139Likes

post #1771 of 1952 Old 08-26-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 135
MoInSTL;
This was using just the user accessible controls? No one knows the access to the SM do they?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1952 Old 08-26-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoInSTL View Post
Thought I would post part of the post-calibration report. Looks much, much better. I'm happy. He also created a profile for night viewing, day viewing and gaming.

"The main areas of improvement after calibration were gamma tracking (consistent brightness moving up the grayscale curve), and color gamut accuracy.

The pre-calibration grayscale had relatively small errors but they were mostly plus-red errors, which are problematic, even in small degree. Post-calibration grayscale was very good, with virtually no error across the board (note, the errors shown at 10% are hardware measurement errors, and these levels were double-checked by eye).

Gamma improvement was significant. Basically gamma is the brightness of the grayscale as it moves up the curve; like every other aspect for grayscale, there is a standard for how bright the TV should be at each measured grayscale level, based off the maximum brightness. Well-behaved gamma creates a smoother, more natural-looking images, particularly in images with mixed lighting levels (bright and dark areas adjacent). The color gamut improvements were also very helpful, and you can see the main differences in the Delta E 1994 graph (the goals is to have error bars of 3 or below). Of course, that wasn't possible with the Red primary, due to the red primary saturation issue that is well-documented in reviews and online".

Edit: I forgot to add that he has 12 years of experience and he made small adjustments by eye afterward to fine tune it a tad better. (Actual picture versus calibrations screens).

FWIW, I have TV, Directv HR-24 DVR and Xbox One plugged into a Yamaha RX-377. Use one HDMI cable to the TV. The other devices are fed into the receiver.

I'm quite pleased with my budget setup.
Can you post your setting....I would like to try them out on my TV
post #1773 of 1952 Old 08-26-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Is the audio still delayed when not using the soundbar? It seems most reports of audio sync issues are those using a soundbar (mainly Vizio). Also don't forget to call Vizio and report the issue, the more people that call and report it the more likely it will be fixed.
Yes there is still a delay without the sound bar. And my Charter box doesn't seem to have all the bells and whistles as the comcast boxes to help the situation. Would a receiver be helpful? I'd rather not have to go that route.
post #1774 of 1952 Old 08-26-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Well I have been following the Vizio M series release since february, and have had my heart set on the M552i-B2 since then. But due to summer getting crazy, I have really fallen of the edge of the earth when it comes to reading this thread. Right now I am on the cusp of buying a new set, and am wondering, now that the M series has been out a little while and we have a bigger sample size, is the M series all that we had hoped for? Should I still consider this as a decent set? Did it deliver on what it promised?

In that price range, and similar features, is there another set I should consider?
post #1775 of 1952 Old 08-26-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaque Flag View Post
Well I have been following the Vizio M series release since february, and have had my heart set on the M552i-B2 since then. But due to summer getting crazy, I have really fallen of the edge of the earth when it comes to reading this thread. Right now I am on the cusp of buying a new set, and am wondering, now that the M series has been out a little while and we have a bigger sample size, is the M series all that we had hoped for? Should I still consider this as a decent set? Did it deliver on what it promised?

In that price range, and similar features, is there another set I should consider?

We hoped for? Hmmmm that depends on who you are....the M series is more than a decent set I would say. Sure there are issues as with every set, but owners seem to be happy more than not. Not sure what was promised that it ended to deliver on.

You may want to consider a plasma? Again it depends on your needs and wants.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #1776 of 1952 Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
We hoped for? Hmmmm that depends on who you are....the M series is more than a decent set I would say. Sure there are issues as with every set, but owners seem to be happy more than not. Not sure what was promised that it ended to deliver on.

You may want to consider a plasma? Again it depends on your needs and wants.

Yeah sorry, should have been a bit more specific.

