Official Panasonic TC-58AX800U & TC-65AX800U 4k Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 373 Old 06-08-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I figured it was time to start an Official Owners thread for Panasonics 2014 58" & 65" 4k Sets. I know that myself and one other forum member are awaiting arrival of the set. I am currently expecting my set on 6/10 or 6/11.

Please use this thread for settings, questions and general observations both positive and constructive.

Some images and info on the new Sets:

Features

•Experience 4K Ultra HD, clarity 4 times higher than 1080p
•Covers 98% of all professional DCI studio color standards
•Delivers the same color gamut level of a plasma display
•Enjoy true cinema quality with a THX 4K Certified Display
imagic likes this.

-Hawkmoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 373 Old 06-08-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 196
So why don't you share your analysis and reasoning that led you to decide on this panel in favor of others?

The pic's are nice but it would be nice to know what led you to decide on the Panasonic.smile.gif
Janibrewski likes this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #3 of 373 Old 06-08-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

So why don't you share your analysis and reasoning that led you to decide on this panel in favor of others?

The pic's are nice but it would be nice to know what led you to decide on the Panasonic.smile.gif

It mainly came down to it having a Display Port. My main reason is for gaming and in particular PC gaming. That is what led me to go with the Panasonic. Out of the 2014 models, it is the only one providing me what I want. With that said, if there was a GPU manufacturer that made GPU's with HDMI 2.0, I probably would stick with my Sony 2013 4k Set, but since that does not exist, that is what drove me to it. I also owned for a short time last years Panasonic and outside of the banding issues I thought it was a fantastic set, but due to those issues there would be no way I would keep it.

-Hawkmoon
post #4 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Looking forward to owner feedback on this line. I am down to 3 TVs with this being one of them so I am very interested to get end user feedback, specifically on any issues like clouding. For my intended use this set hits all the points so it is just how bad the clouding is (I realize it'll vary from set to set) on anything other than an all black screen.

I'm also curious how reflective the screen is.

ROB
post #5 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Please note - there are no stores that sell Panasonic!

only Online  shop Panasonic sells them .

This poor

post #6 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ops1567 View Post

Please note - there are no stores that sell Panasonic!
only Online  shop Panasonic sells them .
This poor

In the U.S that is. In other countries they are sold in some stores.

Supposedly the U.S issue is going to change as Best Buy should start selling them and I agree that right now it is pretty poor/silly to only have sales directly from their Panasonic online.

ROB
post #7 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 36

So after a few days delayed delivery of my 65" AX800 I finally got it yesterday afternoon, and after initial impressions I'm afraid I have more bad news than good to report.

Took me a long time to set up, as the pedestal mounting method is very delicate and clumsy in my opinion. More specifically, it's difficult to hang the tv on the pedestal mounting points as they are so thin and tiny.

First I tried the Moshi MiniDP to HDMI 4K adapter that came with it, and, unsurprisingly, it only supports 4K @ 24Hz, nothing more. Just another Apple rip-off. So forget about 4K gaming on a non-Panasonic TV until a proper adapter or HDMI 2.0 spec graphics cards come out.

After a quick picture calibration, I watched a blu-ray episode of How I Met Your Mother, and was thoroughly impressed with the overall picture quality, the upscale to 4K looks incomparably better than any 1080p screen I've seen before (including ST60 plasma) - at this point I was getting really excited until I put an Indycar race on - now with camera in high motion with frequent panning left and right a couple of purple-ish vertical bands in the right-middle part of the screen became very apparent - so much in fact, that I couldn't stop seeing them after that. This ruined it for me and my heart sank. Both bands are on the right side, one about 2 inches wide, and the second one about 5 inches wide. I tried every possible picture setting after that, but it was clearly visible on all of them in any camera panning motion.

I don't know if this is something that will plague all of the models, or if it's just mine. But the vertical banding is so bad in my one, that I will probably be requesting a replacement unit tomorrow after I've given it another desperate try. In my despair I will even try to untighten the pedestal screws to see it that makes any difference since the narrow band is pretty much where the right hand screws are. But that's just a desperate long shot.

Hopefully the American counterparts will fare better. But I'm afraid it's going to be back to square one for me, unless the replacement unit is better...the problem is the tv I got was the only one available on order in the entire country from the store I bought it at, so I wonder how long will it be before I can actually get a replacement model.

mo949 likes this.

