Official Panasonic TC-58AX800U & TC-65AX800U 4k Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 193 Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I keep seeing sooo many references to this "exclusive" that one would think that its a done deal and in place. I hope they don't do it as I want to support my local independent AV shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 193 Old 08-08-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I notice the price still dropping after while it should be below 2 thousands dollars for 58 inch.
post #153 of 193 Old 08-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post
I haven't even been able to confirm that Best Buy is even going to carry these TVs. They list them on their website but no one at the stores can verify anything about their availability.
The AX800 is listed on the in-store display card deal that shows the specs for the Panasonic lineup. I saw it (in front of the 2 Panasonic TV's on the wall) the other week when I was looking at the AS680U 55" and the sales guy said they could order the AX800.
RDHolmes likes this.
post #154 of 193 Old 08-09-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post
The AX800 is listed on the in-store display card deal that shows the specs for the Panasonic lineup. I saw it (in front of the 2 Panasonic TV's on the wall) the other week when I was looking at the AS680U 55" and the sales guy said they could order the AX800.
I saw the same thing, But I want to see the television first on display.
post #155 of 193 Old 08-09-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 61
For a TV that offers so many features, I'd be interested to know if any owner/users have any feature requests or suggestions regarding how things can be improved?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #156 of 193 Old 08-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
For a TV that offers so many features, I'd be interested to know if any owner/users have any feature requests or suggestions regarding how things can be improved?
Delivering one that doesn't have a cracked screen would be nice.
post #157 of 193 Old 08-09-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I wish they offered an alternative stand to place the TV on. The TV with the current stand tilts back a bit, it not terrible and does not impact viewing, it's just that I have speakers on the side from my AV and it just looks weird that at the base of the TV the speakers are lined up, but when you see the top (since the screen is tilted back) there is a big space. I could always Wall mount it, but I prefer to use a stand that does not make the TV tilt back.
WiFi-Spy likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #158 of 193 Old 08-10-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
I wish they offered an alternative stand to place the TV on. The TV with the current stand tilts back a bit, it not terrible and does not impact viewing, it's just that I have speakers on the side from my AV and it just looks weird that at the base of the TV the speakers are lined up, but when you see the top (since the screen is tilted back) there is a big space. I could always Wall mount it, but I prefer to use a stand that does not make the TV tilt back.
Didn't they tip it back to minimize reflections though?
post #159 of 193 Old 08-10-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I understand, all manufacturers have had re-design their TV's bases to comply with current European health and safety requirements...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 08-11-2014 at 01:18 AM.
post #160 of 193 Old 08-10-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What are the European standards trying to address? The TV falling on kids?
post #161 of 193 Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about picking up the 58' to replace my 54' VT25 I have in the living room. I'm going to put the plasma upstairs. I'm on the fence though with some of the personal reviews I've read. I'm also a little leery of dealing with Panasonic's customer service as opposed to Amazon. I think the price it right since it dropped down to $2299. Decisions, decisions....
post #162 of 193 Old 08-11-2014, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post
What are the European standards trying to address? The TV falling on kids?
Yes, exactly that. TV manufacturers are being reminded of the current safety regulations. Sufficed to say: "The bigger they are. The harder they fall"

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 08-11-2014 at 07:47 AM.
post #163 of 193 Old 08-11-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestorm007 View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about picking up the 58' to replace my 54' VT25 I have in the living room. I'm going to put the plasma upstairs. I'm on the fence though with some of the personal reviews I've read. I'm also a little leery of dealing with Panasonic's customer service as opposed to Amazon. I think the price it right since it dropped down to $2299. Decisions, decisions....
Welcome to AVS have you seen the television first. For me I would only buy one in a Brick or mortal stores 4k TV's are still new on the market, they have not go all the kinks out of them, that includes OLED too.
post #164 of 193 Old 08-11-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
Welcome to AVS have you seen the television first. For me I would only buy ones in a Brick or mortal stores 4k TV's are still new on the market, they have not go all the kinks out of them, that includes OLED too.
Hi Chise, and thanks!

