Official Sony X950B Owner's thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 1147 Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I agree OLED is incredible. I am out voted on my house 3 to 1 on which is better the 900B or the OLED. As my wife stated, " The Sony is more than good enough with much better sound and a larger screen". The kids just like the larger screen, I am the only one who drools over black levels.
Your family's a democracy then?

In all seriousness, that is why I didn't get rid of the 65" ZT60 after picking up the OLED. The 40% increase in screen size isn't something to cough at.
tubetwister likes this.
vinnie_RIP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 1147 Old 07-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Vegas you have an OLED and the 900B. In regards to when your standing in front of each tv, does the OLED act like a radiant heater putting a lot of heat directly towards you? And does the heat of the 900B vent mostly upwards? Which set outputs more heat overall in your opinion?

I am curious about heat because I currently have a RP unit that has a 200w bulb in it and a fan that constantly outputs heat into the living room, so much so in the hot summertime that my A/C has to kick on more often as the thermostat is in the same room. I have went to great lengths to try to vent out this heat as well but to no real negligible benefit.

The LED runs pretty cool, no radiation of heat, a little warm on the back. The OLED runs similar to a Panasonic plasma the heat radiates toward the front, you can feel it when you walk in front of it.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #993 of 1147 Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
VERY interested in your thoughts on the 3D coming from a Passive 3D set.


My wife cant do the active as it gives her horrible headaches.
The active 3d is actually good, I still think passive has the edge but the active on the 950 is good. Crosstalk is very low I did not notice any eye strain. Black levels and colors look great and as long as your not in a bright room there's enough brightness.
Adamd is online now  
post #994 of 1147 Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Member
 
Xeneize12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
The active 3d is actually good, I still think passive has the edge but the active on the 950 is good. Crosstalk is very low I did not notice any eye strain. Black levels and colors look great and as long as your not in a bright room there's enough brightness.
I agree, 3D is pretty good, better than my Panasonic VT25 mainly because it's a lot "softer" for my eyes. Gravity on this TV looks amazing in both in 3D and 2D, the super deep blacks and amazing contrast really make the colors pop very naturally.
Xeneize12 is online now  
post #995 of 1147 Old 07-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeneize12 View Post
I agree, 3D is pretty good, better than my Panasonic VT25 mainly because it's a lot "softer" for my eyes. Gravity on this TV looks amazing in both in 3D and 2D, the super deep blacks and amazing contrast really make the colors pop very naturally.
I had the vt20 vt30 and vt50, great sets but they had a resolution drop in 3d.
Adamd is online now  
post #996 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well I guess I spoke to soon about winning the panel lottery... Looks like there's somthing behind the lcd panel. I spotted it from 10 feet back. I hope my OCD can get over it because I don't know if I can handle another exchange. Such a shame the tv is great beside this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (276.2 KB, 84 views)
Adamd is online now  
post #997 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
twarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
firmware update

I noticed (on the Sony support website) that there was a new firmware released 7-11 (version number 2.187); the tv set is set up for auto download, but its hard to tell if that is actually doing anything, so I manually downloaded through the support software download menu and installed it.
twarren is offline  
post #998 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 06:22 AM
Senior Member
 
BarrettF77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Well I guess I spoke to soon about winning the panel lottery... Looks like there's somthing behind the lcd panel. I spotted it from 10 feet back. I hope my OCD can get over it because I don't know if I can handle another exchange. Such a shame the tv is great beside this.
This is one of the things that I found on every single one of my 950 sets. There are several of them usually scattered all over the panel. It appeared to be debris stuck between the diffuser light and the LCD panel as you won't see it even when shining a police grade LED flashlight into the front of the panel. I found about 3-7 of those on each and every set I had, and generally it was closer to 7. If it bothers you, don't get another 950, because out of 5, every single one of them had it. This was one of the many reasons why I posted how Sony's quality control is so poor. I just don't see how this set can justify the $8k suggested retail price with all these blatant issues making it off the assembly line. But considering Sony Executive relations didn't seem to care, I cannot say this surprised me. I did return both of my two panels and will see what comes. Panasonic AX900?

Do your LED lights also shine out of the back of the TV and light the wall up behind it at night?

Last edited by BarrettF77; 07-13-2014 at 06:32 AM.
BarrettF77 is online now  
post #999 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
papaduxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Well I guess I spoke to soon about winning the panel lottery... Looks like there's somthing behind the lcd panel. I spotted it from 10 feet back. I hope my OCD can get over it because I don't know if I can handle another exchange. Such a shame the tv is great beside this.
That sucks about the screen debris, is it noticeable while watching only certain content or all the time?


Did you get a chance to give it a real good test gaming?

