123Likes

post #1201 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm View Post
I have a Win8 MCE PC connected to my M602i and I don't have any stuttering or pausing, although I am using an nVidia card. Did you have smooth motion (may be called something else, can't remember) turned off? With it on I see stutters occasionally, but that's the nature of the beast with the motion interpolation "feature."
I definitely saw the "slow motion" with all the interpolation stuff turned off. I tried everything, except another source, which bradthebold88 asked about a few posts back.

I SHOULD have tried another source, just for troubleshooting purposes, but blew it on that one.

I am trying a Sony 60W850B, and do not see that "slow motion" artifact, but it had bad clouding, so I am returning that one too. I might try another M602i on the off chance that I simply got a defective one.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi everyone, I was holding out for the P Series, but may consider going with an M602i instead. I do intend to use it as an extra monitor about 50% of the time (planning to wall mount above my desk in my bedroom). One thing I'm curious about is if the 2014 M series supports 4:4:4 Chroma subsampling.

Official 4:4:4 / Chroma Subsampling Thread

Can anyone confirm? I wasn't able to find anywhere on Vizio's spec sheets.

Thanks!
post #1203 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1976 View Post
One quick question, is Square Trade 4 yr $99 Warranty a good investment or waste of money?
A 4-yr warranty is really only a 3-year warranty, maybe with a few extras on the original 1-yr, like labor after 90 days or something. That works out about $30/yr for some peace of mind. If you never use it, you've missed a dinner 3 times over those 3 years. If you don't buy it and need it after the first year, you're out whatever a replacement or repair will cost, a lot more than $90. AFAIK, Square Trade is as good as any warranty and probably better than most. I don't know what Vizio longevity is. Usually electronics fail early or last a long time. I never bought an extended warranty on a car and I'm still money ahead even though I had to pay for an engine once. My reasoning though is a little different in that I usually hit the mileage limit long before the year limit. For other things, I usually see what it will do to my budget if something fails shortly after the original warranty is over. If I think I'll be able to afford to buy the latest replacement, I forego the extended warranty. However, warranties are not as expensive as they used to be, so around 1/2% isn't all that bad for peace of mind.
Keenan likes this.

Cheers, Dave
post #1204 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
does anyone else have any issues with darker grey spots in the corners of their 2014 M series? I've noticed this on my 32 inch, usually during scenes with lighter color backgrounds, and especially on a white background.....greyish clouds in all 4 corners.
Yes. I've noticed darker areas in all four corners of my 2014 55". Extends approximately 1" from the corners.
post #1205 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I see the dark corner/edges to on my 55" on white/light backgrounds. I don't notice it very often though as most content either entertains me enough not to notice or isn't plain enough to enact the discoloration. I think it was mentioned previously in either this threat or the E-Series thread that it is an inherent issue with the panels used. I'm still very impressed with my 55". I was watching baseball on ROOT Sports last night. ROOT doesn't usually bring the best picture quality to the table, but it looked much better than I remember on the new TV. Then I switched to MLB Network and was really blown away with the representation of the MLB Tonight set pieces (lots of deep blacks, blues and reds). I did not notice the dark corners when viewing either of these shows.

I know the general consensus here is to forget the TV has built in speakers and use your sound system, but has anyone played around with the equalizer and found a setting they like more than others?
post #1206 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Since yesterday I can't use Netflix. I get error nw-4-8. Was there a software update recently?

Is there a way to reset the apps without resetting the entire tv to factory defaults?

Anyone else getting the netflix problem.

Other apps appear to work fine.
post #1207 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by acemariner View Post
Since yesterday I can't use Netflix. I get error nw-4-8. Was there a software update recently?

Is there a way to reset the apps without resetting the entire tv to factory defaults?

Anyone else getting the netflix problem.

Other apps appear to work fine.

Quick google search shows this as a network error. Could be just your connection or provider. Could also be Netflix under heavy load.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #1208 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Quick google search shows this as a network error. Could be just your connection or provider. Could also be Netflix under heavy load.

I think it's a vizio update issue. I'll reset to factory defaults later and see if that helps.
post #1209 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 02:47 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any crystal ball predictions as to when M652i-B2 might actually make it to Costco?

