Official Sony X950B Owner's thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My 65X950B Update:

I'm actually amazed at the contrast and deep blacks this model has. 4K Content, Blu-ray, Sports and gaming are all A+, I cannot be happier with the purchase. I love what Sony did with the Scene's on picture options giving a healthy number of presets (my last Sony was an XBR4), I started watching House of Cards Season 1 again just to enjoy it in 4K. This is the first Sony TV where Motionflow is actually good for most content, still when it comes to Blu-ray I much prefer a Cinema variation (I think it turns off Motionflow)

Gaming on non-gaming mode looks stunning but virtually unplayable if you're sensitive to input-lag, however on Game mode, this TV is simply amazing!

Sports with Football mode On is the closest thing to actually being there, I just wish there was a way to enable that "sound" feature with a receiver, but as far as video goes, it's a very quick way to enhance colors and viewing experience for most sports with the press of a single button, love that feature!

Now on to the negatives....

We've all read Banding and Blooming is an issue with this set, I can tell you that Blooming is definitely there, very much evident in whites against black backgrounds, it isn't a deal breaker for me at all, you get used to it and frankly I don't see how blooming can be completely eliminated for a FALD TV. As far as Banding goes, I did notice it the first couple of days and now I can't see them anywhere.... been trying different sources and If I focus hard I can see them on solid colors but my wife , for example, cannot spot them at all.....

My panel has one dead pixel, just a single one about two-three inches from the top right... only visible upon close inspection and with particular colors and debating weather I should play lottery myself and return it for a new set.... I'm just to scared to make that move, since I'm very happy with everything else. What would you all do??

Viewing angles are not an issue to me since I have three theater seats pretty much in sweet spot to the TV, but they aren't anywhere near as good as my VT25, thats for sure, I would say it's great up until 30 degrees, then you get the exponential loss of brightness and PQ in general.

Do I recommend this TV? If you're looking for a FALD and Edge lit is not an option and your wallet supports it, sure, I absolutely do. I keep this TV in a very dark environment with almost zero natural light and the inside lighting never reflects against the TV due to positioning, to me edge lit was not an option, it was either Plasma or a FALD and not having 4K eliminated Plasmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Seriously Citivas? Do not twist me post you refer to make your misconstrued point. I never said the "RS" series would not have "any problems". The tenor of my post referencing the RS series said exactly this> would "offset some of the current issues" associated with these 2014 4k sets that many owners & past owners are posting about the 900B & 950B.

I never mentioned "Samsung" btw. The AX 900 is a Panasonic brand. You are entitled to your opinion as well as I am. I suspect most of my my postings will prove fairly accurate regarding the various subject matter. Time will tell soon enough and before the end of 2014 IMO.

I am out of silver platters so if you want to view the various links I have already previously posted backing up much of my posted info, feel free to check out all of my past postings on AVS.

You stated that I stated: "The specs on the Sony don't say "suffers from inconsistent banding issues" and the specs on the Samsung doesn't say "unstable Netflix app" etc. I did not state that yet you try to bait me for what end?

No manufacturer would ever state said issues within their own specs dude. It is the customers here on AVS that have and continue to state these issues, barring a lucky few. More than a few return them in the panel lottery. Your deciphering of my post & content is extremely confusing the way you have twisted it. That is a major foul.

Lastly that post was specific to a fellow AVS member Vegas who has been through alot with these 2014 4k sets. I have no issue with any questions you may have but please do not twist my words needlessly.

We are all here to learn about a purchase as important & expensive as a car would cost. I am in the market for a 4k and the 79x900B is on my short list. Even so the AVS members opinions & owners, what they have to say regarding these sets are a very high value to me.

Most info is naturally ones personal opinion, except where links & pics have been provided to give specifics as needed to spotlight topic subject matter. I skimmed over many of your prior posts on your profile Citivas, and you already are fully aware of all these these 4k PQ issues, so why jab & bait me? Defending ones post is very draining, especially when another distorts it. Now back to the thread.

