Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 145Likes

post #1531 of 2088 Old 07-27-2014, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As for lag, I am not really seeing anything noticeable in non-game mode on my M602i-b3 when playing XB1 or WiiU (new Wolfenstein or New Super Mario Bros U.) But others have said that they experienced lag on this model in non-game mode. I've just been too lazy to experiment. Maybe next week when I get home from vaca.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
mattdr likes this.

Last edited by jeremygary; 07-27-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2088 Old 07-27-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I picked up a 49" M Series last week, after returning an E Series to get this one. Build quality is better, color seems to be about the same. I returned the E Series because there was some, what I think is flashlighting, coming up from the bottom right of the screen, enough to be distracting in dark scenes. I thought it might have something to do with build quality, rather than the panel itself. So on this M Series, I do some of the same effect, but not nearly as obvious in the darks. In fact, once the start up logo disappears and the settings take effect, it's pretty solid.

Ok, so the problem I have now is that on whites, or bright scenes, there's about a 3" wide column on the far right of the screen, top to bottom, that is slightly faded. Looks dirty. I don't know if I'm just being picky, but it's bugging me right now. I'm thinking of either exchanging it for another one, or scrapping Vizio altogether and going with an LG5900 (I don't need the SmartTV stuff). I thought I had read someone else having this issue, but couldn't find it in this thread. What do ya'll think? Exchange, live with it?
jasenj1 likes this.
post #1533 of 2088 Old 07-27-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremygary View Post
From superkyle, many pages back ...

Actually if you only tweak picture settings such as color,contrast, brightness etc it will remain in game mode and create a custom setting. This can be verified. Switch to game mode from any preset configuration. You will notice the screen flash as the processing is turned off. If you switch between two non game mode picture settings there will not be a screen flash. Now create your custom game mode as I mentioned above. Again when switching to this new picture setting the screen will flash verifying that game mode is still turned on. With that said you can in fact tweak the game mode settings and save them however if you try to enable or disable settings in the advanced picture settings menu it will more than likely revert back to a non game mode setting.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Thank you for this. That helps alot. I get my 60m in a few days. If lag is terrible and I have to live with pre configured setting it will be going back immediately and I'll just spend more on the Sony 950b. Hopefully this Vizio will work out because it's a nice price. They need to release more firmware for people like us.
post #1534 of 2088 Old 07-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbryner View Post
I picked up a 49" M Series last week, after returning an E Series to get this one. Build quality is better, color seems to be about the same. I returned the E Series because there was some, what I think is flashlighting, coming up from the bottom right of the screen, enough to be distracting in dark scenes. I thought it might have something to do with build quality, rather than the panel itself. So on this M Series, I do some of the same effect, but not nearly as obvious in the darks. In fact, once the start up logo disappears and the settings take effect, it's pretty solid.

Ok, so the problem I have now is that on whites, or bright scenes, there's about a 3" wide column on the far right of the screen, top to bottom, that is slightly faded. Looks dirty. I don't know if I'm just being picky, but it's bugging me right now. I'm thinking of either exchanging it for another one, or scrapping Vizio altogether and going with an LG5900 (I don't need the SmartTV stuff). I thought I had read someone else having this issue, but couldn't find it in this thread. What do ya'll think? Exchange, live with it?
I know you said on bright scenes, but does turning off Active LED Zones have any effect on that 3" wide column?

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1535 of 2088 Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM

It doesn't. I had hoped so, could live without it, but it was still there.

I'm half-way tempted to just take the display apart and see if there's some manufacturing flaw causing it, maybe the diffusion screen is uneven, or the bezel is pinching something.
post #1536 of 2088 Old 07-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbryner View Post
It doesn't. I had hoped so, could live without it, but it was still there.

