Official Sony X950B Owner's thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 338Likes

post #1621 of 2345 Old 09-16-2015, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I only have $3900 invested in it and I plann keeping it 2-3 years. If they come out with a kick ass 70 to 75" that wiil fit in my space and ti is worth buying then that time comes I will.

Last edited by bturkel; 09-20-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2345 Old 09-20-2015, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yesterday I went to BB and invested in a Platinum Monster 12 outlet surge protector & power conditioner (cost was $119.00) and it made a difference with DirecTV. Picture quality is improved.

The improvement was instantly noticable last night to both myself & my girlfriend, but even more obvious to me today with NFL broadcasts (which depending on the channel is broadcast in 720p or 1080i). I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with the improvement. The degree of change kind surprised me. I definitely wasn't expecting it.

So, if you are an x950b owner (or an owner of any 4K TV), I recommend that you invest in this device! And if you do, I hope that you see the same level of improvement as I have seen! If you're into sports like me, it's kind of a must-have accessory. If you don't see an improvement, return it for a refund.

Also, and as an aside, while I was at BB yesterday, I also checked out the new flat LG 65ef9500 OLED. In my opinion, the x950b has a better picture. Upscaling is better and so is motion resolution. And while the OLED has a tad better black level, it definitley doesn't have the same level of shadow detail as the Sony (based on my casual observation). Kudos to Sony.

Last edited by Radvlad; 09-20-2015 at 06:29 PM.
post #1623 of 2345 Old 09-20-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Can someone explain how a monster surge protector would reduce noise in a picture?
post #1624 of 2345 Old 09-20-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben88 View Post
Can someone explain how a monster surge protector would reduce noise in a picture?
It wont.
post #1625 of 2345 Old 09-21-2015, 11:33 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
FWIW, the X940C has already dropped to 6999 from 7999 so if you're willing to wait, there will probably be some good deals on the rumored 65X950C coming later in the year or next year if you absolutely must have compatibility with most of the new future standards. Sadly, I don't think 950B owners will get firmware updates to add this functionality (the panel itself can certainly support it I'm sure). But one can hope.

Do you have any links to rumors on the 950c? I'm looking for an 85" model that has even more current specs the 940c (hopefully without the side speakers)
post #1626 of 2345 Old 09-21-2015, 06:16 PM

Why do I get flickering when sorts programs flash their log with scores etc... For instance the red ESPN logo flickers somewhat when they flash score.
post #1627 of 2345 Old 09-24-2015, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just received my 950b today and so far I am in love with it! All of the "professional" reviews I have found online do not include recommended settings/calibrations...so I am asking for your hard earned lessons and preferences. Please give me some guidance as to what your opinions are for getting the best out of my new TV.
post #1628 of 2345 Old 09-25-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae44 View Post
I just received my 950b today and so far I am in love with it! All of the "professional" reviews I have found online do not include recommended settings/calibrations...so I am asking for your hard earned lessons and preferences. Please give me some guidance as to what your opinions are for getting the best out of my new TV.
I have owned my set for about 2 months and haven't been able to find much in the way of recommended settings and/or calibrations online. I use Auto with motion set to Standard for normal TV viewing and sports, and I really like it, and Cinema 2 with motion set to Clear (vs. True Cinema) for movies on Netflix and Blu-ray and have found it to be great. The Clear setting does a nice job of reducing judder when watching movies.
post #1629 of 2345 Old 10-04-2015, 02:36 PM

I need help finding why when they flash score boxes up on the screen I am getting a flash on the screen
post #1630 of 2345 Old 10-04-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 621
anyone still looking at the 85" it dropped to 15k , is out of stock everywhere. Something is a foot!
post #1631 of 2345 Old 10-04-2015, 03:42 PM

To my fellow x950b owners, I must say that this TV rocks. I feel that it's under appreciated. But, that's neither here nor there.

The reason that I am posting is as follows, if you're a DirecTV user like myself, you should set your DTV to output automatically to 720p, 1080i or 1080p depending on the broadcast (go to Menue -> Settings&Help -> Settings -> Display -> TV Resoutions). The x950b does a killer job at upscaling so I recommend that you don't let your Sat/Cable box do that for you.

