Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 287Likes

Old 09-03-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4005 Post(s)
Liked: 3206
Quote:
Originally Posted by skowser View Post
My cable box (samsung smt-c5320 from optimum) has two options: Dolby digital or stereo. The TV is connected directly to the box, no receiver.

Not familiar with that cable box, try Stereo if you are not using an AVR then Stereo should be fine.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS
RDHolmes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Not familiar with that cable box, try Stereo if you are not using an AVR then Stereo should be fine.

Still having lip sync issues...no other way to fix it?
Old 09-03-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Still having lip sync issues...no other way to fix it?

There is a lip sync setting within the options. Outside if that call Vizio and report it.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblast View Post
You using Satellite tv?
Yes, DirecTV with latest generation Genie.

Tony
TV: Vizio M702i-B3
Vizio M422i-B1
Sound: Vizio S5451w Sound Bar
Remote: Harmony One
Old 09-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
That's why I said "most" there are still users that have the sync issue and use soundbars. This had been unresolved and hopefully people are calling Vizio to open tickets.

Yup. I did send in a trouble ticket and they responded with directions on how to enable ARC and CEC control...even though I clearly stated that I had all of that enabled already! , Oh well...they told me I should call in directly rather than using their online tools...just haven't had time to do so.

Tony
Vizio M422i-B1
Old 09-03-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_ansley View Post
Yup. I did send in a trouble ticket and they responded with directions on how to enable ARC and CEC control...even though I clearly stated that I had all of that enabled already! , Oh well...they told me I should call in directly rather than using their online tools...just haven't had time to do so.

Yes for these issues always call, this way issues can get escalated more easily. Once it's been escalated, others can hopefully relate one of the already created tickets to theirs thus linking the issues and hopefully raising the awareness/severity.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Schweikert View Post
I have been playing around a bit with Calman v4 and the AVFoundry generator and came up with some settings that I find pleasing on my set. I calibrated the TV several times, narrowing down "neutral"

I find that these color settings give very good, neutral results. Color seems to be alive and vibrant without peaking. In general I do not not notice any annoying color casts. I do have the sharpness turned up a few numbers higher (53 vs 47) as I did the calibration with all settings in "off" mode, but then went back in and turned some on some of the options to see what I liked, what looked better etc.

I did turn on the signal noise and the black noise reduction, so to compensate this I upped the sharpening a tad, (Which adds some noise, but in general it is a better balance)

Take a look and try these settings with your set.
I tried them over the last few days and sadly these settings do not look good on my set. I went back to my WOW settings.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_ansley View Post
Yes, DirecTV with latest generation Genie.
It would seem most the people having lipsync issues are using a Satellite box, Or a sound bar.
Ph8te likes this.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 32gb ram, 34tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
Old 09-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Just replaced my m3d550kd with an m602i-b3 and wow the blacks are amazing.

What is the latest firmware and what has changed in it?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It would seem most the people having lipsync issues are using a Satellite box, Or a sound bar.
not me, cable box...
Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
not me, cable box...

Could be your specific cable box (Samsung) it's strange that you see lip sync issues with all channels even with Stereo selected as the output on the box. Not sure if there are other options for cable boxes in your area (I know there are a couple for my provider). Other than that not much people can do but call and create tickets with Vizio.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Could be your specific cable box (Samsung) it's strange that you see lip sync issues with all channels even with Stereo selected as the output on the box. Not sure if there are other options for cable boxes in your area (I know there are a couple for my provider). Other than that not much people can do but call and create tickets with Vizio.

I agree, maybe you have a older box, or can swap it for a different one, that might give you what you're looking for. Might be all you can do to fix the problem. Who knows, Vizio may never correct the issue for the one's that are having issues.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3, 950watts, Intel 3770k, 32gb ram, 34tb, Sli Nvidia 480, THX Sound Card, Logitech THX z906 Speakers, E600i-b3, Yamaha v375, Cerwin Vega VS150, VS120, L7's, and Klipsch 2.2
Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Strange thing is, its not on all channels and the channels it does happen on is in varying degrees.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Strange thing is, its not on all channels and the channels it does happen on is in varying degrees.
This is what other users are experiencing as well (with soundbar and satellite). You might try a factory reset, but the best thing is for everyone to call in and create tickets. Once these tickets are created it would probably be good to get everyone's ticket number and then have then entered into each others tickets so that they can be "linked". Hopefully by this linking or relating it will elevate the issue more quickly.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Then I have the double wammy since I have BOTH!