My post that you twisted below:
I knew it was a matter of time Vegas...lol
If you can wait for 3 short months, the 65" Vizio RS with 384 zones FALD will be out. I think with your eagle eyes this would be possibly the only set that would offset the issues with the LED/LCD 4k current tech of banding, flashlighting, clouding, screen uniformity and last but not least...wait for it...DSE.

Another consideration is the 65" AX900, although this will have a lot less zones than the aforementioned, also due out a similar timeframe. The 65" & 77" LG 4k OLED would be perfect for you but price is as unearthly as its PQ.

Whatever you choose I'll be watching, because w/e you're happy with inevitably, most would be as well. The only difference I am looking for than you is a 65+ size as I currently have a 70" and must therefore go to either a 78" / 79" / 85" or 120" because once one is spoiled to bigger tv sizes it is impossible to be satisfied with anything the same size or smaller thereafter.
Wow, way to overreact and misconstrue. I find it ironic that you falsely accuse me of misquoting you but then you do exactly that of my post. I'm not a Troll who "baits" or "jabs" anyone. I made a serious post that you seem to have reacted extremely defensively about.

Your post said that the R-series would be available in 3 months. I follow the Vizio topics and hadn't seen any posts about them officially announcing an October release (i.e. 3 months), so I asked when that had happened. A legitimate question. It's easy for me to miss a post here and there across all the topics so I was curious if they had made it official or if you had some specific insider information about the release date. Last I read the P-series, which will mostly likely come before the R-series, was "this fall" which could be anytime up to late December (though one would hope they try to beat Thanksgiving if they want to sell a lot of units this year) and the R-series as "this year" which may mean by December but is sufficiently vague enough that it may also mean Vizio wasn't' yet confident of having supply for a full market launch by a specific release date.

I never remotely said or even implied that you made specific comments about the Sony or Samsung, contrary to your post, and yes I know the AX900 is a Panasonic and made no reference to it in my post. I simply listed two issues I picked at random with other 4K sets to illustrate the point that specs don't tell the whole story about whether a set will have issues, in way of asking why you believe the Vizio R-series will not have any of the issues you listed presumably based only on the specs of the model. Again, a legitimate question. And there were a lot of possible answers -- perhaps you have been given pre-launch access to it as a trail, perhaps you merely meant that you hope that it will not have those issues, perhaps you are counting on the number of FALD zones to inherently address those issues, etc. (though it's not clear yet whether Sony banding issues are related to anything that the Vizio FALD zones would solve). I wanted to understand the basis on which we should expect the Vizio won't have similar issues to the current 4K sets.

In the spirit of re-quoting your original post, here is mine. 4 short sentences. I don't say you're wrong. I merely ask you to clarify. Why so defensive?

When did Vizio announce a definite release of the R series by October?

How do you know the R-series won't have any of these other problems? The specs on the Sony don't say "suffers from inconsistent banding issues" and the specs on the Samsung doesn't say "unstable Netflix app" etc. I've read the specs on the R series but am curious how you're confident there will be no execution flaws with it?
vinnie_RIP likes this.

Last edited by Citivas; 07-16-2014 at 09:09 AM.
post #1053 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Xeneize, I would keep it. If the only issue is something you can only see at distances far closer than where you sit, why chance another panel?
Xeneize12 and tubetwister like this.
post #1054 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeneize12 View Post
My 65X950B Update:

I'm actually amazed at the contrast and deep blacks this model has. 4K Content, Blu-ray, Sports and gaming are all A+, I cannot be happier with the purchase. I love what Sony did with the Scene's on picture options giving a healthy number of presets (my last Sony was an XBR4), I started watching House of Cards Season 1 again just to enjoy it in 4K. This is the first Sony TV where Motionflow is actually good for most content, still when it comes to Blu-ray I much prefer a Cinema variation (I think it turns off Motionflow)

Gaming on non-gaming mode looks stunning but virtually unplayable if you're sensitive to input-lag, however on Game mode, this TV is simply amazing!

