Pressed for time, what are some LCDs that do not have any flashlight issues? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pressed for time, what are some LCDs that do not have any flashlight issues?

my current sony KDL-52NX800 is suddenly dying (was replacement for another older rear projection sony). I am a little weary of sony after 2 defective units, so I assumed I would be buying Samsung but after reading these forums non stop the past couple of days I am even more confused.

I do not care about 4k, and definitely do not care about 3D.

50"-55" is what I am looking for.

TV mainly used for blu rays, sports, and xbox (so input lag is a factor, been using the latency database to check models).

One annoying thing about my current KDL-52NX800 was the flashlight effect from the edge lit screen, very noticeable in panning shots etc. I would love to avoid this issue in the future, in reading threads and reviews I can not tell if this issue is no longer present, only shows up in the corners now, or still exists but not talked about much (I am unaware of much of the HDTV advances the past 4 years).

I am looking at the UN55H6350AFXZA, but the 4 legged stand puts me off a little. also the samsung panel lottery has the potential to mess with my head hehe.

am open to Sony, Samsung and any other LCD brand suggestions - any help is appreciated, money will not limit decision. I have to move on this quicker than I would like, and don't want to bring something home only to be surprised by a tv thats not a huge upgrade in picture and side effects. thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-dogg View Post
my current sony KDL-52NX800 is suddenly dying (was replacement for another older rear projection sony). I am a little weary of sony after 2 defective units, so I assumed I would be buying Samsung but after reading these forums non stop the past couple of days I am even more confused.

I do not care about 4k, and definitely do not care about 3D.

50"-55" is what I am looking for.

TV mainly used for blu rays, sports, and xbox (so input lag is a factor, been using the latency database to check models).

One annoying thing about my current KDL-52NX800 was the flashlight effect from the edge lit screen, very noticeable in panning shots etc. I would love to avoid this issue in the future, in reading threads and reviews I can not tell if this issue is no longer present, only shows up in the corners now, or still exists but not talked about much (I am unaware of much of the HDTV advances the past 4 years).

I am looking at the UN55H6350AFXZA, but the 4 legged stand puts me off a little. also the samsung panel lottery has the potential to mess with my head hehe.

am open to Sony, Samsung and any other LCD brand suggestions - any help is appreciated, money will not limit decision. I have to move on this quicker than I would like, and don't want to bring something home only to be surprised by a tv thats not a huge upgrade in picture and side effects. thanks in advance!
I would never have said this a year ago, but you should check out the 2014 Vizio (yes, Vizio) M series. They use a full array backlight with local dimming (FALD). Most reviews have been very good. There are several threads in this forum.

Last edited by FLBoy; 06-18-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Clarify.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Sony KDL50 or 55W800/850B are edge lit AUO MVA panels owners and reviewers report very good pictures and not much in the way of flashlighting or clouding KDL W800B are 2D - KDL 850B are 3D both are said to have same 2D picture quality and 120Hz panels .
Sony 2014 W600B,W800B,W850B

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page