Samsung UHD Curved UNxxHU9000 - Am I the first one with issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Maltastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I received my Samsung UHD Curved UN65HU9000 from Amazon on Friday, June 6th. I was extremely impressed with the picture, the features, the whole package. However, after spending a couple days watching it, I noticed a frequent problem with the sound. About once a minute, there was a sort of "hiccup", where the sound cuts out for a split second. It seems minor, but when it happens one time every minute, you stop paying attention to what your watching and just wait for the sound to cut out.

That's issue #1. Does anyone know what could be causing it to happen?

Issue #2 is something completely different altogether. I actually had a painful conversation with Samsung customer care about it this morning. I talked to a robot-woman who couldn't formulate a real thought without having me "hold for a minute while she tried to get a solution". Anyway, issue #2 is that my TV is in a constant loop of turning on and off. I have no control of it using the remote (either remotes, actually). It turns on and turns off by itself. I've been able to somehow turn it off at times, but the only consistent way for me to turn it off is by unplugging it. But then when I turn it back on, the loop happens again. It turns on, the dock appears at the bottom and it freezes.

Seems like I probably have a faulty TV. One of the few, I guess. I'm supposed to get a call to schedule a tech to come out and look into it. But figured I'd see if I was the first person on here who's had any issues, in hopes that someone has some insight.

I'm guessing I'll end up needing a replacement, which could work out since it may fix issue #1 as well.

Thanks to whoever has any help.
Maltastic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltastic View Post

So I received my Samsung UHD Curved UN65HU9000 from Amazon on Friday, June 6th. I was extremely impressed with the picture, the features, the whole package. However, after spending a couple days watching it, I noticed a frequent problem with the sound. About once a minute, there was a sort of "hiccup", where the sound cuts out for a split second. It seems minor, but when it happens one time every minute, you stop paying attention to what your watching and just wait for the sound to cut out.

That's issue #1. Does anyone know what could be causing it to happen?

Issue #2 is something completely different altogether. I actually had a painful conversation with Samsung customer care about it this morning. I talked to a robot-woman who couldn't formulate a real thought without having me "hold for a minute while she tried to get a solution". Anyway, issue #2 is that my TV is in a constant loop of turning on and off. I have no control of it using the remote (either remotes, actually). It turns on and turns off by itself. I've been able to somehow turn it off at times, but the only consistent way for me to turn it off is by unplugging it. But then when I turn it back on, the loop happens again. It turns on, the dock appears at the bottom and it freezes.

Seems like I probably have a faulty TV. One of the few, I guess. I'm supposed to get a call to schedule a tech to come out and look into it. But figured I'd see if I was the first person on here who's had any issues, in hopes that someone has some insight.

I'm guessing I'll end up needing a replacement, which could work out since it may fix issue #1 as well.

Thanks to whoever has any help.

1) In so far as the sound goes, what is your setup? Are you just using the TV's speakers? Are you using Optical out to a soundbar or receiver? does the sound hiccup no matter what the content? (i.e. is it only in apps or on everything).

2) Have you tried a factory reset on the TV? Honestly it sounds like your TV is having bigger issues and Amazon or Samsung should replace it.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is online now  
post #3 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Maltastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post

1) In so far as the sound goes, what is your setup? Are you just using the TV's speakers? Are you using Optical out to a soundbar or receiver? does the sound hiccup no matter what the content? (i.e. is it only in apps or on everything).

2) Have you tried a factory reset on the TV? Honestly it sounds like your TV is having bigger issues and Amazon or Samsung should replace it.

My sound set up is pretty basic. I do have an optical going out to a receiver, but it happens with the receiver on or off, regardless of the channel. That being said, I have an Apple TV that I haven't tested for the sound issue yet. I'll have to do that.

And yeah, it seems like I'm the proud owner of a potential lemon. At the moment, it's impossible to access any of the menus because the TV isn't recognizing the remote control due to the loop it's stuck in. Every now and then I can override the loop and turn it off. But I can't get into any of the menus or tools, where I assume the factory reset option is.

I unplugged it and removed the one connect cable in hopes that some R&R for the TV fixes things (though, I'm not hopeful). I'll be checking on it again later.
Maltastic is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltastic View Post

My sound set up is pretty basic. I do have an optical going out to a receiver, but it happens with the receiver on or off, regardless of the channel. That being said, I have an Apple TV that I haven't tested for the sound issue yet. I'll have to do that.

And yeah, it seems like I'm the proud owner of a potential lemon. At the moment, it's impossible to access any of the menus because the TV isn't recognizing the remote control due to the loop it's stuck in. Every now and then I can override the loop and turn it off. But I can't get into any of the menus or tools, where I assume the factory reset option is.

I unplugged it and removed the one connect cable in hopes that some R&R for the TV fixes things (though, I'm not hopeful). I'll be checking on it again later.

Did your TV come with a basic remote as well as the Smart remote? ( I have the UN65F9000 which came with both) Try the basic remote if you have one. I originally has the UN60F8000 that had rebooting issues, albeit nothing like what you are experiencing, where it would eventually stop responding to remote commands and then reboot. Eventually it worked itself out with after a firmware upgrade but it was annoying. As far as the sound goes, I had that issue with another one of my Samsung TVs in Netflix using an optical out. Eventually I went into the sound options and under Digital out I changed it to PCM and my sounds hiccups went away instantly.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is online now  
post #5 of 6 Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Maltastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post

Did your TV come with a basic remote as well as the Smart remote? ( I have the UN65F9000 which came with both) Try the basic remote if you have one. I originally has the UN60F8000 that had rebooting issues, albeit nothing like what you are experiencing, where it would eventually stop responding to remote commands and then reboot. Eventually it worked itself out with after a firmware upgrade but it was annoying. As far as the sound goes, I had that issue with another one of my Samsung TVs in Netflix using an optical out. Eventually I went into the sound options and under Digital out I changed it to PCM and my sounds hiccups went away instantly.

Good to know! I'll definitely try out that sound fix (if/when I get the other issue corrected).

As far as the the remote, it came with both. What's interesting, is that the Wii-like cursor on the smart remote works for the first few seconds when the TV comes back on. But then I can see it freeze. So something's happening at start-up. It's like the dock comes up and then another alert pops up that says the camera isn't activated. Then the on-screen TV messages freeze, it sits for a little, and turns off – keep in mind, my TV picture doesn't freeze. The TV then turns on again about five seconds later. I checked for a firmware update on Friday when I got it, and it said I had the latest. At this point, I think I'm stuck waiting for the Samsung tech to call me and come out. I'll definitely update if my "R&R" fix helps at all. I'm assuming no one else has had this problem (yet).
sikclown likes this.
Maltastic is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Maltastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just an update for anyone who may have this problem down the road. A Samsung tech came out this past Friday (6/13) and determined that he thinks it's the One Connect box. Of course, he didn't bring a replacement, so I'm still waiting. To me, it seems a little too easy that that's all it is, but I'm hoping that box IS the brains of the TV and that's all it'll need.

Now I'm just waiting for a callback from them to schedule another appointment for a tech to come out. When the TV worked for the two days that it did, it was phenomenal. I watched the second to last episode of this season's Game of Thrones, and it truly was a whole new viewing experience. But the wait to watch something else has been frustrating, to say the least.
Maltastic is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off