post #691 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigsberg7 View Post
Does this TV have some sort of option to blacken the letterboxes when watching a movie?
Yes, local dimming.
Iguana Man likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenatug View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by dubs1216 

New guy here! Been doing my homework for a new tv for a while now and I just picked up an M602i-b3 and a M322i-b1 from Costco, mainly from what i've read on this site. This is my first new tv in a really long time and know nothing about calibration or any other technical terms I have read on this site. Can someone with especially the 60" tv please give some tips on calibration or even just settings that will give a great picture. Thanks!!

I have the 60" M series, and have been playing around with the settings every night for the past week. I just purchased the Disney WOW disk, so I plan to see how that does over the weekend. But here are the settings that I'm using right now:

Went from a 50" Samsung DLP to a 55" Vizio M551D-A2 to M602i-B3 from Costco this afternoon.
The M551D-A2 had dinner plate sized white splotches in all 4 corners. Returned it to Best Buy and headed over to Costco.

Appreciate you posting the settings as it will help get me started. I can say that PQ is much better than the M551D. I was surprised that there is such a difference.

I have west facing living room windows and need to figure out how to block more light.

I have a lot of reading to do and feel like a complete noob as a lot has changed since my Samsung DLP purchased in 2005!

I keep reading about the Cnet settings. Does anyone have a link?

Thanks and please me patient with me as I am a middle aged female trying to figure this all out.

Edit: I mean really? A TV remote with a keyboard!

Last edited by MoInSTL; 06-13-2014 at 05:32 PM.
post #693 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmat View Post
accurate .... nonetheless
True, I give you that, but "even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut"
rtn5000 likes this.
post #694 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
Went from a 50" Samsung DLP to a 55" Vizio M551D-A2 to M602i-B3 from Costco this afternoon.
The M551D-A2 had dinner plate sized white splotches in all 4 corners. Returned it to Best Buy and headed over to Costco.

Appreciate you posting the settings as it will help get me started. I can say that PQ is much better than the M551D. I was surprised that there is such a difference.

I have west facing living room windows and need to figure out how to block more light.

I have a lot of reading to do and feel like a complete noob as a lot has changed since my Samsung DLP purchased in 2005!

I keep reading about the Cnet settings. Does anyone have a link?

Thanks and please me patient with me as I am a middle aged female trying to figure this all out.

Edit: I mean really? A TV remote with a keyboard!
This was the CNET calibration:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ture-settings/
post #695 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Yes, local dimming.
My samsung HU8550 has Smart LED aka the local dimming however the letterboxes can get washed out. The Samsung hu9000, hu8000 and the f8000 from last year had Cinema Black which darkened the letterboxes.

So theres just one dimming option?
post #696 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigsberg7 View Post
My samsung HU8550 has Smart LED aka the local dimming however the letterboxes can get washed out. The Samsung hu9000, hu8000 and the f8000 from last year had Cinema Black which darkened the letterboxes.

So theres just one dimming option?
Full array, local dimming - when implemented properly - allows the backlight to be selectively dimmed in darker areas. Most people who have commented on letter boxing with the 2014 M series have said that it does very well. Edge lit sets can employ a type of local dimming tech, but it won't be as effective (generally speaking - there are exceptions).
post #697 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 200
All this discussion of viewing angles is sort of like eating prime rib and damning it for being bad for you.

Great uniformity, virtually no light bleed issues except for minimal blooming and overall LCD flagship level PQ and yet some are worried about viewing angles and I have yet to see any credible evidence they're worse than average (edit: among other VA panels). "Worry is like interest paid in advance on a debt that never comes due" The Spanish Prisoner
fafrd likes this.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer

Last edited by venus933; 06-14-2014 at 06:58 AM.
post #698 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdyson View Post
Full array, local dimming - when implemented properly - allows the backlight to be selectively dimmed in darker areas. Most people who have commented on letter boxing with the 2014 M series have said that it does very well. Edge lit sets can employ a type of local dimming tech, but it won't be as effective (generally speaking - there are exceptions).
Hardware based dimming schemes such as employed by the HU8550 can be effective. Video based dimming schemes (frame/global dimming) are not.

