Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #1261 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It looks like there is a bezel inside of the bezel.

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Read HDTVSolutions "Highly Recommended" review of the VIZIO 2014 M-Series Smart TV here: http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/VIZIO-M...-TV-Review.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDTVHighly.jpg (5.1 KB, 24 views)

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #1263 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just got my M602i-B3 yesterday. Great picture quality, however, CNET's settings are absolute trash. I decided to use the WOW disc. Those who have done calibration using a disc, did you turn off every option in Advanced Picture Settings? Such as Black Detail, Active LED, SME, MBR, Reduce Signal Noise and Reduce Block Noise?

I turned everything off and then turned Active LED back on when the calibration done. It made more sense to do it this way.

Also, I noticed when I woke up this morning, all of my calibration settings were reset... is this normal as well?
post #1264 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 43
That has been reported to happen after a firmware update a few times. Next time snap a few pictures of the settings or write them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEndian View Post
Also, I noticed when I woke up this morning, all of my calibration settings were reset... is this normal as well?
post #1265 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 05:40 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
That has been reported to happen after a firmware update a few times. Next time snap a few pictures of the settings or write them down.
Will do. Thanks. Do you know about what time they usually push and install these updates? It happened overnight for sure.
post #1266 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know of a remote code that works with a Comcast (grey/red button) Remote? I've tried the ones listed on the website and I cannot power off or change the volume on my set using the comcast remote.
post #1267 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidus View Post
Does anyone know of a remote code that works with a Comcast (grey/red button) Remote? I've tried the ones listed on the website and I cannot power off or change the volume on my set using the comcast remote.
Sorry I can't give a specific solution, because I don't have comcast. However, others have reported that universal remote codes for last year's model have worked. This has been my experience with my Harmony remotes, although I haven't tried it with my stock cable box remote.
post #1268 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
There are a few 65 owners here. Haven't seen much posted since initial remarks though.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS

Has the M652i-B2 shown up in the B&M channels like Best Buy and Costco yet?

I'm interested in any comments on this panel from early owners (and to check one out in person once they show up in B&M channels).
post #1269 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajeffm View Post
Sorry I can't give a specific solution, because I don't have comcast. However, others have reported that universal remote codes for last year's model have worked. This has been my experience with my Harmony remotes, although I haven't tried it with my stock cable box remote.
10178 seems to work. I had to power cycle my remote and it worked. Thanks.
post #1270 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a i1Display. What is an easy way to calibrate my color? Is there a tutorial I can follow?
post #1271 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteriouskk View Post
I have a i1Display. What is an easy way to calibrate my color? Is there a tutorial I can follow?
Here are some links that might help.

Basic Guide to Color Calibration using a CMS (updated and enhanced)

Links to this forums popular threads.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2983567

Dummy calibrating a monitor with i1display pro
post #1272 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 02:01 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I picked up my M652i-B2 from Costco yesterday and only had time to unbox it and make sure it worked. Out of box setting are way off for the room so it doesn't make much sense to say anything until its been calibrated a little. I did notice some blinking artifact on solid light background (zones?) around the swirling Amazon Video circle which I"ll need to investigate before the kids get Xbox plugged in and my hands never see the remote again.

Rick
post #1273 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
another small reason to go with the 65 over the 60

My brother has been through several Vizio's recently, not really based on a problem but actually because he was impressed enough to upgrade (twice)

He originally bought the e series 50 inch. No problems but after looking at several blu rays, he wanted to go with a bigger screen.

He ended up with the 60 inch M series. That one was also quite good with one minor exception. He had the darkening in the corners that some have reported. It wasn't bad and he was willing to live with it but coincidentally the latest firmware update somehow managed to brick his TV.

We went to exchange it this morning and Costco was sold out of the 60 , but did have the new 65 B2 series in stock Since it's a bit a of a pain to be toting big TVS around he decided to go with the 65.

We just finished setting it up and it looks at least as good as the 60 and BONUS, the darkened corners don't seem to be present on the 65.

So it's one of two scenarios, either dark corners are an issue with the 60 and not the 65, or it's manufacturing variation.

