AVS Forum banner

Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread

432K views 4K replies 547 participants last post by  llebcire 
#1 ·
AVS member Thmanx has just received the M322i, making him the first to own a 2014 M model

I've messaged him and hopefully he posts his findings in here. The larger sizes will be available at Vizio.com soon, and as soon as the 49" is available, I'll be nabbing it.

See less See more
#2,267 ·
Soapkid;
The first mistake is using "Vivid" as a starting point. ;)
2nd, using someone else's settings may help, but ever set will be different. If you look closely at all of these published settings, there very little consistency with any of them, except for turning off most of the 'gimmicks'.

Wildo6882;
Aren't you really splitting hairs over a measly $50 cost difference?? BTW, I believe the 6300 may be a IPS panel like the 55" Vizio's.

#2,268 ·
Soapkid;
The first mistake is using "Vivid" as a starting point. ;)
Yeah, I used the picture settings from a user by the name of smeg36 on the Cnet forum as the basis for my own settings and I'm really liking the picture now, comparing it too the vivid made me cringe. :eek: I did find that the vivid setting had better looking blacks than smeg's settings but I fixed that by setting the black detail to high (it works great for movies set in the jungle or forest like places) but it certainly isn't something that I'll leave on for everything I watch, since it can obscure darker colors and make them look black as well.

#2,269 ·
I just started experimenting using the "Low" Black Detail setting. Medium isn't a lot different than Low, but High is way out in left field. I'm surprised no one has even suggested trying that on the low setting. And I'm one of the first to automatically turn all of the 'auto' settings off. ;)

#2,276 ·
Looking for some help, haven't been able to figure out what the problem is.

I picked up a new M422I-B1 from Sams Club yesterday. The picture looks great, however once I setup wireless OR wired internet connection, the remote control becomes useless. The tv keeps playing the current station, but I cannot use the remote at all. Can't change the channel, volume or get into the settings menus. I have to unplug the set to turn it off.

If I factory reset, it works fine again until I setup the internet, then it freezes again. I have about 10 seconds on a reboot to open the menu screen before the remote becomes useless again.

I can't believe it's my internet connection, I have numerous devices hooked up to it.

Any ideas????

#2,282 · (Edited)
I've got a question. Just picked up a M502i-B1 on the weekend to play with. Not sure yet if I will be keeping it. Anyway, when I went to power it on this morning the *********** light seemed to come on and then fade out, but the Vizio splash screen never appeared. As far as I can tell it seems like it turned itself back off. Had to push the power button on the remote several more times before it started up properly. Same thing when I turned it on again this evening when I got home. Anyone else seen this?

Also, does this TV appear as a dlna playback device on the network for anyone? I used bubbleupnp with my Samsung smart TV and it was recognized by my bubbleupnp app on my phone and could be used as a "renderer" (their terminology) for dlna playback initiated from my phone. This TV never does. Netflix and YouTube remote playback works with it, and I can use its multimedia app to browse and playback from the dlna server on my PC.

It's too bad the native dlna browser/player is so rudimentary, not doing useful things like remembering which file you were last playing, or where you were in it, especially since there is no good way to fast forward or jump to where you left off. The Plex app seems like it might be good, if it worked, but it doesn't ever finish loading for me.

#2,286 ·
I've got a question. Just picked up a M502i-B1 on the weekend to play with. Not sure yet if I will be keeping it. Anyway, when I went to power it on this morning the *********** light seemed to come on and then fade out, but the Vizio splash screen never appeared. As far as I can tell it seems like it turned itself back off. Had to push the power button on the remote several more times before it started up properly. Same thing when I turned it on again this evening when I got home. Anyone else seen this?
OK, now I see that this TV just takes rather long to boot up when it's been powered off for a longer period. Didn't time it, but I guess it is something like 30 seconds to a minute. A bit on the slow side, I would say.

#2,285 ·
60" Dilemma Redux

Posted this on the E series thread. Trying here as well...

Good Morning All,

Been awhile since I've been here. I'll share some musings with you on the E600i B3 I picked up at Costco the other day. It is used in a bright bedroom.

1. I'm underwhelmed overall (I work in video production and perhaps I'm asking too much from this entry level tv). This replaces an aging Sharp Aquos about 7 years old. I watch mostly Directv, local ota and Blu-ray.

2. I've been messing with settings: blacks just don't look very solid, flesh tones look strange/off color, edge bleed lower right hand corner on black screen.

3. Please suggest a reference/setup disc for a more proper setup.

4. Please provide a link to E600 settings that someone has had success with.

5. Should I be try the M600?

6. Should I consider another set brand?

Thanks in advance, John

#2,288 ·
Anyone having issues with the Apps pushing multichannel audio bitstream? I haven't seen Dolby Digital light up on my receiver for any apps (used Vudu, Amazon, Netflix). I'm using Optical, and I it works for my WMC PC connected to the TV using HDMI (then the TV bitstreams the Dolby to the receiver over optical correctly). I had trouble with bitstream passthrough on my blu-ray, but I ended up just switching to a direct connection over coax (since the receiver has 2 digital inputs). What am I missing? (Receiver is a HT-S580 supports DD and DTS even though it's a bit old).

