AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin190 View Post
Hey Jeff,

I'm having the same problems with the Cnet settings too. Every other setting ahs way too much red for my taste. I ended up using vivid I think and then changing the color temparture.
That's the problem with using settings generated from another tv. Unless your tv is close, if not exact, to the calibrated tv's component specs, your pq is going to be off or just plain bad. Copying another's settings may be a way to help dial in your tv, and give you a little experience of how the various settings relate to each other, but to truly adjust your tv's components for your viewing environment, you need to adjust your own settings by either using a calibration disk for accurate adjustments or perform a real calibration with light meters, pattern generating software, and a graphical representation of what it was beforehand and after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlink View Post
That's why I got the TV. Maybe someone on here With lots of experience adjusting these TVs will get a 55. I might try and do a side by side comparison with the two sets to show the differance.. I'll post the pictures if I do.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsk7 View Post
That's why I got the TV. Maybe someone on here With lots of experience adjusting these TVs will get a 55. I might try and do a side by side comparison with the two sets to show the differance.. I'll post the pictures if I do.
I would definitely recommend using the WOW disc as a start to see if it results in improved PQ. The settings used by Katz on CNET are likely not going to deliver the same results on your panel due to variations between models of different sizes (CNET reviewed the 60" if I remember correctly) as well as even production variability between panels of the same size.

What are the deficits you are seeing in your new Vizio relative to your plasma?

It also might be helpful if you included the model number of your new Vizio.

Infinity Modulus 7.1
PN64F8500 (impending delivery!)
TH-42PX60U
STR-DN1030
PS4, PS3, TiVo HD, Roku 3 & Chromecast
PSN ID: Kranin
Old 06-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I would definitely recommend using the WOW disc as a start to see if it results in improved PQ. The settings used by Katz on CNET are likely not going to deliver the same results on your panel due to variations between models of different sizes (CNET reviewed the 60" if I remember correctly) as well as even production variability between panels of the same size.

M552i-b2 is the model. I'm not sure if I can accurately explain the difference because I don't know the proper terminology. I would say the picture is washed out and not vibrant??? The color reproduction is just not there. The old plasma looked so much closer to real life color. The vizio looks black and white with little color (CNET settings). Vibrant looks okay so I'm going to tweak it tonight and see what happens. Also it should be brighter than the plasma correct? Because it sure doesn't seem like it. Black levels do seem good!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well folks, I'm glad to report a happy outcome so far in this shadowy banding issue on my day-old M652i-B2.

I contacted Vizio at lunch, they had me troubleshoot and send in pics. The lady was very professional, and very patient with me while I uploaded the pics. At first I sent her the pics I had posted on this thread, but she asked for 1 more, specifically of the Vizio apps in full-screen mode. Talk about a Godsend -- I practically thanked her, as that picture demonstrated the problem very clearly.

http://i.imgur.com/68NBimm.jpg

Anyways, she put me back on hold (this call took about 45 mins, but was worth it), and came back to let me know that A) this shouldn't be happening, and B) they would be replacing my TV with a brand new replacement (I told her thanks, that I would've pitched a fit if she had said REPAIR), and that the delivery people will come pick the old one up at the time that they deliver the new one.

This is exactly what I had hoped for, and I'm hoping that the replacement will fall more in line with what other reviewers have said about this unit (ie. CNET).

This is my first Vizio TV, and to be honest, I was skeptical, as I had really only known the brand back when they made really crappy TVs, and weren't really competing on quality, but instead on price. Anyways, I think their support was excellent (they did say Award Winning on the box, and I've heard good things), and I'm looking forward to the replacement model. For now though, I'm just going to enjoy 25 extra inches of TV for the next week or so, even if it's got terrible bands going across it.

Last edited by nickmv; 06-25-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey nickmv, did you order yours through Vizio or someone else?
Old 06-25-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguana Man View Post
Hey nickmv, did you order yours through Vizio or someone else?
Straight from Vizio.

I wanted it via Amazon, but their site said 2-4 wks, and the support rep told me they didn't even have in any in stock (this was last Monday).

Anyways, turns out that Amazon wanted tax for my state (TN) in the form of $150. Needless to say, Vizio.com was by far the best deal for me.

I'm kinda glad I did it this way. If I had gotten it from Costco, Best Buy, etc, I would have to deal with boxing it back up and exchanging it. Instead, I just have to wait til next week and someone will do it for me.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:00 PM

That's a helluva good reason to buy through Vizio. Not sure what Amazon would require of me as far as repackaging is concerned if by chance it had to be returned.

Sigh.... one more thing to consider.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 68
@Iguana Man

According to Amazon's Enhanced Delivery policy.

Quote:
"You can keep all the packaging materials or request the specialty shipper to dispose of these materials for you. You don't need to save the packaging materials at the time of delivery. If you choose to return an item after the specialty carrier has left and disposed of the packaging, the carrier will return to collect the item without requiring you to provide any packaging material."
Old 06-25-2014, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got an email from Amazon saying my 65" M has shipped. Being delivered on Monday the 30th.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
@Iguana Man

According to Amazon's Enhanced Delivery policy.
This is why I love Amazon Prime.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just placed my order for the 49" M Series on Amazon. Will have it by Friday. Can't wait!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Amazon's delivering my 65" Monday.

