Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #1081 of 1594 Old 07-03-2014, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Picked up the 2014 55"M today at Costco in Coon Rapids MN. They had several available sitting on a pallet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1594 Old 07-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Snagged the last in stock M60 my local Sam's Club last night. So far really impressed with it considering it's an LED. FALD is a must have. And everyone is pretty sure it's a 10 bit Sharp panel, so that's awesome.

Now if someone would be so kind as to tell me how to force a 120hz input? =)
post #1083 of 1594 Old 07-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
do the new vizio's support dolby digital out? going to be picking up the 55" next week and want to make sure I can make use of the vizio 5.1 sound bar with a dish box and xbox one.
post #1084 of 1594 Old 07-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by protopip3 View Post
do the new vizio's support dolby digital out? going to be picking up the 55" next week and want to make sure I can make use of the vizio 5.1 sound bar with a dish box and xbox one.
The M552i (and all of the M series, so far as I know), outputs 5.1 over Optical and HDMI channels.
post #1085 of 1594 Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajeffm View Post
The M552i (and all of the M series, so far as I know), outputs 5.1 over Optical and HDMI channels.
nice! I can't wait to pick it up!
post #1086 of 1594 Old 07-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Liked: 0
I've been researching 60" LEDs for the past few weeks and found the info on AVS to be very helpful. So, I thought I would post my experience here in case it helps anyone else looking at Vizio.

I was considering 60" models by Samsung and LG but finally decided on the M602i-B3 which I got today at Costco. Got it home, setup and working with Netflix in about 15 minutes, watched a bit of Start Trek Into Darkness this afternoon and was blown away! The black levels were everything I hoped they would be and that was right out of the box. I'm getting ready to do some calibration with DVE and watch some blu-ray disks to check things further, but so far it is looking great.
post #1087 of 1594 Old 07-03-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by protopip3 View Post
I talked to the GM at a Best Buy near me, and he said they are getting a shipment of the new Vizio's 49" and up next Wed.
I'm really hoping Costco has them in stock by the time I get home from vacation in a week.

So far I think only one person on AVS has a 49"er and he's not doing anything with it because of a wall-mount problem.
I'm dying to see how the 49" panel performs.
post #1088 of 1594 Old 07-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I caved in and ordered a 49" M series from Amazon today with a Saturday delivery. I've been without a bedroom television since last September and I convinced myself that I don't need the P series for a secondary television. I feel a little apprehensive at the moment since I've been one one the biggest cheerleaders of the M and P series and I would hate to end up not liking it.

Outside of the horrible blooming and light bleeding issues I thought the 2013 M series was a pretty slick television so I'm fairly optimistic. The low setting for SME was quite natural to my eyes, audio was decent for internal speakers, VIA apps plus was well designed being responsive and performance was great. I know Amazon VOD will be the newer full screen version though I may have to wait for it with my particular unit. I'll have no issues with the furnish remote since it will never be used by me.

I'm just hoping I agree with Katzmaier on shadow detail, uniformity and vanquishing blooming. I'm also hoping color accuracy isn't way off on my unit.

I'm still hoping to replace my 60" Samsung with a 70" P series somewhere down the line.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer

Last edited by venus933; 07-03-2014 at 08:10 PM.
post #1089 of 1594 Old 07-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post
I'm really hoping Costco has them in stock by the time I get home from vacation in a week.

So far I think only one person on AVS has a 49"er and he's not doing anything with it because of a wall-mount problem.
This Saturday it should be at least 2 persons.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #1090 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Can you see it with normal content if you for look for it? Or are you just seeing it with solid color screens. If you can barely notice it, it may be something you either "live" with it or return it for another or different TV. Sometimes looking for issues with a fine tooth comb can make things irreversible to you and you may always see it now.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
When I test for vertical banding, alls I do is pop in Fifa 14 on my PS4 and kick the ball across the screen. I saw like 4 bands... then I go into WoW and I see where those bands are behind a grey screen just to confirm they are bands not some sort of fast action smoothing defect.

