Official Panasonic TC-58AX800U & TC-65AX800U 4k Owners Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 173 Old 07-05-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidexterous View Post
Oh good one hawkmoon - wait no it's not good - more dilemma
Why are they doing this to me ? 4k for 3k$
Now it's soooo tempting to grab one of those... ax800 instead of waiting almost 3 more months for something mystified and @ unknown price

Some quotes:
"The Viera AX900 TV will have "as yet undisclosed picture quality and 'beyond smart' advances"

"The AX900 will be coming at the end of the summer and it will be what we are replacing our plasma business with.
"It has THX certification, local dimming, studio mastered colour... it is everything we had on plasma on an LED."

I wonder .... I've never owned a big plasma set therefore I have no idea and no expectations about the quality, not sure if I would even notice the level of blacks and what not that ax900 promises over ax800. The set I used before was 32 inch Samsung LED full hd.

I definitely don't care about the viewing angle - as I plan to sit about 6.5 foot away from the 58'' version when watching a movie and about 3.5 foot close when coding/browsing - and there's only me an my gf so we will be looking straight at the screen - i don't think at this setup the viewing angle would affect anything or would it?

Oh my .... 1st world problems

this 800$ off + the blu-ray promotion is only going to last few more days
I would at least wait for August for the Toshiba 65L9400U review. With 4K prices dropping so fast it will probably be the same price or less and it is FALD instead of edge-lit. Would not be surprised to see $2995 Black Friday or just a regular sale price of $2995. Also, Sharp has released their new 4K line in Japan so we see start seeing it and the Vizio P by the end of September.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 173 Old 07-05-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The thing is though I want 4k@60 so I understand that none of the ones you mention are going to give me that since only panny has DisplayPort. My laptop has a display port I intend to run the tv from that. If I were to go with any other tv I would have to wait for a do to hdmi converter which who knows when will be released. Good point about the prices dropping though and Black Friday.
post #123 of 173 Old 07-05-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
The thing is though I want 4k@60 so I understand that none of the ones you mention are going to give me that since only panny has DisplayPort. My laptop has a display port I intend to run the tv from that. If I were to go with any other tv I would have to wait for a do to hdmi converter which who knows when will be released. Good point about the prices dropping though and Black Friday.
Prices are always going to be cheaper in the future (well baring some economic calamity) so it's really just a matter of when the deal get's good enough for you to jump in. I had to get mine in June and I have no regrets, with my fat wallet rebate the price is the same as now, though no Blu-ray player, but I don't need an external Blu-ray I rip all my DVD/Bluray, but if you need or want one...well it's a good deal now no matter what happens in the future. I too have never owned a plasma (it is not practical to dim the room in daytime for one thing, I also like to keep my power usage as low as practical) and I have a hard time imagining the blacks being blacker, I can see details in the dark areas but with the black areas being black not having to turn them up to grey to get detail like I used too. And the edge lit does not seem to be a problem for me, my letter boxes are black. Even if I could have waited, well it would have meant months more suffering along with my old set and that would just have been sad.
post #124 of 173 Old 07-05-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post
Prices are always going to be cheaper in the future (well baring some economic calamity) so it's really just a matter of when the deal get's good enough for you to jump in. I had to get mine in June and I have no regrets, with my fat wallet rebate the price is the same as now, though no Blu-ray player, but I don't need an external Blu-ray I rip all my DVD/Bluray, but if you need or want one...well it's a good deal now no matter what happens in the future. I too have never owned a plasma (it is not practical to dim the room in daytime for one thing, I also like to keep my power usage as low as practical) and I have a hard time imagining the blacks being blacker, I can see details in the dark areas but with the black areas being black not having to turn them up to grey to get detail like I used too. And the edge lit does not seem to be a problem for me, my letter boxes are black. Even if I could have waited, well it would have meant months more suffering along with my old set and that would just have been sad.
Thanks for sharing about the black levels. Sounds like it's totally usable. I suppose my suffering exceeds yours as my old smart 32" full hd TV was stolen and I'm back to simplest LG 20" monitor. Not a day passes without me thinking how this small monitor sucks.

The good part is I don't watch any movies or tv shows anymore at all. Sort of having a break. Spend my time wiser for now. The plan is to binge big time when I get that big dream screen. The current situation does push my discipline right to the edge though

I just have to wait and see how much more can I take. I think it has been like 2 months already.
post #125 of 173 Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 AM

The problem of the disappearing mouse cursor has not happened since I installed the second video card. My guess is whatever routine was being called in the video driver that caused the problem is no longer being used I did not updated the driver the only change was installing the card. Anyone who thinks 4k is useless needs to use it on a computer, the difference is truly amazing, and the text quality reminds me of my old iPad, except on a 58" screen.
post #126 of 173 Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Make sure your laptop is capable of 4K60hz out it's display port. I thought mine would be, turns out only the 15" Late 2013 retina MacBook Pro is, my 13" is SOL for 60Hz.