Regardless, it's a sweet TV and I'm thinking about swapping my e 42 for the M
post #1274 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
There is no "easy" way. It takes time and patience. Besides the links given above, you can go to the Display Calibration forum and ask for help there.
post #1275 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

ha ha ha you're' kidding right ? took me a while to learn how to roll my own
should have everything you need with your i1Display kit

here are some more links in addition to the ones above some very good info at first link also

full RGB 0-255 (PC)

YCbCr 4:4:4 (Some consumer video ,4K UHD video and some console games )

YCbCr 4:4:2 ( broadcast and most consumer video including DVD /BD also some game consoles )

limited RGB 16-235 ( broadcast and most consumer video including DVD /BD also some game consoles )

If your display is HDMI it will likely except YCbCr if not switch to RGB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#8-bit_color

YCbCr vs RGB? What's the difference?

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration (for TV free)

http://www.xrite.com/i1display-pro (can do TV or PC)

http://store.spectracal.com/calman5/home-video (for TV)

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/products/ (for TV)

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-12-2014 at 07:19 PM.
post #1276 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Hi all! I registered just to join the conversation on the E and M series of TVs. I've read pretty much every post in this thread (and for the E series!) in my hype for my first HDTV, and I've determined that it's worth getting an M over an E. I'm going to get either the 55" or 60" in this series, but it really depends on which one has the better screen - or panel manufacturer. What I haven't figured out from all this is, which ones have the best screens? I was going to go with the 55" since it's more within my price range, but I would pay for the 60" if the picture quality is better (or has less QC issues, in general). Have you guys noticed a trend from these owners yet?

Thanks!
post #1277 of 1749 Old 07-12-2014, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderPie View Post
I have the M 42" and owned it for more than a month now. I can say there is no black border on the image at all; 720p and 1080p picture goes all the way to the very edges of the display. I highly suspect either a source issue or even rare hardware mishap.

Still, the picture is not perfectly uniform, which is to be expected. All four corners are slightly darker on bright content, giving off a subtle vignette effect (this problem seems universal across all 2014 Vizio TVs). There are some minor light glow in black/dark content on the bottom two corners as well. They don't seem to be backlight bleed since they appear and disappear at certain viewing angles. At first I thought they were IPS glow due to the panel being IPS, but given the viewing angles and how much color gets washed out off-axis, I now have high doubts about that and believe it's VA. Regardless, I raised the TV about 6 inches off my TV stand with a 3M monitor stand and now I can hardly see the glow anymore.

Black levels are not phenomenal as made out to be, especially when viewed at night or in the dark. You can see blueness in the blacks and they don't seamlessly blend into the bezel, although the black levels are still far better than the majority of TVs I've seen.

Those minor bits aside, the picture quality is otherwise absolutely great. Far better than any other LCD TV I've owned. I'm pretty happy with it until I can upgrade to a 4K TV—I'm looking at the P series!
What exactly is that cause for that? I have the 42" and while I like it, I can't help but see the vignetting effect.

I'm wondering if it is something I should just get used to or think about exchanging it for a different set.
post #1278 of 1749 Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Internet Radio and static image on Screen

When playing an internet radio station, does the static image from the station you pick stay on the screen for as long as you are on that channel?
Is this static image a danger to the panel?
Thanks
Dan

Dan
post #1279 of 1749 Old 07-13-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcompguy View Post
My brother has been through several Vizio's recently, not really based on a problem but actually because he was impressed enough to upgrade (twice)

He originally bought the e series 50 inch. No problems but after looking at several blu rays, he wanted to go with a bigger screen.

He ended up with the 60 inch M series. That one was also quite good with one minor exception. He had the darkening in the corners that some have reported. It wasn't bad and he was willing to live with it but coincidentally the latest firmware update somehow managed to brick his TV.

We went to exchange it this morning and Costco was sold out of the 60 , but did have the new 65 B2 series in stock Since it's a bit a of a pain to be toting big TVS around he decided to go with the 65.

