Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 59 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 275Likes

post #1741 of 3552 Old 08-19-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1880 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by basskisser View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on what seems to be the "best" panel. Still waiting/reading trying to decide on the 60M or 65M--neither of which have I seen w/ my own eyes's! Or at this point do I wait out the 60" P?? Any input will be appreciated...

Of you are in no rush to upgrade and can afford the 60P then wait. The P series offers more upgrades than just resolution.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 3552 Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post
I calibrated it with local dimming on since that was how I planned on viewing content. I have noticed some issues with the local dimming, mainly in a dark viewing environment with credits at the beginning or end of a movie. I've only seen the zones dimming or activating in normal content a couple times, and only once was it distracting from the scene I was watching. I don't have experience with other local dimming LCDs though, I've always had plasma until now.
How do the blacks on a dark scene compare to the plasmas you've had? Shadow detail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
If you would imagine a 8R x 4C matrix on your screen you'll see blooming where you would expect to see it, credits at the end of a movie would be the most easy instances to spot. An interesting quark I noticed is when you have a scene where one character is against a black background and another character is against a lighter background, when going from the character against the black background to the character against the lighter background it takes a split second for the zones to engage (i.e., to lighten up). Overall the dimming scheme is a plus but its operation will be noticeable at times even in non graphical scenes.

For clarification, uniformity is excellent, you only see banding (DSE) when the camera pans. Other than blooming I noticed no light bleed issues. I had a 49" model which is a B2 model, apparently the B3 models are better with banding issues. Though the M series is one of the better LCD holding its own against the best 1080p displays from Sony and Samsung I doubt you'll like the M series as nearly as much as your 5300 if you have the same priorities as me for PQ.

The P series should be better in all aspects especially with video processing but if you followed the 2014 VE HDTV shootout even the LCDs with stratosphere prices were far from overwhelming to the participants.
I've heard the Vizo E and M series LED-LCDs are not quite up to plasma levels for home theater use (dim to dark room). However, if I do choose to get another set anytime soon (like 6 months to a year from now) I'm trying to see what the next best thing is considering my F5300 only cost me $650 at the time I got it (January 2014).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Difference as far as we know is panel maker. There was discussion awhile back regarding this. Gathered from what we have gleaned from the manuals (like models share the same manual) it would seem to confirm the Panel/Bx never correlation.

I wonder if it's like the Samsung panel lottery, which includes entirely different LCD matrix types (S-PVA, A-MVA, S-MVA, U2VA, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
No b3 panel for the 49" M but the mysterious 50" M (I say that because it hasn't been released yet and it's weird to have two models within an inch of each other) appears to be the only model to have the b1 panel.
Yeah I wonder what the differences between the 49" and 50" will be, if any. I still have a hard time understanding why the Vizio M series is so cheap price wise for the 49", considering it has 32 local dimming zones and is backlit instead of edgelit. I imagine video processing and calibration control issues are the main reasons why.

I've also been comparing the Vizio E and M series to the Samsung UN48H6350 and UN50H6203. Those models don't have local dimming but are backlit and with better frame interpolation and calibration controls. However, I wonder how much better they are then my 2012 UN46EH6030, which doesn't hold a candle to my F5300 in terms of overall PQ.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #1743 of 3552 Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
How do the blacks on a dark scene compare to the plasmas you've had? Shadow detail?
The blacks are better than I expected, but I wasn't expecting much from any LCD. It replace a ST60 that I was having horrible IR problems with, and of course black level and shadow detail aren't as good as it, or the Kuro 5020FD in my bedroom. But I'm satisfied with black level and shadow detail.
post #1744 of 3552 Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
I wonder if it's like the Samsung panel lottery, which includes entirely different LCD matrix types (S-PVA, A-MVA, S-MVA, U2VA, etc.)

Not like Samsung panel lottery as far as we know. There is no mixing of panels within the size (all 50's will have the same etc) there is only one IPS panel in the smaller sizes the rest are VA. From what we saw early on the "panel" (B2,B3) all seem to share the same maker within their group.

post #1745 of 3552 Old 08-19-2014, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was at my local Costco searching for tv's and have narrowed it down to two sets.

Samsung UN65H6300

or

Vizio M652i-B2

The Samsung is on sale and both sets are within $10 of one another. I was at the store and could not tell the difference between the two when looking at the picture. This set will be in my living room. Viewing area couch is 12 feet from the tv.

Which is the better tv?
post #1746 of 3552 Old 08-19-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Samsung will most likely have better processing, calibration control and color.

The Vizio will most likely have better uniformity and contrast/black levels.

When people ask what's best, it's a subjective question that differs from person to person. What's best for you may not be best for another person. It all depends on what you are looking for.

fafrd likes this.
post #1747 of 3552 Old 08-20-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Samsung will most likely have better processing, calibration control and color.