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

post #127 of 173 Old 07-09-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Heard another rep for Panasonic state they are talking about the AX900 being made public and official sometime in mid August. A release following shortly after if not first part of September. Take it with a grain of salt, but it seems to go along with what others have been saying.
post #128 of 173 Old 07-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
Panasonic's Web-Site has both the 65" & 58" 4k AX800's on sale. They were previously listed at $500 Off, but now the 58" is $800 off and the 65" is $1000 off, plus you get a free Panasonic Blu ray player.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/viera...dTopNavId=nav1
The sale appears to be over and both the 58" and 65" are back to $500 off. I thought maybe those "sale" prices were permanent.
post #129 of 173 Old 07-11-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Make sure your laptop is capable of 4K60hz out it's display port. I thought mine would be, turns out only the 15" Late 2013 retina MacBook Pro is, my 13" is SOL for 60Hz.
Good point Spy!!. I THOUGHT I got that covered but just decided to double check and found out that my new tablet/laptop won't be quite there with UHD. For someone else's benefit here I'm talking about Surface Pro 3. So the processor on this thing is
intel i7 4650u with Intel hd 5000 GPU

According to Intel
U-Processors support 3200 x 2000 @60 Hz
H-Processors support 3840 x 2160 @60Hz (Ultra-HD)

So I will be bit short of uhd
I guess this is better than nothing and I will rely on my TV to upscale for now

And then later on assemble a HTPC box with more powerful proc and gpu when they finally come out - will be able to use hdmi 2 for that
post #130 of 173 Old 07-12-2014, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I posted this in the samsung 8550/9000 thread recently, but I figured I would post it here too, since I have a feeling people who own this TV will likely have it hooked it to an HTPC. So you can maybe learn from my experiences...

so, for anyone who wishes to use their 4K TV with an HTPC, I have done some extensive testing over the last few weeks with it.

It's been extremely frustrating, because I could never get the PQ or the motion handling (judder performance) to match my stand-alone cable box & blu-ray player. To top it off, there is literally no information on how to best optimize HTPC performance for 4K TVs. If you try to follow the current guides for 1080p sets, you will be very dissapointed with the performance.

Today I found the key to make it all work (and it sounds stupid simple, but it also somewhat defies logic). You have to run xbmc (or your favorite HTPC app) at native 4K resolution at 60 Hz for optimal video performance.

It defies logic, because for every other device, such as with receivers or oppos & the like, you are better off having the TV do all the upscaling, and disabling upscaling in the device, leaving the source content at it's native resolution. But this doesn't apply to HTPCs. I don't know why... I wish someone could come up with a technical explanation for it. But if you watch TV at 4K @ 60 Hz on your HTPC, the performance & PQ will be identical to a cable box. If you run it at 1080p or some other variant, you'll get bad judder, ghosting, and lower PQ.

Here's a thread I did on this subject in the HTPC section
Live TV PQ on my HTPC is inferior to PQ on my cable box

I don't think many other 8550/9000 owners are using a cablecard + hdhomerun setup for live TV like I am, but if you ever plan to, you'll find this info valuable.
post #131 of 173 Old 07-12-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I am using my AX800u strictly as a giant computer monitor for gaming. For that application alone, it is pretty damn impressive. 4k resolution at 60fps in the majority of games is pretty incredible on this set. Of course you do need a ton of horsepower to drive that resolution and to achieve that high of a frame rate. I also use my set for PS4/Xbox One and it does really good with this as well. I know Mark in the other thread will have a write up shortly on this set, but for computer use, gaming etc. this is a fantastic set. I also have my cable box routed through the Xbox One and a 3D Blu Ray player as well. I don't watch that much TV or movies on this set as I have the Sony 900a in our living room for movies/tv, but I did run it through it's paces on the Panasonic and I think the TV has a excellent image for movies/cable watching.

It would be nice if other manufactures would support Display Port to give potential buyers that intend to use it as a monitor as well as other uses more choices. HDMI 2.0 does not exist for any current GPU's as of yet, so the Panasonic is the only way to go for true 4k/60fps at 4:4:4.

-Hawkmoon
post #132 of 173 Old 07-12-2014, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Another price update guys! The 65" is NOW $1000.00 off Plus a FREE Blu Ray Player! Even a better deal than before! The 58" now is showing $800.00 off and a FREE Blu Ray player.

