post #31 of 35 Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

What is "CATS"?
Constant Automatic Tracking System - Adjusts Brightness and gradation according to Room's ambient lighting.

All Panasonic TVs have this (well at least all my Panasonic's since the S2 Plasma ). Whenever I've read pro's recommendations for settings, they always recommend it to be off. When I turned CATS on in a semi-dark room (bedroom with heavy curtains) it makes a TV picture, that I had already applied my own settings, MUCH darker and darker than I would watch it at.

I've been playing with my settings and have now set the Backlight up from 30 to 60. When I set the TV to CNET recommendation (3), I see very little differences in setting contrast and the white looked a little gray to me. Setting the BackLight to 60 gives me much better results in a "true" white and with the color clipping especially blues and reds.

While running more tests from the AVS 709, I noticed some clouding on the greys (but, both white and black do _NOT_ have this problem).

I am now restarting my testing after setting the Backlighting to 60.

Here is a complete list of all my settings:
--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Backlight: 30 (Cnet recommendation: 3)
Contrast: 82 (Cnet: 94)
Brightness: +4 (Cnet: 0)
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Vivid Color: Off
Adaptive backlight control: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG NR: Off
Motion picture setting: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Contrast A.I.: Off
Contrast A.I setting [greyed out]

W/B detail adjustment menu:
W/B high R: -3
W/B high G: -1
W/B high B: 3
W/B low R: 3
W/B low G: 3
W/B low B: -4

Color detail adjustment menu:
Red hue: 0
Red Saturation: 0
Red luminance: 0
Green hue: 0
Green Saturation: 0
Green luminance: 0
Blue hue: -1
Blue Saturation: -3
Blue luminance: 0

Gamma detail adjustment menu:
Gamma: 2.2

--Advanced picture submenu
3:2 pulldown: Auto [often grayed out depending on source]
HDMI content type: [all Off]
HDMI/DVI RGB range: [all Standard (16-235)]
Black level: Light

Last edited by latenitec1; 08-29-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Fixed Black Level setting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 08-31-2014, 04:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Constant Automatic Tracking System - Adjusts Brightness and gradation according to Room's ambient lighting.
Another marketing gimmick that is turned off.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #33 of 35 Old 09-04-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm also interested in the TC-55AS680U model, but I can't seem to find very much information on it. I'm trying to decide between this one or one of the Vizio M or possibly a P Series sets. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks.
post #34 of 35 Old 09-04-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I tried to demo a couple Panny sets, but all were in this store (retail) demo mode. The rocket scientist teenaged "associate" claimed that they can not be switch over. (I think someone 'texted' her. )
Without a remote, how can these be switch out of retail mode with the PIP layout?
I can see why they aren't popular, how can you sell sets, if they can't be demonstrated properly??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #35 of 35 Unread 09-15-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello thread. If this is in the wrong place Im sorry. I searched for a AS530 only forum and this was as close as I found. Anyway on to the question.

After the recent earthquake we had here in Napa, California we lost 2 out of 4 of our flat screens. Both 50" Samsung plasmas. After a lot of research, exchanging, etc. we ended up replacing both with TS-50AS530U's. I use my set alot with movies I have on hard drives, so having a good media player was important. Well I didnt find out until after we had them that they wont play .avi's. So we have been using external USB players for avi files. After some reading I found out that avi is just a container, and not the movies actual format? So is there anyway other than reencoding the entire movie to get it to play on the smart app media player? I know it plays mkv and mp4 just fine. Thanks and sorry if stupid question. Still learning.

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List