184Likes
post #1561 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
I believe they problem is with your router. Most likely, if you removed the router, and hooked up the internet directly from the modem, you wouldn't have a issue.

You could call Vizio, and I believe they can help you sort out your network problem. Others have had this problem, but it's not a problem for most people.
Fortunately, (or maybe unfortunately) I have far from a common home network setup so I'm 99% certain the router (a pfsense box in my case) is not producing any issues. Working through some troubleshooting steps and some traffic captures I think I've narrowed it down to MediaBrowser's DLNA client discovery causing the issues.

I'm going to try and reproduce the original behavior to verify for sure, but all seems cleared up for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtai View Post
I picked up an M602i from my local Costco yesterday and so far am quite pleased.  Prior to this I've been living with a 50" Sony SXRD rear projection set that developed the infamous green blob on the original optical block as well as the replacement block.  Needless to say, this is a nice upgrade.  However, this is my first LCD, so I'm not sure what is normal and what is not, so I'm wondering if any other owners of this set can see what looks to be a faint shadow of the LED array on large areas of solid color.

Here's a picture of what I see with the 50% grayscale test screen:

I spent my first few hours admiring the black levels and watching dark movies like Sin City, so I didn't notice this.  But now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it.  Sort of like the first time I saw rainbows on a DLP.

So before I box it up and take it back to Costco for a replacement, I'm wondering if this is typical for this set or do I actually have a defective unit?
Are any M602i-B3 owners still having this issue seeing the LEDs pattern of the Full Array Backlight?

Did Vizio fix this by reducing the maximum light output of the backlight in a firmware update so that the pattern is not visible anymore?
post #1563 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbu View Post
Are any M602i-B3 owners still having this issue seeing the LEDs pattern of the Full Array Backlight?

Did Vizio fix this by reducing the maximum light output of the backlight in a firmware update so that the pattern is not visible anymore?
I've had a M602i-B3 since they first started rolling out to Costco. I didn't really notice this until it was brought up on this forum, and now I can't stop looking for it :-/ But on mine, this is much more subtle than what shows in this picture. I have to really stare to see the full array. It doesn't pop out like that. On scenes with a lot of full screen panning, I'll notice what seems to be sudden faint "lines", which I believe are one row of the grid standing out during a pan. It's very subtle, but it is there.

FWIW, my backlight is at 45, brightness at 50, contrast at 64.
post #1564 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 64
It is listed as "Coming Soon", so I would expect so. http://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m502ib1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by propagandhi View Post
Does anyone know if they are still going to release the M series in 50" size?
post #1565 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
It is listed as "Coming Soon", so I would expect so. http://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m502ib1.html
Why is there a 49" and a 50" lol

http://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m492ib2.html

http://www.vizio.com/tvs/mseries/m502ib1.html
post #1566 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

Because they can?
post #1567 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Because they can?
Not complaining, just seems odd looking at the specs they seem the same with only a inch difference(although I don't remember what the difference in the b1 and b2 ending is).
post #1568 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by varucell View Post
I am getting what appears to be backlight bleed or I think what some call flashlighting in the lower right corner and then not as bad at the upper left corners. When I turn on local dimming it seems to be a little bit better, but with it off you can see it pretty well on a dark scene. I just don't know if it should be taken back because I dont know if it is normal. This is for the M552i-B2
So now that I look at it with 0% black I don't think it is backlight bleed. It look like the color is warmer in those corners. Local dimming virtually get rid of it though. Anyone have any ideas? I can try and post pictures later
post #1569 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I received my M602i-B3 from Samsclub today delivered by Fedex and unfortunately it looked like they dropped the box a few times because when I opened it the screen had popped out and there was obvious damage. I had to drive 35 miles to a club to return it. They refunded the money but offered zero help on expediting me a new one. Said re-order and wait a week. I'll wait until costco gets one.
post #1570 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I keep on hearing how the 2013 vizios had ips displays and the 2014 do not. Which models specifically in 2013 has the ips? I am looking for a 32" ips tv and want more choices besides the lg 32ln5300.
post #1571 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 View Post
I keep on hearing how the 2013 vizios had ips displays and the 2014 do not. Which models specifically in 2013 has the ips? I am looking for a 32" ips tv and want more choices besides the lg 32ln5300.