I haven't seen it in person yet. It seems Panasonic are the only ones shipping the TV. I heard Best Buy might get them in. You're right though, I think I'll wait a little bit and see if and when BB gets them in to make a decision. At least, with a Plasma, I knew what I would be getting.
post #165 of 193 Old 08-11-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Chise, and thanks!

I haven't seen it in person yet. It seems Panasonic are the only ones shipping the TV. I heard Best Buy might get them in. You're right though, I think I'll wait a little bit and see if and when BB gets them in to make a decision. At least, with a Plasma, I knew what I would be getting.
For real you have a nice tv already,Don't be in no rush to buy 4k one, plus i have VT30 and Gt-25 Panny.
post #166 of 193 Old 08-12-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hello.
An italian owner of the AX800 reported that with the latest nvidia drivers (340.52) he was able to set his 750ti at 3840x2160@60hz in RGB mode on HDMI4. He also reports that he doesn't notice any loss in quality between 30hz and 60hz, which means this might not be the 4:2:0 trick that was shown before:
http://i.imgur.com/vnO1fh6.jpg

The hypothesis is that Maxwell GPUs might have support for HDMI2.0 already, and it was enabled in the latest drivers. He's gonna test with a gtx780 later on to confirm whether this is achievable only with the 750ti.

Has anyone else tested it out?

P.S: he reported that he used nvidiafullrgbtool after installing drivers.

Ipsa scientia potestas est
post #167 of 193 Old 08-12-2014, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
Hello.
An italian owner of the AX800 reported that with the latest nvidia drivers (340.52) he was able to set his 750ti at 3840x2160@60hz in RGB mode on HDMI4. He also reports that he doesn't notice any loss in quality between 30hz and 60hz, which means this might not be the 4:2:0 trick that was shown before:
http://i.imgur.com/vnO1fh6.jpg

The hypothesis is that Maxwell GPUs might have support for HDMI2.0 already, and it was enabled in the latest drivers. He's gonna test with a gtx780 later on to confirm whether this is achievable only with the 750ti.

Has anyone else tested it out?

P.S: he reported that he used nvidiafullrgbtool after installing drivers.
I don't have this specific set, but I have a 750ti and a 4K TV.

Just because you can select RGB mode, doesn't mean that you are actually getting full RGB support. I do notice a different in color quality going from 2160@30Hz vs 60Hz (the color looks to be slightly dimmer, text is a tad blurrier, but hardly noticeable).

Why the hell would nvidia not advertise the fact that maxwell has full HDMI 2.0 support, and why would they neuter this support except with driver updates?

I imagine he's getting 4:2:0 chroma, but because the difference is so difficult to notice, he can't even tell. When I read the anandtech article on the nvidia driver adding 4K@60 support, I expected to notice a huge difference in desktop mode, but in reality it's not that bad at all. I just use 4K@60Hz at all times, since the drop in quality is not even noticeable at all in video, which is mainly what I care about with my HTPC.

Why would you not just use DP anyway, since the AX800 has DP support?
post #168 of 193 Old 08-12-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
I don't have this specific set, but I have a 750ti and a 4K TV.

Just because you can select RGB mode, doesn't mean that you are actually getting full RGB support. I do notice a different in color quality going from 2160@30Hz vs 60Hz (the color looks to be slightly dimmer, text is a tad blurrier, but hardly noticeable).

Why the hell would nvidia not advertise the fact that maxwell has full HDMI 2.0 support, and why would they neuter this support except with driver updates?

I imagine he's getting 4:2:0 chroma, but because the difference is so difficult to notice, he can't even tell. When I read the anandtech article on the nvidia driver adding 4K@60 support, I expected to notice a huge difference in desktop mode, but in reality it's not that bad at all. I just use 4K@60Hz at all times, since the drop in quality is not even noticeable at all in video, which is mainly what I care about with my HTPC.

