AVS Forum banner

Official 2014 Vizio Mxxx-Bx Series owners thread

433K views 4K replies 547 participants last post by  llebcire 
#1 ·
AVS member Thmanx has just received the M322i, making him the first to own a 2014 M model

I've messaged him and hopefully he posts his findings in here. The larger sizes will be available at Vizio.com soon, and as soon as the 49" is available, I'll be nabbing it.

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts  /t/1531072/official-2014-vizio-mxxx-bx-series-owners-thread#post_24701848

AVS member Thmanx has just received the M322i, making him the first to own a 2014 M model

I've messaged him and hopefully he posts his findings in here. The larger sizes will be available at Vizio.com soon, and as soon as the 49" is available, I'll be nabbing it.

Need pics for "Official" thread.
Otherwise, I am going to post as the Official owner of the 77" LG OLED

#3 ·
From the previous thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmanx  /t/1510136/2014-vizio-thread-all-models/2730#post_24701695

Brown delivered!

https://imageshack.com/i/nh05wbj https://imageshack.com/i/nfub2lij https://imageshack.com/i/ne8fi3j https://imageshack.com/i/na9kzbj

Everything you get inside.
https://imageshack.com/i/nhox5dj

A variety of opening 'glare' shots. Take your guesses but I'm going to say the 2014's are Semi-Gloss. Its next to an Apple Thunderbolt display for reference.
https://imageshack.com/i/ndo646dj
https://imageshack.com/i/n8ab3ij
https://imageshack.com/i/nanf0aj https://imageshack.com/i/nf3ng0jj

https://imageshack.com/i/n8lirij

And the last to show thickness. Im sure its little thicker then the 2013 32''M but you really wouldn't notice it.
https://imageshack.com/i/napxbhj

Anywho, back to setting this thing up...

Have to head out for a few hours, be back in a bit. Did some initial run through the settings and gameplay of BF4 on an X1. Color looks good, nothing too blown out (except Vivid), and there is at least a 50% backlight brightness reduction when using 'Blur Reduction"

More impressions and pics in a few hours.

#4 ·
Looking forward to your findings! Do you have any movies that would exhibit otherwise blooming on other sets? I, along with many others, are interested to know if this active pixel tuning tames any nasty blooming. I may sound like a broken record, but that is the ONLY negative I encountered with past vizio FALD sets, and why they were returned. Once you see it, you never stop looking for it, and well you know how that goes....

#6 ·
I know exactly what your talking about. The 2013 32'' M I had did some weird things with its active dimming I remember. Some times causing drastic brightness chances and flash lighting.

So far in I have not seen any sign of that with this model. It was especially noticeable during menus on the X1 mainly because of the black backgrounds with thin white text.

The blur reduction WIlL cause flicker though

About as bad as a 60hz CRT. Maybe a little faster like 70/75hz but you can see it. If

You were susceptible to rainbow color wheel artifacts, this might be bothersome. (Granted this smaller size may not be a true 120hz panel which may contribute to that.) after a while of )60hz gaming you can get used to it, I will see if the blur busters site can help quantify any improvement in clarity.

I'm about to load up Avatar & T2:Skynet Edition.

Both for full frame IMAX scenes and for good letter boxing and contrast testing in T2.

Loading Avatar now w/ camera and notepad on hand.

#9 ·
Avatar looked great. I can say now for sure that even the 'standard' setting is still slightly too sharp/blue/saturated for purists. But over all quite nice and much better then the standard settings if sets only a few years prior.

Calibrated it really well set up, I've only made a few changes to that profile so far (experimenting with blur/black detail/contrast.

While this tv can't get perfect pinpoints of starlight with out some grey behind. (Complex scenes) it's still really good. Tweaking with the

Black detail you can 'cheat it' and get blacks around stars but you crush some details too. For letter boxing it looks spot on. I can't see the separation from the video to the black bars to the edge.

#10 ·
Photo update:

And the results are good.

From the words of my friend who was over with me at the time "Its so true to life it feels like the lasers are hitting my eyes bro" *(More on that phenomenon in part 3)

Here are some side by side comparisons of the factory presets. Camera was locked in manual mode to prevent auto WB correction and adjustments to brightness. Over/Under exposed photos show relative brightness based on base reading from Standard settings. (Vivid was about +1 EV, Calibrated/Dark roughly -1 EV)

Standard (slightly blue, shows edge enhancement halos from Sharpening at +60)

Calibrated (darker image bringing warmer color tone and more accurate flesh tones)

Calibrated Dark (more of the same, with darker back light. Blur reduction appears on as flicker is more pronounced)

Vivid (Very Blue, you can see the over done high-light clipping as well)

Computer: (Reduces sharpness, uses cooler color tones)

Game Mode: (cuts to 1/2 brightness due to back light dimming scheme (3 segment horizontal, causes slight flicker which may be bothersome to people, but can you can grow accustomed to it. Will do blur-buster test in part 3 to see the benefits to this scheme)

Standard vs Vivid vs Calibrated

These 3 should speak for themselves. Vivid way overblown, where as calibrated's darker picture recovers more details in highlights.

