85Likes

post #1141 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Personally I wouldn't do this while it is easy, I'd then have to update all of re devices that connect to my network which would be more work than blocking the site or setting up rules. It's also easier to just reset the TV and not set up wifi

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
I understand what you mean, but most people have no idea how to block a site, or set up rules. Also, most people don't have that many wifi devices, and even if they did, it takes very little time to type in a password when the device asks for it.

Or just do a factory reset on the tv, and skip network setup, when you go through startup setup.

But people don't want to have to redo all their picture settings. So, they want to avoid factory reset.
Ph8te likes this.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 19tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2

Last edited by iceblast; 07-07-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
I understand what you mean, but most people have no idea how to block a site, or set up rules. Also, most people don't have that many wifi devices, and even if they did, it takes very little time to type in a password when the device asks for it.

Or just do a factory reset on the tv, and skip network setup, when you go through startup setup.

With the simple passwords most use, yes it's easy to reset or change I agree the suggestions I gave are more advanced

I think the easiest way to "block" is to factory reset and just skip network/wifi setup. Hopefully Vizio changes the way this functions for users who want more control. I don't care that they "force" updates, but try should give an easier option (turn off auto updates with a default of on, ability to turn off wifi, etc). Either should be able to be added via a firmware update.

post #1143 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So Sam's club by me has the M 49" in stock. Anyone have good/bad things to say about picking this up from Sam's club instead of amazon?

The only downsides I see is that the 4-year square trade warranty on the TV is twice as expensive at sams club compared to amazon, and I loose out on 3% cashback.

Are there any bullet proof reasons to buy this locally from your collective experiences?

Thanks,
Flutie98

Last edited by flutie98; 07-07-2014 at 10:51 AM.
post #1144 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Just buy the warranty elsewhere. You can get one from Costco for under 100$ I believe

post #1145 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Costco Square Trade warranty is $30 for TVs under $500, $60 for $500-1000, and $90 for >$1000.
Ph8te and rogersmj like this.

Living room: Definitive BP2000TL, CLR3000, BPVX, Quad SI 18" subs
Bedroom: Definitive BP30, CLR2000 Also have had: BP7000SC, BP8B, BP10B, BPX, Dayton 15" HF subs, Rythmik F15
post #1146 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 AM

Hmm, now that I read this page http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...productDetails
Looks like I can just buy the warranty from amazon even if i dont buy the tv from them (didnt think about that option...)
I'm not a member of costco nor is there one near me, can you purchase online without membership?
post #1147 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes to both questions.

post #1148 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by panjj View Post
Picked up 55" from Costco on Monday and am trying to optimize picture adjustments. Not satisfied at all with presets (i.e., standard, calibrated, computer, etc.) as the colors/images are quite artificial looking. Quite a step down from my old Pioneer Elite (720p, 50 inch) out of the box. I think many of you have suggested a calibrating disk and that is my next step. No calibrating service available here in Bozman Montana that I can find. Seems the consensus is that variance in the panels makes copying others' values will not work, must adjust individually. However, would much appreciate any comments from 55inch owners on their experiences.

Had a strange effect when watching a non blue-ray DVD of a British television series (most recent New Tricks series) with intense blurring with any motion. Tried a number of adjustments and couldn't get the effect to cease. I will test on my other TV to confirm no DVD quality issue but this is quite concerning. Couldn't believe this much technical quality (FALD, etc.) in a 55 inch monitor at the price but perhaps too good to be true? Thanks in advance for any help.
Yes I mentioned I previously had a 2008 Sammy plasma 720 p 50 inch display. I think it looks better even in a lit room. I have got my settings looking a little better on the vizio 55m, but I'm not convinced its going to look that great. Although, I'm not a pro at calibrating. It seems it should be calibrated a lot better out of the box for the price you pay. I'm not giving up yet.
post #1149 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Might be a bit early but wondering if anyone here can tell me (us) which screen has the least amount of glare/gloss--the 60 or the 65? I plan on getting one or the other-just waiting to here more about the 65! Personally haven't laid eyes on either here in B.F. MN... Thanks
post #1150 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremygary View Post
If I make changes to picture settings under game mode on the M602i, does it remain in game mode or does it become a custom mode?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Actually if you only tweak picture settings such as color,contrast, brightness etc it will remain in game mode and create a custom setting. This can be verified. Switch to game mode from any preset configuration. You will notice the screen flash as the processing is turned off. If you switch between two non game mode picture settings there will not be a screen flash. Now create your custom game mode as I mentioned above. Again when switching to this new picture setting the screen will flash verifying that game mode is still turned on. With that said you can in fact tweak the game mode settings and save them however if you try to enable or disable settings in the advanced picture settings menu it will more than likely revert back to a non game mode setting. I have not tried it yet so I can't say for sure if it will or not but just wanted to let you know you can create a custom game mode.
post #1151 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the last three days of reading through this entire thread: I have read/skimmed through half the posts in the first day, purchased the M322I-B1 on the second day (from Costco) and caught up to the last post today on the third day.