#2,289 ·
I picked up a couple new displays this past week, a 42" M series for our home gym and a 55" for my man cave. Bought both from Costco, the 42" for $429 and the 55" for $679 which I thought was very reasonable.

I have a bunch of older Vizios in the house and a 55" Samsung in the bedroom. The smart TV system is much better in these new Vizio models, reasonably quick and fairly intuitive. The FALD makes such a dramatic difference, I really wish I had one in my bedroom since I do so much dark room viewing there. Mrs Done Deal of course had no clue was FALD was, but I told her to think about the black bars we see on our edge lit Samsung and then look at this and how dark they are, she was blown away. Of course blacker bars isn't the only benefit, the darker blacks give the picture such better contrast and pop, makes the picture look more three dimensional.

For the price paid, I'm very happy with both of these TVs. I've done a little digging around for calibration settings for them but it's a bit confusing with the update that occurred, it's hard to tell which ones are still applicable. For now I just started with calibrated dark, turned the backlight down to 50, and turned off the additional video processing functions.

#2,295 ·
Looking for links to useful info about the M502-B1 model. And specifically what type/manufacturer panel it has. MVA, S-PVA, S-IPS? Thanks

#2,308 ·
What type of material do you watch? What is available to you? Will a PC be connected?
Lower resolution material will look worse (it has to be upscaled even further). The 4k sets are the new power hogs, though not as bad a Plasmas. The larger the panel, the greater a chance of uniformity issues no matter which series or make. ;)

#2,309 ·
Videobruce,
We watch a mix...mostly Apple TV(Netflix,ESPN,Showtime,etc) Helix media player(streaming movies), HD cable. It is rare to watch a BlueRay. I'd say 90% streaming media via HDMI from the Control4 system.
Honestly, I don't notice most of the observations regarding the quality the various panels,firmwares,models, etc.....mine could have all/none of the "problems" but picture looks good to me!
I'm just interested in a bit more real estate. We don't have room for the 80, but the 70 would fit nicely. I missed my 90 day window at Costco so this will be a new purchase.
HC

#2,310 ·
I helped my sister-in-law choose a m492i-b2 a couple of weeks ago. Mostly we're happy with it but we've noticed a couple of glitches. First it seems her laptop and this TV occasionally refuse to talk to each other (video and sometimes audio.) The TV will complain "no signal" and/or the computer won't show the monitor as attached. We go through rounds of unplugging/re-plugging the hdmi cable, restarting the tv/laptop, fn-f8, .etc until it finally starts working.

This other is at least a couple of times the tv seemed to "lock up" requiring me to unplug it from the wall. I don't remember what triggered the first one, but the latest was just pressing the button to start the Amazon app.

Does anyone have similar experiences with this tv? Any advice before my wife and her sister make me take it back? For the signal problem, I've explained that sometimes there are handshake issues and such, especially after sleep mode, but the locking up is harder to brush off.

#2,311 · (Edited)
Yes, I've observed what appears to be HDCP handshaking issues between my cable box and my M502iB2 a few times. Like last night when I turned it on, and the display was garbled. I had to turn off and turn on my cable box to get it to display properly.

Then, a short time after that - I was just watching a show, not doing anything unusual on the tv itself - it froze up, and as you said, the only thing it seemed I could do was pull the power cord to reset it. I consider that sort of instability just barely acceptable on really cheap chinese electronics (or even my phone, very occasionally), but I don't except a TV to "lock up" so that it needs a hard power cycle to reset it. I tried pushing and holding the power button on the back of the tv, for a decent period of time, but it had no effect.

It's too bad, I overall like this TV (good looking chassis, good picture, built-in apps works well), but DLNA shortcomings (doesn't appear on network as a playback device, meaning I can't stream to it using Bubbleupnp on my phone), a non-working Plex app (probably not Vizio's fault, but still...), slow start up (55 seconds, really?), HDMI/HDCP instability, and general instability are making me think I need to look at another brand.

#2,313 · (Edited)
Perhaps, but not every TV has these issues. My 32" Samsung Smart TV (5000 series, I think) which I bought a couple of Christmases ago never had HDMI/HDCP issues with my (Motorola 6412) cable box. This one I've had for less than a week and it's happened 3 or 4 times already.

Anyway if it was only that I could probably live with it, but with the other issues it's maybe just not the TV for me, for how I want to use it. As I said, it certainly has its good points.

#2,323 ·
I'm connected to the internet on my M702 via WiFi. I am having zero network issues. The hardware is real and works great and streams beautifully. I believe that the RF remote was a 2013 "M" series feature that I am not certain if Vizio ever released firmware to support that feature. The IR sensor was terrible on the 2013 models and made people nuts. Vizio improved the sensor on the 2014's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.