Sports with Football mode On is the closest thing to actually being there, I just wish there was a way to enable that "sound" feature with a receiver, but as far as video goes, it's a very quick way to enhance colors and viewing experience for most sports with the press of a single button, love that feature!

Now on to the negatives....

We've all read Banding and Blooming is an issue with this set, I can tell you that Blooming is definitely there, very much evident in whites against black backgrounds, it isn't a deal breaker for me at all, you get used to it and frankly I don't see how blooming can be completely eliminated for a FALD TV. As far as Banding goes, I did notice it the first couple of days and now I can't see them anywhere.... been trying different sources and If I focus hard I can see them on solid colors but my wife , for example, cannot spot them at all.....

My panel has one dead pixel, just a single one about two-three inches from the top right... only visible upon close inspection and with particular colors and debating weather I should play lottery myself and return it for a new set.... I'm just to scared to make that move, since I'm very happy with everything else. What would you all do??

Viewing angles are not an issue to me since I have three theater seats pretty much in sweet spot to the TV, but they aren't anywhere near as good as my VT25, thats for sure, I would say it's great up until 30 degrees, then you get the exponential loss of brightness and PQ in general.

Do I recommend this TV? If you're looking for a FALD and Edge lit is not an option and your wallet supports it, sure, I absolutely do. I keep this TV in a very dark environment with almost zero natural light and the inside lighting never reflects against the TV due to positioning, to me edge lit was not an option, it was either Plasma or a FALD and not having 4K eliminated Plasmas.

I would keep it if I was you, I had 3 x900a and all of them had at least 4 dead pixels, the pixels are so small to I bet 3 feet back you would have a hard time seeing it.
Xeneize12 likes this.
post #1055 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
LOL I know right! We should all pay him as a OCD 4k professional tester for all us AVS elite.

I have seen many come and go who are in this category.... I wonder where they go in the end ??
IMRIZZO likes this.
post #1056 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if the FALD is disabled on impulse mode? The back-lighting seems uniform on this mode (which sucks since you are paying for FALD).
post #1057 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I have seen many come and go who are in this category.... I wonder where they go in the end ??
At least now there is an OLED to go to. XBR8 was the closest to perfect TV Sony ever made. OLED is the only display I found I could watch all day without spotting a problem that was not caused by content. OLED black levels are sooo good that they are jaw dropping in a fully lit room, you even notice it during commercials.

The 900B overall I would give a score of 95%, it really is an excellent display. I suggest a person never go to OLED it is too close to perfect and hard to go back to any LED again.

My picks are LG OLED for 55" set, nothing comes close. 65 or larger the Sony 900B or the Samsung HU9000. I believe the Sony 950B offers the least value of any 4k set. The black level advantage it offers is only appreciated in darker rooms at the cost of blooming and off angle viewing.

If you have 8K to burn on a TV spend another grand and go with the 79900B. That will be a display that will put a smile on your face every time you watch it.
5x10 and tubetwister like this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-16-2014 at 04:14 PM.
post #1058 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrium View Post
Does anyone know if the FALD is disabled on impulse mode? The back-lighting seems uniform on this mode (which sucks since you are paying for FALD).
It's not disabled.
post #1059 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Got to love Vapourware!

All these Models being promoted, with ? available dates. I'm assuming, delays are caused by issues that have arisen either from an engineering point of view, hardware issues, and finally manufacturing issues. Remember when we all thought our spouses were Perfect! Theory wise, anything can be Perfect - in practice, humans have a tendency to screw things up for various reasons! Just the nature of the beast.
Citivas, mikela and tubetwister like this.
post #1060 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
It's not disabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrium View Post
So are the any reasons to not use impulse mode if it doesn't give you a headache?

Last edited by Y2JDMBFAN; 07-16-2014 at 01:41 PM.
post #1061 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
So are the any reasons to not use impulse mode if it doesn't give you a headache?
It makes the picture darker but the 950 is so bright you just have to turn up the backlight. But it flickers like crazy to my eyes.