Honestly, I think anyone who knew what vertical banding was would notice it. It's annoying.

*I'd like to add my Samsung F800 had like just 1 band and thats easy to deal with, but like 4 bands across the screen is so annoying. My Samsung HU8550, which I gave to my dad for father's day has NONE. It was insane. I never played such a nice game of fifa, lol. I can deal with 1 or maybe 2 bands that arent too significant, but 4 bands just spread out equally and 1 huge one in the middle is so annoying. I will go for a replacement in a few weeks after Amazon has gone through some stock

Last edited by konigsberg7; 07-04-2014 at 12:48 AM.
post #1091 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 02:47 AM

Woah has anyone tried the http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ture-settings/ on their 65 inch. On mine the colors seem so way off, it's insane. Someone who wasn't even knowledgeable of such things would say, what the hell is wrong with the color on this TV. I've used CNET's calibrations by David K. and they are always accurate and maybe sometimes a bit off due to different panel versions but NOT THIS OFF.

*Also in the article he mentions the tuning was bugged in a way that 10 percent represented 20 percent. I also tried that too, offsetting each values for each color

I'm going for replacement #3

Last edited by konigsberg7; 07-04-2014 at 04:18 AM.
post #1092 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomsey View Post
It's lag time in milliseconds.

If you play fast twitch games competitively (First Person Shooters primarily), then lag time will be important. You'll probably be fine with the "average" level input lag from the M series otherwise.
60 M has been fine when playing Xbox One. And I haven't even been using it in Game mode. I have not noticed any lag issues.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #1093 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigsberg7 View Post
Woah has anyone tried the http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ture-settings/ on their 65 inch. On mine the colors seem so way off, it's insane. Someone who wasn't even knowledgeable of such things would say, what the hell is wrong with the color on this TV. I've used CNET's calibrations by David K. and they are always accurate and maybe sometimes a bit off due to different panel versions but NOT THIS OFF.

*Also in the article he mentions the tuning was bugged in a way that 10 percent represented 20 percent. I also tried that too, offsetting each values for each color

This time around the panels are very different so it makes sense the same settings don't work out as well.
post #1094 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremygary View Post
60 M has been fine when playing Xbox One. And I haven't even been using it in Game mode. I have not noticed any lag issues.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Unfortunately I cannot say the same. When playing first person shooters I can notice a decent amount of lag. For those of you that are sensitive to such a thing I would still recommend buying the Vizio. Once game mode is on it becomes much tighter and lag is near negligible. Even with game mode on the picture is still excellent. Just wanted to throw in my two cents for the gamers out there.
post #1095 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Picked up 55" from Costco on Monday and am trying to optimize picture adjustments. Not satisfied at all with presets (i.e., standard, calibrated, computer, etc.) as the colors/images are quite artificial looking. Quite a step down from my old Pioneer Elite (720p, 50 inch) out of the box. I think many of you have suggested a calibrating disk and that is my next step. No calibrating service available here in Bozman Montana that I can find. Seems the consensus is that variance in the panels makes copying others' values will not work, must adjust individually. However, would much appreciate any comments from 55inch owners on their experiences.

Had a strange effect when watching a non blue-ray DVD of a British television series (most recent New Tricks series) with intense blurring with any motion. Tried a number of adjustments and couldn't get the effect to cease. I will test on my other TV to confirm no DVD quality issue but this is quite concerning. Couldn't believe this much technical quality (FALD, etc.) in a 55 inch monitor at the price but perhaps too good to be true? Thanks in advance for any help.
post #1096 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Well...finally got my 49" M Series hung up on the wall yesterday. I had to have a second mount sent from Amazon after I realized the studs in the fireplace wall were 24" on center, not the usual 16" on center. Also, the electrician that was going to wire an outlet behind the new tv isn't available until next week. So, that's the reason there are wires all over the place in the picture below. I also mounted a Vizio S4221w-C4 sound bar below the new tv.

