Official Panasonic TC-58AX800U & TC-65AX800U 4k Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 178 Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbox View Post

Just got back from the store where I checked a 65" AX800 display model.

This one seemed to have somewhat better uniformity with only one 2 inch vertical band on the far left side of the screen. Definitely an improvement over 7-8 inches of bands on the right middle of my screen.

I will go and see another display model at another store when they put it up, and then decide which one is most acceptable.

Was it as noticeable as your set? Did you only see it when using your grey screen or was it with anything that you watched on it? My delivery never came today, even though I was told it was. So now it is tomorrow, I hope.

-Hawkmoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 178 Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Was it as noticeable as your set? Did you only see it when using your grey screen or was it with anything that you watched on it? My delivery never came today, even though I was told it was. So now it is tomorrow, I hope.
Much less noticeable as it was just a narrow band on the far left side of the screen, as opposed to wide blob in the right-centre on my one.

I'm having a look at another display model later today and then I will decide which one to take.

I ran a Unigine Valley graphics benchmark on my bare bones new rig yesterday at max available resolution (2560x1440) and it looked very sweet. Banding was not noticeable and pan shots were not blurry.
post #33 of 178 Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by ops1567 

Please note - there are no stores that sell Panasonic!
only Online  shop Panasonic sells them .
This poor

In the U.S that is. In other countries they are sold in some stores.

Supposedly the U.S issue is going to change as Best Buy should start selling them and I agree that right now it is pretty poor/silly to only have sales directly from their Panasonic online.
Sure makes finding a deal hard.........
post #34 of 178 Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I finally was able to get my 65" Panasonic AX800 4k set. It took a long time for the shipping company to get to my area and then the local shipper was initially telling me that they could not deliver until Thursday or Friday. I had today off from work so asked if I could pick it up and they said no problem. So after a big issue with the shipping company, I finally have my set.

So, let me get this out of the way since I know another forum member has a set and he had really bad banding. I am happy to say that my set does not exhibit any bad banding. I did notice a slight band on the left 1/4 of the screen, but watching cable, movies etc. I had a hard time seeing it. It was on a Grey screen and slightly in my gaming, but even when I pointed it out to my wife, she could barely make it out and while I know it is there, at times I loose it and don't see it. So overall, banding is really not an issue on my set. Screen uniformity overall, seems really good. I ran my PC and used solid color screens to see any discolored areas and everything was really solid.

Clouding is very minimal on my set to the point where I really don't notice it at all. Even on a black screen in between loading things, it is pretty uniform. I did notice a bit of brighter lighting on the left/right edges of the screen, but under normal viewing this is not noticeable at all. I did run a few blu ray movies (Avatar, Star Wars, Avengers, Batman Dark Knight and Rises) and few Blu Ray TV Shows and everything looked really good. I mainly been using the THX Bright Room and THX Cinema mode when watching TV or movies/tv blu rays. I also watched some of the Hockey Final game tonight and it looked really good. Motion handling seemed good and the white of the ice looked pure and clean.

My main reason for getting this set as I did last years model was to use my PC for gaming at 4k. This is the only large screen set that has Display Port which every major Graphics Card has. I have to say that gaming at 4k at 60fps is bliss. Games looked great and input lag as tested from some of the reviews is very good. It is not the best, but so far it has the lowest input for any 4k set. My Sony 4k which I have in the living room has a slightly higher input lag, but really close to the Panasonic. This 4k set is in my gaming room and I moved my Sony 850 1080p to the bedroom. I played through about 3-4 games and so far everything is working great. Some games required some resetting because they were originally set to 1080p resolution, but once I fiddled with the settings they worked great. Or course at the resolution, the desktop was hard to read because everything was so small, but using Windows options I was able to increase things to easily readable size.

All in all, I am very happy with the set so far. I have not experienced any major screen issues which is what my biggest fear was..and yes, I am looking for issues. At this price point, I am not going to setting for bad uniformity or other issues. Comparing movies and tv shows against my Sony 4k x900a, both me my wife think the Panasonic looks a bit better. Not leaps and bounds better, but overall, we both agreed that the picture just seemed cleaner, colors more vibrant etc.

