Panasonic Beats Plasma Picture Quality with TC-AX800U Series - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1425 Old 06-15-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
Moving parts? All the local dimming stuff are is lights, light guides, and software. Not sure what you mean, as it's not a clock. Lol. Both plasmas and LCDs are "fragile" as is most consumer electronic items. If there's some study out there showing more failures among one tech than the other I haven't seen it.
Thanks lol.I mean all the parts behind the display, I haven't said which one is more fragile,both are fragile.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.

Last edited by losservatore; 06-15-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1425 Old 06-15-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
Quote:
My reference to 'a more serious note' was obviously a bit too subtle...
Try sophomoric pun next time. Think juvenile humor and you'll succeed with him.

Guys, ever since the 'upgrade' to the new system, my email inbox is getting flooded with messages whenever a post of mine gets quoted.

In the old system there was a way to turn off all subscriptions and shut these email notifications off but I can't find how to do it in the new system - can anyone help with some pointers?
Uncheck 'get email from forum managers' (not sure of the exact wording). I was getting the same thing.

Thanks - this is exactly what I am looking for - where do you find it???

Before posting this reply, I am now going down to Thread Subscription and selecting 'No email notification' as the 'Notification Type' but that doesn't seem to be changing anything :-(

Is there anything I need to do in 'My Settings' to cut this off the way you could in the old system? I've looked under 'My Setting' but cannot find anything...

Would really appreciate some more guidance from Ken or whoever as to where I can find this 'get email from forum managers' box to uncheck. My email continues to get flooded...
post #1143 of 1425 Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
Quote:
My reference to 'a more serious note' was obviously a bit too subtle...
Try sophomoric pun next time. Think juvenile humor and you'll succeed with him.

Guys, ever since the 'upgrade' to the new system, my email inbox is getting flooded with messages whenever a post of mine gets quoted.

In the old system there was a way to turn off all subscriptions and shut these email notifications off but I can't find how to do it in the new system - can anyone help with some pointers?
Uncheck 'get email from forum managers' (not sure of the exact wording). I was getting the same thing.

Thanks - this is exactly what I am looking for - where do you find it???

Before posting this reply, I am now going down to Thread Subscription and selecting 'No email notification' as the 'Notification Type' but that doesn't seem to be changing anything :-(

Is there anything I need to do in 'My Settings' to cut this off the way you could in the old system? I've looked under 'My Setting' but cannot find anything...

Would really appreciate some more guidance from Ken or whoever as to where I can find this 'get email from forum managers' box to uncheck. My email continues to get flooded...
Go to User CP then to User Tagging and then Settings. It isn't the same thing yet it lists the option to disable emails for that stuff

ROB

Last edited by rlindo; 06-15-2014 at 07:48 PM.
post #1144 of 1425 Old 06-15-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Quote:

Go to User CP then to User Tagging and then Settings. It isn't the same thing yet it lists the option to disable emails for that stuff

Thanks rlindo - checked all of the boxes and hopefully that stems the email flood

They really should make all of those options default to 'don't email me'

Thanks again for the help.
post #1145 of 1425 Old 06-15-2014, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Vinnie97 if both LCD and OLED use sample-and-hold display technology,what makes the OLED have a more natural motion?

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
post #1146 of 1425 Old 06-15-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
It's getting a bit OT but please visit the site I linked above. The only answer I can give is faster response times and not everyone being sensitive to motion in the exact same way (plus the fact that there are different types of motion blur). It's hard to account for subjective taste, but if you read the results of the recent UK shootout, you'll see remarks about how the infinite CR might have also played a role psychovisually.
post #1147 of 1425 Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok thanks ...

post #1148 of 1425 Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
For anyone who's interested, I'll be over at my new article in the plasma section, talking about Why I Bought a Plasma HDTV in 2014

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #1149 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
For anyone who's interested, I'll be over at my new article in the plasma section, talking about Why I Bought a Plasma HDTV in 2014
That thread will not get as heated as this one. You know why? Because no one is going to argue that you made a bad choice going with the plasma, especially watching it in a non sun lit room.
post #1150 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Quote:
That thread will not get as heated as this one. You know why? Because no one is going to argue that you made a bad choice going with the plasma, especially watching it in a non sun lit room.
If you add cost to the equation, plasma remains a no-brainer for cinephiles. The filterless F53000 is not even that bad in a bright room, the blacks wash out but it's plenty bright. Mostly, having a LCD side-by-side with a plasma reminds me that there are two sides to the argument, and it's all to easy to lose sight of that.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #1151 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post
I really really hope OLED survives as it has the qualities I like about Plasma. With a bit of engineering I hope they can iron out kinks.
I do not think there will be any worries, even if LG has to do it all by themselves, I think OLED will survive .
post #1152 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Quote:
That's ONE reason why it won't get as heated......
post #1153 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post
I really really hope OLED survives as it has the qualities I like about Plasma. With a bit of engineering I hope they can iron out kinks.
I do not think there will be any worries, even if LG has to do it all by themselves, I think OLED will survive .
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panas...1406153818.htm