2 Definitive Technology ST-L Fronts, CS-8080HD center channel, Gem XL rears, SuperCube 8000 subwoofer, Marantz SR-7008 , and Sony KDL-55w900a
papaduxx is online now  
post #1000 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
This is one of the things that I found on every single one of my 950 sets. There are several of them usually scattered all over the panel. It appeared to be debris stuck between the diffuser light and the LCD panel as you won't see it even when shining a police grade LED flashlight into the front of the panel. I found about 3-7 of those on each and every set I had, and generally it was closer to 7. If it bothers you, don't get another 950, because out of 5, every single one of them had it. This was one of the many reasons why I posted how Sony's quality control is so poor. I just don't see how this set can justify the $8k suggested retail price with all these blatant issues making it off the assembly line. But considering Sony Executive relations didn't seem to care, I cannot say this surprised me. I did return both of my two panels and will see what comes. Panasonic AX900?



Do your LED lights also shine out of the back of the TV and light the wall up behind it at night?


Could you see them from your seated distance? I can only see one but it's smack dab in the centre. I can see it from 10 feet back when I look for it I see it and when I'm not looking for it I spot it. I'm very disappointed.
Adamd is online now  
post #1001 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
BarrettF77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Could you see them from your seated distance? I can only see one but it's smack dab in the centre. I can see it from 10 feet back when I look for it I see it and when I'm not looking for it I spot it. I'm very disappointed.
I could see a few of them from where I sat. One was about the size of an eraser head on a no. 2 pencil. But I didn't have any smack dab in the middle. They mostly were around that area and outer areas. It just looked random. That would bother me though having it right in the middle and I'm OCD. I'm better and let a lot more slide now. But at this price, that is a no-go for me if I can see it that easily in the middle. It would always bother me.
BarrettF77 is online now  
post #1002 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
[QUOTE=papaduxx;25705353]That sucks about the screen debris, is it noticeable while watching only certain content or all the time?


Did you get a chance to give it a real good test gaming?

It's easier to pick out in brighter scenes. I have not tested out anymore gaming quite yet.
Adamd is online now  
post #1003 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
Here's hoping the 2nd gen panels don't have the IR and baby sitting needs. I have never owned an android phone with AMOLED screen, which I would assume would be likely to get IR or burn in. And I have heard of some users complain of this. But, can that be fixed or has it been already. I'm hardwired on my Apple products and I don't see Apple doing it aside from the iWatch coming later. But with TV sets, I've also heard black uniformity is also an issue sometimes on OLED.

Either way, main objective is just to be able to enjoy it, not see flaws, and have the luxury of not baby sitting the set.
There are many owner's that are not having these issues.......
brickyardz and tubetwister like this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1004 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vegas oled's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I just don't believe Mexico has the quality control of other Countries. The reason companies are there is because they can get away with paying workers less than $10 dollars per day and offering free lunches. For one it is an abuse of human beings for borderline slave labor and for two the pay is not enough to motivate workers to care.

Large Corporations greediness is appalling and we pay the price in the quality of the products we purchase. This is an $8000 TV having garbage behind the screen is not acceptable.
timc1475 and tubetwister like this.
Vegas oled is offline  
post #1005 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Member
 
turnbowm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I just don't believe Mexico has the quality control of other Countries. The reason companies are there is because they can get away with paying workers less than $10 dollars per day and offering free lunches. For one it is an abuse of human beings for borderline slave labor and for two the pay is not enough to motivate workers to care.

Large Corporations greediness is appalling and we pay the price in the quality of the products we purchase. This is an $8000 TV having garbage behind the screen is not acceptable.

The reason why companies set up shop in Mexico is because of cheap labor rate and not having to pay duty as a result of the NAFTA trade agreement.
turnbowm is offline  
post #1006 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Any owners have sets with out somthing behind the glass or lcd? I can only see one on mine but it's smack dab in the middle of the screen. At first I thought it was a mosquito on the screen so I got up and saw it was somthing behind the lcd panel. I was so happy with the set too celebrating with some drinks and bam! It rocked my world. I'll be calling sony in the morning. I have a feeling they will want to refund my money instead of sending another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (662.0 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Adamd; 07-13-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Adamd is online now  
post #1007 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Senior Member
 