Also, get a power conditioner. You can find one that's also a surge protecter, I picked up a Monster brand one but there are multiple brands that do both. And, no, I don't work for, or get a kick back from, Monster.

If you do both, and if your TV is not defective when it comes to upscaling, which can happen as the first x950b I bought looked like shiz upscaling TV (July 2014 build)... I returned for another set [March 2015 buld], and am very happy, then I think that you will be very happy.

Please report back and let me know your experience.
post #1632 of 2345 Old 10-04-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturkel View Post
I need help finding why when they flash score boxes up on the screen I am getting a flash on the screen
Can you make a video? Im not seeing anything like that with mine. What sport? channel?
post #1633 of 2345 Old 10-04-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radvlad View Post
To my fellow x950b owners, I must say that this TV rocks. I feel that it's under appreciated. But, that's neither here nor there.

The reason that I am posting is as follows, if you're a DirecTV user like myself, you should set your DTV to output automatically to 720p, 1080i or 1080p depending on the broadcast (go to Menue -> Settings&Help -> Settings -> Display -> TV Resoutions). The x950b does a killer job at upscaling so I recommend that you don't let your Sat/Cable box do that for you.

Also, get a power conditioner. You can find one that's also a surge protecter, I picked up a Monster brand one but there are multiple brands that do both. And, no, I don't work for, or get a kick back from, Monster.

If you do both, and if your TV is not defective when it comes to upscaling, which can happen as the first x950b I bought looked like shiz upscaling TV (July 2014 build)... I returned for another set [March 2015 buld], and am very happy, then I think that you will be very happy.

Please report back and let me know your experience.
Well... I found that it actually did fairly poorly at deinterlacing 1080i and 480i. I run my TiVo thru my DVDO Edge and then to the display. The DVDO does a much better job. My other sources (BluRay (which also has Anchor Bay processing for 480i and 1080i) and Sony 4K server already are progressive so no problems there. I dont like the fact that Im double scaling 480 and 720 but not much I can do about it.

Otherwise, this display really rocks! The pic is amazing. I will be having it calibrated the next time Chad comes thru Florida (and Im home). Im bummed we couldnt work out a date for the tour in the next couple weeks.
post #1634 of 2345 Old 10-04-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post
Can you make a video? Im not seeing anything like that with mine. What sport? channel?
Video below - it is on ESPN and Sport channels like CBS, NBC etc... - It really is apparent on red color animations when they pop up scores boxes. The video link below has some examples I try to gather more later

