Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #61 of 205 Old 06-27-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Try this -- I didn't fine-tune the white scale, but the High temperature is pretty good out of the box:

DYNAMIC Picture Quality:

Automatic Light Sensor (ON)
Backlight (-16)
Contrast (+30)
Brightness (+1)
Color (+15)
Tint (0)
Sharpness (+10)
-- ADVANCED --
Resolution Enhanced (Mode 1)
Motion Enhancement (Aquomotion240)
Clear Picture (OFF)
CMS (ALL 0)
Color Temperature (HIGH)
Active Contrast (ADVANCED)
Gamma (0)
Film Mode (ADVANCED +10)
Digital Noise Reduction (OFF)
Monochrome (OFF)
Light Sensor (Maximum +16, Minimum -8)

This is preliminary and will probably need calibration of colors to prevent clipping.
It is much brighter and more colorful without glowing fleshtones in faces.
It is much too strong for my old eyes, but to each their own.
If you like the direction, I can do some more calibration work on it (or leave it alone!)

OK, I've now color-balanced the whites and tamed the runaway colors:

CMS Hue (All 0 except Magenta +6, Yellow -4, Blue -30)
CMS Saturation (All 0 except Red -17, Green -17, Blue -11, Magenta -13)

Color Temperature (HIGH)

2-Point Color Temperature:

LO (R0, G+12, B-3)
HI (R-15, G+30, B-3)

This is still pretty rushed, but it looks surprisingly good!
If you want a consistently high-contrast image, this is the one...

Last edited by johnfull; 06-27-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 205 Old 06-27-2014, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
Try this -- I didn't fine-tune the white scale, but the High temperature is pretty good out of the box:

DYNAMIC Picture Quality:

Backlight (-16)
Contrast (+30)
Brightness (+1)
Color (+15)
Tint (0)
Sharpness (+10)
-- ADVANCED --
Clear Picture (OFF)
CMS (ALL 0)
Color Temperature (HIGH)
Gamma (0)
Film Mode (ADVANCED +10)
Monochrome (OFF)

This is preliminary and will probably need calibration of colors to prevent clipping.
If you like the direction, I can do some more calibration work on it (or leave it alone!)

Color Temperature (HIGH)

LO (R0, G+12, B-3)
HI (R-15, G+30, B-3)
I'll give this a shot when I get home and get back to you on the results. I wonder if perhaps are screens being a little different UQ vs SQ if perhaps our end result might be different. Also, what is your viewing environment? My family room where the TV is currently located has 5 windows on the side.

Many Thanks!
post #63 of 205 Old 06-27-2014, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The UQ has a 'Super Bright' feature of its own that may effect the final settings for
the Light Sensor or even the Backlight. I have a large window to the side and 3
small windows across that create reflections if the venetian blinds are not closed.
The USER and the DYNAMIC settings are adjacent, so it's easy to toggle back and
forth the see the difference. After getting used to the DYNAMIC, the USER has a
bit of a haze or washed-out appearance, at least in low light viewing so far this morning.
You might have luck with the Active Contrast with with the USER setting.
I found it to cause too much change, but it may be just the added touch you want.
If the DYNAMIC works for you, let me know and also any changes you make to it.
Thanks!
post #64 of 205 Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just switched on the ACTIVE CONTRAST and set it to ADVANCED with the USER setting.
It may solve the fluctuation of crisp and hazy screens that some of us observe.
Originally, I thought it was too heavy-handed, but I'm going to give it another go.
Anyone else who cares to can try it and comment. If it is overall a good effect, I can go
back in with the calibration disc and make sure it's not clipping the highlights or crushing the blacks.
post #65 of 205 Old 06-27-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I just switched on the ACTIVE CONTRAST and set it to ADVANCED with the USER setting.
It may solve the fluctuation of crisp and hazy screens that some of us observe.
Originally, I thought it was too heavy-handed, but I'm going to give it another go.
Anyone else who cares to can try it and comment. If it is overall a good effect, I can go
back in with the calibration disc and make sure it's not clipping the highlights or crushing the blacks.
Thanks John. Question do you use 3d glasses? Do you know of or recommend any?
post #66 of 205 Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The set came equipped with 2 pairs.
I got the UQ model TV as a warranty replacement for another 3D Quattron.
It had rechargeable infrared-operated 3D glasses that were larger and better.
The new ones are BlueTooth-operated, require battery changes and are cheap looking.
In performance, though, the new ones are actually better, with a better optical material
for the lenses. The old ones rippled if you tipped your head, but these are smooth.
The discoloration is much reduced, too, where the old ones were slightly brown/amber.
The new ones are said to be better for wearing over prescription glasses, but a member
or the household says it's not so. The old glasses don't work with BlueTooth, so we just
get used to these. Here are the ones we have from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s2&tag=ltbg-20
post #67 of 205 Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

