post #31 of 45 Old 06-22-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post
I think that makes things little more clear. STB converts signal to 60Hz where it becomes compatible with the 60Hz TV. It does not mean TV is able to do 50Hz
This poster is using a DVB-T receiver with an HTPC (Home Theatre PC). The PC is outputting 60Hz and doing a conversion from the 50Hz DVB-T signals it receives. No STB involved. The picture is going to be pretty juddery (particularly on sports, news, entertainment content that is 50Hz native). I've got used to spotting the artefacts when my HTPCs have switched from 50Hz to 60Hz after driver changes. Personally I find it unwatchably bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 06-22-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
This poster is using a DVB-T receiver with an HTPC (Home Theatre PC). The PC is outputting 60Hz and doing a conversion from the 50Hz DVB-T signals it receives. No STB involved. The picture is going to be pretty juddery (particularly on sports, news, entertainment content that is 50Hz native). I've got used to spotting the artefacts when my HTPCs have switched from 50Hz to 60Hz after driver changes. Personally I find it unwatchably bad.
he said he had another TV that was connected to an STB and no issues as well
copied my answer to you from other thread

I believe you are right, apart from Samsung F8500 and OLED others don't support 50Hz, but according to the Indian forumers and the guys in the other thread, the TV was working overseas but displaying 60Hz instead. I'm planning to use dreambox very good FTA receiver, I'm familiar with it, it has option for 50Hz, 60Hz or even Multi.

I'm just worried there will be stuttering due to handeling 60Hz for 50Hz material but nobody had such complaints, which means conversion is smooth and effective
post #33 of 45 Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
I'm quite sensitive to judder, and I didn't notice any in my daily viewing. Having an older set though my expectations may not have been as demanding as yourself.
post #34 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
^^^^ I have to agree 100% with sneals2000 here.

anis_ber, all the effort to take 55" TV sounds like a hell of a lot screwing around to have a very compromised viewing experience. I don't know where in Europe you are going, but I'm more than positive you could find a decent deal on a 55" TV in the EU that would outweigh carting a US 60Hz set over there. You could even go online or to Ebay over there and find a deal. Hoping that whatever Euro set top box, especially if you want to watch Pay TV can output @ 60Hz is going to be pot luck at best. Any thought of doing everything via HTPC is of course an extra cost and certainly not plug and play(nor caters for Pay TV's signal encryption in most areas).

Hisma, if you had done the same move here to Australia in the last 2-4 years I'd have said your nuts carting 2 TVs here from the US(then as I read shipping them back). Our prices have been on par with US prices for years now. For example, I'm buying the recently released Sony XBR-55X900B for the equiv of $US3600 or quite a bit below the average US retail. An LG 42" LED will set you back all of $700, a 55" LED $1300. That price point for size hasn't altered much over the last few years, just the tech specs of course.

post #35 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 44
And if these are plasma the risks of shipping broken glass are quite high.
The last tv I shipped was a monster weight 32in flat glass vet Panasonic from 2002.

Not sure I would do that again.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
post #36 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
PAL, SECAM and NTSC are no longer relevant as they're the old analogue TV standards that are no longer used after the digital switchover.

Are you sure you've got a 55EA9800, the curved LG OLED TV?

50Hz broadcasts shouldn't be confused with 50Hz electricity - having one doesn't automatically mean support for the other. You should establish whether your TV supports 50Hz by sending it a 1080p50 signal over HDMI.

Most TVs and Blu-ray drives sold in the US cannot work with 50Hz signals. It's a kind of geolocking. Sony does the same thing with their camera video modes. In some cases devices just convert 50Hz material to 60Hz.

It is possible to buy a 50 to 60Hz converter like the Orei units but I don't know what the quality's like. 50 to 60Hz conversion is often very poor in quality although it doesn't need to be.
post #37 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Thx for helping
now I'm more confused after a response from a user here in another thread, below his answer

I found it a great trick, except it made me more confused, I tried that first on my Samsung F8500, it surprisingly showed all refresh rates including 50Hz 25Hz. I tried it on the LG EA9800 (only 23,24,29,30,59,60 displayed, no 25 or 50Hz displayed). I went to Bestbuy with laptop and HDMI cable, basically only 3 TVs F8500, OLED samsung, RCA displayed 50Hz, rest including LG, Sony, Panasonic, Vizio did not(tried 15 TVs or so)
What does it mean? have no idea, I would have been more confident if LG did show 50Hz but it's not the case. Many users in R2i forum have taken their TV to india with good results.
Do you still have access to that panasonic TV, can you try the trick
(connect tv to laptop via hdmi, right click on desktop, then click screen resolution, then click advanced settings, then graphic card tab or monitor tab, then drop down menu screen refresh rates

Decision Decision...
it's very simple the LG can't be used in a good way it will hard judder or didn't show anything.
post #38 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post
PAL, SECAM and NTSC are no longer relevant as they're the old analogue TV standards that are no longer used after the digital switchover.
this is not true. they still use the refresh rate part of the old PAL and NTSC part. of cause the resolution still Part of NTSC and PAL is not use in HD braodcast but still in SD broadcast and SD broasdcast is digital too.

NTSC country use 60 HZ and PAL country use 50 HZ even with digital. so it's still fine to use these words.
PAL NTSC are digital too DVD are all digital and they are PAL or NTSC.
post #39 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
^^^^ I have to agree 100% with sneals2000 here.

anis_ber, all the effort to take 55" TV sounds like a hell of a lot screwing around to have a very compromised viewing experience. I don't know where in Europe you are going, but I'm more than positive you could find a decent deal on a 55" TV in the EU that would outweigh carting a US 60Hz set over there. You could even go online or to Ebay over there and find a deal. Hoping that whatever Euro set top box, especially if you want to watch Pay TV can output @ 60Hz is going to be pot luck at best. Any thought of doing everything via HTPC is of course an extra cost and certainly not plug and play(nor caters for Pay TV's signal encryption in most areas).