Why would you not just use DP anyway, since the AX800 has DP support?
Can you try updating to the latest drivers and then use the Nvidia FullRGB toggle tool, please:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/V...-Toggler.shtml

?

Ipsa scientia potestas est
post #169 of 193 Old 08-12-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Can you try updating to the latest drivers and then use the Nvidia FullRGB toggle tool, please:

?
Sure. I'm already on the latest drivers. I will see if I notice any difference at all. Would certainly be a nice surprise if it turns out 750ti does have full HDMI 2.0 support (18 Gbps). Not holding my breath though.
post #170 of 193 Old 08-12-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:

?
I just applied the tool. It semed to work successfully. Though I have no idea how to check if I am getting 4:4:4 or 4:2:0 color.

Know of any way I can verify this?
post #171 of 193 Old 08-19-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I still like mine a lot, although FedEx delayed it a bit, that could have happened if Amazon or anyone else had shipped it. I do wish they would ship the stand in a separate package it would split the weight and reduce a possible damage point, but for me it worked out fine. Still like the TV a lot, though having to mod games to work well with 4k is a bit of a pain, I suspect as 4k gains popularity new games will start to come out with an option to make to text and icons bigger, a 4k screen has plenty of room.
One odd thing I wanted to go back to 1080p to test something but that option is no longer in my NVidia control panel, I could maybe made a custom profile to get it back but it seems odd it is no longer a choice....this is a fairly new tech and these minor issues will no doubt get ironed out over time.
post #172 of 193 Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostonmountain View Post
I still like mine a lot, although FedEx delayed it a bit, that could have happened if Amazon or anyone else had shipped it. I do wish they would ship the stand in a separate package it would split the weight and reduce a possible damage point, but for me it worked out fine. Still like the TV a lot, though having to mod games to work well with 4k is a bit of a pain, I suspect as 4k gains popularity new games will start to come out with an option to make to text and icons bigger, a 4k screen has plenty of room.
One odd thing I wanted to go back to 1080p to test something but that option is no longer in my NVidia control panel, I could maybe made a custom profile to get it back but it seems odd it is no longer a choice....this is a fairly new tech and these minor issues will no doubt get ironed out over time.
I still need a TV for another room and at this point the price dropped enough for me. I'd rather get a really good LED 4K with nice build quality than a cheapo LED. I think I'll bite soon. Hopefully, Panasonic will throw in a blu ray player by the time I order....That would be a nice bonus.
I just hope I don't get one with any distracting banding. I know it's inherent in the tech, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll also report back when I get it.

Last edited by firestorm007; 08-19-2014 at 12:15 PM.
post #173 of 193 Old 08-20-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
I still need a TV for another room and at this point the price dropped enough for me. I'd rather get a really good LED 4K with nice build quality than a cheapo LED. I think I'll bite soon. Hopefully, Panasonic will throw in a blu ray player by the time I order....That would be a nice bonus.
I just hope I don't get one with any distracting banding. I know it's inherent in the tech, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll also report back when I get it.
From what I've seen posted in various places so far I think you are less likely to get something with banding in the 58" model (and 50" in EU).
post #174 of 193 Old 08-26-2014, 02:41 AM

I finally found a setting on the TV that was keeping 1080p and other resolutions from being selectable in Windows 7. In the display port settings change "Auto" (the default) to "Single Stream" and a whole list of resolutions will appear that were not previously available. 1080 is the most logical since you can turn off GPU scaling and just let the TV handle it. But other resolutions are available which might work better for some old games. The scaling settings are kept instead of reverting back. I have no idea what the "Auto" setting on the TV was doing but I think it should NOT be the default.
Also you need to turn overscan to "off "(default seems to be on).