Is there a quick Youtube video to screen for dead pixels, dirty screen effects, blooming all in one video? I'd like to test them all before the delivery guy leaves.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPH View Post

Is there a quick Youtube video to screen for dead pixels, dirty screen effects, blooming all in one video? I'd like to test them all before the delivery guy leaves.
I highly doubt they're going to stick around for that. I assume they're well aware of what's in there contract - plug it in and make sure the screen is on, get packaging material, then leave. They're not there to make sure your 65" doesn't have a dead pixel, they have other deliveries to do. Respect their time.
Ph8te likes this.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:

If you go to the plasma section and search for "break in slides" you'll find a link to download solid color slides. These should be able to show you any dead pixels or defects in the screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2014, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Best Option for Ordering

I have to decide between Amazon, Vizio or possible Sams Club, BJs locally.

Are there any pros or cons to either of these choices?

Amazon charges taxes to my state.

Vizio doesnt charge taxes but shipping

Sams Club or BJ's would be easier to returrn

Any other pros or cons
Old 06-25-2014, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Well, the M422i that I have is going back as the remote keeps losing contact and now the wifi cannot find the router no matter what I try. To be fair to Amazon they didn't quibble and have just sent a new one to replace it, so will be my 3rd one in two weeks!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1976 View Post

Any other pros or cons
Another pro to Sams Club or BJs would be that you should be able to inspect the box for damage before committing to an order. With Vizio and Amazon you're at the mercy of the trucking company. Also, you don't have to take time off from work waiting for the delivery. And if you reject the delivery you have to take more time off for the next scheduled delivery.

Edit: This is assuming you would have a vehicle capable of transporting the TV. If not you could rent a truck for a couple of hours. You may have no control on how the TV gets to the retailer but you do from the retailer to your residence.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer

Last edited by venus933; 06-25-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Firmware updates

Could someone please tell me how to find out what version firmware is on the set? I want to make a note of it so I can check from time to time to see if there has been an update. I don't know if they let you know when new firmware is uploaded.

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:

The Disney WOW disc will not fix your picture as far as colors and saturation are concerned. It will help you setup your black levels and contrast. If your TV has a red tint, or a blue tint or whatever tint, nothing is going to fix that without a meter.

I just don't want people to think if they run out and get the WOW disc they will now be able to calibrate their TV. Your TV will still have whatever tint it had are bad colors, you will just be able to make sure your picture is not crushing blacks or clipping whites.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Here is how an amazon delivery goes:

Billy Bob will call your from some cell phone that doesnt have a company listed in the caller id, telling you they are 20min out.
White van made of awesome pulls up.
They unload tv in any room in the house
They lean tv against something (they are not allowed to install base or hook up cables)
They plug power into it.
They turn it on with the remote
They check for blue screen (aka set powers up)
They ask if you want the box

Thats it, done in five minutes. This is not white glove. You will not have time to check for dead pixesl, uneven backlighting, etc. At best you might be able to hook up an hdmi cable before they leave.

The check boxes are:
unbox set and check for damage
plug set in and has blue screen
remote works
offer to take packaging

PS:
These got me started, it got rid of the super blue, and surprisingly got the brightness/contrast correct
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ture-settings/

So far no complaints on the m602i-b3. On pure white screen you can see the backlight structure a little, but Its still better than the best edge lit set ive seen, and hella better than any set ive seen for light bleed. Fade to black is just jaw dropping, along with 2.35 black bars. I cant tell where the black plastic starts and the black bars end.

" Quality does not matter to most of the Bose buying public." - Lasher

Last edited by Nightanole; 06-26-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightanole View Post
Here is how an amazon delivery goes:

Billy Bob will call your from some cell phone that doesnt have a company listed in the caller id, telling you they are 20min out.
White van made of awesome pulls up.
They unload tv in any room in the house
They lean tv against something (they are not allowed to install base or hook up cables)
They plug power into it.
They turn it on with the remote
They check for blue screen (aka set powers up)
They ask if you want the box

Thats it, done in five minutes. This is not white glove. You will not have time to check for dead pixesl, uneven backlighting, etc. At best you might be able to hook up an hdmi cable before they leave.

The check boxes are:
unbox set and check for damage
plug set in and has blue screen
remote works
offer to take packaging
I've had my E601i-A3 and my E550i-B2 both purchased on Amazon, and both times CEVA was the delivery company. Both times went the same way for me: They called about 20 minutes ahead, two men came into the house, unpacked the sets, assembled the base, batteried up the remote, plugged in ALL the cables for me, turned the set on, demonstrated all connected inputs, offered to take the packaging, and asked me to sign off. I couldn't have asked more from CEVA.