jasenj1 likes this.
post #1097 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow1994 View Post
Well...finally got my 49" M Series hung up on the wall yesterday. I had to have a second mount sent from Amazon after I realized the studs in the fireplace wall were 24" on center, not the usual 16" on center. Also, the electrician that was going to wire an outlet behind the new tv isn't available until next week. So, that's the reason there are wires all over the place in the picture below. I also mounted a Vizio S4221w-C4 sound bar below the new tv.
I have a 49" coming tomorrow (unless weather delays departure from TN), any initial comments on PQ? Thanks.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #1098 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panjj View Post
Picked up 55" from Costco on Monday and am trying to optimize picture adjustments. Not satisfied at all with presets (i.e., standard, calibrated, computer, etc.) as the colors/images are quite artificial looking. Quite a step down from my old Pioneer Elite (720p, 50 inch) out of the box. I think many of you have suggested a calibrating disk and that is my next step. No calibrating service available here in Bozman Montana that I can find. Seems the consensus is that variance in the panels makes copying others' values will not work, must adjust individually. However, would much appreciate any comments from 55inch owners on their experiences.

Had a strange effect when watching a non blue-ray DVD of a British television series (most recent New Tricks series) with intense blurring with any motion. Tried a number of adjustments and couldn't get the effect to cease. I will test on my other TV to confirm no DVD quality issue but this is quite concerning. Couldn't believe this much technical quality (FALD, etc.) in a 55 inch monitor at the price but perhaps too good to be true? Thanks in advance for any help.
Have you tried other DVDs to see if they also have blurring? Do you have a Netflix account?, just wondering if you notice blurring on non HD titles. Hard to believe intense blurring would be normal on anything that's not HD? Have you engaged SME? Thanks in advance.

Samsung PN60E7000
post #1099 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow1994 View Post

And.... How is it??☺
post #1100 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
I have a 49" coming tomorrow (unless weather delays departure from TN), any initial comments on PQ? Thanks.
So far, I've only watched HD cable in the "Standard" picture mode and I think the PQ is great. I was looking for an affordable hdtv to hang above our fireplace to watch when we don't want to go to the "Man Cave" downstairs and this unit surely fits the bill. My wife and I were watching an MLB game earlier and she commented on how colorful the reds and blues in the uniforms were and I noticed immediately how dark the umpire uniforms looked, even though it was a bright, sunny day out. I'm not a videophile, so I can't get into all the technical terms, but I can tell you that I am enjoying the picture on this HDTV immensely.
jasenj1 and venus933 like this.
post #1101 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Liked: 20
Has anyone ordered online from Walmart? I know Amazon has better service, but I have the money in PayPal and I don't feel like waiting the three days to transfer it. Wondering if ordering from them is a good idea... I'm int he market for the 55" M series
post #1102 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigsberg7 View Post

You are exchanging a TV just because someone else's settings do not look right on your set???

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #1103 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 03:30 PM

I just set up my Vizio M492.

My remote is good. I do not have to be close to the sensor as I tried it from about 8ft away on the left hand side of the TV behind a desk.
PQ is good. Blacks are good. Bright.

The only gripe is no browser. And a small bruise as the box seemed to go through hell.
post #1104 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHomsey View Post
It's lag time in milliseconds.

