
I've had 5 different 950Bs in my house through my ordeal before I ended mine and eliminated sony from any future televisions purchases. Everything you said is spot on. Also, in a dark room you will see the back lights come through the back of the panel and light up the wall behind the TV set. The off angle viewing is poor, the camera on top is hideous (still see it folded back) and the variation and level of quality control on these sets is indicative of something mass produced and little thought put into Design of the components.

I wouldn't play anymore sony roulette. Step back and look on amazon and on here at how many people have had issues with Sony. Also have spoken with best buy and they have said they have had more sony television sets returned than ever. And if you'd like to seal the deal, call sony customer service. If that doesn't make you want to call it quits, I dunno what would. They almost insult you for having an issue. There's a lot of arrogance and it isn't even qualified. Let us know what you decide to do.

This can happen with any company though, I went through 3 vt20 panasonics for banding, my sharp elite had bad dse and dead pixels. And have also gone through 3 x900a. I bet there is some very happy owners of the 950 as well. My 950 will show up Monday or Tuesday and I'm hopping I get a winner.
Carlos_E and tubetwister like this.
post #938 of 1296 Old 07-08-2014, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
This is what I was thinking, but I'm not sure the retailer would be OK with this.
I wonder if CAV / CP would have been so accommodating with all your exchanges / upgrades / downgrades had you purchased through him? The S & H would get expensive, or does the dealer pay that for you?

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.
post #939 of 1296 Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
What about purchasing the 2nd 900B from a different retailer. So if you return both the 900B and current 950B it's a single return for 1 retailer and an exchange for the other retailer.

Just hope they don't talk to each other.
You guys been hanging out with Vegas?

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.
post #940 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sony 65X900B

I was curious from people who own this TV which motion flow mode do you use? I am considering this set and was wondering with the motion flow clear mode is anyone getting judder or shaking of the background in the picture with slow camera pans side to side or up and down (especial on diagonal lines). Can happen with movies on cable or blu-ray. I believe it has something to do with the motion flow and 24p film rate and the TV processors ability to cope. One example of this is in Pacific Rim at time point of 26:55 to 27:05. In this scene people are walking and the background is juddering/shaking.

I am asking this because I have a Sony KDL65W850a which judders a lot in the clear mode. I like the clear mode because of the lack of the soap opera affect and the full resolution of 1080 on motion. I was wondering how this model does in the clear mode since it is one of the models I am considering replacing the 65W850A. Thanks.
post #941 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
I wonder if CAV / CP would have been so accommodating with all your exchanges / upgrades / downgrades had you purchased through him? The S & H would get expensive, or does the dealer pay that for you?
I'm pretty sure once you get a TV from them, it's yours and if something is wrong with it you get to take it up with the manufacturer via the warranty.
post #942 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Do we have any happy owners of a 950 here? All this talk of exchanges is making me anxious about next week. I got 3 x900a I have to return I think I'm intitled to a winner this time.
post #943 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I was curious from people who own this TV which motion flow mode do you use? I am considering this set and was wondering with the motion flow clear mode is anyone getting judder or shaking of the background in the picture with slow camera pans side to side or up and down (especial on diagonal lines). Can happen with movies on cable or blu-ray. I believe it has something to do with the motion flow and 24p film rate and the TV processors ability to cope. One example of this is in Pacific Rim at time point of 26:55 to 27:05. In this scene people are walking and the background is juddering/shaking.

I am asking this because I have a Sony KDL65W850a which judders a lot in the clear mode. I like the clear mode because of the lack of the soap opera affect and the full resolution of 1080 on motion. I was wondering how this model does in the clear mode since it is one of the models I am considering replacing the 65W850A. Thanks.
I have it either turned off or on true cinema...Usually off...
post #944 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
I talked to Chris about this and basically once we take delivery, unless the set has a crack in the screen or some form of shipping damage, the set is yours and you have to deal with Sony for replacements. My dealer has free local delivery and pickup, so I didn't have to pay for that, but of course I had to pay tax...
post #945 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
I have it either turned off or on true cinema...Usually off...
Do you see any judder on movies from cable or Bluray on slow camera pans side to side or up and down? Thanks.
post #946 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
Do you see any judder on movies from cable or Bluray on slow camera pans side to side or up and down? Thanks.
Not really, no. I think some of the other modes really induce the soap opera effect, which I hate.
post #947 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
While still waiting to hear from ANYONE on whether or not to run all my devices straight into the TV or just keep them going through my Denon 1912....I have another question...

Does anyone have any updated ideas on the calibration for this TV? I know there was some suggestions about 15 pages back or so, but thought there would be more pouring in.

thanks,

Jon Wan
post #948 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwan View Post
While still waiting to hear from ANYONE on whether or not to run all my devices straight into the TV or just keep them going through my Denon 1912....I have another question...