Last edited by Adamd; 07-16-2014 at 01:56 PM.
post #1062 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 176
4k in motion ... anyone sees any difrence on fast paced shots?
post #1063 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaktmestern View Post
4k in motion ... anyone sees any difrence on fast paced shots?
What exactly are you asking about?
post #1064 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
I'm assuming Sony is also not going to pursue OLED and that they also killed of Crystal LED I believe was the term they used at a CES show a short while back.

Tubetwister posted that link to the LG OLED, is LG the frontrunner on OLED tech now?

I agree on Vegas, Sony did used to lead the pack, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 8bit panel they use in the 950 vs had they used a 10bit panel would have also had better viewing angles. I don't think the two are related, but a better panel would likely have also had that too.

Can anyone tell me what the old 950 1080p set had for a panel? I did a check to see about the viewing angles on it and it doesn't seem to fade any as you move off angle much like a plasma would behave with the only exception that blooming is a sore thumb at that angle on dark backgrounds.
LG is the only runner for OLED tech now . Samsung,Sony ,Pioneer are out for now everything points to Pioneer,Sony and others (maybe Toshiba ) buying LGD WGRB OLED .
http://news.oled-display.net/sony-an...isplay-panels/

*May be * there will be some PRC mainland JV with LGD making OLED panels eventually for the mainland . AFAIK the mainland OLED TV producers Skyworh ,Changdong,Konka , maybe Hisense etc are using the LGD 55" WRGB OLED panel same as you would find in an LG or other OLED using LGD OLED panel

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1396259086
http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/artic...oled-tv-market

I believe panel (8 bit or 10 bit ) in itself would not affect view angle . OTOH 2 panels can certainly vary
with one being 10 and the other 8 bit but have different view angle for other reasons .

which 950 ,HX950, W950B ?

lets take the XBR HX950 maybe just a guess don't hold me to it but on the HX950 active 3D would generally role out an LGD panel . likely suspects remaining are AUO AMVA (3) ? (5) ? active 3D or Samsung S-PVA A3D of some sort .

W950B /passive 3D could be LGD S-IPS or AUO AMVA passive 3D panel of some sort

Just found out yesterday from another poster here AUP panels come both ways active 3D or Passive 3D
where as beLieve Samsung are active 3D and LGD passive 3D only respectively . I think CMO Innolux is active 3D also with only AUP being bi-3D if you will

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-16-2014 at 03:42 PM.
post #1065 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What exactly are you asking about?
probably panning motion blur (which can be source sometimes , somtimes not )
or the usual LCD motion ,zooming or panning judder .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #1066 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
LG is the only runner for OLED tech now . Samsung,Sony ,Pioneer are out for now everything points to Pioneer,Sony and others (maybe Toshiba ) buying LGD WGRB OLED .
http://news.oled-display.net/sony-an...isplay-panels/

*May be * there will be some PRC mainland JV with LGD making OLED panels eventually for the mainland . AFAIK the mainland OLED TV producers Skyworh ,Changdong,Konka , maybe Hisense etc are using the LGD 55" WRGB OLED panel same as you would find in an LG or other OLED using LGD OLED panel

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1396259086
http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/artic...oled-tv-market

I believe panel (8 bit or 10 bit ) in itself would not affect view angle . OTOH 2 panels can certainly vary
with one being 10 and the other 8 bit but have different view angle for other reasons .

which 950 ,HX950, W950B ?

lets take the XBR HX950 maybe just a guess don't hold me to it but on the HX950 active 3D would generally role out an LGD panel . likely suspects remaining are AUO AMVA (3) ? (5) ? active 3D or Samsung S-PVA A3D of some sort .