Initially I was looking to buy a 1440p computer monitor to also use for PS4/XBONE gaming but thought it might not be a good thing to run on a non-native resolution.

In any case, I am so very impressed with the build quality and PQ. I will say though that I am a total noob at all this and am easily impressed. One disappointment would be that right out of the box, 6 keys on the remote control keyboard do not work at all. From what I remember, they are the keys J K L M O and Enter.

Has anyone else noticed any keys not working on their remote control keyboards? To clarify, not working whatsoever.

Last edited by jra716; 07-07-2014 at 07:37 PM.
post #1152 of 1507 Old 07-07-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsk7 View Post
Yes I mentioned I previously had a 2008 Sammy plasma 720 p 50 inch display. I think it looks better even in a lit room. I have got my settings looking a little better on the vizio 55m, but I'm not convinced its going to look that great. Although, I'm not a pro at calibrating. It seems it should be calibrated a lot better out of the box for the price you pay. I'm not giving up yet.

Got the Disney WOW disk today and will attempt calibration tomorrow. If I don't see a significant improvement will have to consider return. However, let me state that it has a good picture, just expecting more. My situation is such that the TV is at a vacation site that I will not return to til next summer (after another month or so) so it is more reasonable to return a very good TV option for a possible big improvement in a year or so. ( Incidentally, I won't rip off the vendor and return it without a significant defect. Don't mean to sound self-righteous but I saw this gambit in another couple of posts and felt the need to comment.)
However, I hope to see more 55 owners post their experiences with picture quality/adjustment to help with this decision. Other aspects of the set (software, canned control/adjustment options, looks, etc.) are very attractive for a price under $1,000. Since there is quite a variation in picture quality from the fixed options (i.e., standard, calibrated bright room, calibrated dark room, game, computer, etc.) I anticipate that more sophisticated calibration will fix my problems. This should (fingers crossed) turn out to be quite a set for under $1k and when OLED comes down the set can be placed in a less traffic setting (game room, etc.) and work quite well. That's the plan anyway.
post #1153 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
does anyone else have any issues with darker grey spots in the corners of their 2014 M series? I've noticed this on my 32 inch, usually during scenes with lighter color backgrounds, and especially on a white background.....greyish clouds in all 4 corners.
post #1154 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panjj View Post
Got the Disney WOW disk today and will attempt calibration tomorrow. If I don't see a significant improvement will have to consider return. However, let me state that it has a good picture, just expecting more. My situation is such that the TV is at a vacation site that I will not return to til next summer (after another month or so) so it is more reasonable to return a very good TV option for a possible big improvement in a year or so. ( Incidentally, I won't rip off the vendor and return it without a significant defect. Don't mean to sound self-righteous but I saw this gambit in another couple of posts and felt the need to comment.)
However, I hope to see more 55 owners post their experiences with picture quality/adjustment to help with this decision. Other aspects of the set (software, canned control/adjustment options, looks, etc.) are very attractive for a price under $1,000. Since there is quite a variation in picture quality from the fixed options (i.e., standard, calibrated bright room, calibrated dark room, game, computer, etc.) I anticipate that more sophisticated calibration will fix my problems. This should (fingers crossed) turn out to be quite a set for under $1k and when OLED comes down the set can be placed in a less traffic setting (game room, etc.) and work quite well. That's the plan anyway.
Great. Please let me know how the disc works out.
post #1155 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
Actually if you only tweak picture settings such as color,contrast, brightness etc it will remain in game mode and create a custom setting.
That stands to reason. I apologize if my previous comment was unclear; generally, game mode lacks processing options, but certainly not color adjustments.