Can a 5 segmented backlight really give amazing blacks? With very dynamic content with mixed brightnesses there simply is no way to dim a corner of a screen perfectly.

As such with content like this, normally a star field would be slightly grea'd out. However using the "Black Detail" settings you can 'cheat' the blacks if you really wanted them. Obviously you clip shadow details in the process but the results were striking as blacks melted into the bezel. Perhaps with a more through calibration setting those pixel level improvements may be achieved w/o compromising overall shadow details.

T2:Skynet Edition

Good to say however in real world practice, you will likely not notice these slightly greyed out areas. Even in high contrast content, blacks are controlled quite well.

The horizontal bar orientation helps with 2.35:1 content, black/bezel border is mostly un-noticed.

With some minor tweaking to contrast and brightness settings, I was able to achieve a picture quality much greater then my previous 2013 32''M Razor ever could. I've noticed much more true to life flesh tones w/o the overly red shifted blacks I became unfortunately used to with my 2013M.

I will continue with more with Part3 where I'll go into how the back light blur reduction works in practice showing the blink scheme w/ video + blur buster examples. Also night time viewing and extreme dark/black testing + 4x3 content as well

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonmandts  /t/1531072/official-2014-vizio-mxxx-bx-series-owners-thread#post_24701848

i'd consider getting the 49" if the panel is fine unlike the 48" E series.

Do you know when it will become available? If soon, i now have absolutely no desire to even consider the E, unless the 49" M is planned for a summer release. :p

#12 ·
These M's are looking really good, especially since the 32'' one is the most 'stripped down' one. The 40+ sizes will get the benefits of more dimming sections and smooth motion, and all of the large sizes get the full feature set. I'm sure the 50''M and the 50''P sets will be interesting to compare.

Going to try running the set now in complete black room and test flash lighting/bloom.

#13 ·
Am i to assume the 32 M is basically the same as a 40 E? 5 zone etc. I own the 400E B2, and while i enjoy it, it's not quite what i hoped. And in 2014 why on earth as consumers can we not be informed as to what type of bloody panel mfg's are putting in our tv's/monitors? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

But hey! It has Netflix and Amazon Prime! It has super(fake)refresh rates and dynamic contrast modes! Just once i'd like to be treated as if i were a human with a brain from these ahole TV mfg's.

#15 ·
Screen uniformity is quite nice. If anything

I noticed a slight darkening in the corners but I think that has something to do with a light diffuser that's in the panel. (I noticed while doing a 1080p scaling chart, it looked like the sides of test image were almost 3D. I'll try to take a video to capture this effect.

In a pure black room you will see a dim grey letterbox. But that's only in a pitch black room

#16 ·
The blur reduction feature does work quite well however. Been using the UFO test for example.

Without using blur reduction, 120pps is as fast as the UFO can move before the the black dots in the middle of the aliens eyes before fuzzy due to pixel blur.

Using blur reduction on that you can get significant improvement of motion sharpness with clear dots in the middles of the eyes up to 480ppm and, by 720ppm the over all clarity of the outline shape is roughly the same as it is was 120ppm with out the reduction feature on.

Switching back and forth and comparing the ghost trails of the UFO, Ive noticed that effectively the feature reduces the after images of the UFO from many (tens?) of frames into only a before and an after ghost w/ roughly 15% opacity. The higher the ppm speed the father apart these two ghost appear to be until the 720ppm mark where overall motion clarity begins to suffer.

That said when using, Blur Reduction at the slow speed of 120ppm it will make this 32'' LCD will fool anyone into thinking its a plasma. There was zero ghosting at that speed, frankly I haven't seen moving square pixels look that sharp since... well ever frankly. Hopefully the bigger sets with their more powerful backlights (or indeed the P series) can help improve the motion clarity even more and get us our full HD motion clarity.

