Intermittent video connectivity issue Samsung UN55HU8550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings all.

Long time listener, first time caller...

I purchased a UN55HU8550 a few weeks ago and for the most part, have been very happy with it (upgrading from an old 720p Samsung plasma...so there's alot to be happy about).

I'm not that sophisticated when it comes to connectivity, calibration and all the other bells and whistles that most of the folks here who's posts I read with great interest, so please bear with me on this issue. In fact...I'm not sure it's even an issue with the TV itself, but could be the AVR it's connected to, the Xbox One, or the cables in between. So if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize.

First...the problem itself. I keep getting the following happening on an intermittent basis :

The screen blanks for a half second and the message at the top of the screen and the meter on the bottom right pop up at infrequent intervals.

In any case, this is the connectivity:
Motorola DCX 3400M cable box connected to Xbox One with 3' HDMI (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BZG8FK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
Xbox One connected to Denon X2000 CBL/SAT hdmi port with the same brand 3' HDMI cable.
Denon connected to UN55HU8550 HDMI port 1 with 6" HDMI Cable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DG54ARU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

There's also an Xbox 360 connected to the Game port of the Denon with the same brand of HDMI cable, the Samsung is connected with a optical cable from the optical out port to the TV Audio in port on the Denon, and a direct connection from my PC's Nvidia 780 into the Media Player HDMI port.

This problem can happen at any time when watching a program, when switching channels, or when playing a game with the main connection path through the Xbox One, or with other inputs but with no consistency. After poking around here and the internet, and trying several suggestions for other problems that sounded similar, I'm still seeing this issue.

The Samsung settings are as follows:
Picture -
Movie,
Advanced Settings -
Dynamic Contrast Low
Black tone Off,
RGB Only Mode Off
Color Space Auto
White Balance 10 point 10% level
Gamma -2, Motion Lighting off
Picture Options -
Color Tone Warm1
Digital Clean View Off (this seems to cut down on the frequency of the issue)
MPERG Noise Filter Auto
HDMI Black Level Low
HDMI UHD Color on for HDMI 1 and 2
Auto Motion Plus set to Custom with LED Clear Motion On
Smart LED Standard

Denon settings are as follows:
Picture adjust -
Picture mode Custom
Contrast/brightness/saturation/hue all 0
Noise Reduction Low
Enhancer 0
HDMI Setup-
Auto Lip Sync On
HDMI Audio Out AVR
HDMI Pass Through On
HDMI Control Off
-Pass Through Source CBL/SAT
Output Settings -
Video Mode Auto
Video Conversion On
i/p Scaler HDMI
- Resolution (HDMI) Auto
- Progressive Mode Auto
- Access Ratio 16:9

XBox One settings are as follows:
TV Resolution 1080p
TV Connection HDMI (can be set for auto detect and DVI)
Color Depth 24 bits per pixel (can be set at 30 or 36 as well)
Color Space TV (RGB Limited) - can be set for PC (RGB Full)
Enable 50hz is checked
HDMI Audio is set for 7.1 uncompressed
Optical Audio is Stereo uncompressed

The cable box is set as follows:
TV Type 16:9
HDMI/YPdPr Output 1080i
4:3 override 480
Additional HDMI Settings are default with 1080p passthrough on

If there's any other settings or information anyone needs to help out, let me know and I can get shots of them or provide them.

I'd really appreciate any help one of the more knowledgeable individuals here can give me. I haven't seen any forum posts here or elsewhere that match the problem I'm having, so I'm kind of at a loss for researching this on my own.

Thanks in advance,
Bret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
The basic symptom indicates an HDMI connection problem. You've got the cable box signal going through a lot of devices.

Cable box -->Xbox-->Denon AV receiver-->TV

You say you've tried things. What?

Why is the cable box going through the Xbox? What happens if you route the cable box to the Denon and put the Xbox on a different HDMI input on the Denon
post #3 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post

The basic symptom indicates an HDMI connection problem. You've got the cable box signal going through a lot of devices.

