Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #1711 of 1796 Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Possible for m501d to play usb subtitles? Best config to brighten 3D?

Is it possible to get subtitles to play on movies when using the USB?

When 3D is active, the screen gets darker...this plus the fact that the glasses are darker seems kinda dumb. Any way to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1796 Old 08-16-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheyman12 View Post
Is it possible to get subtitles to play on movies when using the USB?

When 3D is active, the screen gets darker...this plus the fact that the glasses are darker seems kinda dumb. Any way to fix?

I think you may be looking for the 2013 model, there is no 3D on the 2014 sets.
post #1713 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the 2014 60 in M Series and Ive notice that when I turn on the TV the screen flickers after about 3 second and the video setting changes.....I hope I explained that well...

Its like the TV is adjusting the picture settings. I can't remember it doing this before but I my not have noticed it.

Should it be doing this?
post #1714 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by varucell View Post
Thinking about taking it back for this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-...700b&cp=1&lp=1
post #1715 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1976 View Post
I have the 2014 60 in M Series and Ive notice that when I turn on the TV the screen flickers after about 3 second and the video setting changes.....I hope I explained that well...

Its like the TV is adjusting the picture settings. I can't remember it doing this before but I my not have noticed it.

Should it be doing this?
Yes, this is completely normal. Apparently, the tv starts with some factory settings, then engages your custom settings a few seconds after. Should probably happen every time you turn on your tv. Nothing to worry about.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1716 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thinking about taking it back for this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-...700b&cp=1&lp=1

There are other issues you'll have to deal with if you buy that set. Take a look through that owners thread to get a better idea. It's just finding a set you can "live with" and be happy in the end.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #1717 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I always say, if you are unhappy with something on your new tv, then I would return it. Don't keep something you don't like.

Best Buy has such a short return policy, like 15 days. It's a shame you can't wait for the P series. Good chance it will be out next month, and the 50" is $999 as well. I would think it would be better then the Sony.

If you had the option to return the tv for a refund, and just hold off on a tv till next month, you might be a lot happier with the P series. Just a thought though.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1718 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 07:34 AM

varucell the E600i-b3 is a great tv, and you can get it most places for $850 and under. I love mine, and the M series doesn't really seem that much different then the E, other then lack of Banding and I see no DSE. Games, video of all kinds, and surfing the web all work great.

I just watched Tron Legacy again last night, and the blacks were great, and that's with Active LED Zones Off, I really didn't see much different between Off and On, other then the flaws when it's On. I think at least the B3 models have great blacks either way. Probably because they are Sharp Panels.

post #1719 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 08:00 AM

I am going to take it back and look at other one. Mainly the Sony. I have Elite status at Best Buy so I get 30 days.
post #1720 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
varucell the E600i-b3 is a great tv, and you can get it most places for $850 and under. I love mine, and the M series doesn't really seem that much different then the E, other then lack of Banding and I see no DSE. Games, video of all kinds, and surfing the web all work great.

I just watched Tron Legacy again last night, and the blacks were great, and that's with Active LED Zones Off, I really didn't see much different between Off and On, other then the flaws when it's On. I think at least the B3 models have great blacks either way. Probably because they are Sharp Panels.
Quote:
I always say, if you are unhappy with something on your new tv, then I would return it. Don't keep something you don't like.

Best Buy has such a short return policy, like 15 days. It's a shame you can't wait for the P series. Good chance it will be out next month, and the 50" is $999 as well. I would think it would be better then the Sony.

If you had the option to return the tv for a refund, and just hold off on a tv till next month, you might be a lot happier with the P series. Just a thought though.
I also wanted to see if other people were seeing what I was seeing. Because I might just be nitpicking.
post #1721 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I also wanted to see if other people were seeing what I was seeing. Because I might just be nitpicking.

I only saw a light case in some if the pictures. Video does not always show the errors well when being watched. You may be happier with a different set, just go in knowing you'll most likely be making a "trade" of issues (one set for another). If the Sony is one you know you'll be happy with I would make the exchange.

post #1722 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsketchie View Post
Also, the fact that the lip sync adjustment in the sound menu only adjusts in one direction, and that direction is the wrong direction, is a pretty glaring engineering oversight. Any adjustment there just makes the problem worse. No lip sync problems using the internal speakers though...and my those speakers are magnificent

Yeah...this is my problem too. It goes in the wrong direction.

I am configured a little differently DVR==> TV ==> Vizio sound bar.

I have the DVR in PCM, the TV in PCM and I have the delays. It seems worse on channels like Bravo and E! (please...it is the wife....really )

I have not played around with the bitstream setting yet, but may do that. Also, putting the sound bar in the middle is not really viable since it has limited HDMI inputs...have no place for my BD player for pure HDMI vid/sound.

