145Likes

post #1801 of 2095 Old 08-30-2014, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by td.reedy View Post
My M552i-B2 received v1.34.46.1166_135 early this morning 8/29. Vizio chat provided the following information:

That update updated the Amazon application and added the professional picture settings within the Picture menu on the TV.
It also improved the overall performance of the Netflix application.

I tried to press for additional details, but the Chat agent had no more information than these statements.
Thanks for the info

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2095 Old 08-30-2014, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I have always found CNET reviews to be garbage, and their settings to be horrible.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #1803 of 2095 Old 08-30-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For everyone using these tvs with PC's. do you use 235 color or 255 color? I can't find anywhere where it says if the tv would accept 255. right now im using mpc hc and madmvr set to 235
post #1804 of 2095 Old 08-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by renji1337 View Post
For everyone using these tvs with PC's. do you use 235 color or 255 color? I can't find anywhere where it says if the tv would accept 255. right now im using mpc hc and madmvr set to 235
Don't computers use 32-bit color now? I'm guessing you're talking about something else, but I've never seen reference to 235 or 255 color on tv's. I know mine is suppose to do 1.07 billion colors, and the highest I have seen on computers is 32,000 colors. I'm no expert on tv's, and I'm always interested in learning new things.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1805 of 2095 Old 08-30-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
Don't computers use 32-bit color now? I'm guessing you're talking about something else, but I've never seen reference to 235 or 255 color on tv's. I know mine is suppose to do 1.07 billion colors, and the highest I have seen on computers is 32,000 colors. I'm no expert on tv's, and I'm always interested in learning new things.
Hes referencing color space values....(Full) 0-255, and is usually associated with PC\HTPC settings. TV content, Movies, Etc are usually mastered\set in the 16-235 color space...Sometimes you'll see this referenced as PC (0-255) and Video (16-235). Either can be used really from what little I do know...
post #1806 of 2095 Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I left my M552i-B2 on overnight to burn in a bit and to see if the firmware would update. I shut it down this afternoon and when I turned it on later, it proclaimed it had updated to v1.34.46.1166_135. The menu looks better (no fade in; better readability) but the Info/Guide still looks off.

Since CNET settings are naff, I decided to see what just doing the basics with WOW would accomplish without messing with any of the color tuning stuff. This is what I got:

ABC: Off
Backlight: 60
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 80
Color: 57
Tint: -2
Sharp: 45
Color Temp: Normal
Black Detail: Off
ALZ: On
Smooth: Off
MBR/RSN/RBN: Off
Film: Auto

I must say that this is the best that either set (E500, M552) has looked. Period. I'm frankly wondering how much more I need to do? I've fed it in the past day Avatar, Prometheus, Pacific Rim, Gravity, South Pacific, West Side Story, Adventures of Tin Tin, Life of Pi, Apocalypse Now, Watchmen Ultimate Cut, etc. and everything looks rich, punchy in the reds and greens, especially Life of Pi and Avatar. The glow bleeding around the play indicators is gone, though it still takes about a half second to black out the screen when nothing is on it.

EDIT: After the FW update, I double-checked with WOW and setting Contrast was different. Before it was clear that 80 was the point where the 100% white star in the Advanced Contrast pattern was not visible, but the 1% (or 99% if you prefer) wasn't as clearly delineated as before. I tried between 79 and 80 for Contrast, but the lower number, which makes the 1% star look way too dark.

Now for the problems. The A/V sync test shows the audio ~125ms ahead of the video and the Lipsync control has no effect. I don't notice anything really amiss watching the PS3 thru a Samsung AVR into the M552, but the test says what it says. I stream Bitstream analog from the TV to the AVR for Chromecast and TV viewing and on one channel it appeared the synch was off, but generally it's OK. I've seen references to a problem with sync, but haven't investigated further.

A peskier issue is that when stopping a BD on the PS3, about 80% of the time the screen goes black, the info box pops up on the TV saying the resolution is 2880 x 1080 (or 2881 x 1080) and it stays blacked out, not going to the XMB unless I pop in another disc (which autoplays) or I switch to another input. My old Philips used to have a problem with the screen going all pink when a BD had SD supplements, like Breaking Bad does. I always thought it was a HDMI handshake issue of some sort. Could this be a factor, something with the AVR?

I'm 95% certain I'll be boxing up the E500 for return because I like the larger screen and there's no dim vignetting in the corners. Yeah, it's $280 more (Costco has a $50 rebate on the M552, so that helps), but I gotta watch the TV more than the money in the bank.