Here is the link

-Hawkmoon
post #133 of 173 Old 07-12-2014, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
I am using my AX800u strictly as a giant computer monitor for gaming. For that application alone, it is pretty damn impressive. 4k resolution at 60fps in the majority of games is pretty incredible on this set. Of course you do need a ton of horsepower to drive that resolution and to achieve that high of a frame rate. I also use my set for PS4/Xbox One and it does really good with this as well. I know Mark in the other thread will have a write up shortly on this set, but for computer use, gaming etc. this is a fantastic set. I also have my cable box routed through the Xbox One and a 3D Blu Ray player as well. I don't watch that much TV or movies on this set as I have the Sony 900a in our living room for movies/tv, but I did run it through it's paces on the Panasonic and I think the TV has a excellent image for movies/cable watching.

It would be nice if other manufactures would support Display Port to give potential buyers that intend to use it as a monitor as well as other uses more choices. HDMI 2.0 does not exist for any current GPU's as of yet, so the Panasonic is the only way to go for true 4k/60fps at 4:4:4.
For video at 4K you really don't need much horsepower. A discrete GPU definitely helps, but I'm on a geforce 750ti, $150, and low power. I don't game at all on my set, at least not yet. I imagine it's not worth even trying. But for optimal video performance on a 4K TV through an HTPC, you need to run at full 4K resoultion @ 60 Hz from my experience. Luckily kepler card users can do this on HDMI 1.4 cards. The drop in chroma isn't noticeable to me in video applications. On the desktop yes, particularly while reading text, but it's worth the compromise.

Since this set really caters to the HTPC crowd, I imagine there will be others who will be looking to get the most out of live TV & video performance.
post #134 of 173 Old 07-12-2014, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The AX800 cannot stream Netflix 4k it seems... Panasonic says they have no fix for the AX800 but says the AX900 will be able to stream Netflix 4k. Kinda sucks for current AX800 owners though who have one less 4k option in an already thin 4k content arena.

If the 55" & 65" AX900's have 128 zones why would the 85" only have a measly 32? Weird. With Vizio claiming 384 zones releasing their 65" & 120" Reference Series before this years end Panasonic & Sony etc. finally has the underdog nipping at their heels. I wish Vizio offered a 79 or 85 incher... Links provided below for your convenience.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/tel...lix-4k-1252105

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ax900-201403243688.htm

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.

Last edited by timc1475; 07-12-2014 at 11:23 PM.
post #135 of 173 Old 07-13-2014, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
The AX800 cannot stream Netflix 4k it seems... Panasonic says they have no fix for the AX800 but says the AX900 will be able to stream Netflix 4k. Kinda sucks for current AX800 owners though who have one less 4k option in an already thin 4k content arena.

If the 55" & 65" AX900's have 128 zones why would the 85" only have a measly 32? Weird. With Vizio claiming 384 zones releasing their 65" & 120" Reference Series before this years end Panasonic & Sony etc. finally has the underdog nipping at their heels. I wish Vizio offered a 79 or 85 incher... Links provided below for your convenience.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/tel...lix-4k-1252105

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ax900-201403243688.htm

That's old news slim Flat panal HD wrote article last mouth and just buy a new Panny Blu-ray player or just wait when the real 4k content comes out.
post #136 of 173 Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 2114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
That's old news slim Flat panal HD wrote article last mouth and just buy a new Panny Blu-ray player or just wait when the real 4k content comes out.
AFAIK the only apps that play Netflix 4K at the ones integrated into 4K TVs. The AX800U has 2K Netflix, same you'll find on connected Blu-ray players. I'd love to see a BDP with 4K Netflix capability.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com

Last edited by imagic; 07-13-2014 at 05:37 AM.
post #137 of 173 Old 07-13-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Another price update guys! The 65" is NOW $1000.00 off Plus a FREE Blu Ray Player! Even a better deal than before! The 58" now is showing $800.00 off and a FREE Blu Ray player.