User setting updates:
Active Contrast now at Advanced on Satellite/Cable, but OFF on BluRay
Color now at +5 on both
Automatic Light Sensor - Minimum is upped to -8 on BluRay, still -11 on Satellite
post #68 of 205 Old 06-29-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Johnfull, are the modes so different that we can't repurpose one of the other modes, say movie, with all these settings but with the changes for blu-ray, so that we can choose that mode depending on the source? I would much rather do that instead of having to change the settings. But it sounds like you are saying that there are some inherent differences in the modes, even if you make all their settings the same.
post #69 of 205 Old 06-29-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Typically speaking, the pre-set modes (cinema, game, etc) allow for only a few settings to be modified, usually just the basics. The rest of the settings are unchangeable based on the type of pre-set it is. It depends on the mfr so, for example, LG may allow a few more changes than say Sharp, or vice versa. The idea is that the user doesn't have to make any major decisions as far as adjustments go because the mfr has already decided what is "best" for that mode. Some mfrs have Expert settings that can be saved for each input and those are usually the ones that are capable of a full ISF calibration. My LG for example has two Expert settings so I can have a full calibration for Day and one for Night viewing that can be saved for any input. These are totally separate from the pre-set modes (which I never use).
post #70 of 205 Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
Johnfull, are the modes so different that we can't repurpose one of the other modes, say movie, with all these settings but with the changes for blu-ray, so that we can choose that mode depending on the source? I would much rather do that instead of having to change the settings. But it sounds like you are saying that there are some inherent differences in the modes, even if you make all their settings the same.
The algorithms are different -- the programmed way that each setting responds to an input.
Dynamic seems to emphasize bright and colorful pictures even when you set the color and
brightness back closer to normal values. Face tones resist turning odd with the extra saturation.
At least that is how I see it. User allows more low-level color differnece than Standard and
the Movie mode allows the most variation, but fluctuates too much from one source to another.
You can store all the settings and use the one you want for any given source.
It's just that USER makes you input values for each input where Standard is for all inputs.
post #71 of 205 Old 06-29-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
User setting updates:
Active Contrast now at Advanced on Satellite/Cable, but OFF on BluRay
Color now at +5 on both
Automatic Light Sensor - Minimum is upped to -8 on BluRay, still -11 on Satellite
John quick question, does it matter if you leave Backlight at -16 vs say 0 when selecting Auto Light Sensor On?

I have my Min level set at 0 and +16 Max for light sensor adjustment.
post #72 of 205 Old 06-29-2014, 01:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikijojo View Post
John quick question, does it matter if you leave Backlight at -16 vs say 0 when selecting Auto Light Sensor On?

I have my Min level set at 0 and +16 Max for light sensor adjustment.
I think i remember john saying that it doesn't matter. If you set the light sensor to "on" the backlight setting is irrelevant . If u then go to the backlight setting and change it it turns the light sensor off.
post #73 of 205 Old 06-29-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
I think i remember john saying that it doesn't matter. If you set the light sensor to "on" the backlight setting is irrelevant . If u then go to the backlight setting and change it it turns the light sensor off.
Good question! -- it looks like the Backlight control is disabled when the Light Sensor is turned on.
As soon as you try to adjust the Backlight, it switches the Automatic Light Sensor off.
When you turn it back on, it takes over control of the backlight, and overrides its manual setting.
You would think they would lay it out better -- put the Minimum and Maximum control close to the
Light Sensor on/off and make the Backlight inoperable when the Light Sensor is in use. But, no.
They leave it to us to figure that out!
post #74 of 205 Old 06-29-2014, 01:31 PM

Liked: 10
Red face

John

A comment and question.

