Official LG XXUB8500 thread (4K 2014 model) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 05-27-2014, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I noticed a few of us have bought these already. I thought I would start a thread specifically for this model. I hope to start seeing some good configurations, tips, and tricks to share as time passes. I've had mine 2 days now. I'm a happy owner of the 49" model. I tried out a blu-ray in my Xbox One tonight. It was Frozen. My daughter cannot get enough of that movie. I was definitely impressed by the picture. I did notice some slight light bleed in the corner. I will see if I can get that corrected in the next day or two. Hopefully this thread will allow us to have our 8500's all looking spectacular, as long as troubleshoot any problems that we encounter.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-49UB8500-led-tv

Vegas oled likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-28-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi tbonestl,

I was considering getting this exact same model myself but I was hoping that you could answer few questions for me first before I do.

First, how good is the response in terms of when playing video games on a console like the Xbox 360, in other words do you ever notice any lag issues?

Second, how bad is the light bleeding you were talking about earlier, especially when in dark scenes like the movie "the dark knight"?

Third, if it's at all possible could you tell me what PC resolutions it supports when there is a computer connected up to the tv?

Last, if it's not too much trouble could you please upload some HD or Full HD quality photo's of your new tv, especially of the front screen during day time use and in the evening as well so I can get an idea what the quality will be like if I buy this tv?

P.S. Thanks in advance if you decide to answer my question's, especially the last question;)
post #3 of 25 Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So I got my 49UB8500 delivered last week. So far so good, but haven't had much time to mess around with the picture settings yet nor do any kind of gaming.  The TV looks great very thin bezel, looks close to the 2013 (7400 model), though not quite as thin. Overall I'm quite happy with the purchase thus far as I spent only $1500 and I've now got a TV that should be future proof with 4K and HDMI 2.0. 

Web OS is pretty snappy, but lacking in the apps department. I saw MLB AtBAt in a video demo of WebOS from CES and was disappointed its not currently available. Same goes for Pandora, a good streaming music option of any kind would be much appreciated. I've got my fingers crossed that Plex will develop an App for this platform, as the smart share feature built into the TV to stream shared network content from does not look the greatest and is cumbersome to navigate. I used the Miracast feature to mirror my Galaxy S4 screen and it worked OK, resolution could have been better and some lag was noticeable. 

One unique observation, when I went to chromecast an chrome tab, the LG smart TV showed up as an option in addition to my chromecast. I clicked on the LG smart TV, but couldn't get it to play on the TV. Anybody know anything about this? 

post #4 of 25 Old 06-03-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Wow the 55" is now down to $1750 on Amazon, would love to know what kind of input lag it has in "game" mode.  And how well it looks when watching letterboxed TV (i.e. any annoying light bleeding into the screen edges).  I think it's either this TV or the Panasonic ax800u...love the marks the panny gets for quality and input lag, don't like that you have to buy it from Panasonic directly (in the U.S.)...also I could get a lot of videos and good speakers etc. for the now $1550 price difference.

post #5 of 25 Old 06-03-2014, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post

Wow the 55" is now down to $1750 on Amazon, would love to know what kind of input lag it has in "game" mode.  And how well it looks when watching letterboxed TV (i.e. any annoying light bleeding into the screen edges).  I think it's either this TV or the Panasonic ax800u...love the marks the panny gets for quality and input lag, don't like that you have to buy it from Panasonic directly (in the U.S.)...also I could get a lot of videos and good speakers etc. for the now $1550 price difference.

49″ LG 49UB8500 4K 120hz 3D LED HDTV – 64ms Bad

http://www.displaylag.com/oled-4k-2014-input-lag-results/

post #6 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anyone tried to play Netflix 4k content and Youtube 4k yet? Also would it be possible to download Hevc samples, attach it to a thumb drive and see if they will play?

For those who brought the tv if you don't mind

1) Try to play Netflix and Youtube 4k content to see if it works?
2) Would it be possible to download Hevc samples, attach it to a thumb drive and see if they will play?
3) How does cable Sd and Hd channels look on the tv?

According to Amazon only one of the Hdmi ports is 2.0 the rest are 1.4. Lgs website specs say 4 hdmi 2.0 ports but someone on Lg product page on the Ask and answer tab asked if the tv can display 4k at 60hz and someone replied it can over its 1 hdmi 2.0 port. So does it have 4 or 1 hdmi 2.0 ports?