Tony
Vizio M422i-B1
Old 09-04-2014, 01:37 PM

The picture is awesome on my set but i cannot live with the lip sync problem, its all over the place channel by channel. Going to return the set and get something different. So much for trying to save some money...
Old 09-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Do these sets have a service menu and if so is there anything worthwhile adjusting in it?
Old 09-04-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmo85 View Post
Do these sets have a service menu and if so is there anything worthwhile adjusting in it?

I would think yes and no one knows as codes haven't been released. It's best to wait and have someone else be guinea pig and to inform what does what, else many people might brick their TV with no recourse.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Try getting even a service manual for any Vizio set in the past 3 or so years.

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Comparision between a M602I-B3, a Samsung UN60D6400 and a LG 4k 55"

I finally decided to go to BB and scope out what they had and was majorly surprised at the amount of 4K models on display. Talk about pushing something. Gotta be some major profit here to make up for the past years of price cutting. I'm also surprised how many are sucked in with these considering the lack of viewing material available. I see some of these manufactures are claiming an increase in quality of 1080 material on a 4K set which is highly debatable AFAIC.

Anyway, the three sets left to right were a (what I thought was a 60") 55" Goldstar (LG) 4k model that I couldn't get the model number since the tag was so small. In the middle was the 60" Vizio and to the right was a 60" Samsung UN60D6400.
All all at the same height. AFAIK, neither the Goldstar nor the Sammy had local dimming and both were edge lit unlike the Vizio.

As it stood, I believe at the default settings, I immediately noticed the Vizio had a lack of detail that was very noticeable in the faces. The 'not the best' 'loop' BB runs does have a couple of scenes that are good for comparison, namely one with a girl staring out in the distance doing a slow turn. The clip was only a few seconds but long enough to make the comparison (if your eyes are fast enough). The LG and Sammy had a clear edge, but both appeared to have a 'enhanced' look to them. Looking at the small 'fine print' text at the bottom of th screens during a couple of the portions of the loop confirmed this with obvious overshoot.

Most sets did not have a remote (which I expected), BUT the Vizio did (to my surprise). Luckily the LG & Sammy had that 'joystick' control on the back of each set allowing somewhat easy menu access. I'm kinda use to the Vizio menu, but the other two were similar at least the video settings were. After 15 minutes of tweaking all three by trial and error, compromising the settings watching the various clips in their loop, by increasing the sharpness in the Vizio and reducing it on the LG and Sammy along with a few other tweaks, I managed to get all three on a level playing field.

But, the Vizio was still in last place as far as fine detail. Though, no where near as bad as it was when I first viewed it.

I couldn't test for black levels for the usual reasons; store lighting, but mostly because of the content in their video (by design of course). I did turn off the local dimming on the Vizio and it was very obvious when I did so. The overall light output increased substantially. I did check out reflections and the Vizio was in the middle with the Sammy having the dullest and the LG the most defined reflections of the stores lighting. As shown through numerous screen shots over at rtings.com excellent review site, the least distracting reflections were with the LG. The most was the Samsung.

Of course, this was surely not a scientific test my any means, but gave me new things to look for when I go to another BB store and try a comparison there. Sorry, I didn't write any settings down, it probably wouldn't mean much considering the stores lighting. I also don't know if the LG being a 4K set made a difference in viewing the same RF source. It surely wasn't any major improvement over the Samsung as far as detail. That kinda answers my statement in the first paragraph at least with that LG model. I wasn't able to see banding in any of the clips, so I couldn't make that comparison between models.

I was leaning highly towards the M602, but now I have some doubts.

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.