Quote:
This can be verified. Switch to game mode from any preset configuration. You will notice the screen flash as the processing is turned off. If you switch between two non game mode picture settings there will not be a screen flash. Now create your custom game mode as I mentioned above. Again when switching to this new picture setting the screen will flash verifying that game mode is still turned on.
Assuming that's a valid test (could be, but it's hardly as definitive as measuring lag in both cases), another good test would be switching between your custom game mode and the factory one. I would expect no "flash" then as well, since processing is off in both cases. Have you tried that?

Quote:
With that said you can in fact tweak the game mode settings and save them however if you try to enable or disable settings in the advanced picture settings menu it will more than likely revert back to a non game mode setting. I have not tried it yet so I can't say for sure if it will or not but just wanted to let you know you can create a custom game mode.
Sounds about right. I plan on testing this myself, but it raises an interesting question: If you adjust color settings within any of the presets, are you automatically creating a custom setting? My Sammy Plasma doesn't work this way (the pre-set names/slots for configurations remain when you adjust settings, and there's a separate bank for custom settings).
post #1156 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I am buying a new 60-70 inch LED this week. I just left BJs Warehouse. They didn't have the 2014 M series on 65 in but like the picture from the Samsung un60h7100 and I liked the size of the 2013 Vizio 70 inch

Is there a big PQ difference between the Samsung UN60H7100, Vizio 2014 M Series 65in and 2013 Vizio 70 inch?
post #1157 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1976 View Post
I am buying a new 60-70 inch LED this week. I just left BJs Warehouse. They didn't have the 2014 M series on 65 in but like the picture from the Samsung un60h7100 and I liked the size of the 2013 Vizio 70 inch

Is there a big PQ difference between the Samsung UN60H7100, Vizio 2014 M Series 65in and 2013 Vizio 70 inch?
Yeah, more or less 2014 Vizio > Samsung H7100 > 2013 Vizio. There's a post in this forum with a direct comparison between 2014 M series and the H7150, for your edification: Vizio Demo: M Series vs. Samsung H7150
Ph8te likes this.
post #1158 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want 3D the then the 2014 Vizio will not be in contention as none of the 2014
Vizio sets have 3D.

I believe Mark H (imagic) saw a Vizio demonstration between the 7100 and 2014 M and said visually the 2014 M was better. Take it with a grain of salt however since this was not an in depth review and only a manufacturer demo.

Since it looks like you are buying at BJs and not elsewhere your options will be limited. I always say if you can wait, wait to see the choice you want to make and make an informed decision. Otherwise if the 65" M starts to show up next week or the week after and you see it is better than the one you decided on you'll always see that regret when watching the TV you chose early.

post #1159 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM

Liked: 1
Long time lurker, first time poster. I want to thank everyone who posts useful, informed commentary in this forum.

I had wanted to get a 2014 50" this year, but due to the uncertain release schedule for that size, I purchased a 2014 49" M-Series yesterday at Best Buy. Long story short, I'm very pleased. I think most buyers will be happy with this set. I'm coming from a 2013 50" M-Series, which I purchased in February of this year but returned due to horrible backlight bleed in the corners and a screen which was not, in my opinion, bright enough. The 2014 49" M-Series corrects all of the issues I had with the 2013 model. Screen uniformity, while not perfect, is very good. No bleeding in the corners, though, as others have noticed, there is a very slight reduction in brightness in the corners. Personally, it doesn't bother me - the bleeding in the corners of the 2013 series was impossible to ignore, but I don't find the slight darkness in the corners of the 2014 series to really impact viewing at all.