Last edited by DirkBelig; 08-31-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Added post-FW notes
post #1807 of 2095 Old 08-31-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
Don't computers use 32-bit color now? I'm guessing you're talking about something else, but I've never seen reference to 235 or 255 color on tv's. I know mine is suppose to do 1.07 billion colors, and the highest I have seen on computers is 32,000 colors.
What to the bolded part? 24-bit color, the standard on computers since the turn of the century provides 16,777,216 (16.7) million colors (32-bit is like 24 with an additional 8-bit alpha channel) while 16-bit is good for 65,536 colors; 8-bit has 256 colors. Your 1 billion colors indicates 30-bit deep color.

Last edited by DirkBelig; 08-31-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: fixed punctuation
post #1808 of 2095 Old 08-31-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just wanted to say thanks for all the people that have posted here!

I just bought a M422i-B1 from Amazon Prime for 499.99. I expect it to come in this Wednesday!
post #1809 of 2095 Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndork2 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for all the people that have posted here!

I just bought a M422i-B1 from Amazon Prime for 499.99. I expect it to come in this Wednesday!
Drawbacks aside, Vizio seems to be making some pretty decent stuff, at a competitive price. I saw a 60" at Costco for $1150. The picture looked pretty good for a store set up.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #1810 of 2095 Old 08-31-2014, 04:10 PM

The problem with looking at them in-store is that the Store Demo mode (it has the bar across the bottom listing features) throws it in to Vivid mode for maximum torchness. Thoroughly eye-searing.

With a $50 rebate running through Sept. 30, the 55" M552i-B2 is $830, pre-tax. I just got one (see above) and I'm really liking it.
post #1811 of 2095 Old 08-31-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
The problem with looking at them in-store is that the Store Demo mode (it has the bar across the bottom listing features) throws it in to Vivid mode for maximum torchness. Thoroughly eye-searing.

With a $50 rebate running through Sept. 30, the 55" M552i-B2 is $830, pre-tax. I just got one (see above) and I'm really liking it.

You can knock it out of this mode if you bring a USB stick with media and either use your own universal or store provided remote (this is what I did).

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
post #1812 of 2095 Old 08-31-2014, 06:37 PM

I was wondering what the practical impact of the slow response of the ALZ - the way it takes a fraction of a second to dim and come up - would be and I just saw it in distracting action.

There's a scene in Weeds S1E02 (it's on Netflix) starting at 11:23 (fixed time index) where Elizabeth Perkins is having a conversation with a teenager in a stairwell. She's got a huge white poster behind her and his angle has a dark blue and maroon color scheme. As the camera cut back and forth, there was a really noticeable change in the intensity as the set sloooooowly goes from having full-blast illumination from her side to the darker shades of his side. An extreme case, perhaps, but it shows the ALZ isn't fast enough. Perhaps they went slower to prevent noticeable strobing, but this is still visible.

EDIT: For grins I reran WOW with ALZ turned off and my settings were the same for brightness and contrast, but different for color and tint. Now looking at:

Backlight: 50
Color: 59 (was 57)
Tint: 2 (was -2)
ALZ: Off

The Weeds scene doesn't have the "swelling" of the backlight catching up. Still watching to see what it looks like overall. Started watching The Hobbit 2 (of 36) on HBO GO until I realized it was the usual widescreen chop job with the OAR of 2.40:1 lopped down to 1.78:1 and during the opening credits, the glow around the white-on-black titles was very distracting. The problem is that already I'm annoyed that the blacks are just gray now. Bother.

Last edited by DirkBelig; 09-01-2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: fixed time index; added last graf
post #1813 of 2095 Old 09-01-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A couple of new obvservations I wanted to share on my M602i-B3... Just in case this helps someone else. I've had the set since they were first available.

First, if you are using the PS3 with a calibration disk (like WOW), don't be like me and have the "Super White" setting turned OFF. This is what allows the PS3 to output above white and below black (0-255), which is important in setting your levels. Once I realized that, I turned it on and recalibrated to the settings below. This gives me just a little headroom above white. Note: I am still using the cnet 10-point and 2-point settings, so YMMV. The picture looks great to me. Unfortunately there's no easy way to switch back and forth on the professional settings to compare and I'm too lazy to 0 them all back out.

The other important observation is that is looks like I may have cleared up almost all of my DSE. Since I was in the settings I decided to give Motion Blur Reduction another shot. While motion may be slightly better (if at all), I was surprised to see that I don't notice any dirty screen effect anymore. I have to try really hard to see it, and it is almost gone completely. I did double my backlight from 44 to 88, so I should be looking at effectively the same light output.

