post #1411 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruai View Post
That's unfortunate. Who makes the 55" panel, and do you think it would perform better (motion quality and PQ)?
I know their list of vendors for 2014 were LG, AUO, Innolux (chi mei), and Sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I received the M55 from Best Buy and I'm fairly happy with the PQ. I'm going from a 32 inch Toshiba so this is quite a leap.. Two questions for you pros if I may: 1) is clouding (sorry if this not the right term) to be expected and something I should live with? It's particularly noticeable in the top left, lighter screen about two inches long from the corner. Easiest way for me to replicate is to load Netflix and right before you play a movie or show, instead of a black background all the way across on the summary page, it's a lighter gray on the top left... Can anyone confirm that this should be black across or is the top left a little lighter? Anything I can do to test for clouding? ;2) I feel like to picture is blurry and not very crisp. Is this just me moving from a 32 to a 55? I sit about 10 feet from the TV.
Thanks!
post #1413 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharma View Post
I received the M55 from Best Buy and I'm fairly happy with the PQ. I'm going from a 32 inch Toshiba so this is quite a leap.. Two questions for you pros if I may: 1) is clouding (sorry if this not the right term) to be expected and something I should live with? It's particularly noticeable in the top left, lighter screen about two inches long from the corner. Easiest way for me to replicate is to load Netflix and right before you play a movie or show, instead of a black background all the way across on the summary page, it's a lighter gray on the top left... Can anyone confirm that this should be black across or is the top left a little lighter? Anything I can do to test for clouding? ;2) I feel like to picture is blurry and not very crisp. Is this just me moving from a 32 to a 55? I sit about 10 feet from the TV.
Thanks!
^^ That clouding you described, can you produce it anywhere but Netflix? We've discussed already that the Netflix UI has some design elements that resemble picture defects (notably in the upper left corner). As for blurriness, sitting 10' away from a 55" screen is bound to look softer than a 32" at the same distance. Try 1080p content from something like a BluRay disc to get a good feel for what the display is capable of.
Ph8te likes this.
post #1414 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone taken the leap on the 70" M yet? That's the one I was waiting for, and I'm about 2-3 weeks away from ordering a new TV for my basement...but all these posts about the iffy motion processing have me worried. That's one of the things I'm most sensitive to.
post #1415 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 2014 60 in and bought it from Sams Club.

I havent had a lot of time to play around with it but used the CNet and Sound and Vision Cal setting.

The PQ is good but still looking for the perfect cal setting.

I was checking out Netflix and with it was loading I noticed alot of clouding in all four corners. I attached a picture to show.

Should I be concerned?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	173129  
post #1416 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1976 View Post

I havent had a lot of time to play around with it but used the CNet and Sound and Vision Cal setting.

I was checking out Netflix and with it was loading I noticed alot of clouding in all four corners. I attached a picture to show.

Should I be concerned?
Man, that doesn't look very good. But there is no image in that display. The Vizio's do a bad just of displaying Air. So, the LED's are all over the place when just Air is on the screen. The tv doesn't know how to deal with it.

Take a solid image of like Red and display it on the screen, and look for uniformity problems, clouding. A lot of LCD's have dark corners, but you don't see them while video is running. I would think it would be a extreme rare event that you would notice them, while using the tv.

If the tv looks bad with a solid color, then there could be a problem, and you might want to return the tv, for replacement or switch to a different model.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1417 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 626
That looks like a graphic from NetFlix with a grey center and black corners. I don't see clouding in the pic provided. NetFlix had changed a few screens and the loading screens can make it look like there is an issue when there is none.

The best thing to do is put up a full black pic or a picture of a white square in a black surround. So far the issues seem to be focused on Netflix which is not a real good test.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #1418 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Should I be concerned?

The only "perfect" call is the one that is done for your specific set. It's a long process I know and can be "expensive" but it all depends on how bad do you want the "perfect" cal. Using others settings may get you close, but it can also totally ruin the picture. There are just too many variables these days to copy and paste from another user.

post #1419 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
The only "perfect" call is the one that is done for your specific set. It's a long process I know and can be "expensive" but it all depends on how bad do you want the "perfect" cal. Using others settings may get you close, but it can also totally ruin the picture. There are just too many variables these days to copy and paste from another user.

I bought the Disney WOW disc and plan on trying that out for the first time.

Any idea how long it takes to complete the process?
post #1420 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I bought the Disney WOW disc and plan on trying that out for the first time.

Any idea how long it takes to complete the process?