Here is the link

Plus, for the rest of today, the coupon LED10 gives you an additional 10% off. Great deal.
post #138 of 173 Old 07-13-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
AFAIK the only apps that play Netflix 4K at the ones integrated into 4K TVs. The AX800U has 2K Netflix, same you'll find on connected Blu-ray players. I'd love to see a BDP with 4K Netflix capability.
Your sure Mark, I thought the new 460 and 700 surpose to have it, i could be wrong tho.
post #139 of 173 Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
Your sure Mark, I thought the new 460 and 700 surpose to have it, i could be wrong tho.
I'll check that out. I have a 460 in for review, I would be thrilled if that was a feature, but I can't find any mention of that. Are you sure it doesn't just upscale 2K Netflix?

post #140 of 173 Old 07-14-2014, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll check that out. I have a 460 in for review, I would be thrilled if that was a feature, but I can't find any mention of that. Are you sure it doesn't just upscale 2K Netflix?
Oh well.
post #141 of 173 Old 07-18-2014, 12:10 PM

I have no interest in Netflix 4k, but I wonder if you can't just feed it to the TV via a computer rather than trying from the TV itself, also I seem to remember reading that U.S. versions can run Netflix 4k just the EU versions that don't or is that wrong? I don't have enough bandwidth for HD let alone 4k (or what passes for 4k on Netflix very compressed from what I've read) so I can't test it. I'm still watching a lot of SD stuff and noticing details I never noticed before even on my 40" set...I figure this set should keep me happy for the next 10 years.
If there isn't an app for Netflix 4k for computers yet I'd think that's something that will come as I assume once they get more content Netflix will want to attract the HTPC using folks.
post #142 of 173 Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post
I have no interest in Netflix 4k, but I wonder if you can't just feed it to the TV via a computer rather than trying from the TV itself, also I seem to remember reading that U.S. versions can run Netflix 4k just the EU versions that don't or is that wrong? I don't have enough bandwidth for HD let alone 4k (or what passes for 4k on Netflix very compressed from what I've read) so I can't test it. I'm still watching a lot of SD stuff and noticing details I never noticed before even on my 40" set...I figure this set should keep me happy for the next 10 years.
If there isn't an app for Netflix 4k for computers yet I'd think that's something that will come as I assume once they get more content Netflix will want to attract the HTPC using folks.
Right now, the AX800U I am reviewing says "Coming Soon" when I try to launch the Netflix app.
Lostonmountain likes this.

post #143 of 173 Old 07-19-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Right now, the AX800U I am reviewing says "Coming Soon" when I try to launch the Netflix app.
Ah the old "real soon now" I think there are programs for the TRS-80 and Apple 1 that haven't come out yet .
post #144 of 173 Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 PM

Well I tried the Disney WOW disc. First off I couldn't get it to run on my computer's Blu-ray drive. This is the only Disney disc I have so maybe others wouldn't work either but VLC refused to even run it and XBMC tried to run it and locked up I don't have this problem with other discs. So anyway I ripped it. VLC still wouldn't run it, and XBMC tried but couldn't show the menu system. Finally I just ran the individual tests, though without sound.
So I ran all the calibrations. On the contrast and brightness settings I never could get the ideal or near ideal stars to be visible, though I was doing this in a dim not completely dark room. I did the advanced settings and used the blue filter to set the color values. The up shot is I can't see any difference between the new settings and the defaults when watching movies. I watched "Kingdom of Heaven" and it was beautiful, but than it was before the "calibration" too. This probably just means this set was pretty well adjusted from the factory and it isn't worth the trouble to fine tune it (if you are producing your own content it might be worth it). I'll try and see if I can do the same with my media player but I expect the same result as it already looks quite good.
post #145 of 173 Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
Plus, for the rest of today, the coupon LED10 gives you an additional 10% off. Great deal.
not working for me
post #146 of 173 Old 07-31-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
not working for me
As I said, it was only good for that day.

FWIW, the 58" is on sale for $2799 with a free bluray player and free shipping. If you have ebates, there's an additional 10% cash back. This deal expires tonight (7/31) at midnight.
post #147 of 173 Old 08-05-2014, 06:21 AM

They're making it very hard to hold off on re-ordering this 58" TV. It's now down to under $2400 with my discounts. Given the lack of people commenting on this TV, I am even more leery of attempting to order this again especially given how poorly they treated me the last time.

How is this TV working out as a TV and not a computer monitor? I am particularly worried about motion blur during NFL football games. Has anyone bought the 58" version and liked what they got?

Thanks.
post #148 of 173 Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Availability at BB?

I keep seeing references to these units being available through an exclusive agreement w BB. Has anyone actually found these units at BB? I can only find them at the Panasonic website.
post #149 of 173 Old 08-05-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotex View Post
I keep seeing references to these units being available through an exclusive agreement w BB. Has anyone actually found these units at BB? I can only find them at the Panasonic website.
I haven't even been able to confirm that Best Buy is even going to carry these TVs. They list them on their website but no one at the stores can verify anything about their availability.
post #150 of 173 Old 08-05-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
I haven't even been able to confirm that Best Buy is even going to carry these TVs. They list them on their website but no one at the stores can verify anything about their availability.
BB like everybody else is still waiting.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page