Last edited by Lostonmountain; 08-26-2014 at 02:44 AM.
post #175 of 193 Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Everyone

Noob here with a new account. I just wanted to chime in to say that after reading this thread, I have purchased one of these 58" TVs last night exclusively for 4K gaming via the display port.

Thankfully I did some internet research and found the panny o/w I would be frustrated with a TV that didn't support the refresh rate I want.

If anyone has any setup tips for using it as just a display, I would love to hear them.

My PC is a 3770K @ 4.9 ghz, 16gb ram, and SLI Titans. I will be using it mainly for racing an flight sims, like X-plane and Assetto Corsa.
post #176 of 193 Old 08-30-2014, 01:43 PM

I got an email today from the Pany site saying that they're selling the 58" for $2299 as part of their "Black Friday in August" promotion.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...42208_08282014
post #177 of 193 Old 08-30-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah and 65" is at 3400 - great deal.

Next year this will be true for ax900 or something better.

Too bad nbikkasa didn't wait 2 more days to save 1.5k
post #178 of 193 Old 08-31-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
I got an email today from the Pany site saying that they're selling the 58" for $2299 as part of their "Black Friday in August" promotion.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...42208_08282014
It's been $2299 for several weeks now. However, for the next day or two, ebates is offering an extra 10% cash back. Last weekend, ebates offered a two day special of 15% cash back so I decided to give Panasonic another shot. I ordered one and my total will be a little over $1900 after I get the ebates cash back.

My second 58" AX800 is supposed to come in on Wednesday (9/3). They used a different shipping company than the last time. I already called this new company to tell them about my last TV arriving cracked in half. They say they'll take extra care. We'll see. This is Panasonic's last shot at this. I won't buy another if this one arrives cracked. I still think it's a poorly designed shipping box with the ~75 lb stand stuck in the bottom of one corner of the huge box. It makes for an awkward weight distribution and will add stress to the TV if not held upright during the entire shipping process.
post #179 of 193 Old 09-07-2014, 05:31 AM

My second TC-58AX800U set arrived Friday. Luckily, I was home. The delivery company sent one guy and a two-wheel dolly. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have a theory that a two-wheel dolly may have been what cracked my first set. After I convinced the delivery guy to hand carry it into my house (with me on the heavy end ), it is not cracked and I am now the owner of this TV.

After I get in my ebates rebate, it will cost me a little over $1900, which I think is a pretty good bargain. I have not seen ebates run a 15% cash back before or since the one I was able to get so sorry if it doesn't happen again.

I am really loving the picture on this TV. Watching several sources and playing with the presets, my family and I decided on the "Vivid" setting for most TV viewing. Yeah, we chose the "burn your eyeballs" setting. I guess that means we're not AVS pros since we like our TVs eye-poppingly bright and colorful. Ha ha. I tried starting out with the THX Pro setting, figuring that would be the best for movies but it actually created weird gray stuff to happen in dark areas of the scenes. Vivid gets rid of this gray stuff but it also crushes those blacks so there is little to no detail there. I'm still going to play around with it as the days go on but for now (football season!!), it's Vivid all the way, as long as it doesn't introduce motion artifacts. There are two Professional settings too. The first one shows some promise.

One negative so far - the audio isn't very good. My viewing area is a large room with a cathedral ceiling so it's an echo chamber to start with. But with these rear-firing speakers, the echo effect is enhanced, resulting in crappy sound that sounds. We also have to crank up the volume to over 70 to be able to hear dialog clearly. Since it only goes to 100, that's pretty loud and I have to wonder if there isn't a bit of distortion at such a high volume setting.
post #180 of 193 Old 09-12-2014, 04:20 AM

I downloaded several 4K videos and copied them to a USB thumbdrive. The files were all .s4ud format. My Panasonic won't recognize them as video files when I look at the drive using the "Apps" button. It sees the thumbdrive but not the files.

Does anyone know how to play back 4K videos from this television's USB port?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page