In a previous post i mentioned i really liked the "user" settings you posted but it looked to dim to me. I took your advice and raised the minimum threshold on the light sensor. As I feared if u raise it very much it starts to wash the colors out. I did raise it from -11 to - 8 and it helped. Raising it any more than that degrades the picture.

Question

I notice you use auqamotion 240 and have film mode on in your settings. Can you explain what the difference is between 120 low, 120 high and 240?

I left the film mode off cause i thought that is what caused that awful soap opera effect. I still have it a little with film mode off but not as bad. I'm curious as to why you are using it. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Sharp LC-60SQ15U
post #75 of 205 Old 06-29-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
John

A comment and question.

In a previous post i mentioned i really liked the "user" settings you posted but it looked to dim to me. I took your advice and raised the minimum threshold on the light sensor. As I feared if u raise it very much it starts to wash the colors out. I did raise it from -11 to - 8 and it helped. Raising it any more than that degrades the picture.

Question

I notice you use auqamotion 240 and have film mode on in your settings. Can you explain what the difference is between 120 low, 120 high and 240?

I left the film mode off cause i thought that is what caused that awful soap opera effect. I still have it a little with film mode off but not as bad. I'm curious as to why you are using it. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Someone in my household likes the soap opera effect, so I avoid problems by leaving it on.
Supposedly, it only kicks in when film is shown. I've gotten used to it, but it is optional.
Same with the Aquomotion 240, which is the highest scanning rate that will also allow the
Resolution Enhancement to operate. Since the panel is already 240 natively, I'm not sure
what it does. I just try to have as little flicker and ghosting as possible and it's worked well.
These TVs have way more capacity than I have use for, so my settings probably are a bit dim.
You can crank the backlight up manually, turn up the color and turn down the brightness to
get a stronger image, or you can just keep moving the minimum sensor up till it's within one
notch of the maximum. That might let the TV have control over dark scenes which it might
lose if you go manual with the backlight. Experiment -- you can't hurt anything and you can
always revert back to a previous setting. Let us know what you discover -- I've only had my
70" UQ for a couple of weeks!
Dr Pepper likes this.
post #76 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 06:39 AM

So I spent the weekend in a hotel that didn't have HD TV, just SD. When I came home last night, and turned on my 70SQ, the picture looked like a dream!!!! It's ALL perspective! I have since tweaked the picture a little bit more and I'm really starting to like the set. I watched my first 1080p content (Toy Story w/ the kids) and the picture looked amazing! 1080i HD broadcast looks good on this set, but watching 1080p is an entirely different experience.