It's all explained in depth by Geoffrey Morrison with this article LED local dimming explained

One of the things I think I'm going to like about the P series is that the LEDs behind the side and horizontal bars should be completely shut off.

Samsung PN60E7000

Last edited by venus933; 06-13-2014 at 08:16 PM.
post #699 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
All this discussion of viewing angles is sort of like eating prime rib and damning it for being bad for you.

Great uniformity, virtually no light bleed issues except for minimal blooming and overall LCD flagship level PQ and yet some are worried about viewing angles and I have yet to see any credible evidence they're worse than average. "Worry is like interest paid in advance on a debt that never comes due" The Spanish Prisoner
While I pragmatically agree with you on this point, we're also in the never ending pursuit of PQ perfection. If people wanted just the best picture, your best model in any one year would be king and there would be no progress. But since we want the best picture POSSIBLE there is always room for improvement. Is it possible to improve viewing angles while still maintaining this color accuracy and black level? We'll sure, that's what will sell the 2015 vizio models. Not to mention different PQ aspects resonate differently for every consumer. It's like telling someone in sales they couldn't have done any better (I.e. A bonus cap) Well next fiscal year you have guaranteed they will do no more than the previous year. Btw I really like that quote and will have to use it.

Don't get me wrong, I hear what you're saying, but an iron chef judge can still critique a prime rib.
post #700 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Looks like Panasonic will be the way to go judging by the limited reading I have done in that thread, Really disappointed here after reading initial comments here and especially after reading that review.
I'm hoping they bring their top of the line 1080 set to the states. I think it was the AS800? I just can't bite on 4k right now. Too many issues.
post #701 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
"Edit: I mean really? A TV remote with a keyboard!"
Just like those toy phones.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #702 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

cjpk248;
Neither are listed on Panasonic's site, just the AS650. That does not have local dimming, just the AS800??

How much of a gimmick is their "BLS"??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #703 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Looking for a TV for my bedroom. Im stuck between this Vizio M 42" or the Samsung F5300 plasma. Now, on one hand I know the Samsung is probably going to have a noticeably better picture. Better contrast, wider viewing angle, deeper blacks, etc. But the issue is my bedroom is pretty small and I'm thinking 51" is pushing it. Some of my viewing will be done by my computer desk while I game on my PC connected to the TV. That's probably 5 feet away. Being that close I can start to notice "dithering" on my Panasonic G20. I'm worried if I get the Samsung I'll only be able to watch it from the far end of the room because the "noise" or what have you, is noticeable on the screen. I'm just curious how much of a PQ loss I will be taking by going with the Vizio. How's the viewing angle at 30 degrees or so off center?
post #704 of 2098 Old 06-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by showsjohn View Post
Looking for a TV for my bedroom. Im stuck between this Vizio M 42" or the Samsung F5300 plasma. Now, on one hand I know the Samsung is probably going to have a noticeably better picture. Better contrast, wider viewing angle, deeper blacks, etc. But the issue is my bedroom is pretty small and I'm thinking 51" is pushing it. Some of my viewing will be done by my computer desk while I game on my PC connected to the TV. That's probably 5 feet away. Being that close I can start to notice "dithering" on my Panasonic G20. I'm worried if I get the Samsung I'll only be able to watch it from the far end of the room because the "noise" or what have you, is noticeable on the screen. I'm just curious how much of a PQ loss I will be taking by going with the Vizio. How's the viewing angle at 30 degrees or so off center?
You and I both looking for a good 42", and it seems the best was last year's Panasonic tc-p42s60 plasma. The Samsung 43" plasma is 720p. I still may take a look at the Vizio M422 at best buy.
post #705 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
So from reading through the posts, the main issues is the 2014 M series is:
1) Poor off-axis viewing since they are VA panels, not IPS.
2) Only 300 motion lines, when smooth motion and MBR are turned off to reduce the soap opera effect.
3) Issues with fast moving content (movies, sports) probably due to #2 above.

So this has me rethinking looking to buy the M422i.
Guess I'll need to check it out in person next to the Sony.
I have a strong feeling that the M422i is not VA but IPS, but the M602i is VA.