Basically just that the LDZ tech made an improvement over traditional LED edge lit technology. That the user experience was good, that there were no major issues or concerns that made themselves manifest. I wasnt expecting this set to be a phenom or anything, but that it would be a more than decent LED set, that would compete with higher end ones.
I have ruled out plasma so I am set on an LED in this price range.
Based on your initial response, I think I can assume that its still a go for me.
post #1777 of 1952 Old 08-26-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Got a firmware update today on my 60". Not sure what's different. Anyone know?

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #1778 of 1952 Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yeah sorry, should have been a bit more specific.

Basically just that the LDZ tech made an improvement over traditional LED edge lit technology. That the user experience was good, that there were no major issues or concerns that made themselves manifest. I wasnt expecting this set to be a phenom or anything, but that it would be a more than decent LED set, that would compete with higher end ones.
I have ruled out plasma so I am set on an LED in this price range.
Based on your initial response, I think I can assume that its still a go for me.
As a plasma owner myself and this being my first LED tv I could actually live with I can tell you that it competes with my main plasma tv in most categories. Black level is surprisingly good with no flashlighting or uniformity issues which is what I love about plasma. It handles motion 85% as good as plasma. I think the judder on screen pans and fast moving objects is better on my plasma and viewing angles are not an issue as I have the Vizio directly in front of my seating area in my office. My plasma however is in our living room and I can easily watch it from the dinning room table which is almost 140-150 degrees off. No way you're doing that with the Vizio. Sound, I have a dedicated home theater in the living room and a sound bar on the Vizio. The tv speakers aren't horrible... Cost well I paid $1200 for the 60" Vizio and $2300 for my 65" plasma 3 years ago so you do get some bang for the buck. The built in wifi and apps is a plus although most dvd players and gaming consoles can do the same. Speaking of gaming, my Xbox One looks and plays just as good as on the plasma. No game lag that I notice and the image quality is great. Overall and I think I have said this on other posts, if you know what to expect and not have to high of expectations you will find the Vizio a very good tv. It has some quirks but so does every technology. You just have to find what you are willing to live with at your price point. Having said that I have not found a reason to return the Vizio yet and I'm one picky SOB so I hope that helps you guys on the fence....
Blaque Flag likes this.
post #1779 of 1952 Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM

Perfect Rob. Thanks!
post #1780 of 1952 Old 08-27-2014, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1976 View Post
Can you post your setting....I would like to try them out on my TV
Won't have time until this weekend.

Every panel is different. Otherwise there would be more success with the CNet settings.

I don't think my settings will do you any good, but can PM you them this weekend.

Vizio M602i-B3

Last edited by MoInSTL; 08-27-2014 at 04:42 AM.
post #1781 of 1952 Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thumbs up Vizio M422i-b1 Calibration Settings

I have been playing around a bit with Calman v4 and the AVFoundry generator and came up with some settings that I find pleasing on my set. I calibrated the TV several times, narrowing down "neutral"

I find that these color settings give very good, neutral results. Color seems to be alive and vibrant without peaking. In general I do not not notice any annoying color casts. I do have the sharpness turned up a few numbers higher (53 vs 47) as I did the calibration with all settings in "off" mode, but then went back in and turned some on some of the options to see what I liked, what looked better etc.

I did turn on the signal noise and the black noise reduction, so to compensate this I upped the sharpening a tad, (Which adds some noise, but in general it is a better balance)

Take a look and try these settings with your set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.45.37 PM.png
Views:	125
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	232137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.46.21 PM.png
Views:	108
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	232145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.46.39 PM.png
Views:	104
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	232153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 3.46.56 PM.png
Views:	103
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	232161  
Barry R. Guzik and lionelhuts like this.
post #1782 of 1952 Old 08-27-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

For the price, the television is OK. You will need to tweak some settings and if you can live with a lot of dirty screen effect then it is right up your alley. Watching my Panasonic ST50 after using the M552i is a night and day difference when it comes to motion and black levels(as expected).
post #1783 of 1952 Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
MoInSTL;
This was using just the user accessible controls? No one knows the access to the SM do they?
Unlike my Samsung that he calibrated via the SM, I'm thinking no.