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5dgs7af98...vY7Vozy7a?dl=0

Last edited by bturkel; 10-04-2015 at 06:20 PM.
post #1635 of 2345 Old 10-13-2015, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi 950b owners. I am an owner of two Pioneer Elite 60 inch plasmas and recently replaced my beloved Sony xbr rear projection tv, circa 2006, as it was showing signs of dying. After much consternation, I got a good price on a new 950 b for $4500, which was delivered 10 days ago. I bought the 950 because when I had seen them over the last year in Best Buys, they always seemed to have the most natural colors and best video processing, which has always been a Sony strength. My rear projection Sony was great and I never saw any video processing issues at all, I thought it was right up there with the Pioneer elites and better than older leds I have seen. I assumed that the 950 b would not disappoint. The production date of my 950 is September 2015 in Mexico. I smell a rat. I'm less than thrilled with the color rendition and the processing isn't great either. I notice judder and video noise on varying programming. I also notice that in the "picture" settings menu where you get to choose the preset canned picture settings, I only have THREE choices, STANDARD, VIVID or CUSTOM!!! No gaming, sports, cinema1, cinema2, etc. Is it remotely possible that I have a 950 b panel(it says 950b on the back, but strangely the box says x95 b, not 950b) with something less than 950b electronics and processing? Did they run out of 950b electronics at the end of its run and just put lesser electronics in to move product? Do all of you have a full, palette of picture setting choices that I don't have? The i-manual shows the laundry list that I don't seem to have. Comments? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
post #1636 of 2345 Old 10-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
Hi 950b owners. I am an owner of two Pioneer Elite 60 inch plasmas and recently replaced my beloved Sony xbr rear projection tv, circa 2006, as it was showing signs of dying. After much consternation, I got a good price on a new 950 b for $4500, which was delivered 10 days ago. I bought the 950 because when I had seen them over the last year in Best Buys, they always seemed to have the most natural colors and best video processing, which has always been a Sony strength. My rear projection Sony was great and I never saw any video processing issues at all, I thought it was right up there with the Pioneer elites and better than older leds I have seen. I assumed that the 950 b would not disappoint. The production date of my 950 is September 2015 in Mexico. I smell a rat. I'm less than thrilled with the color rendition and the processing isn't great either. I notice judder and video noise on varying programming. I also notice that in the "picture" settings menu where you get to choose the preset canned picture settings, I only have THREE choices, STANDARD, VIVID or CUSTOM!!! No gaming, sports, cinema1, cinema2, etc. Is it remotely possible that I have a 950 b panel(it says 950b on the back, but strangely the box says x95 b, not 950b) with something less than 950b electronics and processing? Did they run out of 950b electronics at the end of its run and just put lesser electronics in to move product? Do all of you have a full, palette of picture setting choices that I don't have? The i-manual shows the laundry list that I don't seem to have. Comments? Thanks. Regards. Ned.

r u in an app like netflix? the options menu changes completely when you're in an app.

go to live TV or HDMI source and see if you get more.

Home Theater and Home Automation Enthusiast
post #1637 of 2345 Old 10-13-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
It does have Cinemas 1 and 2 - you have to pick it by scene and input in settings, I love my 950b it is the closest LED I have seen to my Elite or Panny Zt that I sold
post #1638 of 2345 Old 10-13-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
It does have Cinemas 1 and 2 - you have to pick it by scene and input in settings, I love my 950b it is the closest LED I have seen to my Elite or Panny Zt that I sold
I have many hd tvs throughout my house, including the Pioneer elites. In all of those sets, when you go into the picture adjustments settings menu, you have the ability to choose one of many preset picture settings which in theory are optimized for a particular source material. My set for some unknown reason, only has those THREE choices! That's my point. There should be many more choices than the three I have. As I said, I smell a rat! I'm just asking to confirm that all of you have the full array of preset picture option in beginning of the video settings menu. And I did buy the Sony because at the end of the day, whenever I compared these panels, the Sony did always look the best. Not sure I got what you got! Thanks. Regards. Ned.
post #1639 of 2345 Old 10-13-2015, 12:54 PM

The NEW Sonys are different you have to go into options and set the scene up - it is not a rat you just not familiar with their UI -
http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanua...n_picmode.html
post #1640 of 2345 Old 10-13-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalevolentHamster View Post
r u in an app like netflix? the options menu changes completely when you're in an app.

go to live TV or HDMI source and see if you get more.
No matter what source I'm using, I only get those three picture setting options. I've watched broadcast tv, dvds and Netflix. And that shouldn't matter anyway. Whatever the source, if I choose a preset picture option, that's the combination of settings that the panel should be using, right or wrong. I can only hope that PC Richards does the right thing by me if this can't be resolved. The question is, where would I go from Here? I looked at the LG 9500 OLED and it had terrible motion blur on all background information during camera panning. That kills that panel for me. What's left after that, the Sammy js9500? I want my rear projection Sony back! Thanks. Regards. Ned.
post #1641 of 2345 Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
The NEW Sonys are different you have to go into options and set the scene up - it is not a rat you just not familiar with their UI -
http://docs.esupport.sony.com/imanua...n_picmode.html
So in your 950, when you go into the picture options in the beginning of the video settings menu, you have just the three options that I have, Standard, Vivid and Custom? Did you really sell your Pioneer Elite to buy an LED? I would never do that. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
post #1642 of 2345 Old 10-13-2015, 04:55 PM