I am still messing with settings and making my own adjustments, as I mentioned earlier, I am using the THX Preset modes and they have been great, I made some adjustments to them, but ended going back to the factory default. One neat feature that is different than last years model is that the Game Mode can be applied to any of the pre-sets, so you can use game mode and one the THX presets. Game mode just seems to turn off certain things to maintain the good input lag.

I will post some pictures of my set and the set up and some game screen shots from some of the PC games tomorrow. If any one has any questions, please fire away and I will do my best to answer them. After about 5 hours of use, really loving the set!
rlindo likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #35 of 178 Old 06-12-2014, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are they going to release this set at any US retailers (Best Buy, etc.) any time soon? I'd love to see it in person.
post #36 of 178 Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Hawkmoon,

Thanks mate for the great feedback! Very pleased to hear you don't seem to ahve any major issues as well.

I'd suggest trying out reviewed.com's settings and see how that looks:

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...ew/the-science

If you already haven't, I'd also try out the professional preset mode as according to hdtvtest it is more accurate than the THX modes. Pro targets a 2.4 gamma which should provide a clear increase in image depth and richness compared to THX targeting 2.2, at least if your room is dark.

ROB
post #37 of 178 Old 06-12-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Hawkmoon,

Thanks mate for the great feedback! Very pleased to hear you don't seem to ahve any major issues as well.

I'd suggest trying out reviewed.com's settings and see how that looks:

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...ew/the-science

If you already haven't, I'd also try out the professional preset mode as according to hdtvtest it is more accurate than the THX modes. Pro targets a 2.4 gamma which should provide a clear increase in image depth and richness compared to THX targeting 2.2, at least if your room is dark.

I have not tried their settings, but will give them a shot later tonight. I will checking out the Pro pre-sets to see how they look. Last night I did notice some small clouding the lower part of the screen. It was left and right center of the bottom of the screen, but it is very faint. Basically, it is low enough to not bother me at least.

-Hawkmoon
post #38 of 178 Old 06-12-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi, Hawkmoon,
I'm interested in the Panasonic for pretty much the same reason as you, for use as computer monitor for my HTPC, computer and console gaming.
I'm curious as to what video card you are using? I use a set of NVidia 670 cards in SLI for gaming. I love playing computer games in 3D and I had been wondering if the Display port could do 3D gaming at 1080@ 60Hz as it would have sufficient bandwidth.
Another question, have you played any 3D movies? If so, how is the cross-talk/ghosting? Thanks for being one of the first beta testers!
post #39 of 178 Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post
Hi, Hawkmoon,
I'm interested in the Panasonic for pretty much the same reason as you, for use as computer monitor for my HTPC, computer and console gaming.
I'm curious as to what video card you are using? I use a set of NVidia 670 cards in SLI for gaming. I love playing computer games in 3D and I had been wondering if the Display port could do 3D gaming at 1080@ 60Hz as it would have sufficient bandwidth.
Another question, have you played any 3D movies? If so, how is the cross-talk/ghosting? Thanks for being one of the first beta testers!

I am using 2 GTX Titans in SLI paired with a I7-3930x CPU both under water. I have not tried 3d movies as of yet and have never gamed in 3D, but if I get time I will try to game in 3d. Time is tight for the next 2 days, but tomorrow I can try a 3D movie to see how it is.

For gaming, you will love it. Console games at 1080p look fantastic on this set and since you can apply the Game Mode to any of the pre-set's is a plus.
rlindo likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #40 of 178 Old 06-13-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I am using 2 GTX Titans in SLI paired with a I7-3930x CPU both under water. I have not tried 3d movies as of yet and have never gamed in 3D, but if I get time I will try to game in 3d. Time is tight for the next 2 days, but tomorrow I can try a 3D movie to see how it is.

For gaming, you will love it. Console games at 1080p look fantastic on this set and since you can apply the Game Mode to any of the pre-set's is a plus.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to your observations.
post #41 of 178 Old 06-13-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the continuing feedback Hawkmoon. I look forward to more of it.

ROB
post #42 of 178 Old 06-13-2014, 02:26 PM

Great to hear Hawkmoon's set is all good.

My situation in the meantime has turned into a real horror story.