I'll ask him to double check, but he didn't mention it.

EDIT: Here's his response:
No, just the user menu. It's pretty unusual to need to access the service menu on TVs for the past 3 or 4 years. Panasonic was one of the last holdouts. Everything needed (or available} is going to be in the user menus.

Vizio M602i-B3

Last edited by MoInSTL; 08-27-2014 at 06:03 PM.
post #1784 of 1952 Old 08-27-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thought I would post part of the post-calibration report. Looks much, much better. I'm happy. He also created a profile for night viewing, day viewing and gaming.

"The main areas of improvement after calibration were gamma tracking (consistent brightness moving up the grayscale curve), and color gamut accuracy.

The pre-calibration grayscale had relatively small errors but they were mostly plus-red errors, which are problematic, even in small degree. Post-calibration grayscale was very good, with virtually no error across the board (note, the errors shown at 10% are hardware measurement errors, and these levels were double-checked by eye).

Gamma improvement was significant. Basically gamma is the brightness of the grayscale as it moves up the curve; like every other aspect for grayscale, there is a standard for how bright the TV should be at each measured grayscale level, based off the maximum brightness. Well-behaved gamma creates a smoother, more natural-looking images, particularly in images with mixed lighting levels (bright and dark areas adjacent). The color gamut improvements were also very helpful, and you can see the main differences in the Delta E 1994 graph (the goals is to have error bars of 3 or below). Of course, that wasn't possible with the Red primary, due to the red primary saturation issue that is well-documented in reviews and online".

Edit: I forgot to add that he has 12 years of experience and he made small adjustments by eye afterward to fine tune it a tad better. (Actual picture versus calibrations screens).

FWIW, I have TV, Directv HR-24 DVR and Xbox One plugged into a Yamaha RX-377. Use one HDMI cable to the TV. The other devices are fed into the receiver.

I'm quite pleased with my budget setup.

If you haven't already you may want to add your experience in the "calibration reports" thread maintained by @htwaits

MoInSTL likes this.
post #1785 of 1952 Old 08-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you haven't already you may want to add your experience in the "calibration reports" thread maintained by @htwaits

Thanks. I can do that.

Vizio M602i-B3
post #1786 of 1952 Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stpw View Post
For the price, the television is OK. You will need to tweak some settings and if you can live with a lot of dirty screen effect then it is right up your alley. Watching my Panasonic ST50 after using the M552i is a night and day difference when it comes to motion and black levels(as expected).
I bought the M322i-B(2014 version, Costco) for my bedroom, and surprisingly I've yet to see any motion blur. Is it just due to the smaller size?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #1787 of 1952 Old 08-27-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post
I bought the M322i-B(2014 version, Costco) for my bedroom, and surprisingly I've yet to see any motion blur. Is it just due to the smaller size?
Yes, smaller screen and longer viewing distance definitely impact how much of a problem it is.
post #1788 of 1952 Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Got a firmware update today on my 60". Not sure what's different. Anyone know?
me too on 55.
post #1789 of 1952 Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Liked: 11
M55 Firmware update?

I have a M552i-B2 and have not received any updates.
My M55 has firmware V1.34.25.0996-135

What is the number of your firmware after the update?
Thanks in advance.
post #1790 of 1952 Old 08-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

I have a different set, but on 8/22 I got 1.34.44.

Vizio M602i-B3
post #1791 of 1952 Old 08-28-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I have a different set, but on 8/22 I got 1.34.44.
I have an M602i-B3, but it's still on 1.34.23.0190.
Is there a setting to enable or disable updates?
post #1792 of 1952 Old 08-28-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbu View Post

Just have to be patient, there are no options that I've seen posted to check for firmware updates manually.

post #1793 of 1952 Old 08-29-2014, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just have to be patient, there are no options that I've seen posted to check for firmware updates manually.

Ph8te is correct. No settings. FWIW, I am using a wired Ethernet cable. Probably has nothing to do with receiving it when I did.

I'm more interested in finding a changelog or what the fixes are.