The M422i viewing angle is listed as 178°/178° compared to 176°/176° on the M602i on VIZIO's website. Coupled with the fact that I currently own a M422i and I have what appears to be distinctive IPS glow on the bottom corners (that disappears depending on viewing angle) reinforces it. Not only that, but I already noted two customer reviews for this model claiming such IPS glow on the bottom corners. Thirdly, the viewing angle is just about equal to my 27" iMac, which is clearly an IPS panel.
post #706 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 01:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had my m322i-b1 for a little over a week now. I am generally very pleased with it. The only time I notice really any glow from the sides is during credits. But normal movie watching the black bars above and below almost always stay inky black. I'm pretty impressed with the picture quality and I understand the bigger models have even more LED zones for even a better picture. I have noticed some quirky things with the TV though and I was curious if anyone else had the same issues:
1. The processor on the tv seems to be slow. It can't handle moving back and forth quickly in the YouTube app. And most disturbingly when I was watching a streaming Netflix movie through the tv's app, I went to fast forward and I was flipping ahead to different scenes rather quickly. My tv then completely locked up. My remote wouldn't do anything. I couldn't even turn the tv off with the remote! About a minute went by and my tv finally shut itself off. But then I couldn't turn it back on!! Then after about 30 seconds my remote became responsive again and I was able to power the tv back on.
2. Yahoo app videos are very grainy and blocky. I have no trouble with stream quality through the netflix app. Not sure if this is a problem with Vizio or a problem with Yahoo.

I have submitted tech support requests for both of these features. I hope vizio can fix the lag issue with a firmware update.

Lastly I would say I'm not too happy with the fact the front side of the remote is not backlit even though the back keyboard is. That was kind of a weird design decision. And it's also annoying if I'm typing on the remote keyboard, that the backlight shuts off within just a second or two after you stop typing. I wish I could set it to stay lit longer.

Does anyone else have these experiences with this model?

Overall happy with the tv so far.
post #707 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderPie View Post
I have a strong feeling that the M422i is not VA but IPS, but the M602i is VA.
VA in the M422i? Not the one I studied. Check the skin-tone of light skinned faces. Unless they are releasing TV's with two totally different panel types, the color-shift and wash-out is clearly visible on the M422i in my photographs two pages back. In one of the photos an LG IPS TV is hung directly beside it. It seems however better than VA panels from a few years back.
post #708 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
cjpk248;
Neither are listed on Panasonic's site, just the AS650. That does not have local dimming, just the AS800??

How much of a gimmick is their "BLS"??

Panasonic Puts 2014 Lineup On Display in NYC

Post #20
post #709 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Hardware based dimming schemes such as employed by the HU8550 can be effective. Video based dimming schemes (frame/global dimming) are not.

It's all explained in depth by Geoffrey Morrison with this article LED local dimming explained

One of the things I think I'm going to like about the P series is that the LEDs behind the side and horizontal bars should be completely shut off.
Indeed; perhaps we forget that a passer-by in this thread may not have the background in all the various dimming schemes (and their relative merits). The point is that even a good edge lit, hardware-based scheme has a certain "ceiling" in performance that full-array schemes can best by more precisely and more evenly lighting their zones.
post #710 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm interested in both the E and the M series TVs. Between the E60 and the M55 (both 2014 models) which has the better PQ? It seems like the E60 has the best panel of the E series, but is it better than the M55?

Marantz SR5007 | KEF R500 | Panasonic P50ST50
post #711 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After waiting months for the M552i-B2 to be released, I finally gave up and bought the M602i-B3 from Costco last Sunday. Came home from work on Monday to find that the TV wouldn't turn on. Tried different outlets, with/without a surge protector, and even a different ac power cord, but nothing worked. Vizio said that they could come out and repair it for free, but I decided to take it back to Costco and get another one. I am very happy with the second set now that it is working.

I did have a couple other minor issues, but they might just be settings that need to be set. When sending YouTube videos from my laptop to the TV, I can't get the sound to output through my Denon AVR. The sound goes only to the TV's speakers and there's no sound if I turn the TV speakers off. I have Digital Audio Out set to bitstream. Am I missing some other setting somewhere?