Rick
post #1210 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlerm View Post
I have a Win8 MCE PC connected to my M602i and I don't have any stuttering or pausing, although I am using an nVidia card. Did you have smooth motion (may be called something else, can't remember) turned off? With it on I see stutters occasionally, but that's the nature of the beast with the motion interpolation "feature."
Thinking of using one with a windows htpc also. There does not appear to be a 1-1 pixel mapping setting. Are you able to eliminate overscan and how is that accomplished?
post #1211 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ams123 View Post
Thinking of using one with a windows htpc also. There does not appear to be a 1-1 pixel mapping setting. Are you able to eliminate overscan and how is that accomplished?
I simply have the TV set to "Normal" and the PC set to 1920x1080 using HDMI and I have no overscan/underscan. This is with an nVidia GT430.
post #1212 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM

I went to 3 Costco's yesterday but could not find any M552I-B2, so I ordered mine from Best Buy online and scheduled it to be delivered on Monday July 14th. My Samsung t5084 plasma is having the power issue and the wife said after 7 years, its time to get a new tv. I have been reading this thread and the E series thread and decided to pay the extra $200 for a closer picture to my plasma. I saw the M60 at Costco and to me it had a better picture than the E55 they had there. Thanks everyone for their comments.
post #1213 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdencain View Post
If it's the same 10% coupon we just got in our USPS moving packet from BB you will find flat screens excluded. It's on the website under exclusions. Even though the coupon has a pic of a flat screen on it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FYI, I spoke with a Best Buy salesman about when they planned on having the m652i in stock a few weeks ago. He wasn't able to help me nail down a date at the time, but he did mention that they're currently running a special if you open a BB card in which you get 10% back as rewards certificates. If you already have the cash on hand you can open a card and pay it off immediately, and still receive the rewards. It's not technically 10% off, but if you were to pick up a m652i and a Vizio s4251 5.1 soundbar to go along with it, you could get something like $200 worth of free blu-rays as a reward for using the card.

As a disclaimer, I got impatient waiting for Best Buy to have the TV in stock and ended up purchasing from Amazon. Best Buy had the m652i in stock the same day that my order shipped from Amazon, so I didn't actually take advantage of the BB card rewards.

Last edited by RxLink; 07-09-2014 at 07:55 PM.
post #1214 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1976 View Post
I am going to order the 2014 65 inch M Series through Amazon as no stores locally in Buffalo NY area has them in stock.

One quick question, is Square Trade 4 yr $99 Warranty a good investment or waste of money?
I have used squaretrade several times in the past and have had extremely positive experiences both times I have had to file warranty claims. I had a Yamaha receiver HDMI out stop working, and had it shipped to them, repaired, and returned to me within a week and a half.

More recently I had a 2012 model Samsung UN55ES6500 panel failure. They had a local technician come to my house within a week of filing the claim to discover that the panel had gone bad. The TV had the top 2/3 of the screen go dark with some vertical scrolling, which would go away and work perfectly after 15 minutes of warming up. They cut me a check for $1,400 which went toward the purchase of my new m652i. Also, they told me that I could pick the TV back up from the technician. The technician reassembled the TV and somehow the issue only happens very rarely now. He informed squaretrade of this and they still were fine with me getting the tv back as well as giving me the check. So I ended up with a brand new Vizio and my older Samsung back in mostly working order. The Samsung served as an upgrade to the much smaller Toshiba that I was using in my bedroom, and I haven't had the scrolling issue at all since wall-mounting it in the bedroom. If it ever completely kicks the bucket, I can go back to the Toshiba and maybe try to sell the Samsung for parts.

I definitely recommend using them. Their customer service representatives in their TV department are extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and their warranty claim process as a whole is straightforward, smooth, and very quick.
Keenan likes this.

Last edited by RxLink; 07-09-2014 at 07:58 PM.
post #1215 of 1779 Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeuptime View Post
I see the dark corner/edges to on my 55" on white/light backgrounds. I don't notice it very often though as most content either entertains me enough not to notice or isn't plain enough to enact the discoloration. I think it was mentioned previously in either this threat or the E-Series thread that it is an inherent issue with the panels used. I'm still very impressed with my 55". I was watching baseball on ROOT Sports last night. ROOT doesn't usually bring the best picture quality to the table, but it looked much better than I remember on the new TV. Then I switched to MLB Network and was really blown away with the representation of the MLB Tonight set pieces (lots of deep blacks, blues and reds). I did not notice the dark corners when viewing either of these shows.