Thanks
post #7 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would love to see any high res pics of the 55" in action. The scathing British review(Google ub8500 review, forgot name of site)points out the no input screen has blooming, but looking at the high end sony 4k sets, they also have clouding on a no input screen. Same with the new sharp q+. Point is, as soon as content is up there, it's no big deal. Also wondering about the netflix 4k, as this tv should have the ability to play it, but the review says the app won't work? I'm coming from a 8year old toshiba dlp, waited for hdmi 2.0 and hdcp2.2 with 4k, so this might be the set to get( sony soon has a 49" for the same price, but seems too small). Thanks for any feedback on quality once you get it home.
post #8 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi guys, I'm from the UK and have took delivery last Saturday of the 55 inch version, over here is UB850v but its the same set. Unfortunately the panel was slightly damaged in transit and I have to wait until next Tuesday for the replacement but for the moment its usable and gives me plenty of time to play with it, the panel itself was pushed in at the top about 12 inches from the left, the screen is warped slightly in that area and is causing bad backlight bleed right at the top, there is also more backlight bleeding on the top right of the panel and upon closer inspection of the whole set there does appear to be lots of places on the screen itself where it doesn't sit flush against the bezel, some bits are flush and in other areas there is a 2 or 3mm gap, not entirely sure if its all down the fact that something was pushed against it and caused the damage but hopefully the replacement next Tuesday will be fine and I can comment more.

Anyway, I can still use the set and it gives a lovely vibrant picture, daytime viewing is superb, night time viewing in the dark is not so good, I think the off putting bit is the backlight bleeding caused by the panel damage, but obviously the led local dimming has an effect on things which normally isnt an issue for me, my previous set was LG and had led local dimming so you get used to it and certainly the other areas on the panel seem fine so hopefully its just due to the panel damage in transit.

2d stuff, especially blu's etc are superb, clarity is great and very punchy, the set upscales to 4k very well indeed and I was most impressed by its abilities, the only issue was motion handling on 24p content, I find LG sets to be a little more jerky than others but nothing too bad, I don't like to use tru motion stuff at all for any 2d stuff.

3d was very very nice, due to being 4k we now have full hd3d passive and it looks superb, despite the horrid, scathing review on HDTVtest and its comments about the 3d crosstalk I just could not see any crosstalk at all, whether its because they tested the 49 and mine is the 55 I don't know, I would assume that both sets would be identical spec wise. Motion handling on 3d was similar to 2d but due to the complexities of 3d I prefer to have a very minimal amount of tru motion in action to just make it a little easier, aside from this I found the 3d to be truly excellent, depth and pop were superb and the image itself was lovely and bright with loads of contrast, I can see me watching more 3d on this set than on my projector!

Gaming was very nice also, i'm not a hardcore gamer and play now and again, but playing Mario Kart 8 on this looked sublime, motion was spot on and I really could not fault it all, it was vibrant and very detailed.

The sound from the internal speakers pleasantly surprised me, much better and fuller sounding than I had anticipated, so much so I no longer need my sub-less soundbar.

The WebOS on the set is very nice, very snappy and a joy to use, I must admit I have only briefly gone through it and not installed any apps but that will come all in good time, today we should see the Netflix app updated and working so streaming 4k will be up and running.

4k content I tried was nice, some stuff was genuinely jaw dropping, others looked little better than full hd, I think if done properly then its well worth the extra resolution, i've played alot of the usual Youtube 4k clips and all very nice, some of the clips from the Sony AX100 4k camcorder looked stunning, that may be my next purchase!

If anybody has any other questions etc just fire away, hopefully the issues I have with mine are only due to the damage and the panel being pressed in and warped in a couple of places, it certainly appears so and the backlight bleeding from those areas is not nice, but as I said the rest of the screen looked fine so if the replacement set can maintain that all over the panel then it will be great.

I can get some detailed pics etc done tonight if anyone is interested, bear in mind the time difference as i'm in the UK.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emporer View Post

Hi guys, I'm from the UK and have took delivery last Saturday of the 55 inch version, over here is UB850v but its the same set. Unfortunately the panel was slightly damaged in transit and I have to wait until next Tuesday for the replacement but for the moment its usable and gives me plenty of time to play with it, the panel itself was pushed in at the top about 12 inches from the left, the screen is warped slightly in that area and is causing bad backlight bleed right at the top, there is also more backlight bleeding on the top right of the panel and upon closer inspection of the whole set there does appear to be lots of places on the screen itself where it doesn't sit flush against the bezel, some bits are flush and in other areas there is a 2 or 3mm gap, not entirely sure if its all down the fact that something was pushed against it and caused the damage but hopefully the replacement next Tuesday will be fine and I can comment more.

