Samsung HU8550 vs HU8500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hqduong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I know this has been asked before but I can't find it.

 

What are the differences between the HU8550 and HU8500 from Samsung??

 

I'm looking at the Costco one and it's a HU8500.

hqduong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post

I know this has been asked before but I can't find it.

What are the differences between the HU8550 and HU8500 from Samsung??

I'm looking at the Costco one and it's a HU8500.
The UNxxHU8550 is the flat panel version of the UNxxHU9000. These models are intended for the North America market (the N of the UN).

The UExxHU8500 is the European model number for the same curved panel model UNxxHU9000. The equivalent to the UNxxHU8550 in Europe is the UExxHU7500.

I doubt very much that Costco are actually selling an HU8500.
Mike3010 is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hqduong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hqduong is offline  
post #4 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Costco would not be the first discount retailer to not understand what they are selling. A quick search shows that Costco don't sell a model HU8550. Again, I doubt very much that Costco are ACTUALLY selling an HU8500. Suggest you go to Samsung web site and research the question yourself since you have so little faith in the information available here.
Mike3010 is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Member
 
tl2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3010 View Post

The UNxxHU8550 is the flat panel version of the UNxxHU9000. These models are intended for the North America market (the N of the UN).

The UExxHU8500 is the European model number for the same curved panel model UNxxHU9000. The equivalent to the UNxxHU8550 in Europe is the UExxHU7500.

I doubt very much that Costco are actually selling an HU8500.

I think got this wrong here, the hu8550 is not like the hu9000 just flat but not curve, this version is inferior to the hu9000 in many way, whether I don't know if this the samsung marketing strategy or not to make the hu9000 stronger and more features. If you follow the thread closely you should see that most people with hu8550 have motion problem, I'm not saying future firmware can not fix this but this seem easier to archive on the hu9000, like 4k up scaling and some others.
tl2k2 is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hqduong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl2k2 View Post

I think got this wrong here, the hu8550 is not like the hu9000 just flat but not curve, this version is inferior to the hu9000 in many way, whether I don't know if this the samsung marketing strategy or not to make the hu9000 stronger and more features. If you follow the thread closely you should see that most people with hu8550 have motion problem, I'm not saying future firmware can not fix this but this seem easier to archive on the hu9000, like 4k up scaling and some others.


Didn't say I didn't trust the information here.

I did go on Samsung's website and couldn't find a difference. Doesn't it show an 8500 on the website? That's where the confusion is coming from; your information conflicts with it being a European version, clearly it's in the US.
hqduong is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Member
 
tl2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post

Didn't say I didn't trust the information here.

I did go on Samsung's website and couldn't find a difference. Doesn't it show an 8500 on the website? That's where the confusion is coming from; your information conflicts with it being a European version, clearly it's in the US.

Nope, the European version is hu8500 only, not hu8550 but the two letter before the screen size is EU not UN instead. EUxxHU8500 same as UNxxHU9000, and the UNxxhu8550 is not in the same league with these two.
tl2k2 is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post

Didn't say I didn't trust the information here.

I did go on Samsung's website and couldn't find a difference. Doesn't it show an 8500 on the website? That's where the confusion is coming from; your information conflicts with it being a European version, clearly it's in the US.
The US Web site does not list any model number UNxxHU8500 available for sale.
Mike3010 is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Member
 
tl2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3010 View Post

The US Web site does not list any model number UNxxHU8500 available for sale.

Usually Costco models I never see them on official site, not saying it's never. But I never seen one yet..
tl2k2 is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl2k2 View Post

I think got this wrong here, the hu8550 is not like the hu9000 just flat but not curve, this version is inferior to the hu9000 in many way, whether I don't know if this the samsung marketing strategy or not to make the hu9000 stronger and more features. If you follow the thread closely you should see that most people with hu8550 have motion problem, I'm not saying future firmware can not fix this but this seem easier to archive on the hu9000, like 4k up scaling and some others.
True, there are other differences between the HU9000 and the HU8550... It was a bit simplistic to call one the flat version of the other, but that wasn't the OP question and would have led the OP into more complexity than they wanted.
Mike3010 is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl2k2 View Post

Usually Costco models I never see them on official site, not saying it's never. But I never seen one yet..
In that case, I suggest you compare the Costco Web site description of the HU8500 with the Samsung Web site description of the HU8550 and then report back to the forum so that we may all become more well-informed.
Mike3010 is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Member
 
tl2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just want to make one more thing clear for those who wonder, the US version does have UNxxHU8500 but this is the a special make for bulk retail sore, and this is not like the EUxxHU8500.
tl2k2 is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl2k2 View Post

I just want to make one more thing clear for those who wonder, the US version does have UNxxHU8500 but this is the a special make for bulk retail sore, and this is not like the EUxxHU8500.
That would be the UExxHU8500 (not EU). Can you post the link to the Samsung Web site that describes the features for this not-for-direct-sale model, UNxxHU8500?
Mike3010 is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Member
 
tl2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3010 View Post

In that case, I suggest you compare the Costco Web site description of the HU8500 with the Samsung Web site description of the HU8550 and then report back to the forum so that we may all become more well-informed.