That is promising if it is true and happens.

I'm on board for OLED as long is it won't have as horrible IR as my Panny VT25 plasma does and won't be at serious risk for burn-in. Basically I want an OLED set that has the properties that the Kuro 4280 in my house has which in all these years has never had any noticeable IR and no burn-in.

ROB

Last edited by rlindo; 06-16-2014 at 10:15 AM.
post #1154 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 AM

Panasonic never seemed to master IR resistance as well as Samsung and Pioneer in my humble opinion. Even then, the Kuro I had did suffer from uneven letterbox wear after 2000 to 3000 hours. OLED is already pretty good at logo/HUD resistance...it's the rapid letterbox wear they need to resolve (probably related to the backplane tech they're using), easily cleared up with a few hours of the pixel jogger but not something the modern average TV enthusiast will tolerate.
post #1155 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

My display is strictly for computer use and gaming with some widescreen shows thrown in. Do you think OLED in its current form (as in LG) would be fine for that?

The only negative I could see with getting an OLED set in terms of picture quality is it'd probably look so amazing I'd want to watch movies on its tiny screen rather than on my projector which itself is pretty nice.

ROB
post #1156 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Particularly for gaming, there have been no ill reports of burn-in by the first adopters (I haven't used it for such so I can't personally attest to this). If it's resilient against gaming HUDs, it should do similarly well with desktop use, I'd imagine. No one has reported their success with using it as a monitor as of yet. If using as a monitor, though, it should be noted the pixel structure is such (and it's theorized that it's due to LG's particular brand of passive 3D) that the screen door effect is more obvious from near distances.

My 65" has already been neglected by the 55" in the movie realm, but that has to be less likely with a projector.
rlindo likes this.
post #1157 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks vinnie.

I sit a decent distance from the TV (8 feet or so now from a 46" set) so it'd be fine I am sure for SDE.

One good thing is I re-calibrated my Samsung D630 last week and either I adjusted something in error since I last calibrated it 1-1.5 years ago or some voodoo magic has occurred as the image now is much better than it was before. I think I maybe changed the gamma setting by accident since then so I was running with too low a gamma and this new calibration corrected that. Since it looks really good right now I have less an urge to upgrade so I can wait it out and see what the hell this IMO pathetic industry is going to throw at us later this year and early 2015.

All I want is a freaking 55-60" TV with minimal annoying issues (banding, uniformity, IR...) and decent picture quality that is a clear upgrade to what I have now with the Sammy. You'd think this shouldn't be hard yet boom, it apparently is. Maybe OLED will be the way to go if the IR really isn't a big issue like it is on my VT25. I would prefer a flat guy yet I have my bedroom window behind where my TV is so I can't wall mount it like I believe that new flat LG model requires.
vinnie97 likes this.

ROB
post #1158 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Panasonic never seemed to master IR resistance as well as Samsung and Pioneer in my humble opinion. Even then, the Kuro I had did suffer from uneven letterbox wear after 2000 to 3000 hours. OLED is already pretty good at logo/HUD resistance...it's the rapid letterbox wear they need to resolve (probably related to the backplane tech they're using), easily cleared up with a few hours of the pixel jogger but not something the modern average TV enthusiast will tolerate.
So are you saying that with each letterbox movie you watch, you need to go through a few hours of the pixel jogger?
post #1159 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 03:52 PM

I am. Given its resilience against HUDs and logos, I don't think it has anything to do with OLED tech in particular.
post #1160 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, but given I've never had to do that even with plasma, one has to either think it has something to do with OLED's susceptibility to this or this particular OLED is very prone to it (if it's not generic to OLED...which I'm not yet convinced).

Personally, I'd never get my wife to agree to a few hours of wipe with each movie we watch. I'd be treading on very dangerous grounds.