First, my first set (the one with awful banding in the middle of the screen) developed a dead pixel on the right side of the screen - it was stuck on a bright green color, so when watching any 4/3 content or something with dark scenes it was shining like a star and it was pretty much all you could see. Simply baffling. In light of this the store where I got it from invited me to see their second set (displayed in store), which I found to have even worse banding and a weird color mismatch from left half of the screen to the right half of the screen with a vertical line clearly visible in the middle (like when you have displayport MST not working properly LOL). So that was a write off, and I requested a refund to get the third set - only one left in town at another store. However, by the time they delivered it yesterday, the third set also developed a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen - this time shining bright red. I could have sworn the dead pixel wasn't there a few days ago when I saw the set in the store. It also had a huge cloud in the left lower corner that was not visible in the bright-lighted store.

Anyway, I will be returning the third faulty set in a row on Monday, and after all that I believe I'm done with Panasonic as they're clearly not up there in terms of reliability. I mean dead pixels and distracting banding on all sets I've seen so far. Sorry, but that's just not good enough. Hopefully it is just an isolated problem and Panasonic is just shipping all the "lesser" units down here to New Zealand, so all the good ones go to America and Europe. I checked out the Samsung HU8500 while I was in the store yesterday and it had a lot of banding as well, while the curved HU9000 looked perfect - no banding, clouding, and certainly no dead pixels. I also think Sony's motionflow is much better smoothing filter than Panasonic, at least to my eyes. I gave Panasonic a lot of chances, but they let me down time and time again. Never again. :-(

So after a long talk to my missus we've decided to postpone the purchase of a 4K TV, and will instead get a 4K gaming monitor for PC gaming (Asus PB287Q) and a large reliable 1080p TV for watching videos (Sony KDL-70W850). And it will save us two grand.
post #43 of 178 Old 06-13-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbox View Post
Great to hear Hawkmoon's set is all good.

My situation in the meantime has turned into a real horror story.

First, my first set (the one with awful banding in the middle of the screen) developed a dead pixel on the right side of the screen - it was stuck on a bright green color, so when watching any 4/3 content or something with dark scenes it was shining like a star and it was pretty much all you could see. Simply baffling. In light of this the store where I got it from invited me to see their second set (displayed in store), which I found to have even worse banding and a weird color mismatch from left half of the screen to the right half of the screen with a vertical line clearly visible in the middle (like when you have displayport MST not working properly LOL). So that was a write off, and I requested a refund to get the third set - only one left in town at another store. However, by the time they delivered it yesterday, the third set also developed a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen - this time shining bright red. I could have sworn the dead pixel wasn't there a few days ago when I saw the set in the store. It also had a huge cloud in the left lower corner that was not visible in the bright-lighted store.

Anyway, I will be returning the third faulty set in a row on Monday, and after all that I believe I'm done with Panasonic as they're clearly not up there in terms of reliability. I mean dead pixels and distracting banding on all sets I've seen so far. Sorry, but that's just not good enough. Hopefully it is just an isolated problem and Panasonic is just shipping all the "lesser" units down here to New Zealand, so all the good ones go to America and Europe. I checked out the Samsung HU8500 while I was in the store yesterday and it had a lot of banding as well, while the curved HU9000 looked perfect - no banding, clouding, and certainly no dead pixels. I also think Sony's motionflow is much better smoothing filter than Panasonic, at least to my eyes. I gave Panasonic a lot of chances, but they let me down time and time again. Never again. :-(

So after a long talk to my missus we've decided to postpone the purchase of a 4K TV, and will instead get a 4K gaming monitor for PC gaming (Asus PB287Q) and a large reliable 1080p TV for watching videos (Sony KDL-70W850). And it will save us two grand.
Sorry to hear of all your issues. You sound like me from last year, where I had a lot of issues with Panasonics W600 4k and the banding issues. If you can live with the clouding, have you tried using those programs that attempt to fix dead/stuck pixels? I have used it in the past. Disneys WoW Blu Ray has a pixel program that helps fix these problems. It is not guaranteed, but the few times I tried it, I found success with it.

If you do move on, I would suggest the Sony 65" 850. It has amazing input lag measured at 18ms and it has a great picture. That is the set I had in my gaming room and everything looked great. Check on the thread here at AVS for pics of peoples set up.