Vizio M602i-B3
post #1794 of 1952 Old 08-29-2014, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbu View Post
Same model here. Received the new 1.34.44 FW update two days ago. No idea what the changes are.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
post #1795 of 1952 Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What sorts of settings are people using for Smooth Motion Effect (SME) and Motion Blur Reduction?

I have the M702i and this is my first LCD (had plasmas), and I usually hate these sorts of artificial enhancements, but I can't stand how jerky everything is with SME off. Does anyone actually find things watchable with SME off? I think the best setting is Low. Above that and things seem to jump between artificially smooth (soap opera) and slower, almost jerky.

I've mostly left MBR off.
post #1796 of 1952 Old 08-29-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremygary View Post
Same model here. Received the new 1.34.44 FW update two days ago. No idea what the changes are.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
My M552i-B2 received v1.34.46.1166_135 early this morning 8/29. Vizio chat provided the following information:

That update updated the Amazon application and added the professional picture settings within the Picture menu on the TV.
It also improved the overall performance of the Netflix application.

I tried to press for additional details, but the Chat agent had no more information than these statements.
post #1797 of 1952 Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldemanphil View Post
I have a M552i-B2 and have not received any updates.
My M55 has firmware V1.34.25.0996-135

What is the number of your firmware after the update?
Thanks in advance.
My M552i-B2 is v1.34.46.1166_135

I have never seen it do an update since I've owned it(few weeks now), but I have issues with HDMI 2 and 3 not functioning until I physically unplug from back of television, so I'm hoping a firmware update fixes that.
post #1798 of 1952 Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I just picked up a M552i-B2 from Costco tonight to compare against the E500i-B1 I've had for the past couple of weeks that was good, but not blowing my hair back.

Right out of the box I'm having a bad case of the WTFs? The CNET settings are absolutely horrible (just did the basics and RGBCMY Color Tuner) and colors are mushy, soft and just bleah. When I bring up the Menu or Info screens, the boxes "bloom" and change contrast. With ALZ on there is substantial glowing around things like the Play icon on my PS3. When stopping a BD, the black screen has plenty of glow as if the ALZ wasn't working. On the E500, it would go BLACK.

Looking at Clone Wars on Netflix I can see glowing around the figures which happened with my E500 before I started tweaking, but with the same sorts of settings (i.e. everything off but ALZ) it still looks funky.

I like the size and depending on the content it can look pretty snazzy, but I'm not digging the lack of calibrations out there. I thought it'd be more prevalent than my E500.

Firmware is V1.34.25.0996_135 which is pretty ancient from what I'm seeing. I can't believe we can't manually check. My Sharp has that option. Pffft. Also, the inability to have saved CMS settings available across ALL inputs instead of having to do them repeatedly is stupider than stoopid. Double pffftt to that.

Â
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Latest review:
Â
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DirkBelig; 08-29-2014 at 07:23 PM.
post #1799 of 1952 Old 08-29-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe the CNet settings were for the 60" which is why they wouldn't translate to the 55".

As far as settings go, use one of the many available settings disks to give you the basics. In order to do any of the advanced settings you'll need a monitor as those are largely dependent set by set.

post #1800 of 1952 Old 08-30-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Schweikert View Post
I have been playing around a bit with Calman v4 and the AVFoundry generator and came up with some settings that I find pleasing on my set. I calibrated the TV several times, narrowing down "neutral"

I find that these color settings give very good, neutral results. Color seems to be alive and vibrant without peaking. In general I do not not notice any annoying color casts. I do have the sharpness turned up a few numbers higher (53 vs 47) as I did the calibration with all settings in "off" mode, but then went back in and turned some on some of the options to see what I liked, what looked better etc.

I did turn on the signal noise and the black noise reduction, so to compensate this I upped the sharpening a tad, (Which adds some noise, but in general it is a better balance)

Take a look and try these settings with your set.
I'll give these a try on my 42" set tomorrow and report back. Thanks for sharing.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page