The Vizio will most likely have better uniformity and contrast/black levels.

When people ask what's best, it's a subjective question that differs from person to person. What's best for you may not be best for another person. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Interesting, I've been comparing the UN48H6350, UN50H6203, and M492i-B2. That's basically what I've taken away from my research.
venus933 likes this.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #1748 of 3552 Old 08-21-2014, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Seems like the last few days I am not noticing the same severity of lipsync between M602i-B3 and DirecTV. Anyone else?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #1749 of 3552 Old 08-21-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremygary View Post
Seems like the last few days I am not noticing the same severity of lipsync between M602i-B3 and DirecTV. Anyone else?

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

I haven't really had a chance to test the theory, I have always noticed some channels are worse than others (Bravo, E!, etc.). That being said, I was watching our local NBC affiliate - via DirecTV feed - and I really could not detect any sync issues.

I will look more tonight and see if the "troubled channels" are any better.

Tony
TV: Vizio M702i-B3
Vizio M422i-B1
Sound: Vizio S5451w Sound Bar
Remote: Harmony One
post #1750 of 3552 Old 08-21-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_ansley View Post
I haven't really had a chance to test the theory, I have always noticed some channels are worse than others (Bravo, E!, etc.). That being said, I was watching our local NBC affiliate - via DirecTV feed - and I really could not detect any sync issues.

I will look more tonight and see if the "troubled channels" are any better.
I have actually noticed that the lip sync issue has almost disappeared too.
post #1751 of 3552 Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Strongly considering replacing this TV if I still can once I get back from my trip next week. The dirty screen effect is really annoying and the motion resolution is awful. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a $900 TV.
post #1752 of 3552 Old 08-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Turned on my TV a few minutes ago and it popped up that I had received a firmware upgrade. 1.34.44. Anyone else get it?

Got a great deal from a local ISF calibrator who calibrated my old Samsung and he will be here tomorrow at 1PM. He also goes on tours. I am happy he will be here before heading out on a long, Midwest tour. I am really looking forward to a professional calibration. He worked wonders with my old Samsung DLP.

Edit: I'll post how well it turned out hopefully this weekend.
Ph8te likes this.

Vizio M602i-B3

Last edited by MoInSTL; 08-22-2014 at 07:06 PM.
post #1753 of 3552 Old 08-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I may be getting an M 2i-B3, but I have read in reviews that unless you turn on the dejudder and therefore deal with SOE, the motion resolution is terrible (only 300 lines). Also, it seems some are reporting dirty screen issues. I thought M model had good screen uniformity, being full array lit... Are the owners here experiencing such issues and how bad is it? Thanks for any feedback...
post #1754 of 3552 Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
I may be getting an M 2i-B3, but I have read in reviews that unless you turn on the dejudder and therefore deal with SOE, the motion resolution is terrible (only 300 lines). Also, it seems some are reporting dirty screen issues. I thought M model had good screen uniformity, being full array lit... Are the owners here experiencing such issues and how bad is it? Thanks for any feedback...

You can have DSE and great screen uniformity. I often find these questions "how bad is it" "which is the best" which are subjective questions. You may not be bothered by it at all where as others may hate it. As far as "terrible" DLP often known for its MR only really achieves 300 lines. Sometimes we get so caught up in the numbers we forget to take things into perspective.

PlasmaPZ80U and venus933 like this.
post #1755 of 3552 Old 08-23-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just recently got an M422i-B1, and am having a really hard time finding a satisfying picture setting. Calibrated is alright, but I feel like with all of the advanced options, there's gotta be something better. I tried CNET's stuff, and it just made it worse. I also don't want to pay any more money just to get the color right.

Also, just today I'm having a hard time getting HDMI CEC to work. I have a Chromecast, PS4, PS3 (slim), and a DIRECTV box. I know for sure that all of those except the DIRECTV box have CEC functionality, but my TV is not seeing them. It previously saw them, but ever since I plugged my PS3 in, and rescanned for it to see that, it finds NOTHING.

Both of these are rather annoying. Any solutions to either?
post #1756 of 3552 Old 08-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
You can have DSE and great screen uniformity. I often find these questions "how bad is it" "which is the best" which are subjective questions. You may not be bothered by it at all where as others may hate it. As far as "terrible" DLP often known for its MR only really achieves 300 lines. Sometimes we get so caught up in the numbers we forget to take things into perspective.