I was complaining last week about the lack of "pop" and "dim" look to the pic, so in the USER setting I just added +2 or +3 on all the Color Saturations and put Color to +4. I used your Hue settings. I turned Active Contrast to Off, and Gamma to -1. I have Contrast at +32, and 120hz Low, and Color Temp to "Middle". I also have Sharpness at +5 and Film Mode to standard. It's not perfect, but I'm liking the look to this TV more now. The TV has more pop in color and contrast without the radioactive look - yet not too dim.
post #77 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Cool!
post #78 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi! Thanks for these useful information.
I just bought LC60-UQ17U last week.
I have some problems when I follow your suggestion to change picture settings.
The Clear Picture, CMS, Active Contrast, Film Mode, and Digital noise Reduction settings in the USER mode are not changeable (in gray).
The signal of the Cable TV connected (HDMI) to Onkyo 626 first and output to TV.
Anything wrong with my setting?
post #79 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You have to be careful with the USER mode. Until you input the settings for each input,
it will switch to whatever that input had set up on it last time. In other words, if you set
up your Cable input and then switch to BluRay to set it up, you have to change the
Picture Quality Setting to USER there, too. It sounds like you changed inputs and are in
GAME mode or PC or something that restricts your access to Advanced feature.
Otherwise, I don't have a clue why your set would be restricting those things in USER mode.
Let me know if you double-checked the setting at the top -- the PICTURE QUALITY and
changed it to USER for each input...
post #80 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
You have to be careful with the USER mode. Until you input the settings for each input,
it will switch to whatever that input had set up on it last time. In other words, if you set
up your Cable input and then switch to BluRay to set it up, you have to change the
Picture Quality Setting to USER there, too. It sounds like you changed inputs and are in
Otherwise, I don't have a clue why your set would be restricting those things in USER mode.
Let me know if you double-checked the setting at the top -- the PICTURE QUALITY and
The user setting is new to me so excuse my naive question. Are you referring to the TV source? All of my components run to my AVR, then I have one HDMI that connects to me TV so I never change the source on my TV. Does that mean I only need to input the users settings once?

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #81 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM

Liked: 57
John,

Settings are looking amazing. Watched transformers 1 last night and had some pixilation in the beginning when the soldiers are on the chopper talking. It was weird their faces would be crystal clear and then they would look smudgy for a quick second. Not sure why the tv wasn't processing better or maybe it was always there but I didn't see it on my 55 inch sony. Daughter watched the second one this morning. The colors just pop on the standard setting. Looks so nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Indefinitely Delayed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #82 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000 View Post
The user setting is new to me so excuse my naive question. Are you referring to the TV source? All of my components run to my AVR, then I have one HDMI that connects to me TV so I never change the source on my TV. Does that mean I only need to input the users settings once?
It's in the list of Picture Quality Modes at the top of the first page of the menu.
It's near the bottom of that list. If all your stuff goes into one input, then you
only have to input numbers once. You lose the ability to tailor the settings for
the differing qualities of source, but these TVs handle the diversity quite well
without fiddling between settings.
Are your settings still grayed out? I hope not.
If so, try switching to a different setting and come back to see if it resets.
Some settings lock out some items, but not the USER setting...
Jahjd2000 likes this.
post #83 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post
John,

Settings are looking amazing. Watched transformers 1 last night and had some pixilation in the beginning when the soldiers are on the chopper talking. It was weird their faces would be crystal clear and then they would look smudgy for a quick second. Not sure why the tv wasn't processing better or maybe it was always there but I didn't see it on my 55 inch sony. Daughter watched the second one this morning. The colors just pop on the standard setting. Looks so nice.
Good to hear that it's looking good.
I watched Grand Budapest Hotel yesterday on USER and it looked awesome.
A couple of times, it did a very tiny hiccup, like a glitch in the disc or the TV.
It would be hard to tell the difference without interrupting the movie and
destroying the domestic tranquility -- such as it is.
Have you tried USER with BluRay? I want to do THX next and finish the Dynamic
setting that I started for someone else. Not enough hours!
post #84 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
It's in the list of Picture Quality Modes at the top of the first page of the menu.
It's near the bottom of that list. If all your stuff goes into one input, then you
only have to input numbers once. You lose the ability to tailor the settings for
the differing qualities of source, but these TVs handle the diversity quite well
without fiddling between settings.
Are your settings still grayed out? I hope not.
If so, try switching to a different setting and come back to see if it resets.
Some settings lock out some items, but not the USER setting...
Thanks for that and so far I'm liking this user setting. Darker picture than standard and the colors appear vibrant. Thumbs up!