Anyway, I can still use the set and it gives a lovely vibrant picture, daytime viewing is superb, night time viewing in the dark is not so good, I think the off putting bit is the backlight bleeding caused by the panel damage, but obviously the led local dimming has an effect on things which normally isnt an issue for me, my previous set was LG and had led local dimming so you get used to it and certainly the other areas on the panel seem fine so hopefully its just due to the panel damage in transit.

2d stuff, especially blu's etc are superb, clarity is great and very punchy, the set upscales to 4k very well indeed and I was most impressed by its abilities, the only issue was motion handling on 24p content, I find LG sets to be a little more jerky than others but nothing too bad, I don't like to use tru motion stuff at all for any 2d stuff.

3d was very very nice, due to being 4k we now have full hd3d passive and it looks superb, despite the horrid, scathing review on HDTVtest and its comments about the 3d crosstalk I just could not see any crosstalk at all, whether its because they tested the 49 and mine is the 55 I don't know, I would assume that both sets would be identical spec wise. Motion handling on 3d was similar to 2d but due to the complexities of 3d I prefer to have a very minimal amount of tru motion in action to just make it a little easier, aside from this I found the 3d to be truly excellent, depth and pop were superb and the image itself was lovely and bright with loads of contrast, I can see me watching more 3d on this set than on my projector!

Gaming was very nice also, i'm not a hardcore gamer and play now and again, but playing Mario Kart 8 on this looked sublime, motion was spot on and I really could not fault it all, it was vibrant and very detailed.

The sound from the internal speakers pleasantly surprised me, much better and fuller sounding than I had anticipated, so much so I no longer need my sub-less soundbar.

The WebOS on the set is very nice, very snappy and a joy to use, I must admit I have only briefly gone through it and not installed any apps but that will come all in good time, today we should see the Netflix app updated and working so streaming 4k will be up and running.

4k content I tried was nice, some stuff was genuinely jaw dropping, others looked little better than full hd, I think if done properly then its well worth the extra resolution, i've played alot of the usual Youtube 4k clips and all very nice, some of the clips from the Sony AX100 4k camcorder looked stunning, that may be my next purchase!

If anybody has any other questions etc just fire away, hopefully the issues I have with mine are only due to the damage and the panel being pressed in and warped in a couple of places, it certainly appears so and the backlight bleeding from those areas is not nice, but as I said the rest of the screen looked fine so if the replacement set can maintain that all over the panel then it will be great.

I can get some detailed pics etc done tonight if anyone is interested, bear in mind the time difference as i'm in the UK.

Thanks hope you get your replacement soon. What 4k and 2d things have you watched ie cable tv sd/hd, just blu rays etc etc.

Wondering how sd cable channels look and also regular dvds.
post #10 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 AM

2d viewing has been satellite (Sky) and looks superb, really really nice and superb motion handling (over here its 50hz broadcast) I was expecting poor quality SD material from comments i'd read prior to purchasing but am very surprised as it looks much better than expected.

4k has just been downloaded stuff and played either on a USB stick or streaming via Youtube.
post #11 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

How about Netflix, are you able to test and 4k content from them?
post #12 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've got the 49 in my basement office. I posted about it a bit in the general LG 2014 thread, but here's a few answers.

1. It does play Netflix 4k (there's even a section for it)- However right now the only thing present is House of Cards and about 4 short nature videos. They all look impressive though House of Cards most noticeable difference is in the opening titles. In the main show, it's often tough to see an improvement

2. It's correct that only one HDMI port is 2.0 (HDMI 2). It's actually marked on the set.

3. I'm not sure that it's actually playing you tube 4k content as 4k. It looks just like 1080p content

4. The most impressive picture I have gotten was a downloaded 4k short video called "tears of steel" played back from my macbook pro. The differences in several scenes like the dome and the main characters stubble are quite noticeable.

5. I was able to find one HVEC codes video clip and it played without issues, through the clip didn't impress me.

In any case it's a huge improvement over my recently purchased Sharp 15q+ whose claims of "better than HD" seem to be BS. I may swap my 49 for the 55 now that they are available and put it in the living room in place of the sharp.