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed I would have to decide if what others here are seeing on their TV's is relevant for my final choice or not (obviously I'll have a look myself as well), but thought I could hear what current owners tend to perceive or not. Usually there are some common things most owners agree with in most threads, so I figured if a few owners jump out immediately, confirming they noticed some screen uniformity issues for instance, then I know that's something to look for (and indeed determine if it is "that bad" for me personally). Or if a few people confirmed the motion was "jumpy" and not very smooth without SOE, that'd be an indication too...
If you care to share your take on these aspects (motion and screen uniformity as you see it on your set), I do appreciate it... I will of course have a close look at it at a store anyway
post #1757 of 3552 Old 08-23-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed I would have to decide if what others here are seeing on their TV's is relevant for my final choice or not (obviously I'll have a look myself as well), but thought I could hear what current owners tend to perceive or not. Usually there are some common things most owners agree with in most threads, so I figured if a few owners jump out immediately, confirming they noticed some screen uniformity issues for instance, then I know that's something to look for (and indeed determine if it is "that bad" for me personally). Or if a few people confirmed the motion was "jumpy" and not very smooth without SOE, that'd be an indication too...
If you care to share your take on these aspects (motion and screen uniformity as you see it on your set), I do appreciate it... I will of course have a close look at it at a store anyway

I haven't made the jump yet, trying to hold out for the 65P, I may just "need" no jump and get the 65M however. Ive seen the set in stores and some motion looks "off" to me, but then again its something I probably could get used to.

Screen uniformity outside of reports of banding have been generally pretty good. The one thing that comes up the most is the banding issue, which can differ from person to person and source to source (which is why I say its hard to say "what" to look for. There are more than a few owners reports within the thread however that give a good idea of what to expect. These owners come from various sets previously so its "well rounded" feedback.

Also, I always take what I hear and see on forums such as these with a grain of salt, the main focus of these forums is to report problems, so there will be what seem to be an overabundance of issues with the sets. Members here tend to be more picky about certain things than the "gen pop". If you are coming from a plasma you should set your expectations lower as the E and or M will not perform as a plasma does. If your coming from an LCD (depending on the brand) there may be other tradeoffs as well. If motion is a sticking point for you, and it seems it is, I would put some test material on a USB stick and take it into the store. Ask for a remote or bring your own pre programmed universal and adjust settings to see the differences. There is no real way to tell however until its in home. Hopefully the retailer you shoes has a good return policy.
post #1758 of 3552 Old 08-23-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
As far as "terrible" DLP often known for its MR only really achieves 300 lines.
Source please. Never read that.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #1759 of 3552 Old 08-23-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Source please. Never read that.

It's in one of the video shootout threads....don't have the source handy

post #1760 of 3552 Old 08-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Post-Calibration

Thought I would post part of the post-calibration report. Looks much, much better. I'm happy. He also created a profile for night viewing, day viewing and gaming.

"The main areas of improvement after calibration were gamma tracking (consistent brightness moving up the grayscale curve), and color gamut accuracy.

The pre-calibration grayscale had relatively small errors but they were mostly plus-red errors, which are problematic, even in small degree. Post-calibration grayscale was very good, with virtually no error across the board (note, the errors shown at 10% are hardware measurement errors, and these levels were double-checked by eye).

Gamma improvement was significant. Basically gamma is the brightness of the grayscale as it moves up the curve; like every other aspect for grayscale, there is a standard for how bright the TV should be at each measured grayscale level, based off the maximum brightness. Well-behaved gamma creates a smoother, more natural-looking images, particularly in images with mixed lighting levels (bright and dark areas adjacent). The color gamut improvements were also very helpful, and you can see the main differences in the Delta E 1994 graph (the goals is to have error bars of 3 or below). Of course, that wasn't possible with the Red primary, due to the red primary saturation issue that is well-documented in reviews and online".

Edit: I forgot to add that he has 12 years of experience and he made small adjustments by eye afterward to fine tune it a tad better. (Actual picture versus calibrations screens).

FWIW, I have TV, Directv HR-24 DVR and Xbox One plugged into a Yamaha RX-377. Use one HDMI cable to the TV. The other devices are fed into the receiver.

I'm quite pleased with my budget setup.
Ph8te likes this.

Vizio M602i-B3

Last edited by MoInSTL; 08-24-2014 at 01:49 PM.
post #1761 of 3552 Old 08-24-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys. i have had my M602i-B3 for about 2 months now, i am having a few issues and i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When i turn my TV on i get the Vizio logo as usual but then the screen turns solid gray/black for a varying amount of time, between 5-12 seconds or so, i don't think this happened before, also it seems to revert to " standard " picture mode. It actually sticks to my custom settings yet it says its in " standard " mode. has this happened to anyone else?

The second problem i'm having is that i don't seem to be getting firmware updates and if i am the " system information " menu is not updating, right now it says my current version is V1.34.23.0190. can anyone confirm the latest firmware?