-Hawkmoon
post #44 of 178 Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear of all your issues. You sound like me from last year, where I had a lot of issues with Panasonics W600 4k and the banding issues. If you can live with the clouding, have you tried using those programs that attempt to fix dead/stuck pixels? I have used it in the past. Disneys WoW Blu Ray has a pixel program that helps fix these problems. It is not guaranteed, but the few times I tried it, I found success with it.
If you do move on, I would suggest the Sony 65" 850. It has amazing input lag measured at 18ms and it has a great picture. That is the set I had in my gaming room and everything looked great. Check on the thread here at AVS for pics of peoples set up.
KDL-65W850A has not been available for a long while down here. I will try the 70W850B as main watching screen (also comes with free PS4 = $500 rebate) with the new Asus 4K screen for PC gaming.
post #45 of 178 Old 06-14-2014, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Someone how to work with the AX800 and 290 AMD video card?

1. How the UPSCALE through the video card?

2. How to adjust the screen to 4:4:4?

3. How the panel turns and Covers 98% of all professional DCI studio color standards ( if all the cloers 4:2:0 )

4. How three-dimension?

5. dp 1.2 how the screen works in that entrance?

6.AMD claims that supports Panasonic's color DC 65 AMD 290
Has anyone checked.

7.How claim DC65 color you see a triangle with onle REC 709?
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/uhdt...ost-strack.jpg
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx-50...1405193778.htm
post #46 of 178 Old 06-14-2014, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I hate to post this because it doesn't appear to be Panasonic's fault but my set arrived yesterday afternoon and the screen has a large defect in the middle (top). It looks like the screen is almost split but it's probably just the black plastic trim pulled over the top edge. It causes a flashlight effect down the middle of the screen, making it unwatchable. I've got a call into Panasonic to get an exchange and they say that someone will call me back by Wednesday.

Has anyone had any problems getting a new set in a situation like this? I don't think this is repairable and even if it was, I would be worried about latent damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000178.jpg (158.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg P1000176.jpg (177.6 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by bresna; 06-14-2014 at 04:41 AM.
post #47 of 178 Old 06-14-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I have not seen one yet in my area.
post #48 of 178 Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 AM

I'm looking closer at the outer box and it looks like someone laid it flat and picked it up by one end (flexing the screen) at some point during shipping. There's a slight crease in the box right where the screen is cracked. And it is cracked. I can see it when I look along the front from the right angle. There's a vertical crack right where the screen is screwed up. So it looks like a shipping problem.
post #49 of 178 Old 06-14-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
I'm looking closer at the outer box and it looks like someone laid it flat and picked it up by one end (flexing the screen) at some point during shipping. There's a slight crease in the box right where the screen is cracked. And it is cracked. I can see it when I look along the front from the right angle. There's a vertical crack right where the screen is screwed up. So it looks like a shipping problem.
Looks like the screen got pushed back and the backlight is bleeding through. I would return for a replacement, rather than trying to get it serviced.
post #50 of 178 Old 06-14-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

So if it isn't piss poor manufacturing QC it is morons at shipping companies not giving a rip about the products of other people. Gotta love it!

Here's hoping returning the set won't cause too much of a hassle and the replacement will not be handled by other shipping morons and will also be problem free.

ROB
post #51 of 178 Old 06-14-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

After a few days, I have noticed a bit more banding, I have two rows, about 3" wide on the left side of the screen. There is the first 3" wide band, then about 3" of space and another 3" wide band going from the top to the bottom of the screen. On the right hand there is a thin band about 1/4" thick. However, the banding is not very noticeable or distracting and there have been times where I don't see it. If I look for it and at times, need to look for it pretty hard I can see the banding. This is a big difference than the issues from last year, where no matter what I watched, I could see the banding.

Today is the first time I noticed the banding on the left side and that was while watching the World Cup. Since the color of the grass and the fast moving camera, I was able to pick up on it, but then I would loose it for a bit and then spot it again. It really only appears when I look for it and the camera is moving fast left to right. On a still screen of the grass on the field, there is no discoloration or anything like that some that have bad banding notices. For those of you that have read my posts in the past, I have no issues exchanging/returning TV's and as of today the slight banding I have is no reason for me to even think of exchanging at this time. Overall, the set is performing great and black level and color reproduction looks fantastic.