One thing I noticed is that, out of the box, one of the settings causes horrific ghosting. I was initially dismayed as I played around with a few sources on Netflix yesterday, and thought that either the source material was flawed or that Vizio was using terribly laggy displays, and I would have to return it in disappointment. Thankfully, neither turned out to be the case, and the issue seems to have been caused by either the "motion blur reduction", "reduce signal noise" or "reduce block noise" setting. I haven't had time to isolate which one, but turning all three off totally solved the issue, to my relief.

Black levels are very good. The "auto brightness control" on the TV (not the active LED zones, this is a separate setting) is unimpressive, and causes noticeable and distracting fading in and out of bright areas on the screen. It's a useless setting and I immediately turned it off. I haven't noticed a huge difference between having the Active LED zones on and off - either way, the black levels are very solid and the best I've ever seen on an LCD TV. Not "inky black, deep as night" black, but very, very good performance.

"Smooth motion effect" is pretty good as well, and reduces the fairly noticeable judder on big camera pans. I've never enjoyed the effect on most TV's, but on this one I actually rather like it (on low). The downside is that on certain scenes the setting introduces distracting artifacts. It's not huge, and not super often, but certainly there. Ironically, it seems to be on scenes with less motion.

Anyways, I've only had about a half hour to really mess with the TV, so those are just off-the-cuff initial impressions. Haven't done any color calibrations yet as, unlike others, I'm not hugely bothered by the colors out of the box. Skin tones are definitely too tan, but other than that it's not bad.

Bottom line, I'm extremely happy with the 49" M-Series for the price.
jasenj1 likes this.
post #1160 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
If you want 3D the then the 2014 Vizio will not be in contention as none of the 2014
Vizio sets have 3D.

I believe Mark H (imagic) saw a Vizio demonstration between the 7100 and 2014 M and said visually the 2014 M was better. Take it with a grain of salt however since this was not an in depth review and only a manufacturer demo.

Since it looks like you are buying at BJs and not elsewhere your options will be limited. I always say if you can wait, wait to see the choice you want to make and make an informed decision. Otherwise if the 65" M starts to show up next week or the week after and you see it is better than the one you decided on you'll always see that regret when watching the TV you chose early.

I also went to Best Buy and looked around. No M Series there and their lack of product knowledge is embarrassing.

I am going to check out SAMs Club today also
post #1161 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a 60" M 2014, and I used cnet's settings, but people's faces are a little too red/pink. What can I do to make it better? Is there a tool that is relatively inexpensive ~$100 that can make the colors more natural? Should I just use the WoW disc?
post #1162 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1976 View Post
I also went to Best Buy and looked around. No M Series there and their lack of product knowledge is embarrassing.

I am going to check out SAMs Club today also

It's dependent on your area as Best Buys do have them (both of the ones near me do) they don't have all sizes, but do have "some". SAMs seems to be getting them more quickly then BB so it may be a better bet for you.

post #1163 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteriouskk View Post
I have a 60" M 2014, and I used cnet's settings, but people's faces are a little too red/pink. What can I do to make it better? Is there a tool that is relatively inexpensive ~$100 that can make the colors more natural? Should I just use the WoW disc?

The only way to calibrate colors truly is with a meter. Not sure there are any for $100 though. You can rent one from Spectracal I believe though.

post #1164 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
+1. You can make some very good adjustments (not a calibration) with a disk like WoW, Spears & Munsil, or the free AVS HD709 disk. That may be all you need. If you do find a "cheap" meter the accuracy of that meter will probably be in question. $300-$400 is probably a better figure, and then there's the learning curve which can take a long time. If you're going to spend $300-$400 you might as well pay for a professional calibration, unless your the DIY kinda person.
post #1165 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteriouskk View Post
STAHP!

I want there to be a bot on this forum that automatically quotes posts like this and regurgitates all the standard warnings about trying to use somebody else's color settings (even for the exact same model/size).
post #1166 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
There is so much talk of using meters, is it that easy? Assuming you spend the $300-400+ on a meter, is it so easy to use that in a weekend you'll have it setup looking significantly better than using a calibration disk?

From what I've read, it looks like it takes a fair amount of experience/training/knowledge to be able to get decent settings, yet there is a lot of talk of using them here like it's easy and just a step up from using a disk.