BarrettF77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Any owners have sets with out somthing behind the glass or lcd? I can only see one on mine but it's smack dab in the middle of the screen. At first I thought it was a mosquito on the screen so I got up and saw it was somthing behind the lcd panel. I was so happy with the set too celebrating with some drinks and bam! It rocked my world. I'll be calling sony in the morning. I have a feeling they will want to refund my money instead of sending another one.
Send it back! That's crap
BarrettF77 is online now  
post #1008 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 11,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post
The reason why companies set up shop in Mexico is because of cheap labor rate and not having to pay duty as a result of the NAFTA trade agreement.
Don't forget about logistics, Mexico is a truck drive away from the US and Canada......No boat required and no long transit times.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1009 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 3,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Don't forget about logistics, Mexico is a truck drive away from the US and Canada......No boat required and no long transit times.
But to have virtually blind people doing the Quality Control!
Vegas oled likes this.
p5browne is online now  
post #1010 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Member
 
Xeneize12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
Send it back! That's crap
I agree... I would not tolerate that.
Xeneize12 is online now  
post #1011 of 1147 Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tubetwister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Posts: 2,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I just don't believe Mexico has the quality control of other Countries. The reason companies are there is because they can get away with paying workers less than $10 dollars per day and offering free lunches. For one it is an abuse of human beings for borderline slave labor and for two the pay is not enough to motivate workers to care.

Large Corporations greediness is appalling and we pay the price in the quality of the products we purchase. This is an $8000 TV having garbage behind the screen is not acceptable.
Too bad the corporate overseers have all but abandoned thier native land in many cases and aslo our over regulated elected dictatorship

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
tubetwister is online now  
post #1012 of 1147 Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Senior Member
 
BarrettF77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just because you don't have to ship something by boat does it mean it's better. It's about the people, the iniltilligent people overseeing actually doing their jobs, and a Corp office of C Suite execs who want their brand name to mean something from a quality perspective.

Many companies including Sony used to be highly regarded in this way. Now Sony to me is on the same level of Vizio or perhaps lower because Vizio would probably give better service.

Call a company like apple who has stuff all done in China (who has their own labor problems), but Apple wants to make their working conditions humane and has pushed for their wages to be increased.

Point is, you can charge a premium, take care of your workers, and deliver a great product without mucking it up. Take note Sony.

If Apple ever gets I to the tv business, could be rough seas.
BarrettF77 is online now  
post #1013 of 1147 Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Member
 
Xeneize12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
J but Apple wants to make their working conditions humane and has pushed for their wages to be increased
This made me chuckle... sorry no offence, but you're wrong here.
tubetwister likes this.
Xeneize12 is online now  
post #1014 of 1147 Old 07-14-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,220
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
Call a company like apple who has stuff all done in China (who has their own labor problems), but Apple wants to make their working conditions humane and has pushed for their wages to be increased.
And this only happened when the media brought to light how Apple was using cheap Chinese labor in horrible working conditions. Apple did not do this out of the goodness of their hearts and it was an embarrassing period for them. So let's get it straight, there is nothing inherently 'good' about Apple's approach to their contractor's working conditions. Like other companies, they can be embarrassed into seeking change.
tubetwister likes this.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #1015 of 1147 Old 07-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
 
BarrettF77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm not saying Apple is the golden child and sets the bar for how it's done. Far from it. And yes, the media did have some role in it. Most things any large company does these days is a PR stunt to be used as free advertising. Apple is a master at that. They used the labor situation as a free PR stunt. Regardless, they churn out better, nicer, and overall better designed pieces of hardware than most other companies today.
BarrettF77 is online now  
post #1016 of 1147 Old 07-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Senior Member
 
BarrettF77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeneize12 View Post
This made me chuckle... sorry no offence, but you're wrong here.
I'm pretty sure they don't have drug cartels and everything being shot around them. Both conditions suck though.
BarrettF77 is online now  
post #1017 of 1147 Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Member
 
Y2JDMBFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone know what the new firmware update does that was released over the weekend? I haven't downloaded it yet. Was gone all weekend, just got home late last night.

Thanks.
Y2JDMBFAN is offline  
post #1018 of 1147 Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Newbie
 
SL600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
I'm pretty sure they don't have drug cartels and everything being shot around them. Both conditions suck though.
Can we please get back to discussing the X950B?
Y2JDMBFAN and Yappadappadu like this.
SL600 is offline  
post #1019 of 1147 Old 07-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Member
 
Y2JDMBFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lemont, IL
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL600 View Post
Can we please get back to discussing the X950B?
Yes, I agree!
Y2JDMBFAN is offline  
post #1020 of 1147 Old 07-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I've spent more time with my 950b and it definitely has more blooming then the elite did. The blooming is mostly with a dark screen and if somthing goes to one corner, in regular viewing it's not an issue so not a deal breaker for me. Black levels in dark knight look great. I think this TV is better then the elite for sure better color, 3d and it's 4k. 4k netflix looks great although it looks compressed at times. This set is much better then the x900a I had and I'm hoping sony sends me another one and I get a winner. The panel lottery continues.....
Adamd is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off