Tony
TV: Vizio M702i-B3
Sound: Vizio S5451w Sound Bar
Remote: Harmony One
post #1723 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_ansley View Post
I have the DVR in PCM, the TV in PCM and I have the delays.
I get the delay whether in Dolby Digital or PCM on the DirecTV box. And some channels are worse than others. You can even notice it on some of the kids cartoons.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #1724 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

is the b1/b2/b3 panel info confirmed for the E and M lines? i've been considering the 42M from costco, which is a B1 model. now i'm curious what panel and/or trade-offs it may have over models of varying sizes/panel versions.
post #1725 of 1796 Old 08-17-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I only saw a light case in some if the pictures. Video does not always show the errors well when being watched. You may be happier with a different set, just go in knowing you'll most likely be making a "trade" of issues (one set for another). If the Sony is one you know you'll be happy with I would make the exchange.

Man the Sony is amazing not see anything that I saw on the Vizio. Thanks for all the info.
post #1726 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Has anyone done a calibration on one of these with meters/software and posted calibration charts (for stuff like grayscale, gamma, and color gamut)?

I saw CNET's results but David K always seems to have more issues with calibration than most good DIY and pro calibrators on this site. I'm particularly interested in how well the 10-pt controls and CMS work vs. a good Samsung (for example).

Also, any comments on how well the local dimming works in a dim to dark room and screen uniformity on a black screen, white screen, and gray screen.
post #1727 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Has anyone done a calibration on one of these with meters/software and posted calibration charts (for stuff like grayscale, gamma, and color gamut)?

I saw CNET's results but David K always seems to have more issues with calibration than most good DIY and pro calibrators on this site. I'm particularly interested in how well the 10-pt controls and CMS work vs. a good Samsung (for example).

Also, any comments on how well the local dimming works in a dim to dark room and screen uniformity on a black screen, white screen, and gray screen.

There have been a few members who have done calibrations (I believe 60,65,70) I don't remember anyone posting the charts however. The issues mainly are with the difficult 11pt adjustments. I believe they may be "off" where the adjustment you make is for the "next" % (10 adjusts 20, 30 adjusts 40) you'll run out of room at the end, but I've seen it posted it would be better to error high end then low end.

As far as uniformity goes via solid color screens, there have been reports of banding at various levels (mostly dependent on size (some see more than others) there are some that see it pronounced with slides but rarely with comment etc.

post #1728 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 AM

You're not alone in this. I also have DSE mainly when watching football. I was watching Frozen last night and during the opening scenes there was some god awful awful issues where any movement resulted in terrible motion blur making everything black where the motion was.

I'm not sure if I should be returning the TV or just accepting this as "normal" for being LED and cheap. My other TV is a Panasonic 55ST50 and the more I switch between the two the more I see how bad the Vizio actually is.
post #1729 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stpw View Post
You're not alone in this. I also have DSE mainly when watching football. I was watching Frozen last night and during the opening scenes there was some god awful awful issues where any movement resulted in terrible motion blur making everything black where the motion was.

I'm not sure if I should be returning the TV or just accepting this as "normal" for being LED and cheap. My other TV is a Panasonic 55ST50 and the more I switch between the two the more I see how bad the Vizio actually is.
I bought the Sony KDL55W700B as a replacement for the M552i and it doesn't have any of those problems. It is the same panel as the W800B without 3D. It is only at Best Buy and it is a 100 dollars more. If you get the moving packet from USPS you can get 10 percent off which makes it 899.99.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-...700b&cp=1&lp=1
post #1730 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I calibrated my M652i-B2 with a Colormunki Photo (rented from Lensrentals.com) and HCFR. I gave up trying to get the gamma accurate because when I had it close, according to the meter, there was visible errors and problems at the low end when watching content. I'm not certain if the problem was with the meter reading incorrectly or what, so I just gave up and got the greyscale accurate, and the color as accurate as I could. I'm currently looking for a good meter to buy so I can keep working on the gamma. I'm not sure how to get the calibration charts from HCFR, but I'll post them if I figure it out.

It was a very frustrating set to calibrate because you could never tell what % the various controls were going to change in the 10-pt. Some % the red would actually change the red for that %. Some it would change the red for the % directly above it, and some would change 20% or 30% above what it was labeled as. And the blue would often change a different % above what the red did. So it took a lot of trial and error to figure out what % needed to be changed to adjust the window I was currently displaying. For example, if I had a 60% window up I might have to adjust the red for 50%, and the blue for 40%. But for a 50% window it might have been the red and blue for 30% adjusted it. It had no rhyme or reason. And the 5% and 100% didn't seem to adjust much of anything.

post #1731 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stpw View Post

Sounds like you are having a hardware problem. I have the E600i-b3 and it's awesome. Everything looks great on it. Vizio is the best for the money right now. If you are having problems, it's either the source, or the tv. I don't know what model you have, but switch it out for a B3 model. You'll probably be a lot happier.

post #1732 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
There have been a few members who have done calibrations (I believe 60,65,70) I don't remember anyone posting the charts however. The issues mainly are with the difficult 11pt adjustments. I believe they may be "off" where the adjustment you make is for the "next" % (10 adjusts 20, 30 adjusts 40) you'll run out of room at the end, but I've seen it posted it would be better to error high end then low end.