I played PS4 for the first time on the new TV last night and it seemed like every couple minutes it would kind of refresh the input on the TV. The screen flashed black and showed the TV input at the top of the screen, just like it does when you normally change the input. Thought it could be a loose or bad HDMI cable, so I switched to the one from the cable box and still got the same issue. I've never seen this happen while watching cable or when I have my laptop connected via HDMI through the AVR. It only happens when playing the PS4, which is also connected through the AVR. Has anyone else had this same issue?

Thanks for the help!
post #712 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
M602i-b3 stand installation screws

Hi, can someone help me with the installation of the stand for the 60 inch? There's 2 sets of screws. One set has a washer, and the other set doesn't. Which set goes BEHIND the stand, and which set of screws goes UNDERNEATH the stand.

The manual (SPANISH on BOTH SIDES) has a picture of the screws with measurement, but both pictures look the same!

Went online for the PDF for the english version, same deal.
post #713 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
"The processor on the tv seems to be slow."
That's why there is a problem of lag.

post #714 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Great uniformity, virtually no light bleed issues except for minimal blooming and overall LCD flagship level PQ and yet some are worried about viewing angles and I have yet to see any credible evidence they're worse than average (edit: among other VA panels). "Worry is like interest paid in advance on a debt that never comes due" The Spanish Prisoner
well said.
post #715 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I probably shouldn't post with a belly full of bourbon but I'm thinking for the price, the 65" can't be beat and if the motion is crappy during football I'll just flip the MBR on. Hell, I'll be drinking beers and stuff anyways so I seriously doubt I'm going to be squinting through an overly critical eye.

Happy Saturday everyone.
post #716 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Depends on how well MBR works. In my 2013 e series the motion smoothing works good in general, but small objects like baseballs and footballs actually look worse with it on.
post #717 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguana Man View Post
I probably shouldn't post with a belly full of bourbon but I'm thinking for the price, the 65" can't be beat and if the motion is crappy during football I'll just flip the MBR on. Hell, I'll be drinking beers and stuff anyways so I seriously doubt I'm going to be squinting through an overly critical eye.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Happy Saturday to you! I would just engage SME for football games and turn it off for movies. When I had the 2013 M series I found on the low setting it looked a lot more natural than it did on the Samsung D7000 I had.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #718 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drameddie View Post
Hi, can someone help me with the installation of the stand for the 60 inch? There's 2 sets of screws. One set has a washer, and the other set doesn't. Which set goes BEHIND the stand, and which set of screws goes UNDERNEATH the stand.

The manual (SPANISH on BOTH SIDES) has a picture of the screws with measurement, but both pictures look the same!

Just went through the same thing last night. The ones with the washer goes to the TV. Tried to use them underneath the base and they stick out past the rubber pads. The ones with the washer seemed too short. Tried a couple of different things and no joy. Even used a flashlight to make sure the holes were lined up,

When my neighbor and I put it face down on the side of the bed that did the trick. I used a clean, soft throw on the bedspread and we gently lowered it. The shift in weight made it a breeze.

Hope this helps.
post #719 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
[quote=herfavoritedj;24968817]
Quote:
All this discussion of viewing angles ...
Moving from a 55"" 2012 Vizio Razor (edge lit) LED to the M602i-B3, there is a much more pronounced color fade at viewing angles of greater than 30 degrees from center. With that being said, the PQ on the M602i-B3 is clearly superior. You can't have it all at this price point - but the M602i-B3 comes pretty close.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #720 of 2098 Old 06-14-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Putting it down on a bedspread did what trick?

Did you end up having washer screws on back and the other screws on the bottom? I ended up doing that.

Also I was on live chat with them for 30 minutes and they told me washers go on bottom. When I spoke to them again telling them that the washer screws don't work on the bottom that couldn't help and said they will have support contact me later.

Possible we got sent wrong set of screws since it doesn't match the picture and both are the same length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drameddie View Post

Just went through the same thing last night. The ones with the washer goes to the TV. Tried to use them underneath the base and they stick out past the rubber pads. The ones with the washer seemed too short. Tried a couple of different things and no joy. Even used a flashlight to make sure the holes were lined up,

When my neighbor and I put it face down on the side of the bed that did the trick. I used a clean, soft throw on the bedspread and we gently lowered it. The shift in weight made it a breeze.

Hope this helps.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page