Does anyone have calibration settings for the 950b? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
post #1643 of 2345 Old 10-14-2015, 07:40 AM

It's a sad commentary about Sony that this thread is only 55 pages while the Samsung js9500 is 198 pages long!! Either they sell a **** load fewer 950b's or the Sony crowd is a lot less enthusiastic! Or maybe we have better things to do with our time, a more accomplished club. That must be it. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
post #1644 of 2345 Old 10-14-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
It's a sad commentary about Sony that this thread is only 55 pages while the Samsung js9500 is 198 pages long!! Either they sell a **** load fewer 950b's or the Sony crowd is a lot less enthusiastic! Or maybe we have better things to do with our time, a more accomplished club. That must be it. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
The js9500 owners thread is the same length as the Sony x930/x940c thread, that is its main competitor. Don't think many, if any, people are buying this tv over the x930/x940.
post #1645 of 2345 Old 10-14-2015, 08:38 AM

I bought it over both of those at what I thought was an acceptable price. The 940c is too big and the 930c is not back lit local dimming and has those hideous side speakers. After spending time adjusting my new 950b last night and with some burn in time, the panel is starting to look pretty good. Time will tell if I like as much as my Pioneer Elite 60 inch 151 panel. My initial feeling is that the Pioneer might have better processing and less overall video artifact stuff going on. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
post #1646 of 2345 Old 10-14-2015, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Regarding video processing, your Pioneer panel is a native 1080p while the newer models like your 950b is a native 4K panel. A 4K panel will provide more picture details while also showing more noise from the same source. Quality of the source will determine the quality displayed, especially on a 4K panel.

C-Dub006
XBR75X940C, XBR60LX900, PDP5020FD, 3 other Sony LCD's
Polk, Infinity with Velodyne subs
3808ci, 3805
BDT-101ci, BDP-95FD, BDP-94FD, DV-970HD
HD-XA2
post #1647 of 2345 Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dub006 View Post
Regarding video processing, your Pioneer panel is a native 1080p while the newer models like your 950b is a native 4K panel. A 4K panel will provide more picture details while also showing more noise from the same source. Quality of the source will determine the quality displayed, especially on a 4K panel.
I hear you. But I still think that the Pioneer handles motion better and there isn't much 4K material available yet. Plus everything needs to be up scaled from native 1080 which entails more processing. Regards. Ned.
post #1648 of 2345 Old 10-14-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I am a long time audiophile and have been using a product called Richard Greys Power Company. It is an electronic fly wheel power conditioner. I tried it on my Pioneer Elite plasma years ago and was amazed by how much cleaner and sharper the picture looked. I own a bunch of them and have all my high end panels plugged into them. Highly recommended, IMO. Regards. Ned.
post #1649 of 2345 Old 10-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I am a long time audiophile and have been using a product called Richard Greys Power Company. It is an electronic fly wheel power conditioner. I tried it on my Pioneer Elite plasma years ago and was amazed by how much cleaner and sharper the picture looked. I own a bunch of them and have all my high end panels plugged into them. Highly recommended, IMO. Regards. Ned.
What is the name of the product? They have several.
post #1650 of 2345 Old 10-14-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
What is the name of the product? They have several.
I believe mine are the model 400. They are rectangular industrial looking boxes with four outlets on top. It was their original product from 20+ years ago. They are pretty heavy. I originally bought them for high end audio where it is often subtle to hear differences. When I initially used it on my Pioneer plasma panel I was amazed to be able to see a difference as opposed to listening for one! They will also act as a surge protector. You supposedly get a benefit to anything on the same circuit that the power plant is plugged into. I know that they expanded their line to more elegant looking products, but not sure that they are their original electronic flywheel function. You could call them or maybe it explains it online. I know that years ago I tried other power line conditioners and heard no benefit or a negative one. I have not been a big fan of Monster products for 20-30 years since they seem to put more money into marketing and appearance than true research. Maybe Richard Grey has a return if not satisfied policy. I've always been surprised that more videophiles haven't used these. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page