Not sure you'll find that information here. Best move is probably a google search or a search of the various Vizio threads if IPS is important to you. This thread is for 2014 models which is basically the information you'll find here.
post #1572 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Is Mgo one of the apps on the Vizio?
post #1573 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 64
According a quick google search, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
Is Mgo one of the apps on the Vizio?
Ph8te likes this.
post #1574 of 2586 Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are the power consumption specs on for the 65" m series correct on the vizio web site? I see the 65" is rated at 240 watts, while the 70" is rated at 99 watts. In an expensive electrical area like southern california, this difference would be quite significant, if true.
post #1575 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodan View Post
Are the power consumption specs on for the 65" m series correct on the vizio web site? I see the 65" is rated at 240 watts, while the 70" is rated at 99 watts. In an expensive electrical area like southern california, this difference would be quite significant, if true.
Same issue on 55. I *believe* the manual has the right specs, otherwise a difference would be seen on the consumtion stickers (where there isn't one).
post #1576 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Tomorrow I get my 5th replacement 65 inch straight from Vizio (I bought my first 3 from Amazon then my current one is from Best Buy and Vizio is replacing it)

On all 4 models I experienced the same banding, this terrible uniform banding which I can only think is caused by the full array LEDs.

God, The Last of Us: Remastered came out on PS4 this Tuesday and it has a lot of dark scenes where the screen gets to that dark gray where you see banding the most on a still image and my god it was terrible and this set was the best set out of the 4 and I was thinking of keeping it, but I just gave Vizio the call anyway.

I honestly don't have high hopes for the replacement Vizio is going to give me, I think this TV just has banding, the worse I've seen.

Sony is also a major brand that has been complained for banding, so man I think the only way to turn to is Samsung if you don't want flashlighting problems that Sharp TVs give. But then you'd have to go curved 4K if you want all the dimming zones like the f8000 had. Then again I could get the f8000 non white-glove delivery, but 65 inches is annoying to handle especially when you live on the 27th floor.

I've gone through:

Sharp LC-70LE650: Didn't notice banding on that TV at all, just has bad flashlighting and it seems the newer models do too.

Samsung F8000 : I gave this to my sister, theres like very minimal banding, nothing like all FOUR of my Vizios displayed and it's a different kind of banding, just like almost a graphical thing--it probably isn't even banding.

Samsung HU8550 4K TV: This TV was flawless. NO BANDING at all, but had bad dimming and way lighter blacks than our Vizios. I gave this to my dad for father's day, but it was nice to play video games on it and have 0 banding.

I might get a curved 4K Samsung now just so I can also watch movies or try Sony this year. But man this banding on this TV makes me so mad -- just ruining the amazing game (The Last of Us) with it's slightly better graphics, lol. The game is so beautiful and it's just annoying that when you're so focused on killing the bad dudes in the dark areas that your eye still catches the banding even though your just focused on other images.

Just had to go on a rant. Maybe I got unlucky and tomorrow will be a joyous day. I already ordered a sound system for the TV since the sound sucks, too.

*Oh as I catch up with this thread it seems that the banding is caused by the full-array LED's being too bright or something and Vizio may be able to fix it with a update? BTW is there a way to trigger the firmware update manually?

Last edited by konigsberg7; 07-31-2014 at 09:42 AM.
post #1577 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox View Post
Same issue on 55. I *believe* the manual has the right specs, otherwise a difference would be seen on the consumtion stickers (where there isn't one).
Thanks for suggesting I look at the manual for the correct information.
post #1578 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by konigsberg7 View Post
Tomorrow I get my 5th replacement 65 inch straight from Vizio (I bought my first 3 from Amazon then my current one is from Best Buy and Vizio is replacing it).

In related news, I'm returning my 4th Mercedes AMG SL 65 Black series, since the fragrance blend in the cabin aroma system was not quite the same blend I smelled in my test drive.
Stereodude, r0ck0, Cabby and 6 others like this.
post #1579 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Tomorrow I get my 5th replacement 65 inch straight from Vizio (I bought my first 3 from Amazon then my current one is from Best Buy and Vizio is replacing it)

On all 4 models I experienced the same banding, this terrible uniform banding which I can only think is caused by the full array LEDs.

God, The Last of Us: Remastered came out on PS4 this Tuesday and it has a lot of dark scenes where the screen gets to that dark gray where you see banding the most on a still image and my god it was terrible and this set was the best set out of the 4 and I was thinking of keeping it, but I just gave Vizio the call anyway.

I honestly don't have high hopes for the replacement Vizio is going to give me, I think this TV just has banding, the worse I've seen.