As far as uniformity goes via solid color screens, there have been reports of banding at various levels (mostly dependent on size (some see more than others) there are some that see it pronounced with slides but rarely with comment etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post
I calibrated my M652i-B2 with a Colormunki Photo (rented from Lensrentals.com) and HCFR. I gave up trying to get the gamma accurate because when I had it close, according to the meter, there was visible errors and problems at the low end when watching content. I'm not certain if the problem was with the meter reading incorrectly or what, so I just gave up and got the greyscale accurate, and the color as accurate as I could. I'm currently looking for a good meter to buy so I can keep working on the gamma. I'm not sure how to get the calibration charts from HCFR, but I'll post them if I figure it out.

It was a very frustrating set to calibrate because you could never tell what % the various controls were going to change in the 10-pt. Some % the red would actually change the red for that %. Some it would change the red for the % directly above it, and some would change 20% or 30% above what it was labeled as. And the blue would often change a different % above what the red did. So it took a lot of trial and error to figure out what % needed to be changed to adjust the window I was currently displaying. For example, if I had a 60% window up I might have to adjust the red for 50%, and the blue for 40%. But for a 50% window it might have been the red and blue for 30% adjusted it. It had no rhyme or reason. And the 5% and 100% didn't seem to adjust much of anything.
thanks, seems like the 10-pt controls aren't as good as the Samsungs (which work fine unless you lower contrast from the 95-100 range)

another question is do you calibrate with local dimming on or off and how good is the local dimming in terms of blooming and other visible artifacts like fluctuating backlight brightness
post #1733 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
thanks, seems like the 10-pt controls aren't as good as the Samsungs (which work fine unless you lower contrast from the 95-100 range)

another question is do you calibrate with local dimming on or off and how good is the local dimming in terms of blooming and other visible artifacts like fluctuating backlight brightness
I calibrated it with local dimming on since that was how I planned on viewing content. I have noticed some issues with the local dimming, mainly in a dark viewing environment with credits at the beginning or end of a movie. I've only seen the zones dimming or activating in normal content a couple times, and only once was it distracting from the scene I was watching. I don't have experience with other local dimming LCDs though, I've always had plasma until now.

post #1734 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

If you would imagine a 8R x 4C matrix on your screen you'll see blooming where you would expect to see it, credits at the end of a movie would be the most easy instances to spot. An interesting quark I noticed is when you have a scene where one character is against a black background and another character is against a lighter background, when going from the character against the black background to the character against the lighter background it takes a split second for the zones to engage (i.e., to lighten up). Overall the dimming scheme is a plus but its operation will be noticeable at times even in non graphical scenes.

For clarification, uniformity is excellent, you only see banding (DSE) when the camera pans. Other than blooming I noticed no light bleed issues. I had a 49" model which is a B2 model, apparently the B3 models are better with banding issues. Though the M series is one of the better LCD holding its own against the best 1080p displays from Sony and Samsung I doubt you'll like the M series as nearly as much as your 5300 if you have the same priorities as me for PQ.

The P series should be better in all aspects especially with video processing but if you followed the 2014 VE HDTV shootout even the LCDs with stratosphere prices were far from overwhelming to the participants.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #1735 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 PM

Does anyone know any other details about the (Film Mode) setting? Should there be any benefit in using it? I personally don't see any difference when watching blu ray so I turned it off. Am I missing the point of what this setting is supposed to do?
post #1736 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the M602i-B3 with a harmony remote. The remote works perfectly controlling the TV with everything except that it will not turn the TV off - does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #1737 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
If you would imagine a 8R x 4C matrix on your screen you'll see blooming where you would expect to see it, credits at the end of a movie would be the most easy instances to spot. An interesting quark I noticed is when you have a scene where one character is against a black background and another character is against a lighter background, when going from the character against the black background to the character against the lighter background it takes a split second for the zones to engage (i.e., to lighten up). Overall the dimming scheme is a plus but its operation will be noticeable at times even in non graphical scenes.

For clarification, uniformity is excellent, you only see banding (DSE) when the camera pans. Other than blooming I noticed no light bleed issues. I had a 49" model which is a B2 model, apparently the B3 models are better with banding issues. Though the M series is one of the better LCD holding its own against the best 1080p displays from Sony and Samsung I doubt you'll like the M series as nearly as much as your 5300 if you have the same priorities as me for PQ.

The P series should be better in all aspects especially with video processing but if you followed the 2014 VE HDTV shootout even the LCDs with stratosphere prices were far from overwhelming to the participants.
is there a b3 model in the 49" size? don't see it on Vizio's website

what's the difference between b1, b2, and b3?
post #1738 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Difference as far as we know is panel maker. There was discussion awhile back regarding this. Gathered from what we have gleaned from the manuals (like models share the same manual) it would seem to confirm the Panel/Bx never correlation.

post #1739 of 1796 Old 08-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:

No b3 panel for the 49" M but the mysterious 50" M (I say that because it hasn't been released yet and it's weird to have two models within an inch of each other) appears to be the only model to have the b1 panel.

Samsung PN60E7000
Samsung PN51F5300
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #1740 of 1796 Old 08-19-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone have an opinion on what seems to be the "best" panel. Still waiting/reading trying to decide on the 60M or 65M--neither of which have I seen w/ my own eyes's! Or at this point do I wait out the 60" P?? Any input will be appreciated...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page