We just finished setting it up and it looks at least as good as the 60 and BONUS, the darkened corners don't seem to be present on the 65.

So it's one of two scenarios, either dark corners are an issue with the 60 and not the 65, or it's manufacturing variation.

Regardless, it's a sweet TV and I'm thinking about swapping my e 42 for the M
But he now has approximately 1.0533 billion less colors to enjoy... according to the Vizio tech spec at least.
post #1280 of 1749 Old 07-13-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabby View Post
But he now has approximately 1.0533 billion less colors to enjoy... according to the Vizio tech spec at least.
Well that would be true if there was any source material that took advantage of it, but the NTSC standard is 8 bit.

I agree the 10 bit display can be better IF (BIG IF) there is actual content and support for it. There is limited support with PC and PC displays and yes it does look good, but is pretty pricey.

Yes there is deep color etc. but again that's only useful if the content is there.

My guess is that by the time high color and 4k content become common enough, it will be time for a new TV anyway.

PS: the off angle views seem to be a bit better with the 65 vs the 60 as well
Eternitay likes this.
post #1281 of 1749 Old 07-13-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
PS: the off angle views seem to be a bit better with the 65 vs the 60 as well
No dark corners and slightly better viewing angles? Sounding like the size to buy...
post #1282 of 1749 Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Unhappy My 8 Days with the M492i-B2

Last Saturday my 49" M series arrived and I started my analysis that night.

Since esthetics is subjective I will only say that material and build quality is quite good. I had no issues with the television's IR using my harmony 600 remote. I had no issues using the VIA apps plus, I find it responsive and vudu, Netflix and Amazon VOD performed as expected. That is not to say there weren't times where network congestion effected performance but that's not an issue with the television. Now onto PQ...

I too had slight darkening of the corners but I don't consider it much of an issue especially compared to the television's other PQ deficiencies.

Blooming is much less distracting from the 2013 edge-lit models though still noticeable where you expect to find it. With most content the overall effect is better black levels and contrast. Last year's dimming scheme IMO hurt PQ performance more than it helped, but now it's a definite plus overall. One deficiency of note is when there's a scene where one character is against a black background and another character is against a brighter background, when going from the character with the black background to the character with the lighter background it takes a moment for the disengaged zones to turn on so you notice a lightening against that character's background.

The top and bottom bars as expected were quite black given the matrix of the dimming zones but surprisingly the side bars though not as dark as the top and bottom bars were quite uniform. There is virtually no non-blooming light bleed issues.

Black levels depends on how you want to define it. In a zone where the LEDs have been turned off it's quite black but in a zone where there's highlights it's quite mediocre. Also, highlights are a little muted as a consequence of the dimmed zone. Scenes of the Shanghai skyline and the illuminated lanterns from Skyfall didn't have nearly the pop as my E7000. Also, these black levels have a very slight blue tinge to them but I don't think I would have notice it unless I was going from the Vizio to the Samsung.

I'm fine with the color accuracy, I'm more disheartened by the lack of color depth. It seems worse than the 2013 models and noticeably worse than my plasma. Various scenes from Downton Abbey and even the black and white Maltese Falcon have a one dimensional look to them in comparison to the E7000.

Uniformity is excellent but pan movement with the camera reveals banding. It was pretty bad when watching a couple of golf events yesterday. The 2013 models weren't nearly as bad as my sample.

Motion is another disappointment but it's typical of a LCD panel without engaging frame interpolation. Unfortunately engaging SME at any level gives you noticeable SOE which wasn't the case on the 2013 models. I auctioned 3 models last year and all them on the low stetting had a natural look with minimal SOE. A supposed improvement in my eyes is a step backwards.

I knew ahead of time that the 2014 M series didn't have top notch video processing but for the most part there weren't any issues with 480p and higher source content. But to my dismay there are at certain times where video noise is quite noticeable, dimly lit areas in particular.