I did have a weird issue with the HDMI 4, which is the HDMI 2.0 port. My wife was helping me hook things up and she plugged the Receiver into HDMI port 4. My cable box is hooked up to the Xbox One and that is all routed through my Receiver. For some reason, my cable box would not go to 1080p/60. It would not even list 1080p, it would only list 1080i, but when trying it, I would get an error that my TV is not compatible with that resolution. I then tested the HDMI 4 port with my PC, just to test it and it worked fine at 4k with no issues. So I plugged the HDMI cable into HDMI 1 and the cable box now reads it at 1080p/60, it actually defaulted to it. So for some reason, when using HDMI 2.0, the Comcast box would not read it as anything higher that 720p. So not sure what other changes they made to HDMI 2.0, but my cable box did not like it. Just figured I would bring this up as an FYI.

-Hawkmoon
post #52 of 178 Old 06-14-2014, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4r4r4r00 View Post
Someone how to work with the AX800 and 290 AMD video card?

1. How the UPSCALE through the video card?

2. How to adjust the screen to 4:4:4?

3. How the panel turns and Covers 98% of all professional DCI studio color standards ( if all the cloers 4:2:0 )

4. How three-dimension?

5. dp 1.2 how the screen works in that entrance?

6.AMD claims that supports Panasonic's color DC 65 AMD 290
Has anyone checked.

7.How claim DC65 color you see a triangle with onle REC 709?
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/uhdt...ost-strack.jpg
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx-50...1405193778.htm

I will try to answer your questions as best as I can...

1.) You don't need to downscale. Your GPU/Windows should automatically set the resolution to 3840x2160.
2.) You can set it in the "Advanced Picture" menu. There are actually 2 settings. One for 1080p content, so if your receiver, blu ray or game system can do it, you can set it to 4:4:4. When using 4k resolution, there is a separate setting to put it at 4:4:4.
3 & 4 Not sure on these. I have not tried 3D yet.
5) When you connect to the Display Port as soon as you turn on your computer, you will see two identical screens side by side, usually your Motherboard logo. When the Windows logo shows up, it is also duplicated, showing the same image on the left/right side of the screen. It basically looks like two screens side by side. However, once Windows is booted, it goes to full screen and acts like it is just one big monitor. When you got the screen settings in Windows, the TV shows up as 1 monitor.
6) Not sure as I use Nvidia GPU's
7.) Not sure what you asking here. Sorry.

All in all, it works fantastic for a PC and it looks really sharp and clean. I believe a AMD 290 is a single GPU if I am not mistaken. If you are going to drive gaming at 4k and you want 60fps, only one GPU will not cut it. I have 2 GTX Titans both with a +100mhz Overclock and paired with a I7-3930x overclocked to 4.8 and depending on the game I do have turn down settings to get 4k@60fps. the good news is that at this high of pixel count, AA is not needed as much. I tested a few games with 8xMSAA vs. No AA and it was pretty much identical because at 4k resolution, AA is not really a problem.

-Hawkmoon
post #53 of 178 Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I hate to post this because it doesn't appear to be Panasonic's fault but my set arrived yesterday afternoon and the screen has a large defect in the middle (top). It looks like the screen is almost split but it's probably just the black plastic trim pulled over the top edge. It causes a flashlight effect down the middle of the screen, making it unwatchable. I've got a call into Panasonic to get an exchange and they say that someone will call me back by Wednesday.

Has anyone had any problems getting a new set in a situation like this? I don't think this is repairable and even if it was, I would be worried about latent damage.

Yeah, that definitely looks like some shipping damage. Sorry to hear about it, but I would definitely request a replacement set as soon as possible. Outside of that issue, how is your screen uniformity, in particular banding and clouding?

-Hawkmoon
post #54 of 178 Old 06-15-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTV69 View Post
Are they going to release this set at any US retailers (Best Buy, etc.) any time soon? I'd love to see it in person.
I am sure they will, looks to be very, very select few dealer though........
post #55 of 178 Old 06-18-2014, 08:33 AM

It took a while, but Panasonic has agreed to send a new TV.

BTW, it turns out that the screen was actually cracked down from the top about 4 inches. That's where the light is bleeding through. It looks like someone laid the box flat and tried to lift it up by one end or else they used a two-wheeled dolly from the side. Either way, they flexed the screen and it cracked.

Of course now they're sending the replacement set via the same carrier. What's to stop this from happening again?
post #56 of 178 Old 06-18-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Good to hear you're getting a replacement and hopefully the people who will handle this set won't be morons like the other employees.

When you say it took a while do you mean Panasonic was trying to give you the shim sham? If so, that is ridiculous seeing as THEY sold it and THEY chose who to ship it with. If Panasonic doesn't want to deal with this stuff then they should get their product into stores instead of this current direct order crap.

ROB
post #57 of 178 Old 06-19-2014, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is Panasonic support it through DP 1.2 ?
screen Panasonic have special update ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uoD...tu.be&t=59m15s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uoD...tu.be&t=59m15s

AMD FreeSync / Adaptive Sync Benefits

Quote:
(59:15) Huddy discussed the differences, as he sees it, between NVIDIA's G-Sync technology and the AMD option called FreeSync but now officially called Adaptive Sync as part of the DisplayPort 1.2a standard. Beside the obvious difference of added hardware and licensing costs, Adaptive Sync is apparently going to be easier to implement as the maximum and minimum frequencies are actually negotiated by the display and the graphics card when the monitor is plugged in. G-Sync requires a white list in the NVIDIA driver to work today and as long as NVIDIA keeps that list updated, the impact on gamers buying panels should be minimal. But with DP 1.2a and properly implemented Adaptive Sync monitors, once a driver supports the negotiation it doesn't require knowledge about the specific model beforehand.

Last edited by dfs88801; 06-19-2014 at 10:37 PM.
post #58 of 178 Old 06-21-2014, 05:26 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
It took a while, but Panasonic has agreed to send a new TV. BTW, it turns out that the screen was actually cracked down from the top about 4 inches. That's where the light is bleeding through. It looks like someone laid the box flat and tried to lift it up by one end or else they used a two-wheeled dolly from the side. Either way, they flexed the screen and it cracked. Of course now they're sending the replacement set via the same carrier. What's to stop this from happening again?
Just make sure to thoroughly inspect this replacement TV then power it up and check the screen before letting the driver leave.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #59 of 178 Old 06-22-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, the banding on my set ended up being worse than I originally saw. Watching the World Cup is what did it in. With camera moving swiftly left and right and a nice green field of grass the banding was just way too apparent. My wife even commented on it and she actually saw another area of the screen that had some banding that I did not notice. I also was running some of my PC games at 4k and some of them had lot's of greys and the banding was very apparent here as well.

So as with last year's model, this years model is also plagued with banding issues. My wife pretty much said enough with Panasonic as this is our 3rd set from them (2 from last year). So I arranged the return with Panasonic today. Seems it will take a while for them to process and have a delivery company pick it up.

The sad thing is that Panasonic is the only big manufacturer that is willing put a display port on their set's and if you are PC gamer and have the power to drive 4k/60fps the Panasonic seems the only option for big screen's. So at this time, I just plan to use my Sony 4k for gaming and wait till next year and hope that next generation Graphics Cards have HDMI 2.0.

-Hawkmoon
post #60 of 178 Old 06-22-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Unfortunately, the banding on my set ended up being worse than I originally saw. Watching the World Cup is what did it in. With camera moving swiftly left and right and a nice green field of grass the banding was just way too apparent. My wife even commented on it and she actually saw another area of the screen that had some banding that I did not notice. I also was running some of my PC games at 4k and some of them had lot's of greys and the banding was very apparent here as well.

So as with last year's model, this years model is also plagued with banding issues. My wife pretty much said enough with Panasonic as this is our 3rd set from them (2 from last year). So I arranged the return with Panasonic today. Seems it will take a while for them to process and have a delivery company pick it up.

The sad thing is that Panasonic is the only big manufacturer that is willing put a display port on their set's and if you are PC gamer and have the power to drive 4k/60fps the Panasonic seems the only option for big screen's. So at this time, I just plan to use my Sony 4k for gaming and wait till next year and hope that next generation Graphics Cards have HDMI 2.0.
Damn that's unfortunate Hawkmoon, I was happy for you with your initial impression. Seems like LCD's can never perfect this issue with banding. I was going to ask you to post some pictures showing the World Cup as I would love to see how it looks on this panel, I know pictures don't do justice but it gives you an idea. I guess it must be that bad for you to return it. Your wife must love you buying 4k sets left and right.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page