Disney WoW will give you a basic "cal" and should take less than and hour. You can't really cal color accurately and won't be able to touch the 11 pt adjustments since you don't have a meter so that will cut a lot of the time off.

post #1421 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, had my mind set on a 65 M but after reading all these posts I am unsure? For those that purchased the new M series is everyone happy with the purchase or should I look for another brand?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1422 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread

The unhappy/problem posts will always be more visible. That is the nature of the forums. They are here for people to report and troubleshoot problems they have. You'll see much less posting from those that are happy with the sets as they have "little" reason to continue to post

You'll see this with almost any model you chose, this one is not alone.

post #1423 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Haven't posted for some time. Been waiting for today!! Vizio is now selling the 70" M Full Array. Was posted today. Someone started a new thread with this news but thought that it should also be on this thread as well. Can't wait for it to hit Costco's shelves.

post #1424 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Haven't posted for some time. Been waiting for today!! Vizio is now selling the 70" M Full Array. Was posted today. Someone started a new thread with this news but thought that it should also be on this thread as well. Can't wait for it to hit Costco's shelves.

Was posted last week Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread

I too have waited a long time for the 70 M. Hope it performs well -- I'd just go buy one and report on it myself but my basement isn't quite finished yet, and I have nowhere else to put a TV that ginormous.
post #1425 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gettin the M552I-B2 in a couple of days pretty bummed that I had to downgrade size from the E600I-B2 but I am hoping the M55 is worth the downgrade of size.
post #1426 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ugh my TV from Best Buy has banding and I can't re-order as they are out of stock. You guys who have had no problems, where is a good place to order a 65 inch aside from Amazon.
post #1427 of 2662 Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konigsberg7 View Post
Ugh my TV from Best Buy has banding and I can't re-order as they are out of stock. You guys who have had no problems, where is a good place to order a 65 inch aside from Amazon.

You may not be able to unsee it since you seem to be specifically testing for it. It hasn't been brought up in reviews and if it was such a big issue I'm sure it would have been brought up. Some may meet notice it or if they do it's so rare in the content they watch it's a non issue. You will always have drawbacks regardless of what TV you choose. It could be clouding/flashlighting,
Poor black level, banding, IR, "tint" issues, color issues, etc etc. You have I decide what you are willing to deal with and go from there. Maybe if you post a post a picture of the banding you're seeing it would help members determine if it's "normal" or not.

Outside of Amazon B&M stores as well as other online retailers are starting to carry this TV. Not to forget Vizio direct has been selling this TV for weeks now

post #1428 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you have a Sam's Club membership? They've seemed to have stocked nothing but 2014 M series, including the 65", which I purchased on Saturday. It looks fantastic. I'm not seeing much of anything, except a great picture. Then again, my eyes aren't tuned well. I do see some black pixelation in small spots during really dark scenes (LOTR, Hobbit). But that may be due to the source (stream over LAN).
post #1429 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
You may not be able to unsee it since you seem to be specifically testing for it. It hasn't been brought up in reviews and if it was such a big issue I'm sure it would have been brought up. Some may meet notice it or if they do it's so rare in the content they watch it's a non issue. You will always have drawbacks regardless of what TV you choose. It could be clouding/flashlighting,
Poor black level, banding, IR, "tint" issues, color issues, etc etc. You have I decide what you are willing to deal with and go from there. Maybe if you post a post a picture of the banding you're seeing it would help members determine if it's "normal" or not.

Outside of Amazon B&M stores as well as other online retailers are starting to carry this TV. Not to forget Vizio direct has been selling this TV for weeks now

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain except death, taxes, and at least one thing that bugs you about your TV" - Benjamin Franklin

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #1430 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Vizio doesn't unpackage the TV, I can't lift a 65 inch TV by myself, especially since its full-array and thicker and heavier. I wonder why best buy cant deliver all of a sudden, I might wait on them
post #1431 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Usually, Banding comes from Active LED Zones. If you turn ALZ Off, do you still have the banding issue?

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1432 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Vizio doesn't unpackage the TV, I can't lift a 65 inch TV by myself, especially since its full-array and thicker and heavier. I wonder why best buy cant deliver all of a sudden, I might wait on them
Might have to wait on them, Not many retailers that I see offer "White Glove" (the type you are looking for) outside of amazon.
post #1433 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Not true. I ordered my 65" M652i from Vizio directly about a month ago, and the courier brought it inside, took it out, installed the base, set it down on my entertainment center, and let me plug it in and make sure it displayed and input and sound.

I had to get it replaced due to banding issues (really bad ones) and the 2nd time, a different courier service delivered, and STILL helped take it out, etc.

Vizio had the best deal on the TV, because Amazon and all B&M stores wanted a lot of tax.
post #1434 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just ordered the 65" from Amazon this morning; the scheduled delivery is Saturday morning. I looked at picking one up locally but the box wouldn't even fit in a RAV4 -- twice the screen real-estate as my current 46".
post #1435 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just got my 65 delivered yesterday. As mentioned before, picture quality was not great out of the box, but using the WoW disc led to a much more acceptable picture. The blacks are indeed deep, very near to the bezel black. When watching Monsters Inc noticed a bit of juddering when panning so I turned on the smooth motion, but can't stand the soap opera effect so I turned it off. Strange thing is when watching Planet Earth theres a scene with a huge flock of birds flying around and it handled it perfectly, no artifacting whatsoever. My old XBR6 would artifact like crazy during that scene. Of course theres probably a difference between panning and artifacting but I'm not exactly an expert so I'm just relaying my experience. Frozen seemed to handle the panning of the camera much better than Monsters Inc did, maybe I was just getting used to it.