I know we are supposed to get updates randomly but i have had this TV for 2 months now. Although i remember a few weeks ago i had a pop up menu notify me that " smart interactivity " was added suggesting i am in fact getting updates, yet this is not reflected in my System menu.? Thanks guys : )

Last edited by Lazerith; 08-24-2014 at 09:58 PM.
post #1762 of 3552 Old 08-24-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wasn't Scott Wilkinson supposed to review the 2014 M Series set he received a few weeks ago? I would really like to hear what he has to say. A staff member at Rtings.com told me we could look forward to a review from them also.
Lazerith likes this.

Last edited by Steelman99; 08-24-2014 at 07:16 PM.
post #1763 of 3552 Old 08-25-2014, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, recently purchased an M492i-B2. Great picture. Having audio sync problems. Different for different channels. Running through Charter Communications cable box->HDTV (via HDMI)->Vizio s3821w-C0 sound bar(digital out). The audio seems to be behind the video. Barely, but it's noticeable. Digital Out is set to PCM.

Suggestions? Picture and Value are way too great not to troubleshoot.
post #1764 of 3552 Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphillips34 View Post
Hi, recently purchased an M492i-B2. Great picture. Having audio sync problems. Different for different channels. Running through Charter Communications cable box->HDTV (via HDMI)->Vizio s3821w-C0 sound bar(digital out). The audio seems to be behind the video. Barely, but it's noticeable. Digital Out is set to PCM.

Suggestions? Picture and Value are way too great not to troubleshoot.

Is the audio still delayed when not using the soundbar? It seems most reports of audio sync issues are those using a soundbar (mainly Vizio). Also don't forget to call Vizio and report the issue, the more people that call and report it the more likely it will be fixed.

post #1765 of 3552 Old 08-26-2014, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i guess no one else has had this problem? i guess i will just take it back. i hope they don't give me a hard time about it > < i'm going to get the same model and size.
post #1766 of 3552 Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerith View Post
i guess no one else has had this problem? i guess i will just take it back. i hope they don't give me a hard time about it > < i'm going to get the same model and size.

We have seen people have the TV start in a different mode then "flash" to their custom settings. If anything try a factory reset.

Of there are no firmware updates then how do you know you're not getting them? Vizio is very random with updates and deployment. If it worries you that much call them up.

post #1767 of 3552 Old 08-26-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Okay, so I know what Smooth Motion and Motion Blur Reduction do. What about when both are on at the same time? Does it insert black frames and interpolate half as many than when Blur Reduction is off?

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
post #1768 of 3552 Old 08-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerith View Post
Hey guys. i have had my M602i-B3 for about 2 months now, i am having a few issues and i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When i turn my TV on i get the Vizio logo as usual but then the screen turns solid gray/black for a varying amount of time, between 5-12 seconds or so, i don't think this happened before, also it seems to revert to " standard " picture mode. It actually sticks to my custom settings yet it says its in " standard " mode. has this happened to anyone else?

The second problem i'm having is that i don't seem to be getting firmware updates and if i am the " system information " menu is not updating, right now it says my current version is V1.34.23.0190. can anyone confirm the latest firmware?

I know we are supposed to get updates randomly but i have had this TV for 2 months now. Although i remember a few weeks ago i had a pop up menu notify me that " smart interactivity " was added suggesting i am in fact getting updates, yet this is not reflected in my System menu.? Thanks guys : )
I can confirm both happen with my 65".
Lazerith likes this.
post #1769 of 3552 Old 08-26-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have the new M702i-B3 and I just got a Harmony Smart Control (hub and remote). The damn thing will not select any input but "TV" (the antenna input) when I start an activity with the Harmony. I have Watch TV configured to use HDMI2 on the Vizio, but whenever starting that activity the TV winds up on the "TV" input (even though it wasn't on that when it turned off). I've fiddled with the delays but to no effect...this is maddening. I've also already tried using another Vizio model number known to have discrete input codes (see here: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmon...s/td-p/1118387). No dice. Any ideas?
post #1770 of 3552 Old 08-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersmj View Post
I have the new M702i-B3 and I just got a Harmony Smart Control (hub and remote). The damn thing will not select any input but "TV" (the antenna input) when I start an activity with the Harmony. I have Watch TV configured to use HDMI2 on the Vizio, but whenever starting that activity the TV winds up on the "TV" input (even though it wasn't on that when it turned off). I've fiddled with the delays but to no effect...this is maddening. I've also already tried using another Vizio model number known to have discrete input codes (see here: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmon...s/td-p/1118387). No dice. Any ideas?
I fixed this...had to install their crappy desktop app and dig into the device's input codes. Logitech had incorrectly mapped all of the input codes for this TV to "Exit", which apparently puts on you on the TV input. That only took 90 minutes to solve. Once again, Logitech software proves to be a nightmare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page