Backlight: 88
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 77
Color: 47
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
ALZ: on
MBR: on
All others off
post #1814 of 2095 Old 09-02-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
I left my M552i-B2 on overnight to burn in a bit and to see if the firmware would update. I shut it down this afternoon and when I turned it on later, it proclaimed it had updated to v1.34.46.1166_135. The menu looks better (no fade in; better readability) but the Info/Guide still looks off.

Since CNET settings are naff, I decided to see what just doing the basics with WOW would accomplish without messing with any of the color tuning stuff. This is what I got:

Backlight: 60
Color: 57
Tint: -2
ALZ: On

I must say that this is the best that either set (E500, M552) has looked. Period. I'm frankly wondering how much more I need to do? I've fed it in the past day Avatar, Prometheus, Pacific Rim, Gravity, South Pacific, West Side Story, Adventures of Tin Tin, Life of Pi, Apocalypse Now, Watchmen Ultimate Cut, etc. and everything looks rich, punchy in the reds and greens, especially Life of Pi and Avatar. The glow bleeding around the play indicators is gone, though it still takes about a half second to black out the screen when nothing is on it.

EDIT: After the FW update, I double-checked with WOW and setting Contrast was different. Before it was clear that 80 was the point where the 100% white star in the Advanced Contrast pattern was not visible, but the 1% (or 99% if you prefer) wasn't as clearly delineated as before. I tried between 79 and 80 for Contrast, but the lower number, which makes the 1% star look way too dark.

Now for the problems. The A/V sync test shows the audio ~125ms ahead of the video and the Lipsync control has no effect. I don't notice anything really amiss watching the PS3 thru a Samsung AVR into the M552, but the test says what it says. I stream Bitstream analog from the TV to the AVR for Chromecast and TV viewing and on one channel it appeared the synch was off, but generally it's OK. I've seen references to a problem with sync, but haven't investigated further.

A peskier issue is that when stopping a BD on the PS3, about 80% of the time the screen goes black, the info box pops up on the TV saying the resolution is 2880 x 1080 (or 2881 x 1080) and it stays blacked out, not going to the XMB unless I pop in another disc (which autoplays) or I switch to another input. My old Philips used to have a problem with the screen going all pink when a BD had SD supplements, like Breaking Bad does. I always thought it was a HDMI handshake issue of some sort. Could this be a factor, something with the AVR?

I'm 95% certain I'll be boxing up the E500 for return because I like the larger screen and there's no dim vignetting in the corners. Yeah, it's $280 more (Costco has a $50 rebate on the M552, so that helps), but I gotta watch the TV more than the money in the bank.
Pretty much the same settings I use. I was having issues with people's faces looking like lobsters and discovered my Pro color settings had a bunch of settings in there. I'm not sure if this is default from the calibrated mode or a remnant of me screwing around testing someone else's color results. Guessing the former, but would like confirmation.

Once the pro colors were zeroed out, everything began to look better and the bad DSE I had lessened, but it is still there.

I've also experimented with turning the zones off and while it did stop some of the glowing/transition issues, blacks in certain areas stopped being blacks and more gray. Most noticeable is the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen during a movie.
post #1815 of 2095 Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekarjala View Post
I took delivery of a new M552i-B2 one week ago and am growing to like it after some tweaking.
I hope this helps someone else out and I welcome any suggestions for improvement.

Great post
ekarjala.
Well written and helpful.

Especially thanks for posting your settings for the M552i-B2.
I have tried every M-series "setting" posted that I've come across and overall yours look the best (on my particular set).
To my eyes, the M552i-B2 factory settings are ok for almost everything except the green/red ratios that are key to realistic skin tones.
Also had the same problem with my replaced E55 Vizio .
Like they were calibrated by little green people from Mars...

These new E/M/P Vizio sets have Lots of nice technical features that are not well documented ...example "Using the Color Tuner".
There is a steep learning curve but, when set up properly, they are capable of a great picture.
My only real complaint with the M55 is its somewhat reflective LCD panel. Ours is in the man-cave so it's a controllable issue for us.
Did have to replace a large white lamp next to my viewing seat.
So how does it look?
Watched Nat. Geographic Aerial America show in HD off cable on the M55 and it looked detailed enough to be 4K...Awesome.
Also re-watching first season of LOST (reg DVD not Blu-Ray) with nice Pany Blu-Ray player feeding the M55 and WOW.
JPEGS from USB sticks are displayed extremely well.This M55 has the best (most realistic) picture I've ever seen on a home TV set.
Set up properly, give it good input and it is capable of rewarding you with a kick-ass picture.
Can't wait for the P55...
This forum has much useful info hidden in it for those of us seeking guidance...