Sony is also a major brand that has been complained for banding, so man I think the only way to turn to is Samsung if you don't want flashlighting problems that Sharp TVs give. But then you'd have to go curved 4K if you want all the dimming zones like the f8000 had. Then again I could get the f8000 non white-glove delivery, but 65 inches is annoying to handle especially when you live on the 27th floor.

I've gone through:

Sharp LC-70LE650: Didn't notice banding on that TV at all, just has bad flashlighting and it seems the newer models do too.

Samsung F8000 : I gave this to my sister, theres like very minimal banding, nothing like all FOUR of my Vizios displayed and it's a different kind of banding, just like almost a graphical thing--it probably isn't even banding.

Samsung HU8550 4K TV: This TV was flawless. NO BANDING at all, but had bad dimming and way lighter blacks than our Vizios. I gave this to my dad for father's day, but it was nice to play video games on it and have 0 banding.

I might get a curved 4K Samsung now just so I can also watch movies or try Sony this year. But man this banding on this TV makes me so mad -- just ruining the amazing game (The Last of Us) with it's slightly better graphics, lol. The game is so beautiful and it's just annoying that when you're so focused on killing the bad dudes in the dark areas that your eye still catches the banding even though your just focused on other images.

Just had to go on a rant. Maybe I got unlucky and tomorrow will be a joyous day. I already ordered a sound system for the TV since the sound sucks, too.

*Oh as I catch up with this thread it seems that the banding is caused by the full-array LED's being too bright or something and Vizio may be able to fix it with a update? BTW is there a way to trigger the firmware update manually?

That sounds about right, that banding is caused by the LEDs as that's what I thought I was noticing with panning shots. Not sure why you didn't give up after 2 auditions. Funny how Katzmaier, Al and Lee (cnet, sound & vision and reviewed.com) didn't deem it necessary to point out the noticeable DSE. Throw in weak motion resolution without SME, weak video processing, and weak color performance and you have a decent TV for the price and nothing more. Great screen uniformity and the lack of non blooming light bleed is quite an accomplishment but that's not enough to cover the television's weak points IMO.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #1580 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
That sounds about right, that banding is caused by the LEDs as that's what I thought I was noticing with panning shots. Not sure why you didn't give up after 2 auditions. Funny how Katzmaier, Al and Lee (cnet, sound & vision and reviewed.com) didn't deem it necessary to point out the noticeable DSE. Throw in weak motion resolution without SME, weak video processing, and weak color performance and you have a decent TV for the price and nothing more. Great screen uniformity and the lack of non blooming light bleed is quite an accomplishment but that's not enough to cover the television's weak points IMO.
My thoughts exactly, I feel like there should be a special section for that in the reviews, even.

I wonder how Sony's flagship is doing in case of this type of banding as it is now full-array. Though, I doubt we would see a comparison of such in a CNET review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo3 View Post
In related news, I'm returning my 4th Mercedes AMG SL 65 Black series, since the fragrance blend in the cabin aroma system was not quite the same blend I smelled in my test drive.
Oh, that's a nice car dude. I hope you get that smell you're looking for.

Last edited by konigsberg7; 07-31-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: I spelled hope "how"
post #1581 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My thoughts exactly, I feel like there should be a special section for that in the reviews, even.

I wonder how Sony's flagship is doing in case of this type of banding as it is now full-array. Though, I doubt we would see a comparison of such in a CNET review.

They would only due basic comparisons between the sets since they are in opposite ends of the spectrum price wise. Also the Sony is 4K where the 1st 4k for Vizio won't be until the P series. They may not have mentioned or noticed it as much due to professional calibrations. Sometimes calibration can knock out or make manageable issues you are seeing.

If you have the money and time to wait, you may want to look at the LG 65" OLED. If you want to stay in LCD territory then the X950b is probably more I your liking. Whatever you choose though there will be compromises you'll need to make. Just need to figure out what's most important to you and seek a set that meets those "needs".
post #1582 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Yes. I don't want to displease my wife, Morgan Fairchild, as I drive.

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.
RxLink likes this.
post #1583 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
They would only due basic comparisons between the sets since they are in opposite ends of the spectrum price wise. Also the Sony is 4K where the 1st 4k for Vizio won't be until the P series. They may not have mentioned or noticed it as much due to professional calibrations. Sometimes calibration can knock out or make manageable issues you are seeing.