I'm half-way tempted to just take the display apart and see if there's some manufacturing flaw causing it, maybe the diffusion screen is uneven, or the bezel is pinching something.
If the tv is still within return possibility, I wouldn't risk voiding the warranty. Just return it, to either swap for another 49" or switch up to a bigger model.
Ph8te likes this.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1537 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
If the tv is still within return possibility, I wouldn't risk voiding the warranty. Just return it, to either swap for another 49" or switch up to a bigger model.
Agreed. No point in risking it. Especially when Vizio customer service is pretty good about replacing stuff on their dime.
post #1538 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardontwalk123 View Post
Here are my settings! Calibrated with i1 display pro and Calman. I used CNET outline for my calibration settings. This set was pretty hard to calibrate because the white balance and CMS controls don't work quite like they were supposed to, but I managed to get everything at or below human perception. These settings also only work with the motion blur reduction on. That is why backlight is so high because MBR reduces a lot of light output.

Picture settings for M552I-B2: ....

Again every T.V. is different and hopefully these settings work for you or get you on the right track.
Thanks for posting these! I'm liking the results so far on my 55.
post #1539 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
anyone have custom settings for the m492i?

Also should active led zones and black level medium be on for movies? my tv is used for 90% 23.976p movies
post #1540 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezmo1 View Post
Here are the default settings for game mode on M552i-B2:

Auto Brightness Control - Off
Backlight - 68
Brightness - 49
Contrast - 77
Color - 63
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 50

Adv Settings:

Color Temp - Computer
Black Detail - Off
Active LED Zones - Off
Smooth Motion Effect - Medium
Motion Blur Reduction - On
Reduce Signal Noise - Low
Reduce Block Noise - Off

BTW, i turn off everything in Adv settings.
Thanks for posting the game mode settings!

Wow, it actually enables "smooth motion effect" in game mode?? Does this produce any noticeable soap opera effect? It seems like Vizio doesn't understand the point of Game Mode (minimum picture processing).

Is it possible to turn off "smooth motion effect" while keeping the lower input lag of game mode?
post #1541 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Liked: 16
Has anyone ordered the m70 inch yet?
post #1542 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 532
The user who created the M series 70" thread said he has. He may be the 1st on this site to get one.
post #1543 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 07:02 PM

Unhappy bummer

Well I hate to be a downer, but came home today after work and my tv has horizontal lines going from top to bottom. It is like the tv is in interlace mode. I reset to factory defaults, and unplugged it but still same thing. I know its not the input because it has the "lines" in the menu with any input selected. Calling best buy for an exchange. I have had this tv since July 14th, M552I-B2. I can try to post a picture later.
post #1544 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboe View Post
Thanks for posting the game mode settings!

Wow, it actually enables "smooth motion effect" in game mode?? Does this produce any noticeable soap opera effect? It seems like Vizio doesn't understand the point of Game Mode (minimum picture processing).

Is it possible to turn off "smooth motion effect" while keeping the lower input lag of game mode?
No soap opera effect. You have to remember, video games already run at whatever framerate the system can go at. Things look smooth just like they would be normally.

As for your 2nd question. I have no idea. I'll have to play around with it this week.
post #1545 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm currently looking at the M492i and have a few questions. I sit 6 feet from my TV, and think the 49" is the perfect size for my uses. Anybody think I should go bigger/smaller?

My primary uses will be watching TV (DirecTV), streaming (Netflix), and watching movies through my PC that'll be hooked up through HDMI with an AMD HD7970 running XBMC (in case it matters). Everything is hooked up through HDMI to my RX-V473 that does all of the audio processing and passes video through a single HDMI to my TV.

A few questions:
For regular TV viewing, the HDMI would go from my DirecTV box to my receiver, delivering audio and video. When streaming, the TV would be the audio source. This would require an audio connection between the TV and my receiver. I have an optical cable and optical in on my receiver. Is that the best option for getting audio from the TV to the receiver?

Is the remote programmable? I only use my receiver's remote for changing the HDMI input, so if it is capable of doing that it would be plenty.

Does the ambient light sensor work effectively to compensate for changes in lighting?

Just confirming, the TV can properly display 24p video?

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to find one here locally to try out the UI and plan to purchase at Costco if I can find one here locally. If not, I'll be purchasing at Best Buy.

post #1546 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am looking at purchasing either a 60 in e series or a 55 in m series. Any recommendations? Having a hard time deciding.