I don't know what is your point here I'm just pointing out the model numbers confusion, while I do agree the hu8550 is 99.9% same as hu8500, what I'm saying the us 8500 is not same as Euro hu8500, and for the Eu or Ue okapi I might miss spelled it, I'm a happy owner of hu9000 and you here seem to troll the thread.
tl2k2 is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl2k2 View Post

I don't know what is your point here I'm just pointing out the model numbers confusion, while I do agree the hu8550 is 99.9% same as hu8500, what I'm saying the us 8500 is not same as Euro hu8500, and for the Eu or Ue okapi I might miss spelled it, I'm a happy owner of hu9000 and you here seem to troll the thread.
My only point is that I would like to read a full description of the details of a UNxxHU8500 which I have not heard of before. Apparently, this is a model number you have heard of. I would simply like to be as well informed as you. Can you point me at a Samsung Web site that details the features of a UNxxHU8500?
Mike3010 is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Member
 
tl2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If your in the market for either hu8500 or hu8550 you should be aware that recently Samsung drop 500 on their 2014 4k set, and last time I check I didn't see the costco drop 500.
tl2k2 is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Member
 
tl2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
[quote name="Mike3010" url="/t/1532257/samsung-hu8550-vs-hu8500#post_Can you point me at a Samsung Web site that details the features of a UNxxHU8500?[/quote]
Didn't you read some of my post back? I said I never seen a special model made for bulk retail store on official site, I just saw this 8500 at Costco, when I shopped there couple weeks go.
tl2k2 is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Didn't you read some of my post back? I said I never seen a special model made for bulk retail store on official site, I just saw this 8500 at Costco, when I shopped there couple weeks go.
And what is the difference between the Costco description of a UN65HU8500 and the Samsung description of a UN65HU8550?
Mike3010 is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Member
 
tl2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3010 View Post

Didn't you read some of my post back? I said I never seen a special model made for bulk retail store on official site, I just saw this 8500 at Costco, when I shopped there couple weeks go.
And what is the difference between the Costco description of a UN65HU8500 and the Samsung description of a UN65HU8550?[/quote]

Seem the same to me but, like I said samsung drop 500 of their 4k, if you planning to buy one make sure the costco also same as out there, last time I check before the price drop costco set is 20 dollars cheaper than other store.
tl2k2 is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 6,926
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3010 View Post

The US Web site does not list any model number UNxxHU8500 available for sale.
It's not unusual for Costco to carry variants of most manufacturers that are never listed at the website of origin. They often may have a few unique add-ons/options but the innard tech/manuals is identical but carry a slightly differing model# never seen at the manufacturer - this occurs nearly every year at Costco with most major models they carry Costco distribution channel is large enough to enable these types of contracts with manufacturers..smile.gif

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
post #21 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl2k2 View Post

Seem the same to me
In that case I would humbly submit that the Costco Web site is simply listing an incorrect model number, and if you were to look at the label on the back of the screen it would say HU8550 and not HU8500.
Mike3010 is offline  
post #22 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Member
 
tl2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3010 View Post

In that case I would humbly submit that the Costco Web site is simply listing an incorrect model number, and if you were to look at the label on the back of the screen it would say HU8550 and not HU8500.

You never get the marketing of business huh? In that case I'm no long interested to discuss in this thread, I'm keep repeating but you never get it or something. Good luck finding the one you like.
tl2k2 is offline  
post #23 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tl2k2 View Post

You never get the marketing of business huh? In that case I'm no long interested to discuss in this thread, I'm keep repeating but you never get it or something. Good luck finding the one you like.
At least my reasoning was based on fact (there is a model UN65HU8550 detailed on the Samsung Web site that is identical to the description on the Costco Web site) rather something in my imagination. Occam's razor would say that some low paid data entry employee made a one character typing error rather than Costco spend considerable time and effort to change a model number when there are no feature differences in the Costco model. Maybe next time you are in Costco you could snap a picture of the manufacturer's label on the back of the set and give your opinion a more factual basis.
Mike3010 is offline  
post #24 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post

I know this has been asked before but I can't find it.

What are the differences between the HU8550 and HU8500 from Samsung??