The colors seem to be a bit washed out during certain scenes, I think I may have my backlight too high. I'm going to try to tone it down and then adjust the rest of the settings from there since the WoW disc doesnt really account for backlight settings.
post #1436 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Blooming and sound lag

I just picked up the M552i-B2, and already I'm a bit irritated by some issues. The most noticeable is strong blooming when viewing dark scenes off axis at about 10 deg. You can literally see which panel is lit up and see rectangular outlines of darker and lighter areas, bleeding into the surrounding areas. In scenes that fluctuate between light and dark, you can see the panels dimming a split second after the scene changes (again, way more noticeable when slightly off axis). If watching something like the credits of a film, with white text on black background, the font looks like it all has a rectangular halo around it. It's really distracting.

Also, the sound and video is out of sync on some movies and channels. The built in lip sync feature only makes it worse, since you can only make the sound more delayed, and the problem is that it is already too delayed. This is noticeably worse using hdmi vs. component video, but still present in both.

Lastly, it's ability to upconvert non-hd signals is really sub-par. It's annoying that this is something that very few reviews address, but still plays a significant part in most tv-watching. When watching a non-hd dvd feel or a digital cable feed, it looks like I'm watching a poor quality streaming movie. Motion, in particular, is really poorly rendered.

Any thoughts on these issues? Did I just lose the panel lottery and get a bad set? I'm thinking about returning it and going with the Samsung H6400, which definitely won't have as deep blacks but shouldn't have these issues.
post #1437 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For lip sync change your cable box to PCM that should fix those issues.

As far as off axis viewing you'll notice other things with the 6400. I've watched the E and M series at severe angles and didn't notice much to talk about. Of course this was in a store environment so many things may be hidden. To get better off axis viewing you'll need to get a plasma. LCD notoriously has poor viewing angles and there can be sharp drop offs in quality.

You didn't mention the settings you were using so that may play a part in some of the extremes you are seeing as well.

The Samsung will most likely handle non HD material better. One of the things outside of motion Samsung is known for is their superior image processing when it comes to non HD signals.

Also what TV and size are you coming from?

Last edited by Ph8te; 07-22-2014 at 03:09 PM.
post #1438 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 34
In experimenting with various settings, WoW disc calibration, etc, I believe I've come up with settings that are satisfying on my M602-B3. My only issue is text, it almost appears muddy or washed out, not as crisp as the rest of the picture if that makes sense. Thoughts on possible configuration changes that would enhance that?
post #1439 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
For lip sync change your cable box to PCM that should fix those issues.

As far as off axis viewing you'll notice other things with the 6400. I've watched the E and M series at severe angles and didn't notice much to talk about. Of course this was in a store environment so many things may be hidden. To get better off axis viewing you'll need to get a plasma. LCD notoriously has poor viewing angles and there can be sharp drop offs in quality.

You didn't mention the settings you were using so that may play a part in some of the extremes you are seeing as well.

The Samsung will most likely handle non HD material better. One of the things outside of motion Samsung is known for is their superior image processing when it comes to non HD signals.

Also what TV and size are you coming from?

I'm coming from a ~7 yr old 52" 720p rear projection panasonic lcd display (a bit of a dinosaur by today's standards). That being said, I really liked the quality of the picture. But, the lamp finally broke and I figure that means it's time to move on. This may also sort of explain my complaints with the Vizio --- I don't really care about a TVs ability to render incredible HD content (since I don't even own a blu ray player), I just want it to make everything look relatively good. Maybe the Vizio is great with HD, but I'm worried it has general issues as an all-around workhorse. I do realize that there are screen issues with LCD TVs and off-axis viewing -- my previous tv being no exception -- but I'd rather have a loss of color or desaturation than weird artifacts become visible.

I will look into the PCM setting on my cable box -- thanks for the suggestion. As for TV settings, I have pretty much all of the features turned off (smooth motion, motion blur, black detail, reduce signal noise, etc), except for local dimming, which is on. I'm working off of a custom version of "calibrated dark" that was quickly calibrated using calman 5.
post #1440 of 2662 Old 07-22-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blnd2Spll View Post
I just picked up the M552i-B2, and already I'm a bit irritated by some issues. The most noticeable is strong blooming when viewing dark scenes off axis at about 10 deg. You can literally see which panel is lit up and see rectangular outlines of darker and lighter areas, bleeding into the surrounding areas. In scenes that fluctuate between light and dark, you can see the panels dimming a split second after the scene changes (again, way more noticeable when slightly off axis). If watching something like the credits of a film, with white text on black background, the font looks like it all has a rectangular halo around it. It's really distracting.
I assume you tried to turn off Active LED Zones? Mine had blooming issues with that on.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page