Does anyone have any updated ideas on the calibration for this TV? I know there was some suggestions about 15 pages back or so, but thought there would be more pouring in.

thanks,

Jon Wan
Going through the Denon should be fine...just make sure to disable the scaler inside the denon if your model has it.
post #949 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey All,

I have a X950b 65" I just purchased on Sunday. I am having an issue with the lip sync. I think it's mainly on 24p source content. Why is this happening? Is the TV defective?

I am coming from a plasma, is this an LCD thing?
post #950 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrium View Post
Hey All,

I have a X950b 65" I just purchased on Sunday. I am having an issue with the lip sync. I think it's mainly on 24p source content. Why is this happening? Is the TV defective?

What is the video source? Are you passing through receiver or processor or direct to the TV?
post #951 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
What is the video source? Are you passing through receiver or processor or direct to the TV?
PS4 is the source. (Vudu/Blu Ray, I don't notice it as much on Prime or netflix which is why I think 24p has something to do with it)

Going through Yahmaha RX-Z7. My old Panasonic did not have this issue so I don't think the delay is on the receiver's end.
post #952 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 PM

Oh and I just got off the phone with Sony...the guy said "Try Impulse Mode".

Not sure why I have to use a special motion mode just to get audio synced up.

Sad cause I love the TV other than the off angle viewing (which looks horrible because of how the white's bleed off angle). Still it has the best LCD contrast I have seen.
post #953 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Oh and I just got off the phone with Sony...the guy said "Try Impulse Mode".

Not sure why I have to use a special motion mode just to get audio synced up.

Sad cause I love the TV other than the off angle viewing (which looks horrible because of how the white's bleed off angle). Still it has the best LCD contrast I have seen.
Did you try it direct?
post #954 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hey All,

I was having lip sync issues with my WDLive TV, I had to turn the lip syncs setting off on the receiver and it was perfectly after. Try going direct to your TV like Y2JDMBFAN mentioned. I try to keep all my video sources going directly to the TV instead of through my receiver, especially when it comes to video game consoles (to prevent any added input lag).

My WDLive TV was going through my receiver to take advantage of the audio through the HDMI, my receiver doesn't have many optical inputs (Marantz SR-7008).

2 Definitive Technology ST-L Fronts, CS-8080HD center channel, Gem XL rears, SuperCube 8000 subwoofer, Marantz SR-7008 , and Sony KDL-55w900a
post #955 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Looks like impulse mode did resolve the issue. Luckily I am not that sensitive to the strobing effect.
post #956 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Maybe they still have the returned 900B.....

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #957 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Do we have any happy owners of a 950 here? All this talk of exchanges is making me anxious about next week. I got 3 x900a I have to return I think I'm intitled to a winner this time.
I've had the 950 for well over a month and am very happy with it. Very few of the problems that have been reported by others have I noticed in my viewing of this set while watching TV and bluray movies. This set replaces my previous 929 model which I was also happy with (except the 46 inch size) - which is why I upgraded to the 65 inch X950B.
brickyardz likes this.
post #958 of 1296 Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7eod View Post
I've had the 950 for well over a month and am very happy with it. Very few of the problems that have been reported by others have I noticed in my viewing of this set while watching TV and bluray movies. This set replaces my previous 929 model which I was also happy with (except the 46 inch size) - which is why I upgraded to the 65 inch X950B.
Well that's good to hear, how do you like the 950 vs your 929?
post #959 of 1296 Old 07-10-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Well that's good to hear, how do you like the 950 vs your 929?
The picture quality on both sets are excellent. However, the X950B does not have anywhere near the DES issues that the HX929 exhibits and blooming is less noticeable on the X950B as you can only spot it periodically when you are concentrating on finding some. I've found that if you are not looking for it, you'll rarely notice it. Both sets look similar in terms of overall set aesthetics which is to say very good - the 65X950B generally looks like a larger version of the 49HX929. I'm awaiting some consensus on settings (still using defaults) but so far have not seen much - probably due to a lack of owners.

Looking forward to the new Sony 4K Ultra HD Media Player, which I am hoping will be available shortly.
post #960 of 1296 Old 07-10-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7eod View Post
The picture quality on both sets are excellent. However, the X950B does not have anywhere near the DES issues that the HX929 exhibits and blooming is less noticeable on the X950B as you can only spot it periodically when you are concentrating on finding some. I've found that if you are not looking for it, you'll rarely notice it. Both sets look similar in terms of overall set aesthetics which is to say very good - the 65X950B generally looks like a larger version of the 49HX929. I'm awaiting some consensus on settings (still using defaults) but so far have not seen much - probably due to a lack of owners.

Looking forward to the new Sony 4K Ultra HD Media Player, which I am hoping will be available shortly.
I'm happy to hear that. Can you share some feedback on Banding and Blooming on the set? I keep hearing that about the 950B although I have not been able to spot it in the store.
Have you has a chance to hook up PS4/XB1 by any chance? how's gaming on the TV? any artifacting at all?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - X950B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page