I know the general consensus here is to forget the TV has built in speakers and use your sound system, but has anyone played around with the equalizer and found a setting they like more than others?
Thanks for your comments mentioning the quality of the motion in sports, for a change. If you have any other comments about motion, football, World Cup, basketball, pass along your thoughts. Thanks
post #1216 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxLink View Post
I have used squaretrade several times in the past and have had extremely positive experiences both times I have had to file warranty claims. I had a Yamaha receiver HDMI out stop working, and had it shipped to them, repaired, and returned to me within a week and a half.

More recently I had a 2012 model Samsung UN55ES6500 panel failure. They had a local technician come to my house within a week of filing the claim to discover that the panel had gone bad. The TV had the top 2/3 of the screen go dark with some vertical scrolling, which would go away and work perfectly after 15 minutes of warming up. They cut me a check for $1,400 which went toward the purchase of my new m652i. Also, they told me that I could pick the TV back up from the technician. The technician reassembled the TV and somehow the issue only happens very rarely now. He informed squaretrade of this and they still were fine with me getting the tv back as well as giving me the check. So I ended up with a brand new Vizio and my older Samsung back in mostly working order. The Samsung served as an upgrade to the much smaller Toshiba that I was using in my bedroom, and I haven't had the scrolling issue at all since wall-mounting it in the bedroom. If it ever completely kicks the bucket, I can go back to the Toshiba and maybe try to sell the Samsung for parts.

I definitely recommend using them. Their customer service representatives in their TV department are extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and their warranty claim process as a whole is straightforward, smooth, and very quick.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Any major electronics purchase that I make now includes SquareTrade. And I am not a warranty kind of guy.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #1217 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 07:47 AM

Anybody in the Phoenix, AZ metro area know of anyone with the 2014 55" in stock?
post #1218 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post
I picked up a M602i-B3 (60 inch) from Costco. I was very disappointed and returned it. There was a weird artifact that once and a while (pretty frequently) the picture would sputter for about 1 second. My wife even noticed and asked why it sometimes looked like slow motion. I dug through every setting and and could not stop it from happening. Maybe I got a bad one? Anyone else see this type of problem? A side note, I run all my TV content via Windows Media Center -> AMD Video -> HDMI at 59hz. The old 56" DLP I want to replace had a rock solid picture before it died, with Media Center as its' source, so I am pretty sure it is not the PC, unless there is some sort of incompatibility between the PC and Vizio?
I picked up a 60" E-Series, and I do NOT have the stuttery "slow motion" problem with it. I am more convinced (hoping) that I might have just gotten a defective M602i-B3. Hopefully the whole batch that my Costco has are not defective. I might buy another one and see if the next one has the problem. If not, I will likely stick with it and return the E Series. The E Series is pretty good, but motion res is not great, should be better with the M series.
post #1219 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just SumBuddy View Post
Thanks for your comments mentioning the quality of the motion in sports, for a change. If you have any other comments about motion, football, World Cup, basketball, pass along your thoughts. Thanks
I've been watching some World Cup games on my 2014 55" and am pretty happy with it. It compares well with my Pioneer 5070 plasma (50" from 2006). On the wide panning shots that show a large swath of the pitch there is some visible blurring/smearing of the field. Probably what's been labeled as "dirty screen effect", but I'm no expert. It is minimal and not distracting for me, but your mileage may vary. When I go back to the plasma set I see similar blurring, but that panel seems to handle it a little better in terms of artifacts. The lower resolution of the plasma may explain some of the differences, as it is a 720p panel. The Vizio deals with ball and player motion very well, at least for my amateur eyes.

I've also watched some F1 races, and those looked great. I don't do baseball, and the college football and basketball seasons are still a few months off. So that's been the extent of my sports watching.