Hopefully this will be less of an issue with the 77". We'll have to see.
post #1161 of 1425 Old 06-16-2014, 06:11 PM

I assuredly hope so.
post #1162 of 1425 Old 06-17-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Yes, but given I've never had to do that even with plasma, one has to either think it has something to do with OLED's susceptibility to this or this particular OLED is very prone to it (if it's not generic to OLED...which I'm not yet convinced).

Personally, I'd never get my wife to agree to a few hours of wipe with each movie we watch. I'd be treading on very dangerous grounds.

Hopefully this will be less of an issue with the 77". We'll have to see.
I know with Samsung phones they use OLED screens and plenty of times I have gone into a store and see burn in (or extremely terrible IR not knowing if it would ever disappear) on the display models. I know Samsung and LG were using different tech then each other but wonder if they would still act the same as far as IR and burn in are concerned.

Also, Samsung phones would not completely shut off the pixels on a black screen, they would slightly have power to them so them can come out of black without delay. Do the OLED TV's work like this or do they have full off power?
post #1163 of 1425 Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I found an OLED Tech site the other day and they were discussing how LG had many Japan/Korea/Taiwan manufacturers signed/signing up as a source as well as numerous Chinese manufacturers we never hear of here - apparently the market is huge there also for OLED.

It seems LG may have a lock on OLED until Samsung manages to perhaps pirate and improve their own - this wouldn't be the first time they've done this and later paid a price in court.

They presently are in a patent fight in Korea but it seems LG is all in and willing to take the risk for the rewards of holding a monopoly for the near future but virtually every player has been negotiating subcontracting panels from LG. Never owned an LG TV but we have a new washer/dryer that work flawlessly and are beautiful looking for appliances. I still go back to the days when monitors were amber and ID'd as Lucky Goldstar - they've come a long way. Truy interested in how they price the larger models above 55".

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #1164 of 1425 Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
I think it's pretty obvious why that thread won't cause any heated debates. All he's talking about is why he bought a plasma. He didn't claim as fact that plasma beats LCD's PQ.

home theater addict
post #1165 of 1425 Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I think it's pretty obvious why that thread won't cause any heated debates. All he's talking about is why he bought a plasma. He didn't claim as fact that plasma beats LCD's PQ.
And he never did that here (an opinion is not fact and that's all he expressed despite however anyone may have taken the thread title or comments) yet I won't go down that road again...
Ph8te and imagic like this.

ROB
post #1166 of 1425 Old 06-18-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
And he never did that here (an opinion is not fact and that's all he expressed despite however anyone may have taken the thread title or comments) yet I won't go down that road again...
I really don't want to do this again. Read the thread title and read through the thread. His post don't come of as an opinion.

home theater addict
post #1167 of 1425 Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
I really don't want to do this again. Read the thread title and read through the thread. His post don't come of as an opinion.

Actually it did Eric, myself and many others saw it as an opinion piece. It was others who trumpeted that this could never be and seemed to take personal offense that he would even say this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1168 of 1425 Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I really don't want to do this again. Read the thread title and read through the thread. His post didn't come of as an opinion.
A person shouldn't have to say "IMO..." or "I feel..." in a thread title or their post for humans to clue in it is their opinion.

It's no different than any review of anything you read. Do guys at sites like cnet say "in my opinion..." when talking about what they see in a subjective way? No. They state what they see which is their OPINION and I'd guess they expect the average reader to clue in that it is their opinion and not fact.

Anyone who takes someone's opinion as fact is the one who has the problem not the person stating their opinion.

Now let's move on as going on about this will be pointless...in my opinion that is.

ROB
post #1169 of 1425 Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 566
This argument is so last month...

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #1170 of 1425 Old 06-18-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I know with Samsung phones they use OLED screens and plenty of times I have gone into a store and see burn in (or extremely terrible IR not knowing if it would ever disappear) on the display models. I know Samsung and LG were using different tech then each other but wonder if they would still act the same as far as IR and burn in are concerned.
Yes, that's precisely what scares me with OLED. I too was shocked to see how many Samsung phones had what certainly appeared to be either horrific IR or plain old burn-in. Either way it was very disconcerting.

Now, OTOH, I've had several Samsung phones with OLED screens and never experienced what I've seen in the stores. So much of it could be the demos that BB runs on these things. As for the difference between the susceptibility of Samsung OLEDs vs LG OLEDs to burn-in or IR, I have no idea. I would suspect there wouldn't be a huge difference, but who knows?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page