Displays: Samsung Curved 4K 65" UN65HU9000; Samsung 4K 28" U28D590D
Audio System: SVS Ultra 5.1 with SB-2000
Media Server: CoolerMaster Cosmos II, NVIDIA GTX 780Ti K|NGP|N, ASRock Z87 Extreme11/ac, Intel i7 4790K, G.Skill 32GB 2133MHz, 4x1TB Samsung 840 EVO, 11x6TB Seagate ST6000DX000, Creative Titanium HD
post #8 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

I figured it was time to start an Official Owners thread for Panasonics 2014 55" & 65" 4k Sets. I know that myself and one other forum member are awaiting arrival of the set. I am currently expecting my set on 6/10 or 6/11.

Please use this thread for settings, questions and general observations both positive and constructive.

Some images and info on the new Sets:

Features

•Experience 4K Ultra HD, clarity 4 times higher than 1080p
•Covers 98% of all professional DCI studio color standards
•Delivers the same color gamut level of a plasma display
•Enjoy true cinema quality with a THX 4K Certified Display

I think you meant to say model tc-58AX800U (58 inch) in the thread description.
post #9 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbox View Post

So after a few days delayed delivery of my 65" AX800 I finally got it yesterday afternoon, and after initial impressions I'm afraid I have more bad news than good to report.

Took me a long time to set up, as the pedestal mounting method is very delicate and clumsy in my opinion. More specifically, it's difficult to hang the tv on the pedestal mounting points as they are so thin and tiny.

First I tried the Moshi MiniDP to HDMI 4K adapter that came with it, and, unsurprisingly, it only supports 4K @ 24Hz, nothing more. Just another Apple rip-off. So forget about 4K gaming on a non-Panasonic TV until a proper adapter or HDMI 2.0 spec graphics cards come out.

After a quick picture calibration, I watched a blu-ray episode of How I Met Your Mother, and was thoroughly impressed with the overall picture quality, the upscale to 4K looks incomparably better than any 1080p screen I've seen before (including ST60 plasma) - at this point I was getting really excited until I put an Indycar race on - now with camera in high motion with frequent panning left and right a couple of purple-ish vertical bands in the right-middle part of the screen became very apparent - so much in fact, that I couldn't stop seeing them after that. This ruined it for me and my heart sank. Both bands are on the right side, one about 2 inches wide, and the second one about 5 inches wide. I tried every possible picture setting after that, but it was clearly visible on all of them in any camera panning motion.

I don't know if this is something that will plague all of the models, or if it's just mine. But the vertical banding is so bad in my one, that I will probably be requesting a replacement unit tomorrow after I've given it another desperate try. In my despair I will even try to untighten the pedestal screws to see it that makes any difference since the narrow band is pretty much where the right hand screws are. But that's just a desperate long shot.

Hopefully the American counterparts will fare better. But I'm afraid it's going to be back to square one for me, unless the replacement unit is better...the problem is the tv I got was the only one available on order in the entire country from the store I bought it at, so I wonder how long will it be before I can actually get a replacement model.

Sorry to hear that. For some reason the big screen 65inch LCD's tend to have these vertical bands that severely degrade the PQ and the viewing enjoyment. Sony/Samsung 65 inch LCDs are notorious for this phenomenon as well. For that size, plasma is probably the only current option, but OLEDs are on there way in that size smile.gif
post #10 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Sorry to hear that. For some reason the big screen 65inch LCD's tend to have these vertical bands that severely degrade the PQ and the viewing enjoyment. Sony/Samsung 65 inch LCDs are notorious for this phenomenon as well. For that size, plasma is probably the only current option, but OLEDs are on there way in that size smile.gif

I didn't realize that. You think a replacement unit would not have the same issues, or perhaps different banding issues?

Media Server: CoolerMaster Cosmos II, NVIDIA GTX 780Ti K|NGP|N, ASRock Z87 Extreme11/ac, Intel i7 4790K, G.Skill 32GB 2133MHz, 4x1TB Samsung 840 EVO, 11x6TB Seagate ST6000DX000, Creative Titanium HD
post #11 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't speak with any certainty, but I have been victim to the same problems in the 65 inch sizes. If what I suspect is right, you'll see banding in the next set as well but it could present itself differently. Its hard to give good advice, but if it were me with my previous experience, and I bought a 65 inch today and it had that type of vertical banding I would return promptly and move on to the next model since I've never seen the panel lottery work out well; in some cases I saw people find one that they could 'live' with after replacing it a couple of times. Panasonic also had the same issue last year from the sound of one of the posts above.