I do recommend setting up a preset for sports with Active LED Zones turned off, Motion Blur Reduction on, and Smoothing Effect set wherever you prefer.
post #1220 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM

an update to my netflix problem: a factory reset fixed my netflix problem.
post #1221 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post
I picked up a 60" E-Series, and I do NOT have the stuttery "slow motion" problem with it. I am more convinced (hoping) that I might have just gotten a defective M602i-B3. Hopefully the whole batch that my Costco has are not defective. I might buy another one and see if the next one has the problem. If not, I will likely stick with it and return the E Series. The E Series is pretty good, but motion res is not great, should be better with the M series.
With smooth motion off and motion blur off, it only has 300 lines of motion resolution.
From CNET:

In terms of maximum motion resolution the M outperformed the E-Series only if smoothing is engaged. Doing so, and toggling on the Motion Blur Reduction (MBR) switch, achieved excellent motion resolution (1080 lines); toggling MBR off cut that number down to 600 lines. Disabling smoothing cut it down even further, to 300 lines. As usual blurring was tough to detect in program material, and personally I'd rather have poor motion resolution than smoothing.
post #1222 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickny2az View Post
Anybody in the Phoenix, AZ metro area know of anyone with the 2014 55" in stock?
I could not find it anywhere except online at Best Buy and Amazon. Amazon on Sunday had 10 in stock, that dropped to 5 by Monday, then 3 then 1, and yesterday they say its 2-4 weeks out. At Best Buy at least its a 3-5 day store pickup or free shipping in 5-7 days.
The tv is scheduled for this Monday, but the order status shows "Order line status is not available".
post #1223 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
With smooth motion off and motion blur off, it only has 300 lines of motion resolution.
From CNET:

In terms of maximum motion resolution the M outperformed the E-Series only if smoothing is engaged. Doing so, and toggling on the Motion Blur Reduction (MBR) switch, achieved excellent motion resolution (1080 lines); toggling MBR off cut that number down to 600 lines. Disabling smoothing cut it down even further, to 300 lines. As usual blurring was tough to detect in program material, and personally I'd rather have poor motion resolution than smoothing.
...on the tested unit. We've already discussed how different screen sizes are going to have different panels (and possibly other parts).
Ph8te likes this.
post #1224 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdyson View Post
...on the tested unit. We've already discussed how different screen sizes are going to have different panels (and possibly other parts).
True, but there have been several posts here (with the different sizes) stating that people weren't happy with the motion resolution on their sets when watching TV or BluRay. The one thing I like about my 32" Toshiba u515 unit in the bedroom is that it does full 1080 motion lines, even with smooth motion turned off. I've also heard that Samsung does this as well. Maybe better hopes with the P series. Too bad the smallest one is 49", as I can only fit a 42" in the living room entertainment cabinet.

I had thought about replacing my fully working 2001 Panasonic 36" Tube CRT HDTV (36HX41) in the living room with the Vizio M422, but thinking it still may be best to wait it out.

Last edited by FAUguy; 07-10-2014 at 12:49 PM.
post #1225 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't remember people being overly unhappy with the motion, all I do remember is people being unhappy with the colors, which according to CNET need a meter to be corrected. Motion has been a wash for the most part.

post #1226 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezmo1 View Post
I could not find it anywhere except online at Best Buy and Amazon. Amazon on Sunday had 10 in stock, that dropped to 5 by Monday, then 3 then 1, and yesterday they say its 2-4 weeks out. At Best Buy at least its a 3-5 day store pickup or free shipping in 5-7 days.
The tv is scheduled for this Monday, but the order status shows "Order line status is not available".
thanks, that is the same I am finding
post #1227 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickny2az View Post
thanks, that is the same I am finding
Well, Amazon 2 hours ago said they had 5 in stock and now they show 2. Good luck.
post #1228 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 05:12 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

I was at Costco today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140710_133944525.jpg (275.3 KB, 130 views)

Rick
post #1229 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice, looks like they are starting to trickle out to B&M now. Might want to list location as well that way people don't start going crazy at their locals

post #1230 of 1779 Old 07-10-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Someone please tell me I am being an idiot. I cannot find the Vizio app that will let me connect to a DNLA sever and stream video. Help?
Did they remove it from the 2014 M-series?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page