W950B /passive 3D could be LGD S-IPS or AUO AMVA passive 3D panel of some sort

Just found out yesterday from another poster here AUP panels come both ways active 3D or Passive 3D
where as beLieve Samsung are active 3D and LGD passive 3D only respectively . I think CMO Innolux is active 3D also with only AUP being bi-3D if you will
Isn't the panel info available/visible through the service menu?
post #1067 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Vizio owners threads

Glad I don't live near Cleveland Plasma the temptation of a real store and folks who actually understand and know their products could be overwhelming ! ☺☺

cheers

Edited for brevity
timc1475 likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-16-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #1068 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
Isn't the panel info available/visible through the service menu?
very easy to find in there I've done it in all my sets (5) of (6) anyway except for the Sammy Plamsa for obvious reasons

Once you know your panel version and mfr. you can look it up at panelook

OTOH you have to be careful in there changing the wrong thing inadvertently or intentionally in there (TV doesn't care ) can permanently brick a TV to the point where it can not be restored even with a factory re set !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-16-2014 at 05:01 PM.
post #1069 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm picking my TV up tomorrow night, reading this thread has me a little nervous with the displays. Luckily There have been some positive reviews that have nailed all of the things I am looking for, and coming from a Sony LED already I'm familiar with the viewing angles.

Does anyone have any setting recommendations? Also using the Netflix native app on the TV (4k), Is the best way to get surround through the optical out of the TV? My current set up has my Fios HDMI out to my Xbox One then from my Xbox One to my TV. The Xbox One audio is going to my receiver through optical. I would imagine I can set up another optical from my TV to my receiver to get my 4k Netflix app audio to work and just select that input on the receiver when viewing.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you guys have.

2 Definitive Technology ST-L Fronts, CS-8080HD center channel, Gem XL rears, SuperCube 8000 subwoofer, Marantz SR-7008 , and Sony KDL-55w900a

Last edited by papaduxx; 07-16-2014 at 09:43 PM.
post #1070 of 1328 Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaduxx View Post
I'm picking my TV up tomorrow night, reading this thread has me a little nervous with the displays. Luckily There have been some positive reviews that have nailed all of the things I am looking for, and coming from a Sony LED already I'm familiar with the viewing angles.

Does anyone have any setting recommendations? Also using the Netflix native app on the TV (4k), Is the best way to get surround through the optical out of the TV? My current set up has my Fios HDMI out to my Xbox One then from my Xbox One to my TV. The Xbox One audio is going to my receiver through optical. I would imagine I can set up another optical from my TV to my receiver to get my 4k Netflix app audio to work and just select that input on the receiver when viewing.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you guys have.
So far I haven't touched the settings, I'm happy with the presets (for now) for Xbox/PS4, Gaming suits it perfect, for Netflix/Blu-Ray Cinema, etc, I'm sure you'll find your sweet spot.

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-35 and I get 5.1 from Netflix via Optical cable, I don't even have to change the inputs, it auto detects Optical Audio in and switches without any user interaction. I have everything going through the receiver, but plan on running PS4/Xbox directly to the TV and circle back the audio to the receiver with the same Optical Cable, I'm doing this so that I don't have to switch to game every time, although there's an Auto (P24) set that detects the source and switches automatically, works well with consoles and BD player but if you rent a movie from Xbox or PS it will default to the "game" settings (not many workarounds here I guess)

Good luck with the panel! Post some impressions
post #1071 of 1328 Old 07-18-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Spent some time with the 950B today and I have changed my mind.
IMO no 4K set has a picture quality close to the 950B, those blacks are better than plasma and the closest to oled.

The 950B requires some time to sit down in the proper lighting to evaluate. The Sony experience section at BB does not do this set justice. You need to sit in front of this masterpiece with some quality 4K demos and you will find out what this set can do, amazing.
Y2JDMBFAN, papaduxx and brickyardz like this.
post #1072 of 1328 Old 07-18-2014, 03:08 PM

I have a replacement 950B coming tomorrow, do you guys think I should try and get them to leave my original with me a couple of days to decide which one is better? or just take a chance and swap?
post #1073 of 1328 Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a replacement 950B coming tomorrow, do you guys think I should try and get them to leave my original with me a couple of days to decide which one is better? or just take a chance and swap?
Could try but they will probably want you to pay for both. Then refund when you decide. I hope your next one is better.
tubetwister likes this.
post #1074 of 1328 Old 07-18-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can see where that might be a legitimate course of action .....tough decision but like Adamd said you know they are probably going to want to get paid for other one if they don't exchange them .