I'll bet the 58" doesn't suffer as badly.
post #12 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Is this banding a result of the edge-lit technology? Meaning what is the potential for FALD AX900 to not have these annoying bands?

post #13 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Banding can occur on any size screen, it is not an inherent problem to 65" screens or larger. I have 2 Sony 65" screens in my house and neither of them have banding issues to extent that they are very visible. On my non 4k Sony 65" I can see some slight banding on certain dark grey screens but that is it. For gaming, tv watching and Blu Ray I don't see them, which is different than when I had last years Panasonic 4k which had the 4 bands that were visible on anything I watched with the exception of a very dark or black screen. My Sony 4k 65" I don't see any banding, so it is not just a big screen issue.

I am really sad to hear about your set. My set should be delivered tomorrow or Wednesday and just reading your experience made my stomach hurt. I want this set to not have those issues as that is what killed it for me in last years set. As I stated on other threads, I though last years model was fantastic, except for the banding issues. My hope is that this years is free from it, but since you are the first owner in these parts and you have issues, it is not a good sign.

-Hawkmoon
post #14 of 373 Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just read your post again and your banding sounds a little odd to me. The banding I experienced in last years models (going through 2 sets) were in the exact same spot. 4 vertical bands, 2 on the left 2 on the right of the screen. They were only about 1/4" thick and like many have suggested, they lined up with the support beams that you would use to mount the set to wall. It was believed that the banding in last years model were the support beams showing through. Your issues, while still banding from my understanding is odd because of how wide they are. Last years model had the 4 vertical bars on every owners set in the same exact place. I know of others that have had banding on other brands and usually 2 of the same models never show the same level of banding or in the same place.

I am little more hopeful that it is just bad luck perhaps. I will know more in the next 48 hours. I really hope my set is fine. I went out and bought a new stand for it and all, which even if does not work out, I am still glad to have gotten, but I really want this to work out. My Wife has already green lighted the new Sony 4k if the Panasonic does not work out, but it will be something we save for at the end of the year and the only bad is that my main reason is for gaming at 4k on my PC. So that would mean someone needs to make a high end GPU with HDMI 2.0.!!!

-Hawkmoon
post #15 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the european model TX-50AX800E. No banding here. To my surprise and happiness I now have all my camcorder footage upscaled to a much higher quality. Many blurays look like 4K. Ben Hur is stunning! I can now see my many years old 8 megapixel jpeg stills the way they were supposed to in the correct resolution. Broadcast HDTV though is no better...
The Pc is hooked up with Displayport to my Nvidia 670 card. I can use the HDMI 2.0 too. I have no games to compare. The webbrowser looks gorgeous with no longer pixelated text and photos as with my 1080 displays.
post #16 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The OP might want to edit the title of this topic. I am expecting my TC-58AX800U later this week. smile.gif

I chose this TV over the Samsung UN55F9000AFXZA because I didn't like the curved screen and the Sony XBR-55X900A because of the extra width and the issues some are having with that particular model. I almost went for the Sony XBR-55X850B, but then I found a great discount link on this new Panasonic AX800U and after reading a few of the early positive reviews, I figured I'd go for it.
post #17 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post

The OP might want to edit the title of this topic. I am expecting my TC-58AX800U later this week. smile.gif

I chose this TV over the Samsung UN55F9000AFXZA because I didn't like the curved screen and the Sony XBR-55X900A because of the extra width and the issues some are having with that particular model. I almost went for the Sony XBR-55X850B, but then I found a great discount link on this new Panasonic AX800U and after reading a few of the early positive reviews, I figured I'd go for it.

I edited the title. Sorry about that. I guess I am use to saying 55" since 58" is such a non standard size! smile.gif

-Hawkmoon
post #18 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this banding a result of the edge-lit technology? Meaning what is the potential for FALD AX900 to not have these annoying bands?