So for PC/Game buffs that want the clarity bump, its worth the flicker effect for sure (especially when dealing with 60p CG content thats sharp to work with)

-- a comment on color calibration--

When running the display though the HDMI out port on my retina Mac Book Pro, I noticed that every color was over saturated (especially the blues) even in my previously customized and calibrated settings. Thankfully the pro calibration features are very robust and provide a lot of easy to see and understand tweaks (more so the the 2013 series) and i was able to bring all my gradations back into clarity. However the vibrancy of the colors is not as wide as the IPS display is on my rMBP is, especially in the yellows, by comparison the yellow color chart I was using had a slight tint of pastel in it vs the clear mustard yellow I could achieve on the rMBP.

#17 ·
Some macro shots for pixel substructure and Panel ID

When sharpness is set of 50 it looks like halos and any sort of 'enhancements' are disabled. Nothing but nice sharp green corners.

(pure green box's over black background)

However go past that (even to 60) and halos come up. 100 is just plane ugly.

(White charters in 15% grey box with black background Should be solid grey to a corner pixel then black)

#2,675 ·
Some macro shots for pixel substructure and Panel ID

When sharpness is set of 50 it looks like halos and any sort of 'enhancements' are disabled. Nothing but nice sharp green corners.

(pure green box's over black background)

However go past that (even to 60) and halos come up. 100 is just plane ugly.

(White charters in 15% grey box with black background Should be solid grey to a corner pixel then black)
Doesn't that pixel shape indicate an IPS panel? I thought only the 49" and 55" had IPS panels.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmanx  /t/1531072/official-2014-vizio-mxxx-bx-series-owners-thread#post_24703503

The blur reduction feature does work quite well however. ...

That said when using, Blur Reduction at the slow speed of 120ppm it will make this 32'' LCD will fool anyone into thinking its a plasma. There was zero ghosting at that speed, frankly I haven't seen moving square pixels look that sharp since... well ever frankly. Hopefully the bigger sets with their more powerful backlights (or indeed the P series) can help improve the motion clarity even more and get us our full HD motion clarity.

So for PC/Game buffs that want the clarity bump, its worth the flicker effect for sure (especially when dealing with 60p CG content thats sharp to work with)

That's very encouraging to hear. I'm planning on the 70" M being my first LCD ever (coming from Samsung and LG plasmas).

How's the judder/jumping on things like panning shots? Maybe I'm just behind the times and that's not an issue anymore, but the last time I spent any time watching an LCD that was one of my biggest beefs -- the "jumps" as the TV's blur compensation technology reset itself to the real source, or something like that.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy  /t/1531072/official-2014-vizio-mxxx-bx-series-owners-thread#post_24703297

i'd consider getting the 49" if the panel is fine unlike the 48" E series.

Do you know when it will become available? If soon, i now have absolutely no desire to even consider the E, unless the 49" M is planned for a summer release. :p

The 32 and 42 have been on vizios site for almost 2 weeks now, so I'd say the 49" should roll out here soon, maybe 2 weeks? Maybe 3? That's the end of May, better than July/August anyways right? Hope my assumptions are correct!

#23 ·
I tried watching scenes from avatar, T2, The Fast and The Furious, & Tron. I was able to notice some panning judder in most live action stuff (Tron was an exception and looked beautifully smooth throughout, but thats Tron.)

I tried back and forth on movie mode, blur reduction on/off etc. And while the film mode helped a little, its definitely not doing a 1:1 24p movie mode. That must be reserved for either the larger sizes (though its not quite advertised) or only for the P...

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmanx  /t/1531072/official-2014-vizio-mxxx-bx-series-owners-thread#post_24704547

I tried watching scenes from avatar, T2, The Fast and The Furious, & Tron. I was able to notice some panning judder in most live action stuff (Tron was an exception and looked beautifully smooth throughout, but thats Tron.)

I tried back and forth on movie mode, blur reduction on/off etc. And while the film mode helped a little, its definitely not doing a 1:1 24p movie mode. That must be reserved for either the larger sizes (though its not quite advertised) or only for the P...

That may be because the specs show the 32" M series has a native 60Hz panel. Posted specs for the 42" M series indicate it will have a 120Hz panel, so hopefully it will be able to display 24p with 3:2 pulldown.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuladog  /t/1531072/official-2014-vizio-mxxx-bx-series-owners-thread#post_24704678

That may be because the specs show the 32" M series has a native 60Hz panel. Posted specs for the 42" M series indicate it will have a 120Hz panel, so hopefully it will be able to display 24p with 3:2 5:5 pulldown.

Thats my feeling too. For 60hz gaming its beautiful no doubt, and it does bluray much better then most other 32's out there, but w/o that 120hz refresh it just can't get the judder right. Its just strange that only the P series actually advertises a 24p mode. I hope Vizio doesn't lock that feature out for you guys simply for pricing reasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.