In any event good luck.

post #1075 of 1328 Old 07-18-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Debating the upgrade to 950B, Fry's has a no tax 4K weekend. I either need to go 950B or back to OLED. 900B very nice, I just need the blackest blacks available too sleep well at night.
post #1076 of 1328 Old 07-18-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Debating the upgrade to 950B, Fry's has a no tax 4K weekend. I either need to go 950B or back to OLED. 900B very nice, I just need the blackest blacks available too sleep well at night.
LOL. Remind me where you keep buying and returning all these sets when they prove unworthy -- BB?
post #1077 of 1328 Old 07-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I'm A black level addict too and this set gets the best black levels of any set I've had. They don't just get really dark like the elite or vt50 but the leds turn right off so the black is pure black. There is some blooming but during an actual movie I never really see it to a point where it sticks out. If you don't want to wait for a bigger oled this is the set you should get. I thought about oled but the technology is still to new for me to jump on board plus after owning many plasmas I'm sick of the whole burn in image retention thing.
post #1078 of 1328 Old 07-18-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
LOL. Remind me where you keep buying and returning all these sets when they prove unworthy -- BB?
Presumably that wouldn't be the store to buy an open Box Sony 9.x
Unless you got one real cheap (not likely at B.B. ) and got real lucky and gave the screen a good rub ( again real lucky if at all possible ? ) and got it working regular

post #1079 of 1328 Old 07-18-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeneize12 View Post
So far I haven't touched the settings, I'm happy with the presets (for now) for Xbox/PS4, Gaming suits it perfect, for Netflix/Blu-Ray Cinema, etc, I'm sure you'll find your sweet spot.

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-35 and I get 5.1 from Netflix via Optical cable, I don't even have to change the inputs, it auto detects Optical Audio in and switches without any user interaction. I have everything going through the receiver, but plan on running PS4/Xbox directly to the TV and circle back the audio to the receiver with the same Optical Cable, I'm doing this so that I don't have to switch to game every time, although there's an Auto (P24) set that detects the source and switches automatically, works well with consoles and BD player but if you rent a movie from Xbox or PS it will default to the "game" settings (not many workarounds here I guess)

Good luck with the panel! Post some impressions
TV was installed late last night, my initial impressions are this set is amazing. 4k (Netflix) and Blu-rays look amazing.

Fios looks great, I would say it a little crisper than usual on a 1080p set. Black levels are also some of the best I've seen since plasma TV's.

You were right, gaming under the general settings looks awesome but a slight bit of lag is present. This is quickly remedied by changing to the gaming setting on the tv, picture quality still remains great. I haven't tested it too extensively but plan too this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140718_14_35_20_Pro.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	168729   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140718_23_47_05_Pro.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	169137   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140718_23_54_12_Pro.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	169145  

2 Definitive Technology ST-L Fronts, CS-8080HD center channel, Gem XL rears, SuperCube 8000 subwoofer, Marantz SR-7008 , and Sony KDL-55w900a

Last edited by papaduxx; 07-18-2014 at 10:26 PM.
post #1080 of 1328 Old 07-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
X950b

Best Buy has the 850, 900, and 950 all grouped together as part of their 4K display.
Here is my observation. As you go up from the 850, you can see improvement in color and contrast. However, if you looked at the 850 or 900 by itself, not in proximity to the 950, it would be very highly rated, with outstanding color and contrast. The 900 speakers make the display very wide. In fact, I saw the 79" 900B. It's 80 inches wide.

Here's the rub. I was very disappointed with the off-axis picture of the 950. When I got outside of 35-40 degrees, there was a noticeable loss of color and contrast. I thought the off-axis viewing on the 850 and 900 were better than the 950. Could that be because the 950 is full array?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - X950B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page