If you play fast twitch games competitively (First Person Shooters primarily), then lag time will be important. You'll probably be fine with the "average" level input lag from the M series otherwise.
Why does everybody say input lag is only important for 'shooters' primarily. it's important for every genre except maybe turn based RPG's where you're selecting items from a screen.
I play a LOT of platformers and the like and 41ms will definitely make your character feel clunkier, heavier and not on the dime resulting in a less fun, less fluid, less intuitive and slower experience. 41ms would suck for fighters. I owned an older LG LCD that was clocked in at 46ms and i couldn't stand to game on it for that reason alone(Ahem, aside from lack luster blacks) I don't know how much lag the other panels have in the M series, but so far the Vizio E 55"(B2 panel) has the M beat at 27ms with Active LED lights/local dimming disabled.
RyanHomsey likes this.
post #1105 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post
You are exchanging a TV just because someone else's settings do not look right on your set???
No, thats just something I noticed. I'm getting a 2nd replacement because my original and current replacement has vertical banding. If Amazon fails again, how is the customer service if you buy it straight from the Vizio site?

Whats their rules on replacements, fixes, and do they even check the TV before they send it to you and do they do a white glove delivery sort of thing?
post #1106 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post
Why does everybody say input lag is only important for 'shooters' primarily. it's important for every genre except maybe turn based RPG's where you're selecting items from a screen.
I play a LOT of platformers and the like and 41ms will definitely make your character feel clunkier, heavier and not on the dime resulting in a less fun, less fluid, less intuitive and slower experience. 41ms would suck for fighters. I owned an older LG LCD that was clocked in at 46ms and i couldn't stand to game on it for that reason alone(Ahem, aside from lack luster blacks) I don't know how much lag the other panels have in the M series, but so far the Vizio E 55"(B2 panel) has the M beat at 27ms with Active LED lights/local dimming disabled.
Excuse my newbness, but I'm in the market for a 55" Vizio, and gaming will be an important factor. Is the PQ very noticeable between the M and E series?
post #1107 of 1594 Old 07-04-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Have you tried other DVDs to see if they also have blurring? Do you have a Netflix account?, just wondering if you notice blurring on non HD titles. Hard to believe intense blurring would be normal on anything that's not HD? Have you engaged SME? Thanks in advance.

Apparently motion issue was just with that episode, next episode did not exhibit the motion blurring.
Incidentally, I am using the "computer" setting until I get a calibration disc and it is acceptable.
Incidentally 2, I was going to mount the 55" on the wall but decided not to try given a radon pipe exhaust goes up that wall and didn't want to risk any issues. I purchased a Bell'o stereo unit (called 3 way) that has the option to mount the TV on a bar rising from the back of the unit. Worked quite well and looks great. You can adjust the height and made it easy for me to place a rather tall Mirage center channel beneath the TV with plenty of room for receiver, DVR, Blur-ray player and router/modem.

Still have my fingers crossed that after calibration I will have a much more acceptable color balance. I purchased this as a cost effective alternative until the OLED options come down in price.
post #1108 of 1594 Old 07-05-2014, 12:01 AM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayenn View Post
Excuse my newbness, but I'm in the market for a 55" Vizio, and gaming will be an important factor. Is the PQ very noticeable between the M and E series?
Those who have owned both have said that the M is a significant step-up from the E.
post #1109 of 1594 Old 07-05-2014, 05:36 AM

I need a LED for my bedroom and I was considering the Vizio 49 inch set. How is the audio on the Vizio? I already have a Sony W900 and an older Toshiba.
post #1110 of 1594 Old 07-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaque Flag View Post
Those who have owned both have said that the M is a significant step-up from the E.
Great, thanks for the help. I've tried to look for info on why the M series is better without much success. In fact, most reviews that I've found so far say that the PQ is pretty much the same. Could you elaborate a bit more and tell me why the PQ on the M series is better? Also, is there a way to disable wi-fi? Does the calibration get thrown off EVERY TIME Vizio decides to update the firmware? That seems like an awful lot of work.. imagine, each time you put all that time and work into calibrating it and it gets reset countless times. The whole idea of a smart TV doesn't appeal to me AT ALL. Not only due to the latency, but like I mentioned, the fact that your settings get reset... it just seems ass backwards. And I don't care for the apps etc. I have an HTPC hooked up to it, so it would all be redundant anyway, especially since the Vizio doesn't even have a browser for the apps.

TY
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page