Sony XBR65X900B vs Samsung UN65F9000 & Samsung UN65F8550 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-08-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I'm trying to make a decision between these sets and hope people could fill me in on some of the more significant differences.  I was originally planning on the Sony as I like the brand, my last TV (60NX810) was Sony, and I mainly use a PS3 & PS4.  I have to admit that the two Samsung models really caught my attention in store, however.

One of the reasons I got the NX810 was for the glossy glass screen which seemed to allow for excellent blacks, and I was planning on going with the X900B for the same reason.  However, I am somewhat worried about too much glare.  I will be moving to a condo with a large open living room/dining room/kitchen. Although there will not be any windows facing the TV head on, there will be a lot of windows in the room as well as potential for multiple other light sources so I am very worried about glare.  It was very evident in store how much glare the X900B caught compared to the other sets.  It seems like a TV that would be optimally placed in a basement home theatre.

The other factor is the speakers.  I have a 5.1 Paradigm Signature speaker system so really have no need for the X900B's large speakers which may necessitate a larger entertainment unit.

One of my concerns about the Samsung 9000 is the curved screen.  In some respects it seems like a good idea, but it leaves me wondering if this is more of a temporary fad and whether the design style will be short-lived and people who come over 2 years from now will look at my TV and wonder what is up with the funky curve to my TV.  Which is what led me to include the 8550 here as well.  Are there any other added benefits to the 9000 over the 8550?  How does 3D content look on the 9000?

What about other factors between the Sony 900B and the Samsung 9000?  Are there any objective reports or opinions on how the black levels, colors, menu interface, other features, etc. compare between the two brands?  I don't intend for this thread to become a pissing match between the two camps but would greatly appreciate the reasoned thoughts of both sides!

Janibrewski likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-08-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As someone who has had the 8550 and now the 900b, I would highly recommend the 900b. Especially if your gaming. The input lag is much more noticeable on the 8550. If you play a lot of online fps games, you'll find yourself dying alot more at first with the the Samsung. As far as colors go, after calibration the sony just blows the samsung out of the water in my opinion. I'm still trying to decide which 3d I like better though. The samsungs 3d is more detailed and clear, but it does struggle with more crosstalk. I experienced virtually no cross talk with the sony so far, but the picture in 3d is just not as crisp as the samsung. However, I do think for what the sony lacks in crispness it makes up in colors. Lastly, if you watch a lot of sports go with the sony. I noticed alot of judder and strange artifacts that drove me crazy on the samsung. I couldn't even enjoy the nba playoffs because of it.
Carlos_E and Elemental2000 like this.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-08-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your observations!  That definitely causes me to lean more in the direction of the Sony which would be my brand of preference anyway.  I'm disappointed to hear about the drawbacks on the 3D as I do make use of a lot of 3D content.  I wonder what would cause the image to lose some crispness though...

Anyone else with any opinions/observations would be appreciated!

post #4 of 14 Old 06-08-2014, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

My biggest preference would have been to go with the 65X950 but that price is a bit steep...

post #5 of 14 Old 06-08-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental2000 View Post

My biggest preference would have been to go with the 65X950 but that price is a bit steep...

Yea I think that would be everyone's preference but the 900b is expensive enough as is.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-28-2014, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

So, I'm again finding myself forced to rethink my options. I'm into my new place now and I'm finding the glare on the screen from the lights in the kitchen behind to be quite noticeable. Obviously, if I'm sitting down to watch a movie I would turn the lights off. However, for just casual viewing while doing other things, I think this light could prove to be problematic. This is again causing me to lean towards getting a Samsung assuming the glare would likely be less. Any thoughts on whether this is the right idea or any other suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_002308_Android.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	140898   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_002518_Android.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	140906  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-28-2014, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental2000 View Post
So, I'm again finding myself forced to rethink my options. I'm into my new place now and I'm finding the glare on the screen from the lights in the kitchen behind to be quite noticeable. Obviously, if I'm sitting down to watch a movie I would turn the lights off. However, for just casual viewing while doing other things, I think this light could prove to be problematic. This is again causing me to lean towards getting a Samsung assuming the glare would likely be less. Any thoughts on whether this is the right idea or any other suggestions?
Glare on the HU9000 would be unbearable due to the curve based on my time seeing it. It somehow hits both corners and hits your eyes directly, I dont know how to explain it exactly, but its distracting
post #8 of 14 Old 06-28-2014, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7e View Post
Glare on the HU9000 would be unbearable due to the curve based on my time seeing it. It somehow hits both corners and hits your eyes directly, I dont know how to explain it exactly, but its distracting
Sorry, wrong model number. I would likely go with the flat panel because the curve would capture light from the windows 90 degrees across. Would the glare on this Samsung be less than the Sony?
post #9 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Sorry, wrong model number. I would likely go with the flat panel because the curve would capture light from the windows 90 degrees across. Would the glare on this Samsung be less than the Sony?
The glare on the Sony will be more direct. Samsung's will me more radiant as it will try and disperse the glare and washing out more picture. Kind of like a MacBook Pro, Vs MacBook Air.
Elemental2000 likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
The glare on the Sony will be more direct. Samsung's will me more radiant as it will try and disperse the glare and washing out more picture. Kind of like a MacBook Pro, Vs MacBook Air.
Hmm, I see. So, which do you think would be less distracting?
post #11 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Hmm, I see. So, which do you think would be less distracting?
Personally I think the Sony is the better set. I have some glare issues, but I and move and avoid them quicker because the screen is not dispersing the glare.

Aside from the glare, I have had the F9000, HU9000 and the XBR65X900A. Had a few issues with banding on a couple of the Sony's, but no flash lighting as I had on the Sammy's. Just to say no sets perfect.

However, the upconversion on the Sony is far superior. Also, the colors and tones are far more appealing to my eye. The Sammy's just seemed harsh. Taster choice.

Is there a reason other than FALD for the 950b? You can get a killer deal on the 900a and still come out with what I felt was superior to both of the Sammy's your looking at.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Any set you buy will show reflections to some noticeable degree bud, especially the way you have your setup currently. How easy it would be just to turn off your under cabinet kitchen counter lights and the other light?

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-29-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Any set you buy will show reflections to some noticeable degree bud, especially the way you have your setup currently. How easy it would be just to turn off your under cabinet kitchen counter lights and the other light?
I most certainly would turn them off when watching a movie. I'm just thinking about say, when making supper with the TV on. Kitchen lights will be on. I'm just looking for the optimal TV option for reducing glare but maximizing image quality.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-26-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Which one did you end up going with Elemental?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - XBR65X900B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page