Last edited by varucell; 07-28-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Quote when I didnt want to
post #1547 of 2088 Old 07-28-2014, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post
I'm currently looking at the M492i and have a few questions. I sit 6 feet from my TV, and think the 49" is the perfect size for my uses. Anybody think I should go bigger/smaller?

My primary uses will be watching TV (DirecTV), streaming (Netflix), and watching movies through my PC that'll be hooked up through HDMI with an AMD HD7970 running XBMC (in case it matters). Everything is hooked up through HDMI to my RX-V473 that does all of the audio processing and passes video through a single HDMI to my TV.

A few questions:
For regular TV viewing, the HDMI would go from my DirecTV box to my receiver, delivering audio and video. When streaming, the TV would be the audio source. This would require an audio connection between the TV and my receiver. I have an optical cable and optical in on my receiver. Is that the best option for getting audio from the TV to the receiver?

Is the remote programmable? I only use my receiver's remote for changing the HDMI input, so if it is capable of doing that it would be plenty.

Does the ambient light sensor work effectively to compensate for changes in lighting?

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to find one here locally to try out the UI and plan to purchase at Costco if I can find one here locally. If not, I'll be purchasing at Best Buy.

I sit 8ft away at main viewing and 16ft at off axis from the m492i and use my gaming pc with a 25ft HDMI cord and love the tv. at 6ft it would be perfect. I use a RX V467V reciever aswell. If you use a HTPC, make sure you look at the MPC-HC setup guide and use reclock for perfect 23.976 playback.

Also if you use the ARC channel via the 1st HDMI port this will use ARC which will also send audio from the tv to the reciever enabling playback from speakers from the tv. if you use CEC you can control the reciever from the TV's remote such as change volume/input. The ambient light sensor does work properly and works well. The tv can properly display 24p video aswell but when using a HTPC a nvidia/amd graphics card doesnt output 23.976hz perfectly, although they will send out 24p perflect. A haswell CPU will output 23.976 and 24p perfectly though. If you do not have a haswell cpu you can use MPC-HC with reclock to get perfect playback, (Reclock syncs any frame rate near 23.976 to make sure there is smooth playback)

Also just so you know the refresh rate the tv has is 23, 24, 30, 50, 59, 60.
The tv can also do native 120hz if you make a custom resolution with custom timings (although this is only beneficial really for pc games)
post #1548 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 AM

Has anybody else had any issues with the TV not responding to the remote?

I believe I've narrowed it down to my network connection as being the cause, as unplugging the ethernet cable restores functionality. After doing some searching I see some other Vizio owners reporting similar issues, but nobody specifically with the new M series sets.
post #1549 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
I ended up replacing the Vizio with an LG. I got the LG home, unpacked it and found a crack going all the way across the screen and a piece of the screen had popped out, tiny glass pieces falling out. I took that as a bad omen. Took the LG back and tried another Vizio. Same size, 49". Got that home and it looks great so far.

The customer service people at Sam's Club have been seeing me a lot lately.
post #1550 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattser93 View Post

A few questions:

I'm about the same distance on my TV. I had previously had a 56" DLP and had a hard time thinking about downsizing. In actuality I kind of like the space the 49" takes better. Picture wise, it's hardly noticeable, but the space the TV took up was too cramped. Like I tried putting a Barbie TV in a GI Joe living room (child of the 80's ).

I don't know about the remote being programmable, but I use my Onkyo receiver's remote to control the TV. All it loses is the keyboard, which all I've used that for is the TV setup. I have HTPC hooked up to the TV anyway, so everything is streamed through that. I can get to the Vizio Apps through the receiver remote, change inputs, volume, etc.
post #1551 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I don't know which TV you have. I have the M602i-B3. If you turn off the power light indicator on the lower left corner, the remote will work much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz64 View Post
Has anybody else had any issues with the TV not responding to the remote?

I believe I've narrowed it down to my network connection as being the cause, as unplugging the ethernet cable restores functionality. After doing some searching I see some other Vizio owners reporting similar issues, but nobody specifically with the new M series sets.
post #1552 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drameddie View Post
I don't know which TV you have. I have the M602i-B3. If you turn off the power light indicator on the lower left corner, the remote will work much better.
I have the M552i. The power light indicator is off. It's not a matter of the TV not seeing the remote signals it's that the TV appears to be locked up and won't respond to any input. Sometimes it won't even turn on or off unless the network is disconnected.
post #1553 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
I have the M552i. The power light indicator is off. It's not a matter of the TV not seeing the remote signals it's that the TV appears to be locked up and won't respond to any input. Sometimes it won't even turn on or off unless the network is disconnected.

