Panasonic Beats Plasma Picture Quality with TC-AX800U Series - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1369 Old 07-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I was fixing my comment when you guys were already commenting lol it didn't take long to add that the p series isn't available right now.

Last edited by losservatore; 07-06-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1369 Old 07-06-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Yes, but I'm having a somewhat hard time seeing how a $2600 display can be as good as the P series is purported to be. I would very much like to audition one though.
Sorry, that was exactly my point. Mark purchased an E series and was not very impressed by the picture. There is a lot of hyperbole about the P and that's a win for all of is if it ends up being true-- but I have serious doubts. I'll be happy to be proven wrong though!
Keenan likes this.
post #1353 of 1369 Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
It's purely anecdotal, but my two year old Vizio M3D550KD has had zero issues and I've used it for at least 10 hours per day during the time I've had it. Aside from it's (somewhat) poor performance with letterboxed content, it is actually a very good performer relative to many LCD HDTVs I've seen. That experience doesn't necessarily translate to the 2014 M series, and there might be significant differences between screen sizes within the 2014 M series, but I am confident that the added dimming zones have a significant impact on the total image quality of the 2014 M, relative to the E.

Based on my experience with the E and the M, and extrapolating that to what I saw at CES 2014, I'd say the P series still has a real chance of being a top performer.
Let's hope so as that would be a win for all of us regardless of our individual brand/tech/size preferences.
post #1354 of 1369 Old 07-07-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
went on line to see about placing an order and found that the price has been raised $500 (3499 to 3999) from what it was on Sunday. <groan>
post #1355 of 1369 Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotex View Post
I started reading this thread on Friday night and got all caught up last night. Our Vizio bit the dust last week and i'm having to do a crash course on getting up to date on current technology. Some very interesting thoughts on here. I'm pretty well convinced that this is the monitor for me (TC-65AX800U). However, my local dealer is really trying to steer me to the Sony 65X850B 4K Ultra HD TV. I can't seem to find any comparisons that i can make sense of on the forums. Would anybody like to direct me to a good thread or comment, please? Thanks!
When you say "monitor", to me it implies that you plan to use this with a computer as well. If so, I think it is the best as the Sony and other brands do not have display port, which is what you need for 4k at 60hz/60fps.

-Hawkmoon
post #1356 of 1369 Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
Why is it so unfathomable to consider that picture quality doesn't start and end with black level? It's not a conspiracy theory, really.

See what I did there? So westa6969 deems resolution the most important criteria for him. You don't. So what? No need for snark. Move on. Unless you are planning on buying his next TV for him...
Why should Mark be obligated to forgo his preference (one supported by a mountain of empirical evidence) or be given the third degree for amending a prior point of view simply because a forum member puts resolution at a higher priority than he does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Again, this is a remnant from a time when plasmas were still relatively new and aged considerably more during the first few hundred hours out of the box. I watched plenty of letterbox content my first few hundred hours with my VT60 and have no uniformity or uneven wear issues and that goes for my old S30 as well (a set notorious for IR). It just isn't an issue and hasn't been for years.
With all due respect, if all manufacturers were just as consistent in this regard, plasma might not be on its deathbed. All plasmas that I've owned long-term (1+ years) have suffered to some degree. That said, the picture's so good that I can't help but be overcome by Stockholm syndrome.
post #1357 of 1369 Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Vinnie! Is that you?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #1358 of 1369 Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie_RIP View Post
Why should Mark be obligated to forgo his preference (one supported by a mountain of empirical evidence) or be given the third degree for amending a prior point of view simply because a forum member puts resolution at a higher priority than he does?
He doesn't. I guessed you missed the context.
post #1359 of 1369 Old 07-11-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Mark, Did you ever get your demo unit in to do a full write up?
post #1360 of 1369 Old 07-11-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotex View Post
Mark, Did you ever get your demo unit in to do a full write up?
I'm typing this using a 64-inch AX800U as my monitor! Yes, I am going to write it up.
mikela and hydrotex like this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com

Last edited by imagic; 07-11-2014 at 11:02 AM.
post #1361 of 1369 Old 07-11-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Vinnie! Is that you?

nice name, isn't it :-) hard to imagine anyone else choosing that as their handle
Ph8te likes this.
post #1362 of 1369 Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I'm typing this using a 64-inch AX800U as my monitor! Yes, I am going to write it up.