There was a good manufacturing discussion in the es8000 thread on why it would affect the 65 inch size more/differently than the other sizes. One of the more knowledgeable people about the manufacturing process indicated that the bands had to do with 'splices' (this may be the wrong word) in one of the layers of the screen. The analogy was imagine having fabric come in a roll that's just wide enough to make a 55" screen. On the 55's you wouldn't see problems because it was one nice piece. On the 65 they had to make a few 'cuts' and 'splices' in the process and I believe there was an adhesive involved. Something about that difference made the 65's more prone to it. A search of these forums for 65 inch sony's and samsungs along with their pictures will show you everything I've said.
post #19 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I just read your post again and your banding sounds a little odd to me. The banding I experienced in last years models (going through 2 sets) were in the exact same spot. 4 vertical bands, 2 on the left 2 on the right of the screen. They were only about 1/4" thick and like many have suggested, they lined up with the support beams that you would use to mount the set to wall. It was believed that the banding in last years model were the support beams showing through. Your issues, while still banding from my understanding is odd because of how wide they are. Last years model had the 4 vertical bars on every owners set in the same exact place. I know of others that have had banding on other brands and usually 2 of the same models never show the same level of banding or in the same place.

I am little more hopeful that it is just bad luck perhaps. I will know more in the next 48 hours. I really hope my set is fine. I went out and bought a new stand for it and all, which even if does not work out, I am still glad to have gotten, but I really want this to work out. My Wife has already green lighted the new Sony 4k if the Panasonic does not work out, but it will be something we save for at the end of the year and the only bad is that my main reason is for gaming at 4k on my PC. So that would mean someone needs to make a high end GPU with HDMI 2.0.!!!

No this appears to be a standard random vertical banding issue, the dark narrow bands from last year appear to be gone.

I displayed a uniform grey picture on it yesterday and the bands were very obvious - one large blob on right hand side of the screen in particular.

One other store got one of these on display yesterday, so I'm heading down there with my grey photo and that Indycar race to compare the vertical banding and screen uniformity issues.

post #20 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

No this appears to be a standard vertical banding issue, the dark narrow bands from last year appear to be gone.
One other store got one of these on display yesterday, so I'm heading down there with my grey photo and that indycar race to compare the vertical banding and screen uniformity issues.

Keep us updated. I just called the shipping company for mine and it's on it's way to a local shipper in my area. I called them and at first they had no clue, but when I went into the details he said yeah, they are expecting it. The guy then told me that it could be a few days before they send it out and I live about 3 miles away. I asked if I could pick it up and he said no problem. So now, I am just waiting to get a call in the next few hours and will pick mine up. But if you can keep me posted, that would be great. I expect some level of banding, but for me, if it does not appear when watching content in most color schemes I will be fine. But if it is apparent in everyday viewing, then bye bye. I hope the one you check out is better. Reading some of the reviews, uniformity was a slight issue, no more or less than typical LCD, so at least that is good sign that it may of been isolated.

-Hawkmoon
post #21 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM

After having it one more day (and not watching any sports on it) I've actually not noticed the banding so much that it would be super distracting. And to be honest, Panasonic have done an amazing job with the picture quality. I just wish the intelligent frame creation (motionflow) would work more smoothly during scene changes - the stutter in motion flow is very noticeable during every scene change where there's movement on the screen.

I guess I might just be able to live with this screen - though it will be interesting to see the new display model's banding (if any) in store later today for comparison.

Also, it would be great to have optimal calibration settings. So far I'm setting it so it looks best to my eyes, but with so many settings I'm sure there's a more optimal PQ setting out there. I'm also unsure which setting outputs 4:4:4 - I imagine it's the Monitor preset?

post #22 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 01:33 PM

Liked: 11
How is the off angle viewing?
post #23 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Left-Right up to 40 degrees looks very nice (I can't measure more as my room is too small LOL).

Though looking at it from above the picture got all washed up immediately. Looking at it from slightly below (it's slightly tilted back anyway on that stand that comes with it) or direct line seems optimal.

post #24 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

After having it one more day (and not watching any sports on it) I've actually not noticed the banding so much that it would be super distracting. And to be honest, Panasonic have done an amazing job with the picture quality. I just wish the intelligent frame creation (motionflow) would work more smoothly during scene changes - the stutter in motion flow is very noticeable during every scene change where there's movement on the screen.