This was my experience in South Florida; YMMV.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo3 View Post
I've had my E601i-A3 and my E550i-B2 both purchased on Amazon, and both times CEVA was the delivery company. Both times went the same way for me: They called about 20 minutes ahead, two men came into the house, unpacked the sets, assembled the base, batteried up the remote, plugged in ALL the cables for me, turned the set on, demonstrated all connected inputs, offered to take the packaging, and asked me to sign off. I couldn't have asked more from CEVA.

This was my experience in South Florida; YMMV.
Yes, it definitely will vary. I had 2 TV's delivered from Amazon. One delivery they asked if I wanted them to set it up and they did. Powered it on, got a picture on the TV and chatted with the drivers for a few minutes.

Second delivery was one guy, lifted the box off the top and plugged it in. I had a friend with me the second time so I didn't need the help setting it up otherwise I might have asked for a hand. Just know the driver is not required to set it up for you so if they do go out of there way for you make sure to show your appreciation with a tip.

The take away from this is that every experience will be different but just know what Amazon actually requires from the drivers is not what I would consider white glove service.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
The Disney WOW disc will not fix your picture as far as colors and saturation are concerned. It will help you setup your black levels and contrast. If your TV has a red tint, or a blue tint or whatever tint, nothing is going to fix that without a meter.

I just don't want people to think if they run out and get the WOW disc they will now be able to calibrate their TV. Your TV will still have whatever tint it had are bad colors, you will just be able to make sure your picture is not crushing blacks or clipping whites.
For someone who has purchased a panel at the Vizio M-Series price point WOW is a great place to start for basic color calibration...please see the following quote by the sage, Scott Wilkinson:

"This question pertains only to "basic" calibration (or what I tend to call "setup" to distinguish it from full grayscale and color calibration), and I agree that the Disney disc is great for that."
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...isc-do-you-use

Full professional calibration is always going to be vastly superior...but if someone isn't prepared to pay for a full competent calibration then WOW is vastly superior to what you get out of the box.

Infinity Modulus 7.1
TH-42PX60U
STR-DN1030
Old 06-26-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1976 View Post

Any other pros or cons
If you can go get it right now, inspect, transport, and install yourself, why would you ever order it online?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For someone who has purchased a panel at the Vizio M-Series price point WOW is a great place to start for basic color calibration...please see the following quote by the sage, Scott Wilkinson:

"This question pertains only to "basic" calibration (or what I tend to call "setup" to distinguish it from full grayscale and color calibration), and I agree that the Disney disc is great for that."
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...isc-do-you-use

Full professional calibration is always going to be vastly superior...but if someone isn't prepared to pay for a full competent calibration then WOW is vastly superior to what you get out of the box.
You are not doing any color calibration with the WOW disc. Any color settings need to be done with a meter and there is no way around that. Brightness, contrast, sharpness and tint with the blue glasses but usually the tint setting is already correct from the factory.

Don't kid yourself, you are not fixing any color issues with this disc alone. You can't.

I am not saying the disc isn't good to have, I own it but let's not give people false hope thinking it will fix their color issues.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
You are not doing any color calibration with the WOW disc. Any color settings need to be done with a meter and there is no way around that. Brightness, contrast, sharpness and tint with the blue glasses but usually the tint setting is already correct from the factory.

Don't kid yourself, you are not fixing any color issues with this disc alone. You can't.

I am not saying the disc isn't good to have, I own it but let's not give people false hope thinking it will fix their color issues.
So you are saying that there is no color benefit to using a calibration disc if you don't have sensors & meters?

I didn't think that was the case.

Infinity Modulus 7.1
TH-42PX60U
STR-DN1030
Old 06-26-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So you are saying that there is no color benefit to using a calibration disc if you don't have sensors & meters?

I didn't think that was the case.
That is correct. It will not have any benefit on colors. It will benefit other aspects of your picture though.

Now, sometimes with certain TV's if your contrast is set to high it might have an effect on your grey scale and raising you contrast will start to add pink hues to your whites. But again, this is just calibrating your contrast levels. Without a meter you are never touching any color, white balance or gamma settings. This is not something that can be set by eye. You need a meter for that. No if, ands or buts.

Last edited by eric3316; 06-26-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
That is correct. It will not have any benefit on colors. It will benefit other aspects of your picture though.

Now, sometimes with certain TV's if your contrast is set to high it might have an effect on your grey scale and raising you contrast will start to add pink hues to your whites. But again, this is just calibrating your contrast levels. Without a meter you are never touching any color, white balance or gamma settings. This is not something that can be set by eye. You need a meter for that. No if, ands or buts.

It seems some higher end sets (Panasonic, Sony, Samsung) have a lot better calibration right out of the box. Not saying these sets wouldn't benefit from getting calibrated by a certified calibrator but these sets come a lot closer to ISF standards. So it'll be interesting to see if the P series has better color accuracy right out of the box then the M series.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've heard that in-home ISF Calibration cost $250-350. I could see paying that if I got a large high-end unit, but since I'm looking to get the M422 due to size constraints, I can't see spending that price for calibrating a set that is only $530.