Did you have the opportunity to talk to the engineers in regards to the banding issue that many us brought up with our sets? Also, looking forward to your write-up.

-Hawkmoon
post #1363 of 1369 Old 07-11-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
just as a reminder. the motion clearness check page:
http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

don't compared it to your plasma the lcd will totally lose this battle.
post #1364 of 1369 Old 07-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
nice name, isn't it :-) hard to imagine anyone else choosing that as their handle
Maybe his OLED died and he's in mourning. It is a rather morbid handle.
post #1365 of 1369 Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Did you have the opportunity to talk to the engineers in regards to the banding issue that many us brought up with our sets? Also, looking forward to your write-up.
I posed the question but I have not yet received an answer. It's worth noting that since I rubbed the screen on my review unit, I have not once been distracted by screen uniformity issues. I've been using the AX800U as my primary display—all day every day. I've clocked over 150 hours of viewing already.

post #1366 of 1369 Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
just as a reminder. the motion clearness check page:
http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

don't compared it to your plasma the lcd will totally lose this battle.
Don't worry, now I visit that site on a regular basis, and I've become familiar with all the tests. It's a great free resource.

post #1367 of 1369 Old 07-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Don't worry, now I visit that site on a regular basis, and I've become familiar with all the tests. It's a great free resource.
Any ETA on this writeup?
post #1368 of 1369 Old 07-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I posed the question but I have not yet received an answer. It's worth noting that since I rubbed the screen on my review unit, I have not once been distracted by screen uniformity issues. I've been using the AX800U as my primary display—all day every day. I've clocked over 150 hours of viewing already.

Mark, I did the same with my set and I hardly notice the banding now. Not sure why or how this worked, but it took a few tries. Even my wife saw the banding before and now she says the only way to see some of them now is if I am in a game and I pan the camera on a gray screen and move it back and forth, outside of that, when watching TV, Blu Ray or gaming, she does not see it at all. I only notice a faint 1/4" width line now, but it is not that distracting. This all really happened after we had boxed it up for an return, but the tech wanted me too hook it back up to test something else and when I did, that is when we started to see the reduction in the banding. I think the combination of rubbing and perhaps being powered off did something, I don't know what, but on my set the banding is not to the level of me wanting to return it now.

In the 4-5 days that it was boxed up and I went back to my 1080p with my computer, my gosh you could tell the difference between the two and how much cleaner 4k is to 1080p. I tried to tell myself it was not that big of a difference, but when I hooked it back up, both my wife and I said the same thing, that it was definitely a downgrade going from the 4k to the 1080p.

-Hawkmoon
post #1369 of 1369 Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I already posted a thread over in the flat panel forum but I thought I'd pop this here as well considering it sums up my feelings pretty succinctly on why I'm ambivalent to 4k tv if extra pixels is all you're offering me. This is a link to a document drafted by the European broadcasting union criticizing CE manufacturers for focusing only on pixel count and ignoring the other areas of picture quality (greater contrast, higher frame rates, expanded color spectrum etc).

Quote:
The issues
At the time of publication (July 2014) the issues confronting broadcasters are:
 Televisions advertised as “4K Ultra-HD” entered the market in 2013.
These displays provide four times (3840 x 2160 pixels) the resolution of HDTV. It is predicted2 that in excess of 12% of worldwide television sales will be ‘4K Ultra-HD’ TVs in 2015.
 The UHDTV standard, however, provides several other additional enhancements over HDTV parameters. These are higher frame rates, more contrast in images (dynamic range), better colours and immersive audio. The intent of a suitable combination of all these enhanced parameters is to provide an “immersive” and better experience for the viewer (“better pixels”).
 The EBU Technical Committee believes that the current focus of the CE industry to provide only an increased resolution (“4k”) and ignoring other enhancements is not a sufficiently large step for the introduction of successful new broadcasting services.
 New broadband services, such as YouTube, Netflix and Amazon’s, and disruptive technologies, such as Dolby Vision, are capable of delivering these extended options as Over-The-Top or enhanced services.
 In Japan, the Administration, together with NHK, has a roadmap to deliver a UHDTV service called “Super Hi-Vision” (“8k”) in time for the 2020 Olympics3. The impact of this on the rest of the world is unclear at present.

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/techreports/tr028.pdf
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page