Me, Long retired from IBM.
Long time photo/video-buff..
Electronic tech in my short 4 year Navy stint.
Built a couple of Heathkit TVs many years ago.
Bought one of the first 31" Mitsubushi(sp) color CRT sets in wheeled pecan console back in the late 80s for about $3,200.
Most expensive TV I've bought and is still running in my wifes sisters house.
Currently have six Vizio TVs in the house from 20 inch to M55 and one lone 32" Samsung..
Gone through...VHS, SVHS, mini-DV, CD, HD DVD, DVD recorders, extensive DVD collection and.a few Blu-Rays.
First home TV I remember seeing was in early 50s rural NC... had 3 or 4 inch round B &W CRT as I remember and the station only broadcast a few hours a day. I can't handle whats coming next ...must be Nap time for grandpa...
ekarjala likes this.

Last edited by Oldemanphil; 09-02-2014 at 12:05 PM.
post #1816 of 2095 Old 09-02-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend a good wall mount for the m492i-b2? Its going on a brick wall...
post #1817 of 2095 Old 09-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skowser View Post
Can anyone recommend a good wall mount for the m492i-b2? Its going on a brick wall...
I bought mine on Amazon for about $75. I mounted mine above my fireplace, which has 24" on center studs. So, I needed a mount that would work in that particular situation. The one I bought is built like a tank (I could probably hang from it and it wouldn't move) and articulates and extends via dual arms. It's probably overkill for what you need, but I'm more than pleased with my purchase to hang my 49" Vizio.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #1818 of 2095 Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Someone else posted this recently on one of these Vizio threads. I have no knowledge of it, but the price sure looked good! $28.59. And almost 4000 reviews with 4.6 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WYVBR0/...iglink20246-20
post #1819 of 2095 Old 09-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This mount has really good reviews, and there are people that have used it to mount on a brick wall. Here's the Link. $28.59 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WYVBR0/...I2MX2PW9R0YYHV

Comes with free HDMI cable and bubble leveler.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 16gb ram, 30tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
post #1820 of 2095 Old 09-02-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hello,

does anyone know the details about a recent update to the 42"?

v 1.34.41.0000
post #1821 of 2095 Old 09-02-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Are there any screen uniformity issues or bleeding problems on these? Specifically the M602i-B3

Also these do proper 24p 2:2 pulldown right?
post #1822 of 2095 Old 09-02-2014, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hey guys,

I have an m652 that's less than a month old. I just noticed in some dark scenes that there were horizontal lines across the screen. Never experienced this before. After changing HDMI cable, video source, different HDMI input, etc, it was definitely the TV. But when I increased the brightness by a lot and dropped it back down, the lines went away. Now I'm not sure if I should get a replacement or not? Anyone have any idea what happened? I have 4 more days to replace the TV with Amazon

Last edited by mzaur; 09-02-2014 at 10:31 PM.
post #1823 of 2095 Old 09-02-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmo85 View Post
Are there any screen uniformity issues or bleeding problems on these? Specifically the M602i-B3

Also these do proper 24p 2:2 pulldown right?
Don't have any on mine but it's a crap shoot with whichever one you get. Some have bad banding, darker corners, splotches....seems to be across any brand so buy from a place you can return if you get something you can't live with. YMWV

Yes the 120hz/240hz native panels can do 24p properly from my understanding.
post #1824 of 2095 Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestions on the wall mount. I've only watches the set for a an hour or so but i am noticing a terrible lip sync problem on lots of channels. Anyone else have this issue?
post #1825 of 2095 Old 09-03-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions on the wall mount. I've only watches the set for a an hour or so but i am noticing a terrible lip sync problem on lots of channels. Anyone else have this issue?

Known issue, please switch your cable box audio to PCM. That should clear up most of the lip sync issues.

post #1826 of 2095 Old 09-03-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Known issue, please switch your cable box audio to PCM. That should clear up most of the lip sync issues.

Thank you!
post #1827 of 2095 Old 09-03-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

It doesn't always resolve...still have the issues with mine even in PCM mode.
TheCrow1994 likes this.

Tony
TV: Vizio M702i-B3
Sound: Vizio S5451w Sound Bar
Remote: Harmony One
post #1828 of 2095 Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_ansley View Post
You using Satellite tv?

post #1829 of 2095 Old 09-03-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_ansley View Post

That's why I said "most" there are still users that have the sync issue and use soundbars. This had been unresolved and hopefully people are calling Vizio to open tickets.

post #1830 of 2095 Old 09-03-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:

My cable box (samsung smt-c5320 from optimum) has two options: Dolby digital or stereo. The TV is connected directly to the box, no receiver.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page