Cable box -->Xbox-->Denon AV receiver-->TV

You say you've tried things. What?

Why is the cable box going through the Xbox? What happens if you route the cable box to the Denon and put the Xbox on a different HDMI input on the Denon

Cable to xbox one because that's how xbox one is designed. I haven't tried routing it separately, but will do so as a troubleshooting step. However...never had a problem with connectivity with the Samsung plasma that was connected that way prior to getting the LED, and I get the same issue with the xbox 360, which is hooked up seperately.

I've replaced the cable box, xbox one and all the cables so far.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

TWhat happens if you route the cable box to the Denon and put the Xbox on a different HDMI input on the Denon

I removed the xbox one from the path and put it on the blu ray hdmi input on the Denon.

Cable box now goes to the CBL/SAT input. When I first switched it, the popup issue was every few seconds. I powered off and on the TV and it stopped. Keeping the TV on for a while to see if the problem recurs. Sometimes it goes a couple of hours without issue, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

*Update - No popups until I changed to a different input and then came back to the cbl/sat input. Same intermittent issue after that...and happens just about every channel change as well. Tried swapping out with another brand new 3' cable as well, but no change. Very frustrating.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, cable box is outputting 1080i to Denon. Denon is upconverting to 1080p. I'll be it's the Denon switching and losing the connection. I have a long delay with black screen with my Onkyo if I have it set this way too. If instead I set the cable box to output 1080p, even though it probably has an upscaler that is not as good as the Onkyo, the channel switches are instant and seamless. Not ideal, but I really can't see that the cable box scaler is worse, so I left it this way.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK, cable box is outputting 1080i to Denon. Denon is upconverting to 1080p. I'll be it's the Denon switching and losing the connection. I have a long delay with black screen with my Onkyo if I have it set this way too. If instead I set the cable box to output 1080p, even though it probably has an upscaler that is not as good as the Onkyo, the channel switches are instant and seamless. Not ideal, but I really can't see that the cable box scaler is worse, so I left it this way.

1080i is all this box has. DCX4300. I'm trying to get ahold of a DCX3501, which has full 1080p, but I haven't had much luck so far.

Is there any kind of delay setting I can set?

thanks.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

If it is the Denon switching, then about all you can do is not route through the Denon, but go straight to another HDMI port on the TV. Then use the TV's optical out to route sound back to the Denon so sound will go to your home theater speakers. I've done that with my Onkyo to avoid the switching problems.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can someone who owns this TV explain the "HDMI UHD Color" notification in the picture? I own the TV and have not seen this before? Am I missing out using a converter mode? Is it just the source material?

Thanks much!

post #9 of 10 Old 09-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2rome View Post
<p>Can someone who owns this TV explain the "HDMI UHD Color" notification in the picture? I own the TV and have not seen this before? Am I missing out using a converter mode? Is it just the source material?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks much!</p>
I have a one day old UN55HU8550 that has an error message that there is a problem with the cooling fan and I should call Samsung service. After talking with samsung the software reset which removes the latest software update the tv downloaded version #2143 appears to solve it. However with auto update the problem returns. What a hassle to resolve. I feel better this is a software glitch not an actual fan problem is my best feedback at this point.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-11-2014, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
the TV is saying it's seeing 3840x2160, which means something (the Denon) is doing upscaling. Looks like you also have that HDMI UHD Color setting on, which is probably not helping either since that signal method doesn't really exist yet.

Try Setup -> HDMI Setup -> Video Conversion set to off.

On the TV, turn the HDMI UHD Color off.

If you're still having flickering, make sure you are using newer HDMI cables that support High Speed / 3D / Ethernet. Cut a few links out of the chain (ie cable box direct to HDMI, then add denon, then add xbox, and see if you can pinpoint what causes the trouble).
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - UN55HU8550 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page