I'm looking at the Costco one and it's a HU8500.
Anyway, the question has been answered. According to a comparison of the info available on the Costco website with the info on the Samsung website by tl2k2, the device listed on the Costco site is identical with the HU8550. Which is what I was trying to say in my very first post.
Mike3010 is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hqduong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3010 View Post


At least my reasoning was based on fact (there is a model UN65HU8550 detailed on the Samsung Web site that is identical to the description on the Costco Web site) rather something in my imagination. Occam's razor would say that some low paid data entry employee made a one character typing error rather than Costco spend considerable time and effort to change a model number when there are no feature differences in the Costco model. Maybe next time you are in Costco you could snap a picture of the manufacturer's label on the back of the set and give your opinion a more factual basis.

 

Someone seems to think they know more than they really know.

 

Samsung has both as well

8550

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65HU8550FXZA

 

8500

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65HU8500FXZA

 

This is why I asked. Funny if you're being condescending and your facts are wrong. This thread is dead, no point since you ruined it for everyone.

hqduong is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Member
 
Mike3010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post

Someone seems to think they know more than they really know.

Samsung has both as well
8550
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65HU8550FXZA

8500
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN65HU8500FXZA

This is why I asked. Funny if you're being condescending and your facts are wrong. This thread is dead, no point since you ruined it for everyone.
Not sure why you think I was condescending - in fact I actually described my viewpoint as "humble", the very opposite of condescending. I already said I hadn't heard of a UN 8500... and I specifically asked for a page so that I could go find more. Thank you for providing what I asked for, a Web page that several people have previously been unable to find (don't know about anyone else, but I prefer to read stuff for myself, preferably from the original source). The thread is "dead" because your question was answered.
Mike3010 is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rick0725's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The xx00 series of sets will be sold to Sam's, BJ's, Costco category of merchants (with some to be added) and not available to general distribution. They are the same set but may add a promotional item like a free wireless keyboard as on the 7150/7100 led for example.
Rick0725 is offline  
post #28 of 36 Old 05-18-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
hqduong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

The xx00 series of sets will be sold to Sam's, BJ's, Costco category of merchants (with some to be added) and not available to general distribution. They are the same set but may add a promotional item like a free wireless keyboard as on the 7150/7100 led for example.


Perfect. Exactly what I suspected. Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

hqduong is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 05-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Member
 
jberthoty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Greetings all,

I posted this in a couple of other forums at this site, desperate for an answer. I hope that's ok.

I’m having an issue that I can’t work out. Everything was fine with the following configuration:

TV: Samsung HL61A750A (older DLP 61”).
AVR: Denon AVR-X3000.
HTPC (home build) w/ASROCK Z87 Extreme 4 M/B, I5-4670K CPU. I’m using the onboard graphics of the CPU; no graphics card.
New HDMI cables throughout.

Yesterday, I got my brand new TV. Samsung UN65HU8500 (Costco version of UN65HU8550?).
Cable and Blu-ray working but the blu-ray video drops out every 10 seconds or so. The home theater PC however, is not working. No video. TV shows message on-screen saying “no signal”. I do get sound sometimes though. I know this because when I click the arrows on my Logitech keyboard (linked to the HTPC), I can hear the XBMC “boop” as the main menu changes with my clicks.

Another point: When I hit the reset button on my HTPC, the PC reboots and I can SEE AND HEAR Windows rebooting on the TV, but once the PC is about booted up, the video disappears!
Is it the Denon? Is it the new TV? Remember, this all worked fine with the old TV.

Should I return this TV to Costco and get another of the same (my particular unit defective)? Or should I get a different brand/model altogether? And what would THAT be. I've paid a bit over $3,700 for this, so I don't want to go much higher. And I'd like to stay close to 65", if possible.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks
jberthoty is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old 05-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Member
 
jberthoty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In case this may help someone else:

I tried connecting direct from sources to the tv. HTPC, no go. Cable box, yes. Blu-ray, in and out.
Found the problem though...

I had the HTPC screen res. set to 3840x2160 (recommended by Windows). Why it said that? I think it saw, through HDMI, that the new 4k tv was hooked up (through my Denon AVR).
I switched screen res to 1920x1080. Boom, fixed! HTPC output looks great AND blu-ray output is now rock solid. Cable signal still rock solid, looks great.
The last issue was to get the TV smart hub apps (Netflix, youtube, etc.) able to send the audio BACK to the Denon AVR via the HDMI ARC connection, othewise I would not have sound using those apps (tv speakers are OFF).
There is a menu setting for audio output on the tv setup that must be set to 'Receiver', but that choice was disabled. Found out I had to set 'HDMI Control' to 'ON'. It was off.
Now, everything is good to go.
jberthoty is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - HU8550 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off