Sharp LC-80UQ17U owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
It's between this and the upcoming Vizio FALD 80" for me. I'm interested in owners comments on possible backlight bleed and/or clouding on the Sharp since it's edge lit. Also, gaming lag.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I didn't realize Visio was coming out with a 80" FALD. Do you have a part number?
post #3 of 15 Old 05-20-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I can't seem to clarify the number.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
post #4 of 15 Old 05-20-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

I didn't realize Visio was coming out with a 80" FALD. Do you have a part number?

Pretty much the entire Vizio product line will be FALD this year. Just check out the Vizio 2014 topic on this forum -- it.s always on the first page. The difference is the higher the letter model the more dimming zones of FALD. The economy model has so few as to be token. The M line should be interesting. The P line, if it really comes out much later this year is 4K and quote a few zones. And the supposed flagship R series would be amazing, with hundreds of local zones, but it's questionable whether it is vaporware, at least for 2014.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-20-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Does the 80" have any advantages over the 70" other than size?
post #6 of 15 Old 05-20-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

Does the 80" have any advantages over the 70" other than size?

Assuming you're still talking about Sharp and not Vizio, I don't think so. But size is a HUGE advantage, which is why they can charge such a premium for the largest model sets. But it's all relative to what you are coming from...
post #7 of 15 Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Regarding size, the step up in viewing area from my livingroom to my mancave (see sig) is more than 100%, or around twice as much.

In terms of clounding and light bleed, as with all LCD manufacture it is hit or miss. I ended up with a very good set, although I have one corner that bothers me in dark scenes when displaying 4K material. (For some reason the THX mode becomes unavailable when it is fed a 2160p image, and the adjustments I have made in the THX mode largely remove the slight clouding in that corner.) I really have no regrets with this thing. Here are some images I took last night from a labeled 4K Youtube stream. Granted, these are only with the my Note2 cell camera.

nowknown and Mrorange303 like this.

Samsung PN58B550 (Livingroom) - Samsung BDP-F7500
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV - DefTech SM65 C/L/R x3 - CS Ensemble III (surrounds)
Sharp LC-80UQ17U (Mancave) - Amazon Fire TV & Samsung BDP-E5900
Denon 4520CI - GE Triton 2 - GE SCXL - Klipsch RP3 (surrounds) - PSA XS15se
post #8 of 15 Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarius View Post

Regarding size, the step up in viewing area from my livingroom to my mancave (see sig) is more than 100%, or around twice as much.

In terms of clounding and light bleed, as with all LCD manufacture it is hit or miss. I ended up with a very good set, although I have one corner that bothers me in dark scenes when displaying 4K material. (For some reason the THX mode becomes unavailable when it is fed a 2160p image, and the adjustments I have made in the THX mode largely remove the slight clouding in that corner.) I really have no regrets with this thing. Here are some images I took last night from a labeled 4K Youtube stream. Granted, these are only with the my Note2 cell camera.

nice color. Not over saturated but still punchy.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-21-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

All 80qu have some clouding it's part of the deal. As long as you are happy with the picture once your programming is on then it's all good.

Sharp Aquos LC-80UQ17U
Bowers and Wilkins 683's S1
Bowers and Wilkins htm61 S1
Bowers and Wilkins 685's S1
SVS dual PB 1000's
Denon X-4520ci
Panamax Model: MR5100
Harmony 650 Remote
post #10 of 15 Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Has anyone done any calibrations on this or smaller UQ17Us yet?
post #11 of 15 Old 05-21-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

Pretty much the entire Vizio product line will be FALD this year. Just check out the Vizio 2014 topic on this forum -- it.s always on the first page. The difference is the higher the letter model the more dimming zones of FALD. The economy model has so few as to be token. The M line should be interesting. The P line, if it really comes out much later this year is 4K and quote a few zones. And the supposed flagship R series would be amazing, with hundreds of local zones, but it's questionable whether it is vaporware, at least for 2014.

I've been watching that thread and haven't seen anything about an 80 (could have easily missed it). I see from Visio's site they have an 80 in the M series, but that is last year's model and isn't FALD. The P has a 70 planned (max size) and the R series jumps from 65 to 120.

Going from a projector to a regular screen and I'm finding that a 70 is a bit too small. 75 seems about right and 80 a tad too big. 75 isn't too popular so I'm considering the 80" Sharp. I'd rather get used to a larger screen than a smaller one. smile.gif
post #12 of 15 Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post

I've been watching that thread and haven't seen anything about an 80 (could have easily missed it). I see from Visio's site they have an 80 in the M series, but that is last year's model and isn't FALD. The P has a 70 planned (max size) and the R series jumps from 65 to 120.

Going from a projector to a regular screen and I'm finding that a 70 is a bit too small. 75 seems about right and 80 a tad too big. 75 isn't too popular so I'm considering the 80" Sharp. I'd rather get used to a larger screen than a smaller one. smile.gif

From Vizio's 2014 teaser website:

http://ces.vizio.com/m-series.html#skip

Says "up to 80 inches" for the new 2014 M series. 32 zone FALD panels.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-22-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Solarius- could you share what adjustments you made?

post #14 of 15 Old 05-29-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 156

Anyone have any comment on this critical review...?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532833/sharp-lc-60uq17u-a-brief-critical-look

post #15 of 15 Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Anyone have any comment on this critical review...?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532833/sharp-lc-60uq17u-a-brief-critical-look

In that piece, I reported what Tom Norton told me, that the UQ17 downconverts UHD to 1080p before displaying it. I just heard from Sharp that this is NOT true; it accepts UHD and displays it with somewhat less resolution than true UHD but more than 1080p. I regret having written that before fact checking it for myself. I will correct the original piece.

tlwiz1 likes this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page