And then the meter itself is only accurate for so long before it itself needs calibrated? It seems like a lot of money and training is required to get a good picture quality, but here it's presented as a better alternative to using a setup disk. Them seem like they are in completely different, non-comparable leagues and that just buying a meter and trying to use it would not result in instant superior picture quality.

Living room: Definitive BP2000TL, CLR3000, BPVX, Quad SI 18" subs
Bedroom: Definitive BP30, CLR2000 Also have had: BP7000SC, BP8B, BP10B, BPX, Dayton 15" HF subs, Rythmik F15

Last edited by bradthebold88; 07-08-2014 at 11:49 AM.
post #1167 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

"Easy" is relative. There will be a learning curve as you start to use the meter and your choice of software. You'll start to learn how changing one setting can effect others etc. It will probably take longer than a weekend your 1st run, but once you become accustom to everything it will probably take a few hrs to do a complete calibration. There is a lot of useful information in the Display Calibration section of the forums.

post #1168 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM

Liked: 13
I purchased a 55" Vizio Model#M552i-B2 at Costo over the weekend for $879. I'm coming from a $1,200Sony edge-lit LED KDL46NX720 which blew something in the power boards and would no longer turn on. I'm pretty impressed with the both the picture quality and visual aesthetics of the 55" M-Series. I thought the Vizio tag at the bottom right of the TV would bug me, but it disappears when the TV is on and I barely notice it when the TV is off. The Sony I had was a great looking TV with a full Gorilla Glass front panel that was flat across the front and sides with no visual physical edges. While the Vizio isn't quite as nice looking, it still looks great mounted on the wall. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. I have the Vizio set to Standard(warm) color with about 75% backlight. I turned off all the motion/noise reduction settings and turned the sharpness down to 45%. I also reduced both the red gain and offset to -5 as the picture was a little too warm for my liking. Like I said before, I'm very pleased with the TV and am enjoying it so far. I do have a few questions/issues though:

1.) CEC control - My previous TV allowed me to use this feature and to turn on the receiver separately from the TV only when I wanted to use my system. When I enable CEC on the Vizio, my receiver is powered on every time I turn on the TV. Does anyone know how to enable CEC control for volume only, not power?

2.) Firmware updating - When I was messing around with the TV on Sunday, I was prompted for an update, but exited out of the prompt as I was busy with the TV and didn't want to wait for the download. Is there anyway to have the TV search for updates? I want to update now, but can't figure it out.

3.) LED zones - I think a previous poster addressed this, but when active LED zones is enabled, you can see the the faint outlines of the checkerboard LED pattern when there is a single color image on the screen. I noticed this in the professional color setting pages and when watching HGTV (think solid color painted walls of a house). I didn't notice it when watching sports (green fields, basketball courts). I also noticed the effect when watching a Harry Potter blu-ray. There were a few dark scenes in the Forbidden Forest where the strip of picture directly below the top letter box was a different shade than the rest of the picture.

4.) Actual screen size - I noticed the picture doesn't quite fill the entire screen when picture size is set to normal. I think there was a 1/16" on both the top and bottom of "dead screen". When I set the screen to "Wide" the full screen was filled out. What's the deal here?

5.) Sound - My Sony LED had much better sound quality. Granted, it was considerably more expensive. The sound is okay during most viewings. I notice the "tin" sounding speakers when watching Arial America on Smithsonian channel. It could just be the sound quality of the channel is bad. Do you guys prefer to have the surround function on the TV speakers set to On of Off?
post #1169 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdyson View Post
STAHP!

I want there to be a bot on this forum that automatically quotes posts like this and regurgitates all the standard warnings about trying to use somebody else's color settings (even for the exact same model/size).
I usually use another's calibration as a reference point when dialing in. Isn't that fair? (I don't have any cal equip)
post #1170 of 1507 Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post
I usually use another's calibration as a reference point when dialing in. Isn't that fair? (I don't have any cal equip)

No, not really as that "calibration" was done for another persons set and you can't really tell how it will effect yours. Does it work sometimes sure, but sometimes it does more bad then good. With the variances between sizes and sets within the same size the best thing to do is to spend time and do it "right". It's a time consuming process but usually once you're done it is so much more fulfilling.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page