PS: make sure that you get the rather large OS update before you do any evaluation. In addition to enabling the store, it seems to bring some significant improvements to picture quality with OTA sources
post #13 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks azcompguy and emporer for the replies. Are there a lot of apps? From what i remember Amazon and M-go are suppose to have 4k material. Any other apps the tv set has for 4k content? Overall would you say it worth it to buy the tv over a standard 1080p set?

Can wait to see some pictures when they are posted.
post #14 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 06:05 AM

App selection is thin so far with no unique content other than a few low quality games.

I am a VUDU user. There is not currently anything other than HDX quality , but I have read elsewhere that 4k is "coming soon"

I could not find any other apps that are specifically designed for 4k

Also my kids say that 3d looks great!
post #15 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 06:36 AM

Interesting that you mention a rather large update, mine hasn't detected any updates since setting it up at all, maybe things are different with the US and UK sets and the software they use.

I had the chance to check out my 55 inch model earlier today in a local electrical shop while I was on my lunch break, I definitely have a bad set, the panel on the one in the shop was flush upto the bezel unlike mine which has many gaps around the whole panel reinforcing the fact that something had pushed the panel in during transit and thus warped it, I couldn't test out any of the backlight as the shop was very bright and its near impossible to check but certainly the areas that my set are bad on I couldn't see any issues with the shop one.

Fingers crossed my replacement set on Tuesday next week is good.
post #16 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 06:54 AM

I had to manually retrieve the update by going in to settings>about....
post #17 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 AM

Thats where I went and it checked for any updates but none were found.

Would be good to see what version you had before and after.
post #18 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm glad to hear there are some happy customers. This set kinda came out of nowhere for me while waiting to hear about the vizio p series. I thought I didn't care about 3d, but if I'm going to get a new set, I want as many options as possible. The dual play looks awesome!One question, is the magic remote the only choice?
post #19 of 25 Old 06-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/49ub850v-201406033786.htm

Quote:
The LG 49UB850V is not only the worst 4K TV we’ve tested, it’s also one of the worst-performing televisions we’ve reviewed to date in terms of image quality. Sure, it’s 4K (even that’s not strictly true considering the significant drop in resolution with movement), but there exist many other critical elements of picture quality including contrast ratio, shadow detail and motion handling, and the UB850 flunked the majority of them. 

Award "Below Average"

post #20 of 25 Old 06-26-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just want the global dimming gone, the 49UB8500 would be fine otherwise...
post #21 of 25 Old 07-23-2014, 11:33 PM

Does anybody use the built in satellite feed for Freesat or similar? I'm in the UK and have hooked up my dish to this, the epg shows Freeview and not Freesat in the top left corner, not sure if that's meant to be like that but no big deal, my main concern is this thing should have 8 day epg data, after being hooked up since 7pm last night its now 12 hours later and no more epg data than whats on now and next.

Do I have to wait longer for the epg to update?
post #22 of 25 Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
Has anyone tried to play Netflix 4k content and Youtube 4k yet? Also would it be possible to download Hevc samples, attach it to a thumb drive and see if they will play?

For those who brought the tv if you don't mind

1) Try to play Netflix and Youtube 4k content to see if it works?
2) Would it be possible to download Hevc samples, attach it to a thumb drive and see if they will play?
3) How does cable Sd and Hd channels look on the tv?

According to Amazon only one of the Hdmi ports is 2.0 the rest are 1.4. Lgs website specs say 4 hdmi 2.0 ports but someone on Lg product page on the Ask and answer tab asked if the tv can display 4k at 60hz and someone replied it can over its 1 hdmi 2.0 port. So does it have 4 or 1 hdmi 2.0 ports?

Thanks
It has one HDMI 2.0 port. That is HDMI #3 only, marked as 10-bit.

I played some 4K content on it from my retina Macbook Pro. I can also play 4K on my living room 55 inch Seiki, but only 30 Hz.

Strangely, the 4K seems to work on the other HDMI ports, but not at 60 Hz.

If I attach to HDMI-3, my Macbook Pro shows some phenomenal resolution 7680 x 4320. The resolution window from the Mac on the LG shows 5 settings, the max being the one above. The cursor was so small it was difficult to find. This is obviously not a true resolution but the 7680 x 4320 was downscaled to fit the max resolution of the LG. Probably 60 Hz vs 30 Hz.
post #23 of 25 Old 08-25-2014, 07:32 PM

is there any video calibration for this model? dont know how to adjust
post #24 of 25 Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM

anyone update there firmware