Last edited by videobruce; 09-05-2014 at 03:28 AM. Reason: correct size of the Goldstar & added text
Old 09-04-2014, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Conflicted on the M552i-B2 or the M602i-B3. Most of the people with the LED array showing have the B3 where others with banding and other issues have the B2. Namely I don't want to deal with going back and forth with a huge TV to keep swapping out for new ones from Costco.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMyHeadBuyer View Post
Conflicted on the M552i-B2 or the M602i-B3. Most of the people with the LED array showing have the B3 where others with banding and other issues have the B2. Namely I don't want to deal with going back and forth with a huge TV to keep swapping out for new ones from Costco.
In my opinion, the B3's are the best panels in the line. So, that's what I would go with.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
In my opinion, the B3's are the best panels in the line. So, that's what I would go with.
Even though it seems most of the reviews say the B3's have a red push?
Old 09-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMyHeadBuyer View Post
Even though it seems most of the reviews say the B3's have a red push?
I own the E600i-b3, and I don't notice a red push. Everything seems good to me. Even if it was true though, there are flaws in all tv's, I believe the positives more then outweigh the negatives on the B3, compared to the rest of the line, and more other brands for that matter. I love the blacks on the B3, no Active LED Zones needed for them. Also remember, the source of video plays an important part on how good the blacks, and color, and over all picture looks. Doesn't matter how good a tv is, if the source of video is recorded poorly, then blacks will be more gray. But the tv is only displaying what it's told to display. Everything is digital now. Digital tv's don't know how to display air, so, when a non-video is displayed, it just looks like a bad blacks, because it's just the backlight. Instead of just showing no video during that time, if the tv was told instead to display a black screen, then it would look great, and you would say to yourself, wow, that was a pretty black screen right there.

Just remember though, Vizio isn't Samsung, Samsung's color is always overdone. Makes it stand out a lot, I guess more POP, but it seems a bit unrealistic to me. The Vizio, looks more normal, colors are good, they just don't knock you over the head with them.

I'm thinking that the P series, might really change things, and the color and all will be even better.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
I own the E600i-b3, and I don't notice a red push. Everything seems good to me. Even if it was true though, there are flaws in all tv's, I believe the positives more then outweigh the negatives on the B3, compared to the rest of the line, and more other brands for that matter. I love the blacks on the B3, no Active LED Zones needed for them. Also remember, the source of video plays an important part on how good the blacks, and color, and over all picture looks. Doesn't matter how good a tv is, if the source of video is recorded poorly, then blacks will be more gray. But the tv is only displaying what it's told to display. Everything is digital now. Digital tv's don't know how to display air, so, when a non-video is displayed, it just looks like a bad blacks, because it's just the backlight. Instead of just showing no video during that time, if the tv was told instead to display a black screen, then it would look great, and you would say to yourself, wow, that was a pretty black screen right there.

Just remember though, Vizio isn't Samsung, Samsung's color is always overdone. Makes it stand out a lot, I guess more POP, but it seems a bit unrealistic to me. The Vizio, looks more normal, colors are good, they just don't knock you over the head with them.

I'm thinking that the P series, might really change things, and the color and all will be even better.
Pretty much disagreed with everything you stated except that the B3 models may have the best panel and of course I too am looking forward to the P series but I probably have more realistic expectations than most.

Samsung LCD units have very accurate color accuracy (they may be overdone in Vivid mode) per reviews and my own eyes. This is one area where Samsung has a distinct advantage over Vizio with the M series. As for good black levels, the native black levels are mediocre especially compared to plasmas, again per most reviews and my own eyes.

Samsung PN60E7000
LG 55EG9100
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 415
As long as you can calibrate color accuracy, who cares about the out of the box performance?

You can DIY with a meter or pay the $200 to get it calibrated.

Samsung 55ES8000
Vizio 70 P Series, Calibration settings
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Denon X4200, 5.1.4 setup
Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post
As long as you can calibrate color accuracy, who cares about the out of the box performance?

You can DIY with a meter or pay the $200 to get it calibrated.

Even when calibrated some units perform better than others.

Samsung PN60E7000
LG 55EG9100
Old 09-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Pretty much disagreed with everything you stated except that the B3 models may have the best panel and of course I too am looking forward to the P series but I probably have more realistic expectations than most.