Even though this is a secondary television I can't stomach all the PQ deficiencies. I applaud Vizio for investing in a FALD design but it's as they decreed the price can't go up and sacrifices were made elsewhere. What to do next? I'm not sure the P series will be much better in some areas and I may have to resort to getting the much, much more expensive F8500 while I still can. One thing is for sure, I no longer have much interest in the P series as a replacement for my current E7000. My hopes for a 70" screen I think went out the window.
jasenj1 and dandiego like this.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer

Last edited by venus933; 07-13-2014 at 01:37 PM.
post #1283 of 1749 Old 07-13-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Then only things that will match the plasma at this time is another plasma or OLED. You're asking a mid tier set to match a top tier plasma which just isn't possible IMO. We are a long way from that. If you want a plasma and don't care about 3D you should look at the Samsung 5300 as well. Unfortunately plasma is on it's last legs so either buy now or be "stuck" with the choices.

post #1284 of 1749 Old 07-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Then only things that will match the plasma at this time is another plasma or OLED. You're asking a mid tier set to match a top tier plasma which just isn't possible IMO. We are a long way from that. If you want a plasma and don't care about 3D you should look at the Samsung 5300 as well. Unfortunately plasma is on it's last legs so either buy now or be "stuck" with the choices.

Yes, I'm aware of the F5300 and BB has a good deal on them now. I would like to emphasize I wasn't expecting the M series to be on par with my plasma but perhaps I'm become too accustomed to it that I will only be happy with the F8500. The thing is if the only change to the 2014 M series was the FALD design I think I would be more than satisfied with it for the bedroom. Hopefully the P series will be out before stock dwindles on the Samsungs but be assured I'll be watching availability carefully.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer

Last edited by venus933; 07-13-2014 at 01:44 PM.
post #1285 of 1749 Old 07-13-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Maybe expecting too much out of the set? Expectations have to be set obviously. The M may be a great LCD and once calibrated may even be better but as stated in the CNET review without calibration it is "off" in more ways than one. If you are big on motion and used to plasma motion you may want to hold off to see how the P series fairs. However I have a feeling that outside of a Plasma or OLED you may be disappointed the f8500 will be a visible upgrade for you of course the price will also hurt more than something like the M series. What some people may end up doing is buy an e or M series now and see what the next year or two ends up being. 4k is not finalized and BR4K may not be finished to next year as well. Lots of "choices" to make all having drawbacks of one type or another

post #1286 of 1749 Old 07-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Yes, I'm aware of the F5300 and BB has a good deal on them now. I would like to emphasize I wasn't expecting the M series to be on par with my plasma but perhaps I'm become too accustomed to it that I will only be happy with the F8500. The thing is if the only change to the 2014 M series was the FALD design I think I would be more than satisfied with it for the bedroom. Hopefully the P series will be out before stock dwindles on the Samsungs but be assured I'll be watching availability carefully.
The 51" F5300 is showing $530 on the BB site, which is a really good price, and I would jump on it, except that my entertainment cabinet can't hold a set larger than 42-43", which is why I was thinking of the Vizio M422. But with the way these set are, the only 42-43" Plasmas are limited to 720p not 1080p. The only 42" 1080p was the Panasonic 42S60 which looks to have been sold out everywhere for months.

Last edited by FAUguy; 07-13-2014 at 05:54 PM.
post #1287 of 1749 Old 07-13-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 80
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...b3-lcdled-hdtv

Vizio is killing with price to performance this year/makes me even more excited for the P-series.
fafrd, Ph8te and jhck66 like this.
post #1288 of 1749 Old 07-14-2014, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
My guess is that by the time high color and 4k content become common enough, it will be time for a new TV anyway.
This is precisely the reason I stayed with 1080p with the 60M

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #1289 of 1749 Old 07-14-2014, 04:06 AM

Liked: 12
I got the 65 m set up this weekend and like every fifth time i turn on this tv, the sound comes on , but on the screen is says retrieving data and then says no support. I have to turn the tv on and off a few times for the picture to finally come on the screen. Has this happened to anyone else??
post #1290 of 1749 Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just got back from being out of town for two weeks. Stopped by my local Costco and they have the M422, but not the M492 - the size I want.

Has anyone seen the M492 in Costco? Anyone have word on whether Costco will be carrying that model?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page