I guess I might just be able to live with this screen - though it will be interesting to see the new display model's banding (if any) in store later today for comparison.

Also, it would be great to have optimal calibration settings. So far I'm setting it so it looks best to my eyes, but with so many settings I'm sure there's a more optimal PQ setting out there. I'm also unsure which setting outputs 4:4:4 - I imagine it's the Monitor preset?

I know you bought this in part to use as a monitor, how is PC gaming on it so far? My main reason is gaming. Can you give us feedback in that regard? I know reviews gave it good marks for input lag, but I more curious in how it handles fast moving objects (blurring) and what your thoughts on it as a gaming monitor. Lastly, while gaming, do you notice the banding and is it distracting?

-Hawkmoon
post #25 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Funny thing I'm experiencing on DisplayPort - I can only select 60Hz or 50Hz in Catalyst Control Centre (this is still on my old machine with Radeon 7970), latest drivers though.

I would have thought 59, 24, and 23Hz refresh rates would be available via DisplayPort as well?

post #26 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I know you bought this in part to use as a monitor, how is PC gaming on it so far? My main reason is gaming. Can you give us feedback in that regard? I know reviews gave it good marks for input lag, but I more curious in how it handles fast moving objects (blurring) and what your thoughts on it as a gaming monitor. Lastly, while gaming, do you notice the banding and is it distracting?

Sorry, but haven't had the time to game, since I'm in the middle of building my new gaming rig that occupies most my time after getting back from work every afternoon.

I expect to finish building on Friday and if the burn-in goes fine, I will be gaming over the weekend. Pretty sure you will have the chance to test it out yourself by then. :-)

Sorry I couldn't be much help here yet.

post #27 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

There was a good manufacturing discussion in the es8000 thread on why it would affect the 65 inch size more/differently than the other sizes. One of the more knowledgeable people about the manufacturing process indicated that the bands had to do with 'splices' (this may be the wrong word) in one of the layers of the screen. The analogy was imagine having fabric come in a roll that's just wide enough to make a 55" screen. On the 55's you wouldn't see problems because it was one nice piece. On the 65 they had to make a few 'cuts' and 'splices' in the process and I believe there was an adhesive involved. Something about that difference made the 65's more prone to it. A search of these forums for 65 inch sony's and samsungs along with their pictures will show you everything I've said.

Really? Oh, snap. My next TV was going to be 65-incher but if 65-inchers are prone to banding compared to other sizes, I may have to reconsider my size choice. mad.gif
post #28 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't take it to mean that larger is afflicted with the same issue. Something about the sharp panels 70" and above were able to do it with just one 'splice' on their models. I'm not sure why its only the LCDs that have this layer its been a while since that discussion. I'm curious what the 65 R series will be like.
post #29 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Really? Oh, snap. My next TV was going to be 65-incher but if 65-inchers are prone to banding compared to other sizes, I may have to reconsider my size choice. mad.gif

I own a 60/65" with zero banding and Sharp has not had a history of banding in many years so don't believe everything people post here unless they are quoting a CURRENT technical paper or an entire RECENT thread that impacts said panels but there are millions of 65>" panels globally WITHOUT this banding event - just nonsense when you consider globally there will be 18 miilion UDTV's sold in 2014 and most of them 60">. The problems that were serious at Sharp ran about three years but that in fact was not at their current plant and that plant was converted to built tablet pc and smart phone glass - they no longer build TV's at that old Sharp plant that had the banding issues.

Because a handful of people discuss an event on this forum does make it a global universal event otherwise Samsung, Sharp, et al would be out of business if that were a fact!

Yes, an event on some panels but lets not paint the global distribution as tainted like we're Fox News scaring the crap out of white folks to generate viewership.wink.gif

I've read reviews on these large panels and not witnessing banding history as a serious issue and if your in doubt go audition them for yourself.
RayWK likes this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #30 of 373 Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 PM

Just got back from the store where I checked a 65" AX800 display model.

This one seemed to have somewhat better uniformity with only one 2 inch vertical band on the far left side of the screen. Definitely an improvement over 7-8 inches of bands on the right middle of my screen.

I will go and see another display model at another store when they put it up, and then decide which one is most acceptable.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page