Sharp LC70SQ15U
Denon 4311ci
Ascend Acoustics Towers (NrT)
Ascend Horizon Center (NrT)
Definitive Technology Surrounds BP1.2X
Rythmik E15HP
Epik Empire
post #85 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000 View Post
Thanks for that and so far I'm liking this user setting. Darker picture than standard and the colors appear vibrant. Thumbs up!
Good to hear!
post #86 of 205 Old 06-30-2014, 07:45 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

DYNAMIC Picture Quality:

Backlight (-16)
Contrast (+30)
Brightness (+1)
Color (+15)
Tint (0)
Sharpness (+10)
-- ADVANCED --
Clear Picture (OFF)
CMS (ALL 0)
Color Temperature (HIGH)
Gamma (0)
Film Mode (ADVANCED +10)
Monochrome (OFF)

Color Temperature (HIGH)

LO (R0, G+12, B-3)
HI (R-15, G+30, B-3)

John - these are nice settings for dynamic mode. I applied them to the 70 SQ however having to bring up the backlight between 6-8 and set the film mode to standard. I also keep the light sensor off...Your tweaking of the hue, saturation and color temp make this mode outstanding...if you further please post....Good work!
post #87 of 205 Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, I totally understand what your are talking about. I have tried to change the setting in different modes (Game, Dynamic, User, and PC) since I got my new TV last week.
I also remembered that CMS is changeable in some occasions. I will double checked it tonight.

Actually, UQ17U impressed me very much when I played Bluray or PS3, The picture quality is amazing. However, when I watch Cable, the picture quality of some channels looks like a little foggy. I have never seen this in my old LCD TV (42"). That's why I want to try different settings.

Thanks!
post #88 of 205 Old 07-01-2014, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buski View Post
Yes, I totally understand what your are talking about. I have tried to change the setting in different modes (Game, Dynamic, User, and PC) since I got my new TV last week.
I also remembered that CMS is changeable in some occasions. I will double checked it tonight.

Actually, UQ17U impressed me very much when I played Bluray or PS3, The picture quality is amazing. However, when I watch Cable, the picture quality of some channels looks like a little foggy. I have never seen this in my old LCD TV (42"). That's why I want to try different settings.

Thanks!
I posted a Dynamic mode that may be better for Cable.
Also, I have turned on the Active Contrast for my Satellite box to keep those changes
from one scene or source to the next from looking alternately clear and cloudy.
These TVs do some kind of adaptive trick that I have not seen before either...
post #89 of 205 Old 07-01-2014, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

AV Mode: MOVIE THX

THX Setup (DARK ROOM)
Contrast (+34)
Brightness (+1)
Color (0)
Tint (0)
Sharpness (0)
Resolution (Mode 1)
Motion (Aquomotion 240)
Clear Picture (OFF)
CMS Hue (ALL 0)
CMS Saturation (R-14, Y0, G-21, C0, B-14, M0)
CMS Value (ALL 0)
Color Temp (MIDDLE)
Active Contrast (OFF)
Gamma (-3)
Film (ADVANCED +10)
DNR (OFF)

This has no adjustment to the white scale -- it looks completely linear and is not too pink.
I think it must have been a requirement of THX that they actually calibrate the white scale.
The Gamma is -3, which is as low as it can go and it still has a washed-out appearance.
I have not tried a BluRay with the setting, but Satellite looks good -- I still prefer USER overall.
I'll give this setting a spin with the next BluRay viewing to see how it looks.
All the primary colors are dialed back to prevent clipping, which was pretty awful in default.
The main Color control can be dialed up if you find it to 'pastel'.
The Contrast is set to spec as is the Brightness. Again, these can be dialed to provide better picture.
THX doesn't require separate input settings, so it is set and forget. Feedback appreciated!
post #90 of 205 Old 07-01-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I posted a Dynamic mode that may be better for Cable.
Also, I have turned on the Active Contrast for my Satellite box to keep those changes
from one scene or source to the next from looking alternately clear and cloudy.
These TVs do some kind of adaptive trick that I have not seen before either...

I tried again today. It's funny. I am still not able to adjust CMS setting in the USER mode but I have figured out how to make it now.
I switch the input resource of my AV Receiver to USB, then I can change everything. The good thing is, all the changes are applied to other input.
Correctly speaking, I don't watch cable but STB instead (I don't live in the US).
Everything is fine now and thanks for your help. I love your Dynamic setting.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page