Samsung LCD units have very accurate color accuracy (they may be overdone in Vivid mode) per reviews and my own eyes. This is one area where Samsung has a distinct advantage over Vizio with the M series. As for good black levels, the native black levels are mediocre especially compared to plasmas, again per most reviews and my own eyes.
I've heard many people say that Samsung color can be a bit much, never said that was wrong, just not exactly realistic. The likely hood if I walked outside, and saw the same scene displayed on a Samsung, that my eyes wouldn't see the colors the same.

Now, I'm not saying Samsung's don't have good picture, just that the color can be a bit much. I've owned many Samsung's, and was never really happy with the color. There was always something off about it. But there really wasn't anything better to get.

I would invite anyone over to my house and sit down and look at the blacks on my E600i-b3, then tell me that's mediocre. If these blacks are mediocre, then I'll take it happily. I've also read many reviews of people that love the blacks.

I doubt that there are that many people that watch as much video, and as much different kinds of video on their Vizio as I do. So, I have tons of first hand knowledge on how the E600i-b3 views many different videos, and how the quality of black changes from video source to video source.

If you are getting mediocre blacks, then it's the source, it's the instructions that the tv is receiving, telling it to display that level of black, not the tv's inability to display good blacks. Will it be plasma blacks, probably not, but I use my E600i-b3 as a computer monitor, and that's not good for plasma. If you are use to high end tv's, then you might be expecting to much. I think most people would find the Vizio's blacks to be quite good, and better then their last tv, as long as that tv wasn't a plasma, or a expensive high end. For the money Vizio does a very good job, if you want better, then you'll have to spend more money to get that small difference.

I guess, you could look at it another way as well. If these blacks are mediocre, then I'm someone, that can get a great looking tv, and save a great deal of money not buying a tv that cost 3 times the price. I can put that money into something more important. So, Ya for me!

Last edited by iceblast; 09-05-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've heard many people say that Samsung color can be a bit much, never said that was wrong, just not exactly realistic. The likely hood if I walked outside, and saw the same scene displayed on a Samsung, that my eyes wouldn't see the colors the same.

Now, I'm not saying Samsung's don't have good picture, just that the color can be a bit much. I've own many Samsung's, and was never really happy with the color. There was always something off about it. Better there really wasn't anything better to get.

I would invite anyone over to my house and sit down and look at the blacks on my E600i-b3, then tell me that's mediocre. If these blacks are mediocre, then I'll take it happily. I've also read many reviews of people that love the blacks.

I doubt that there are that many people that watch as much video, and as much different kinds of video on their Vizio as I do. So, I have tons of first hand knowledge on how the E600i-b3 views many different videos, and how the quality of black changes from video source to video source.

If you are getting mediocre blacks, then it's the source, it's the instructions that the tv is receiving, telling it to display that level of black, not the tv's inability to display good blacks. Will it be plasma blacks, probably not, but I use my E600i-b3 as a computer monitor, and that's not good for plasma. If you are use to high end tv's, then you might be expecting to much. I think most people would find the Vizio's blacks to be quite good, and better then their last tv, as long as that tv wasn't a plasma, or a expensive high end. For the money Vizio does a very good job, if you want better then you'll have to spend more money to get that small difference.

I guess, you could look at it another way as well. If these blacks are mediocre, then I'm someone, that can get a great looking tv, and save a great deal of money not buying a tv that cost 3 times the price. I can put that money into something more important. So, Ya for me!
This isn't something that's subjective, color performance is measurable and lately Samsung has been exceptional in this regard, Vizio not as much. Does this want me to rush out and buy an overpriced Samsung LCD? Heck NO. Even their flagship televisions have uniformity and light bleed issues and the ones closer to the M series price range lack its contrast.

p.s., I don't want to leave the impression that it was color performance that prompted me to return my M series as I had other issues with it, just pointing out your personal observations don't align up with most professional reviews.

Samsung PN60E7000
LG 55EG9100
Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

What will set the P series apart from the M?

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Sponsored Links
Advertisement