You may be having network issues with the TV then. Try resetting it and not setting up the network to see if that makes a difference.
post #1554 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
M602i-B3 owner, here. Just wanted to report something I found this weekend with the CNet review settings.

I checked out those settings when the review was first posted. Ignoring the advanced settings (I don't have equipment), I found the basic settings were nearly identical to what I already had from calibrating with the Disney WOW disk.. which were in turn fairly close to the default Calibrated Dark mode. So back then, I kept the same basic CNet settings, but left Contrast at 80 (instead of 64), because that was the point at which I started to notice white clipping on the WOW disk.

Well this weekend, I got bored and decided to try the 11 pt. white balance settings from CNet. Knowing full well I have no meter, so it was just a "try it exactly, and if I don't like it, I'll zero everything out & be happy with default".

So I put in all the 11 pt. settings, and found that I lucked out, and like the results. I started flipping channels and comparing modes where I had the higher contrast, vs. 64 from the CNet setup.

In a scene from Transforms - Dark of the Moon, there is a hanger with puddles on the ground that reflect the white skies. I notice right away that with contrast-80, the puddles were blown out and almost totally white. With constrast-64, I could actually see a lot more detail. The actual reflection of a cloud. I really wish I had paused & taken a picture (sorry). I don't own this movie (it WAS Transformers, afterall).

Now, here's where it gets annoying: the professional settings apply to all modes, so by switching between them, I was really only comparing the basic settings like brightness/contrast. Therefore, I did a poor test, because I have no idea if the 11 pt. settings worked IN COMBINATION with the lower contrast, or if I just didn't notice this before. I really wish it was easier to compare, because I'm not going to zero that all out just to check In the end, I'm keeping this for a while. I also tried the 2 pt settings (gain/offset), but I'm still debating if I like that. Red does "seem" less punchy and more "accurate" to my eyes now. But I'm really happy I realized the contrast had been too high before.
post #1555 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
You may be having network issues with the TV then. Try resetting it and not setting up the network to see if that makes a difference.
I'm fairly certain they are indeed network issues as disconnecting the ethernet cable seems to fix it. I was simply wondering if anyone else with a new M series set is experiencing similar problems.
post #1556 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Purchased the M552i-B2 on Friday night and I think I've decided to keep it. However, there are some uniformity issues all around the edges of the screen (especially bad in the very top left corner as well as all along the right edge). Is this normal for this set/LEDs in particular? It's not bad, but it's also noticeable and it has become one of those things you can't unsee. I tried taking some pictures but it's really not especially noticeable on pictures (since my room isn't super dark anyways).

Hopefully things can get cleared up. I have 10 more days whether I decide to return it or not.
post #1557 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm fairly certain they are indeed network issues as disconnecting the ethernet cable seems to fix it. I was simply wondering if anyone else with a new M series set is experiencing similar problems.
I believe they problem is with your router. Most likely, if you removed the router, and hooked up the internet directly from the modem, you wouldn't have a issue.

You could call Vizio, and I believe they can help you sort out your network problem. Others have had this problem, but it's not a problem for most people.

post #1558 of 2088 Old 07-29-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I just purchased a M322I-B1 Vizio 32" Smart TV and was wondering if anyone had any picture settings that work best with it. Any help would be great, thanks!
post #1559 of 2088 Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know if they are still going to release the M series in 50" size?
post #1560 of 2088 Old 07-30-2014, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I am getting what appears to be backlight bleed or I think what some call flashlighting in the lower right corner and then not as bad at the upper left corners. When I turn on local dimming it seems to be a little bit better, but with it off you can see it pretty well on a dark scene. I just don't know if it should be taken back because I dont know if it is normal. This is for the M552i-B2

Last edited by varucell; 07-30-2014 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Missed model
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page