If you have the money and time to wait, you may want to look at the LG 65" OLED. If you want to stay in LCD territory then the X950b is probably more I your liking. Whatever you choose though there will be compromises you'll need to make. Just need to figure out what's most important to you and seek a set that meets those "needs".
Calibrations won't fix banding. Vertical banding is an artifact on your screen, in a sense.
post #1584 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Calibrations won't fix banding. Vertical banding is an artifact on your screen, in a sense.

I wasn't specifically talking about banding I apologize. You may want to reach out to Dave Katz and S&V to see if they saw banding. For those that have calibrated their sets however, the banding (outside of what's "normal") has not been discussed. In this price point there are going to be "gives" and you may be able to lessen the effect of banding (not eliminate it) via calibration. Sometimes though once you've seen the defect nothing will make you unsee it.

It seems that you can afford a higher priced, better TV (via your past purchase). I would take a hard look at some if the more expensive sets available as they may alleviate some of the issues you had with this set. There are not may FALD screens however so then you would have some type of clouding or flashlighting to possibly deal with on top of possible banding.
post #1585 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 02:02 PM

I just want a TV with no flashlighting like the Vizio has and no banding like the HU8550 had. I have no idea how to reach out to Dave Katz, I actually made a twitter account to try to contact him, but I dont think he cares about this kind of stuff or gets tons of these messages via e-mail and social media.

His review stated that the screen was really uniform, so I don't know. Also not many people complain about banding on this thread, i've counted like 4-5 in the recent 30 pages. So maybe I really did get unlucky.

I'm a bit more invested in this TV as I bought a AV receiver and 2 tower speakers because as you know, the sound on this TV isn't that great.
post #1586 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Get a plasma the things you're looking for don't occur there. As far as D Katz try the CNET website.

I've seen bad luck happen before where people go through a batch of bad sets ect. Sometimes it's the difference between expectations and what people are willing to live with.
post #1587 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 02:48 PM

When people say buy a more expensive TV, I don't get that.

I don't think the Vizio 2014 M series is cheap due to it having some sort of unique banding due to full-array, I think that's a defect or why else would Vizio, who requires proof of defect, send me a new TV?

I think it's budget because it doesn't have glass in the front, just a matte finish. The sound is terrible and mostly because the color accuracy is off.

None of that has to do with banding. CNET, for example, reviewed this TV against the Samsung F8000, which was the "tour de force of LED LCD TV design, features, and picture quality" in 2013 and this tv beat it in UNIFORMITY and black levels (which is what we're looking for in LED TVs compared to plasmas)

Whatever, I'm done. I'm pretty sure if I buy the X950B by Sony for 8 grand, I'll see the same type of banding.

I'll just deal with it and hope to get one that's not as noticeable.

Last edited by konigsberg7; 07-31-2014 at 02:53 PM.
post #1588 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 02:56 PM

post #1589 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 02:58 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw1...it?usp=sharing

Looks like the bottom right and top left is noticeably warmer. When I turn on local dimming that some what fixes the issues. Is this normal or should I take it back?

Also just a second ago the TV decided just to die completely. Couldn't get it to respond until I unplugged it and plugged it back in.

Last edited by varucell; 07-31-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Edited because of a change
post #1590 of 2586 Old 07-31-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
When people say buy a more expensive TV, I don't get that.

I don't think the Vizio 2014 M series is cheap due to it having some sort of unique banding due to full-array, I think that's a defect or why else would Vizio, who requires proof of defect, send me a new TV?

I think it's budget because it doesn't have glass in the front, just a matte finish. The sound is terrible and mostly because the color accuracy is off.

None of that has to do with banding. CNET, for example, reviewed this TV against the Samsung F8000, which was the "tour de force of LED LCD TV design, features, and picture quality" in 2013 and this tv beat it in UNIFORMITY and black levels (which is what we're looking for in LED TVs compared to plasmas)

Whatever, I'm done. I'm pretty sure if I buy the X950B by Sony for 8 grand, I'll see the same type of banding.

I'll just deal with it and hope to get one that's not as noticeable.

Cheap is price wise (it is a cheaper TV in this market). There are defects that will be more pronounced because this TV is only "mid level" in the line. You see it with any brand you go to, the more you spend the less issues you tend (not always) to have. We l see certain defects differently. You could be just ultra sensitive to the banding now that you've seen it. Again I'm not saying what you are seeing is normal, but there may be a tolerance level Vizio has with it and your sets have exceeded that tolerance (thus the replacements.)

I wish you luck and hope that you do get a set that makes you happy
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays