Official Panasonic TC-58AX800U & TC-65AX800U 4k Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 524 Old 06-22-2014, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Damn that's unfortunate Hawkmoon, I was happy for you with your initial impression. Seems like LCD's can never perfect this issue with banding. I was going to ask you to post some pictures showing the World Cup as I would love to see how it looks on this panel, I know pictures don't do justice but it gives you an idea. I guess it must be that bad for you to return it. Your wife must love you buying 4k sets left and right.
Yeah, it is very unfortunate. I really thought I had a good panel until I watched the World Cup, but I also did not have a lot of time with the set, I am sure I would of found the banding issues as I used it more with the PC. Two days ago or so, I was setting up more of my games with the 4k resolution and I was seeing the banding even more. In one game where I was in a town, there were a lot of grey building and as I panned the camera I could see how the grey color on the building would change from one tone to the other as I panned pass the areas with the bands.

World Cup did look fantastic on the set, but seeing the banding was just too much. At one point I tried to convince myself that it was not that bad, but when my wife started to see it too I knew it was bad. The thing is, I have had several Sony sets and have not had banding that was bad enough to send it back. I currently have a Sony 900a 4k, Sony 65" 850 and a Xbr 55"929 and while they all have some banding, none of them have enough issues where I would get rid of them because I see it and it impacts my enjoyment of using the sets.

My wife has pretty much given up and even if the AX900 is outstanding, I doubt she is going to give me a green light to get that and I am not sure if I want to give them another try. At this point, I am just going to wait until the next generation of Graphics Cards and hope they have HDMI 2.0 and use them on my Sony 4k or perhaps a future Sony 4k for my gaming room (950b perhaps).

-Hawkmoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 524 Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After getting the runaround from Panasonic for 11 days now and still unable to get them to ship me a replacement set, I decided to return this set, cancel my order and buy another TV. My only other option was wait until they finally got me a new set, which would have been more than 30 days after my order date (which would put me out of the return window) and hope that the next one was problem free.

Panasonic, if you're reading this, your customer return *process* sucks. Your customer service people read their scripts fine, but they can't really do anything and the process takes waaaaaaaaay too long. If this happened with a TV from amazon.com, I'd be watching my replacement TV by now.
post #63 of 524 Old 06-23-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Sorry to hear about that run around bresna. Hopefully your next TV will not have issues or if it doesn't you won't have to deal with this type of ridiculous junk.

ROB
post #64 of 524 Old 06-23-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by mo949

There was a good manufacturing discussion in the es8000 thread on why it would affect the 65 inch size more/differently than the other sizes. One of the more knowledgeable people about the manufacturing process indicated that the bands had to do with 'splices' (this may be the wrong word) in one of the layers of the screen. The analogy was imagine having fabric come in a roll that's just wide enough to make a 55" screen. On the 55's you wouldn't see problems because it was one nice piece. On the 65 they had to make a few 'cuts' and 'splices' in the process and I believe there was an adhesive involved. Something about that difference made the 65's more prone to it. A search of these forums for 65 inch sony's and samsungs along with their pictures will show you everything I've said.

Really? Oh, snap. My next TV was going to be 65-incher but if 65-inchers are prone to banding compared to other sizes, I may have to reconsider my size choice.
Yes its a real bummer. Some people seem not to notice them though. I'm plagued and can see them easily and even when i finally went plasma to avoid them I can see phosphor trailing on the plasma ; still wouldn't go back to the banding though.
post #65 of 524 Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
Of course now they're sending the replacement set via the same carrier. What's to stop this from happening again?
Nothing, but lightning usually does not strike twice in the same place.....
post #66 of 524 Old 06-24-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Nothing, but lightning usually does not strike twice in the same place.....
I cancelled my order. They were taking so long to get me a replacement that it was going to arrive more than 30 days after my original order, which is their limit for returning the TV for a full refund. My fear was that I would get in this second TV, have problems and my only recourse would be a repair visit. I didn't want to chance this with a new TV model.
post #67 of 524 Old 06-25-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Dear Panasonic,
If you want to sell these you need to get them into stores like Amazon and BestBuy. My TV was supposed to come today. You said the truck freight company would call me. Well imagine my surprise when I went to do some laundry yesterday to find a FedEx notice on my laundry room door saying they needed my signature and I had to be home. Well I was home all day. Apparently the driver either didn't bother to knock or was too stupid to tell the large front door from the small padlocked laundry room door and knocked there. Oh and the notice said it was the second attempt well I was home all day Monday too and nobody showed up. So I stayed home all day today waiting for my TV...but nobody showed up for the "third" attempt it said would happen on the notice. So track the shipment with FedEx you say? Well fine but all I have is a tracking number for a company called "Pilot" but they obviously turned it over to FedEx not wanting to go 60 miles out of their usual delivery area. So now I'll have to call you see if you can find out what FedEx has done with it, meantime every day the delivery people have it in some truck is another day it risks getting damaged. This is a crazy way to handle shipping a $3,300 item.
post #68 of 524 Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

It is weird to hear these horrid stories of Panasonic's service. Last year, when I first reported issues with the WT600 4k set, Panasonic at first was amazing, they wanted to take care of it themselves and all, but I had already made arrangements with best buy for the exchange. When I got my second set and it had the same banding issues, I contacted Panasonic and they basically just ignored me, not returning calls or emails.

As you know, I arranged a return for refund on my new AX800 and out of the blue today, I get a phone call from a Panasonic Tech asking about the banding and that they want to have me try another one. They were talking about actually driving it themselves from their San Diego, CA facility to me. They want to first look at my set and give me a new one. They also thought I was closer to them than they though and when I informed them I am about 300 miles away from San Diego, they said they would see what they can do. The tech said they want to see mine to see if the banding is similar to the ones in their labs and if my banding is worse that they want me to have one that has a lot less banding. Sounds like they are admitting the banding issues, but it also sounds like all other LCD's that the banding should not be as bad as I have on my set.

The funny part is I brought up the issues with last years set and he cut me off saying they were well aware of the "4 line" banding that every set from last years version had. I had to email them my address since they thought I was 150 miles closer, so I will let you all know what happens in the next 24-48 hours.

-Hawkmoon
post #69 of 524 Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post
Dear Panasonic,
If you want to sell these you need to get them into stores like Amazon and BestBuy. My TV was supposed to come today. You said the truck freight company would call me. Well imagine my surprise when I went to do some laundry yesterday to find a FedEx notice on my laundry room door saying they needed my signature and I had to be home. Well I was home all day. Apparently the driver either didn't bother to knock or was too stupid to tell the large front door from the small padlocked laundry room door and knocked there. Oh and the notice said it was the second attempt well I was home all day Monday too and nobody showed up. So I stayed home all day today waiting for my TV...but nobody showed up for the "third" attempt it said would happen on the notice. So track the shipment with FedEx you say? Well fine but all I have is a tracking number for a company called "Pilot" but they obviously turned it over to FedEx not wanting to go 60 miles out of their usual delivery area. So now I'll have to call you see if you can find out what FedEx has done with it, meantime every day the delivery people have it in some truck is another day it risks getting damaged. This is a crazy way to handle shipping a $3,300 item.
I was told by Panasonic that I would get a call from the shipping company too. And like you, I NEVER got a call from anyone. The TV just showed up one day. Luckily, I called the shipping company earlier that day and found out, almost by accident, that it was on a truck.

Panasonic also promised to call me several times during my attempts to return the set. They never called. Not once. Now I'm waiting for the shipping company to call and arrange the pickup of their damaged TV. No call, three days later. Now I'm going to have to call them, get put on hold for hours and hope that they pick it up. It's not fun having this huge box in my hallway (and no refunded money) as I wait to go and buy a 4K TV from one of Panasonic's competitor's.
post #70 of 524 Old 06-26-2014, 02:32 PM

Well it seems the fedex driver saw a package sitting on my porch and so didn't bother to knock thinking I wasn't home (I'm remodeling so it was out until I was ready for it)...had to talk with a supervisor to get this info (the first person insisted it was my fault and wanted me to drive a 120mile round trip to pick it up). Then it seems paypal for some reason reverted to my old phone number which explains the lack of calls (I'm guessing it got restored from a backup, Bank of America did that to me once, reverted to a really out of date address). So anyway the driver is supposed to call me tomorrow so I can meet her to avoid any further mix-ups. I hope it's still in good condition. My new microwave convection oven managed to get here with cosmetic damage, wasn't worth the hassle of returning since it's on the back, still you'd think these companies would know by now they need to foam or bubble wrap things and double or even triple box them as the shipping companies don't care (and if you have problems they just say the package has to be able to withstand a 4' drop).

Still it would help a lot if Panasonic would put these in stores, I assume the 30 day return/exchange starts from delivery as it's been over 2 weeks since I ordered it already. I'm guessing part of the problem is the production is low, mine shipped straight from LAX airport, probably shortly after arriving there from wherever they make them.

Well now I've got to install my wall mount...heat wave starting soon like to get this done while it's still cool (is it really almost the 4th of July already?).
post #71 of 524 Old 06-29-2014, 06:25 PM

First Impressions:
Wow, this is neat, love Windows 7 at 4K. I had to set the font size to 180% of normal to read things, but with this amount of screen real-estate it's no problem. Text quality beats my old Sony cfl 40" 1080p by 500%. The TV looks good though I've only tried a few things in daylight so far and I'm busy fiddling with settings and stuff. As you might expect going from a 40" to 58" I can see more problems with the quality on old videos (nothing to do with up conversion just limits of the original recordings) I found upping the sharpness setting helped a lot on a TV show I was watching (from a DVD). I'll try it with some Blu-ray stuff later.
No banding or flash lighting etc. so far, but I've only used it in the daytime...I'll check it out in the dark with some letter boxed stuff. The stuck pixel I thought I saw was just a bit of dust.

Voice sound seems fine, it punches right over my air conditioner. I'm not really one to ask about music quality I can't really judge that with my "tin ears". I may eventually hook it up to some speakers, but for now it is as good as or better than than the Sony sound wise.

Edit: just to be clear I'm hooked up to the computer via displayport and 4k@60Hz started right up. I did have to restart Civ5 the first time, and then find a solution to make the fonts bigger in Civ5 (found the solution at Civfanatics) as I couldn't read them unless I got about 2' closer to the TV than I wanted. I'm going to install a second 770 card tonight or tomorrow and try some other games that will tax the video a bit more. I haven't hooked up my PS4 yet, do that in a few days.

The only installation issue was I had to pull the cord keeper for the power cord off the back of the TV in order for the wall mount brackets to fit (they put it right smack in between the screw holes), a very minor issue. The box the TV came in had some pretty big holes and some of the Styrofoam was broken but the TV was unblemished and works fine. Setup was easy I have no off air TV and it was smart enough not to try to search for non-existent channels. It hooked up to my wireless router in seconds and I could use it to browse the web if I wanted.
rlindo likes this.

Last edited by Lostonmountain; 06-29-2014 at 06:35 PM.
post #72 of 524 Old 06-30-2014, 07:42 AM

No banding while watching Stark Trek Voyager with all lights off, in space scenes the space black background and letter box bars were seamless the only way to tell the difference was the lack of stars (after adjusting backlight for night viewing). I'll try a bluray movie tonight but in a grey scale screen I saw no banding or other problems so I expect it to be fine. By default the letterbox diming is on and I left it on. The only time I've seen banding was an old McGyver episode and the problem was the source not the TV.

I ran the software update it took over 1/2 an hour and you can't use the TV for anything else so do this when you don't want to watch TV.

For some reason my media player is defaulting to 1080i and has no option to set 1080p maybe I just never noticed this before (I'm not actually using it for bluray sources right now) so I'll try updating the software see if this fixes this (I'm playing bluray through the computer at the moment but that's about to change).

When I brought my computer out of sleep the mouse cursor was invisible. I see this is a problem for some people I turned off the hide cursor while typing and so far that works, I read using mouse trails can also solve this but hopefully I won't need to use that. I also had this problem when switching from Civ5 to the desktop sometimes but hitting alt-tab twice fixed it...hopefully that will also stop too.
rlindo likes this.
post #73 of 524 Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Lostonmountain,

Thanks for the feedback and it's nice to ehar you were able to finally get the TV and not have to deal more with all that FedEx drama.

Did you check it out in the dark to see if there is any major clouding?

ROB
post #74 of 524 Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 AM

rlindo -- see above post, we posted about the same time ...I'll do more testing tonight but so far I love it and no problems with banding or clouding (in grey scale I noticed a tiny bit of clouding in the extreme upper left but can't see it when watching the Star Trek or anything else, maybe it was just my imagination ).
post #75 of 524 Old 06-30-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

haha, yes we were posting at the same time.

Great to hear about your set! I am very happy your set seems to be issue free especially given the frustration you were dealing with before.

I am so up in the air of what my next set will be for my bedroom. It'll be used for xbox 360 gaming, computer use and gaming and watching certain TV shows in HD (via blur-ray or otherwise) and no movie use since I have a dedicated projector based home theatre for that.

I was all set on the AX800 until I started to see more user reports about the banding and other issues. I then decided maybe I'll just go for an OLED but I don't like the idea of the curve and the dying sub pixels owners are experiencing and the potential burn-in issue. Then I decided maybe the Sony 900B but I don't like the idea of paying an extra grand over this AX800 for what I'd think should be similar overall performance and the speakers it comes with really aren't a big need for me and out of principle I don't like that Sony doesn't include a 10 point greyscale and CMS in their high end displays regardless of how accurate they may be out of the box. Now with your report I'm back to thinking maybe I'll go for the AX800 since it is the cheapest of the choices I am down to and I also like that it has that 4 pixel 1080p mode which I think could be better for xbox gaming than the TV scaling to 4k and I like that the gaming mode is just a setting rather than a whole new picture mode.

For me, potential banding isn't a huge issue as long as it isn't thick and dark jailbar type stuff since my current LCD in my bedroom has banding and it isn't all that bothersome to me. My bigger concern is clouding that is visible in any dark scene.

Like you, if I go for the AX800 it'll be the 58" version. Others here that have reported the issues have had the 65" so maybe that post talking about banding being worse on 65"+ sets is indeed true.

Please keep feeding us your impressions the more you use it.

ROB
post #76 of 524 Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 AM

I was also wondering about the 58" vs 65". I settled on the panny mainly because I use it as a computer monitor and right now it's the only big monitor that will handle 4k@60Hz. I just can't believe how much better the desktop looks than my old Sony, I thought I needed glasses turns out I just needed a better monitor (and the Sony was a pretty good $700 set back in it's day...for a cfl). At about 4' from the set 58" is certainly the biggest I'd go even if I could fit a 65" I think it would be overkill (not to mention $1000 more) also I just managed to install this set myself I doubt I could have gotten the 65" upstairs, I watch a lot of old SD stuff so going bigger is not always better.

With all that desktop room and text clarity, I think maybe I'll start doing some software development again should be really fun. I'm going to see if I can find the time to set up my second video card today and play a bit with Kerbal Space Program, that should be fun at 4k. Dang...have to go to the store...I don't want to be parted from my new toy...I mean professional monitor.

I tried playing with the small touch pad remote, didn't like it much but only tried it briefly. I've programmed my old IR universal remote with the new codes and am glad the Panny still works with IR remotes (I don't like Logitech remotes but they seem to be the only game in town if you need Bluetooth). The larger IR remote that comes with the TV seems nice enough and it does have a back light, but I prefer my Universal RF20 since I'm used to it. Mostly all I do is on/off change input and sound level (once I get the settings to my liking, I bought the Disney WOW disc so I'll play with that a bit).
post #77 of 524 Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you always 4 feet from the screen? If not, I am curious how the desktop looks from about 8 feet back. That's the distance I am right now form my 46"Samsung and with text magnified to I think 125% it is nice. I figure with a 4k desktop I'd have to go 200%.

ROB
post #78 of 524 Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 PM

Just a heads up to those of you who may have to deal with Panasonic's "customer service" some day - their cracked TV is still sitting in my front hallway and they still have my credit card charged. This situation passed ridiculous about two weeks ago. They constantly tell me that they will call me and they have not called me a single time yet.

Their last E-mail with an RMA # (finally!!) included a note that I would be receiving an e-mailed shipping label "within 48 hours". After calling them (again), I was finally put in touch with someone who tells me that I won't be getting this E-mail and that I have to wait for the shipping company to call me to arrange the pick up. Yeah, the same shipping company that never called me to arrange the delivery.

This has turned out to be one of the my worst customer service interactions ever.
post #79 of 524 Old 06-30-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
haha, yes we were posting at the same time.

Great to hear about your set! I am very happy your set seems to be issue free especially given the frustration you were dealing with before.

I am so up in the air of what my next set will be for my bedroom. It'll be used for xbox 360 gaming, computer use and gaming and watching certain TV shows in HD (via blur-ray or otherwise) and no movie use since I have a dedicated projector based home theatre for that.

I was all set on the AX800 until I started to see more user reports about the banding and other issues. I then decided maybe I'll just go for an OLED but I don't like the idea of the curve and the dying sub pixels owners are experiencing and the potential burn-in issue. Then I decided maybe the Sony 900B but I don't like the idea of paying an extra grand over this AX800 for what I'd think should be similar overall performance and the speakers it comes with really aren't a big need for me and out of principle I don't like that Sony doesn't include a 10 point greyscale and CMS in their high end displays regardless of how accurate they may be out of the box. Now with your report I'm back to thinking maybe I'll go for the AX800 since it is the cheapest of the choices I am down to and I also like that it has that 4 pixel 1080p mode which I think could be better for xbox gaming than the TV scaling to 4k and I like that the gaming mode is just a setting rather than a whole new picture mode.

For me, potential banding isn't a huge issue as long as it isn't thick and dark jailbar type stuff since my current LCD in my bedroom has banding and it isn't all that bothersome to me. My bigger concern is clouding that is visible in any dark scene.

Like you, if I go for the AX800 it'll be the 58" version. Others here that have reported the issues have had the 65" so maybe that post talking about banding being worse on 65"+ sets is indeed true.

Please keep feeding us your impressions the more you use it.
If you are wanting it to use with a computer for desktop use and/or gaming, this is your only option in these sizes. The Sony's are great 4k sets, I have a 900a 65", but they only have HDMI while the Panasonic has Display Port which will give you 4k @60hz/60fps in games and other uses. So, your decision should come down to if you need 4k @ 60hz/60fps for computer use or not. If you don't then any of the Sony 4k's are really good sets.

-Hawkmoon
post #80 of 524 Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Are you always 4 feet from the screen? If not, I am curious how the desktop looks from about 8 feet back. That's the distance I am right now form my 46"Samsung and with text magnified to I think 125% it is nice. I figure with a 4k desktop I'd have to go 200%.
The farthest I can put it is just over 6' which I've done now. I can still read the desktop quite nicely at 180%...so depending on your eyes I'd say you are about right you might get away with a little less than 200%. At 180% there is still more room than I know what to do with. I'm something of an amateur Victorian era historian and I was just looking through my collection of old photos, wow they look fantastic on this monitor, so big and the details I can make out now without squinting are really amazing even from 6'..
post #81 of 524 Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 AM

Ok, I just watched "Darness Falls" a horror movie from a ripped Blu-ray (with the great Emma Caulfield). This movie as you might guess has a lot of dark/night scenes it also has some brightly lit scenes and a few very high contrast bits (like when we see the boy sitting in a brightly lit bathroom, we look through the door which is a small part of the image, the rest is night black except we see the bad-gal hanging from a corner of the ceiling). This movie is horizontally letter boxed.
The sound was quite good too, I recently watched it on the Sony with the air-conditioner off but now I had it running full blast and was still able to make out background sounds I was unaware of before.

As for the picture, it looked great. Detail in black areas was quite good, I had no inclination to turn up the blacks to grey in order to see details like I had to do with my old Sony. In all the dark scenes the letter boxes were nice and black. In brightly lit scenes if you look for it you can see a small part of the letter box in the upper left is a bit greyish what might be called flashlighting but it is very minor and you have to look for it and it's only a few inches and since it's only during bright scenes it's just about invisible. I'd say the letterbox diming feature seems to work very well though I need to turn it off and see if it really makes a difference. The high contrast scene mentioned looked fantastic. In all after reading some of the horror stories I was a little worried, but am very pleased and happy now.

BTW the mouse problem I mentioned earlier has not come back since I turned off the 'hide mouse cursor while typing text' feature (note that it was disappearing when there were no text boxes) either when waking the computer or when switching in and out of Civ5. I did have a little trouble convincing XBMC to play sound to the Panasonic but finally found a combination of settings that works (note windows sound says the sound is Panasonic "HDMI" output, but it is going though the display port just fine). One interesting thing is I've accidently turned the Panny off a couple of times and when I turned it back on and the sound was still on, while DP has a feature to recognize when a monitor is turned off, thankfully it doesn't seem to be working, this was an annoyance with the Sony on the HDMI port.
post #82 of 524 Old 07-01-2014, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
The farthest I can put it is just over 6' which I've done now. I can still read the desktop quite nicely at 180%...so depending on your eyes I'd say you are about right you might get away with a little less than 200%. At 180% there is still more room than I know what to do with. I'm something of an amateur Victorian era historian and I was just looking through my collection of old photos, wow they look fantastic on this monitor, so big and the details I can make out now without squinting are really amazing even from 6'..
I'm wondering how do you manage to work from 4ft ? Can you explain how your room is set up? Do you have a huge desk or something? It's not like you're trying to get some work done by keeping a keyboard on a lap sitting on sofa is it? What is the width of your desk?

I was thinking 55 is the max you can go for if want to do work, I would prefer the EU version of 50 though.

Also did you manage to run some more demanding games than civ5?
post #83 of 524 Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Hawk and Lost for your recent comments. I think this is the set I am going to go with of the three I am deciding between because I like that it is the cheapest and I can go oled in a couple years when the tech is a bit more mature and hopefully dying subpixels, curve and easy (apparently) burn-in will all be eliminated. I also really like the display port so I don't have to go spring for a hdmi 2.0 graphics card later this year and could instead just go get another Geforce 780 to sli for 4k gaming then.

Now I just need Panasonic Canada to get these sets out into more stores. I don't want to order directly from them and I want it to be at a store I can easily go pick it up from. To hell with trusting these shipping companies.
Lostonmountain likes this.

ROB
post #84 of 524 Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidexterous View Post
I'm wondering how do you manage to work from 4ft ? Can you explain how your room is set up? Do you have a huge desk or something? It's not like you're trying to get some work done by keeping a keyboard on a lap sitting on sofa is it? What is the width of your desk?

I was thinking 55 is the max you can go for if want to do work, I would prefer the EU version of 50 though.

Also did you manage to run some more demanding games than civ5?
I have back trouble so I have to do all my computer stuff while lying down in bed on the floor (for hardness). I have the TV mounted on the wall beside the bed on an articulating mount that lets me push it up against the wall or come out 2'. I then angle it about 45deg and am my self at that angle so am facing it directly. At the 4' distance I can read about 1/3-1/2 of the screen without having to move my eyes any more than when reading a book, so if I'm reading a lot I just set the window to a comfortable width (or more like the windows as I tend to switch between things a lot). The 58" set was the largest I could go without actually having it stick over the edge of my bed where it would get bumped by the dogs etc.

No haven't had time yet to SLI my cards. Hopefully today. I'm not sure it will work, I have a very good quality 850 watt power supply but two of these monsters may be a bit too much for it to handle (it has a very large output on it's primary rail though so I figured I'd try first and get a new PS only if it won't handle it). I'm also planning on replacing my old 256MB SSD with a new (and even faster) 1GB at the same time, just have to find the time and energy to do all this and a few other minor things (like adding a couple more USB 3 connections directly to motherboard...can't have too many of those). BTW Civ5 at 4k-60 still runs maxed out quality wise just fine with a single 4GB 770 card doesn't even increase the temp vs. 1080. I built my system to minimize bottle necks a few years ago and other that upgrading the graphics card it handles itself very well I slightly overclock at 3.6GHz since it runs so cool (but unfortunately rather loud with all the fans I can squeeze in the old dual Xeon tower case I use) but memory (16GB) motherboard etc. were all chosen to maximize performance within budget and so far it's paid off, only thing I probably should have done is start with a 1000watt or larger power supply oh well. I built my first PC in 1988 and used to sell PC clones so I have a pretty good idea where the bottle necks occur (and hint SSD helps a lot with one of the major ones ).

I'm so addicted to civ5 at 4k that my motivation for putting in that second card has fallen a bit, but since it's just sitting here I really need to do it...now where did I put my screwdriver?

Last edited by Lostonmountain; 07-02-2014 at 01:17 AM.
post #85 of 524 Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks Hawk and Lost for your recent comments. I think this is the set I am going to go with of the three I am deciding between because I like that it is the cheapest and I can go oled in a couple years when the tech is a bit more mature and hopefully dying subpixels, curve and easy (apparently) burn-in will all be eliminated. I also really like the display port so I don't have to go spring for a hdmi 2.0 graphics card later this year and could instead just go get another Geforce 780 to sli for 4k gaming then.

Now I just need Panasonic Canada to get these sets out into more stores. I don't want to order directly from them and I want it to be at a store I can easily go pick it up from. To hell with trusting these shipping companies.
If you are not in a huge hurry then I think it's a very good idea to get one from a store, or maybe Panasonic will relent and let Amazon sell them at least (where you know you can do a no hassle return or exchange if needed). Good luck.
post #86 of 524 Old 07-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 3044
I was feeling frustrated by the relatively uneven brightness of the screen on the AX800U review unit in my studio. I decided to see if lightly rubbing the screen with a soft cloth would help. I was ssurprised to see how much that simple act improved the screen on the review unit. It made an immediate and obvious improvement in screen uniformity.
rlindo likes this.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #87 of 524 Old 07-02-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I was feeling frustrated by the relatively uneven brightness of the screen on the AX800U review unit in my studio. I decided to see if lightly rubbing the screen with a soft cloth would help. I was ssurprised to see how much that simple act improved the screen on the review unit. It made an immediate and obvious improvement in screen uniformity.
Other than removing dust or some manufacturing residue is this supposed to do something? My unit doesn't show any problem with uniformity, in fact it's quite good in that respect, equally bright (or dim) across the screen. I could see if there was something on parts of the screen that were diffusing/reflecting the light this could help...I usually wait until the dust specs get so big it drives me to distraction . Interesting tip as one doesn't tend to think of wiping down a brand new screen.

I imagine the review units might get subject to a bit more stress and dirt and maybe exposed to a bit more outgassing (from other new equipment) in various testing facilities than those destined for home use, still one would think Panny would clean them up/tune them up between reviews.

On a related issue I used to spray a bit of rubbing alcohol on my micro-fiber cleaning cloth when cleaning my old TV it worked well to get rid of those stuck on spots. I'm a little reluctant to try this on my new Panny incase the screen has some kind of coating that might be damaged by the alcohol any opinions one way or the other? I like using alcohol as a glass cleaner it evaporates fast and doesn't streak nearly as much as water but it can damage certain finishes (like shellac not that there is any shellac on the TV just an example)..
post #88 of 524 Old 07-02-2014, 01:00 AM

Well the disappearing mouse cursor issue came back. I forgot to put the computer to sleep so it was just running a few hours with the TV off when I turned it on no mouse cursor, so using the keyboard I went into the mouse settings and switched on mouse trails and boom the cursor came back...but then I switched to Civ5 and the cursor disappeared, I Alt-Tabbed back to desktop and lost all input and had to hit the reset button. I then started Civ5 but no cursor until I turned off the mouse trails feature so that feature doesn't work with Civ5 (and some other games I've read). Next time this happens I'll try turning trails on/off see if that restores than keeps the cursor. If I can figure out exactly what condition(s) is/are causing this maybe I can find a solution or better work around. Though periodically my computer will stop going to sleep and I have to reset, and I've yet to ever find what causes this (and I did a lot tracing in the logs etc.) so it may end up being one of those things that happens occasionally like the sleep thing. I still recommend turning off the hide mouse cursor during text input as the problem is a lot less frequent now. I don't think it has anything to with my mouse (a Razer, but used generically I don't have the Razer software installed), it only started after going to 4K, be interesting to see if anyone else out there with a 770 card has a similar problem (mine is a Gigabyte Windforce 4GB OC version...well soon to be two of 'em, nice card, really big but runs quite cool and fast).

One other odd thing three of the icons for short cuts stopped working, I tried restoring them to the originals but no go so I just changed them to other icons that do work. It may have to do with their size or bit depth or ? wasn't worth looking into for just three (all three were games downloaded from Stream).

Otherwise no issues still, I love this monitor/TV and now I wish I could have a second one downstairs in the kitchen (the 50" European version would maybe fit, just need another unexpected influx of $$$ ). Couldn't get to the SLI today hopefully tomorrow but first I have to clip my poodle (I need to have another one of these sets out on the deck for that...let's face it I want one in every room).
post #89 of 524 Old 07-02-2014, 04:33 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 3044
Quote:
Other than removing dust or some manufacturing residue is this supposed to do something? My unit doesn't show any problem with uniformity, in fact it's quite good in that respect, equally bright (or dim) across the screen. I could see if there was something on parts of the screen that were diffusing/reflecting the light this could help...I usually wait until the dust specs get so big it drives me to distraction . Interesting tip as one doesn't tend to think of wiping down a brand new screen.

I imagine the review units might get subject to a bit more stress and dirt and maybe exposed to a bit more outgassing (from other new equipment) in various testing facilities than those destined for home use, still one would think Panny would clean them up/tune them up between reviews.

On a related issue I used to spray a bit of rubbing alcohol on my micro-fiber cleaning cloth when cleaning my old TV it worked well to get rid of those stuck on spots. I'm a little reluctant to try this on my new Panny incase the screen has some kind of coating that might be damaged by the alcohol any opinions one way or the other? I like using alcohol as a glass cleaner it evaporates fast and doesn't streak nearly as much as water but it can damage certain finishes (like shellac not that there is any shellac on the TV just an example)..
Yes, rubbing the screen helped with screen uniformity. If it's not an issue for you, that's great to hear. Now that I gave my screen a good rub, it's not an issue for me, either. Since some members had an issue as well, I'm sharing a tip that worked. I'm not talking about surface dirt, I'm talking about "clouding" i.e. non-uniform patches in the display itself.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #90 of 524 Old 07-02-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 84
So, just so I'm clear, is this the set that Panasonic showed at CES which was supposed to be as good or better than the Studio Master ZT60?? In fact, I thought they called the one displayed at CES a "Studio Master" LED.

Because from the sounds of things so far, it doesn't seem terribly impressive. I will admit however that most banding to me is not a huge issue because they are nice straight lines. The things that bother me are ASYMMETRICAL problems, like "blobs" and "clouds" and flashlighting and uneven backlight problems. I think banding for the most part is way overblown.

As for the retailers carrying this TV, I think Panasonic is just tired of having millions of dollars of inventory collecting dust and depreciating at retailers so they are taking a different route here and seeing what happens if they try a "buy direct" approach. If the early deliveries are any indication, it might turn out slightly disastrous to be shipping single panels all over creation without the protection typically afforded by a bunch of palletized sets reaching one distribution point (store). Although, plenty of independent *vendors* seem to have this method mastered (Cleveland A/V, for example).

Last edited by Playdrv4me; 07-02-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page