Hisma, if you had done the same move here to Australia in the last 2-4 years I'd have said your nuts carting 2 TVs here from the US(then as I read shipping them back). Our prices have been on par with US prices for years now. For example, I'm buying the recently released Sony XBR-55X900B for the equiv of $US3600 or quite a bit below the average US retail. An LG 42" LED will set you back all of $700, a 55" LED $1300. That price point for size hasn't altered much over the last few years, just the tech specs of course.
if I had to pay my own way I'd seriously reconsider. But when a company is paying for my full relocation, I'll take everything I can along with me.
post #40 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

Are you sure you've got a 55EA9800, the curved LG OLED TV?
Yes, why? does it matter?

for the guys who says prices in Australia are better than US, maybe but Europe is a different story, so I'm sure I am saving $$

I can change plan and send a F8500 as it can do 50Hz for sure

One thing I just remember that I sent a PS3 Display monitor overthere, my family is using it as a TV, they told me picture is just fine no issues no stuttering, and it displays 60Hz only ( I double checked with them with the laptop hdmi method)
post #41 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
One thing I just remember that I sent a PS3 Display monitor overthere, my family is using it as a TV, they told me picture is just fine no issues no stuttering, and it displays 60Hz only ( I double checked with them with the laptop hdmi method)
I guess it depends how sensitive you are to 10Hz judder. I'm incredibly sensitive to motion rendition. I've been playing around with XBMC and TV Headend using DVB-T/T2 tuners recently and on installation my XBMC boxes default to 1080/60p output. I can see the 10Hz judder within about 5 seconds of watching a 50Hz SD or HD TV channel, or watching a 50Hz DVD or Blu-ray.

(I do work in the broadcast industry and am trained to assess picture quality objectively - so I accept I'm not typical.)

How are your family feeding 50Hz TV to the 60Hz-only PS3 display monitor ? It could be they don't notice the judder as much as I do. I'm sure lots of people either wouldn't notice, or wouldn't know it was fixable.
OzHDHT likes this.
post #42 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm just worried there will be stuttering due to handeling 60Hz for 50Hz material but nobody had such complaints, which means conversion is smooth and effective
I've never seen any 50->60Hz conversion at a consumer price point that is either smooth or effective. I've seen everything from 50->25->60 type conversions (where all motion >25Hz is discarded) and I've seen 50->60 conversion where you get 10 additional repeated frames each second created (repeating every 5th frame). Watch a news channel with a smooth crawling ticker and the judder is very noticeable. (Microsoft had issues with the Xbox One in Europe when it launched because they did a 50->60Hz conversion permanently on 50Hz HDMI inputs - they had to fix it pretty quickly : http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/xbox-...1311233468.htm )
OzHDHT likes this.
post #43 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, why? does it matter?

for the guys who says prices in Australia are better than US, maybe but Europe is a different story, so I'm sure I am saving $$

I can change plan and send a F8500 as it can do 50Hz for sure

I realise now that it's been specified, that you are trying to do it because you've obv spent a chunk of change on the OLED model. What like $5K? In that case given all the issues with compatibility, If it were me I'd just sell it. I'd still most def question hauling a plasma to Europe. As was said already weight and fragility would have to be considered.

No kidding Europe is a diff story with pricing. Still in scheme of things you can still find a TV there at price that won't break the bank. You might have to step back a tad from the buying power you have in the US, but you can still get a decent TV though that's not a heap of sh*t. Would help to know where in the large expanse of Europe you're actually going as well. Of course prices can vary country to country with the UK being of course a shocker and I'd probably go back on what I just said about pricing as historically they have been the worst bar none.

I have to agree strongly with sneals2000 regarding judder. I deal with it when watching TV content from diff regions via HTPC regularly. I immediately check the native framerate when I see it. Quite often I've got to switch the videocard rez over to the suitable framerate. This is always the case, no exception with 50Hz material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
if I had to pay my own way I'd seriously reconsider. But when a company is paying for my full relocation, I'll take everything I can along with me.
Generous company. My company occasionally has to move execs interstate and I know we don't take kindly to big relocation bills. I know if I was contemplating shipping and reshipping of TV's in this day and age, I'd seriously be considering how outdated the TV would be by the time I got it home. Given I can easily swap out my living room and bedroom TV's every 18 months (less in the case of the 55XBR850A 4K I replaced my 55HX850 with), I couldn't see sending any TV in my house further than somewhere in this country.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 06-23-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #44 of 45 Old 06-23-2014, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
I realise now that it's been specified, that you are trying to do it because you've obv spent a chunk of change on the OLED model. What like $5K? In that case given all the issues with compatibility, If it were me I'd just sell it. I'd still most def question hauling a plasma to Europe. As was said already weight and fragility would have to be considered.

No kidding Europe is a diff story with pricing. Still in scheme of things you can still find a TV there at price that won't break the bank. You might have to step back a tad from the buying power you have in the US, but you can still get a decent TV though that's not a heap of sh*t. Would help to know where in the large expanse of Europe you're actually going as well. Of course prices can vary country to country with the UK being of course a shocker and I'd probably go back on what I just said about pricing as historically they have been the worst bar none.

I have to agree strongly with sneals2000 regarding judder. I deal with it when watching TV content from diff regions via HTPC regularly. I immediately check the native framerate when I see it. Quite often I've got to switch the videocard rez over to the suitable framerate. This is always the case, no exception with 50Hz material.

Generous company. My company occasionally has to move execs interstate and I know we don't take kindly to big relocation bills. I know if I was contemplating shipping and reshipping of TV's in this day and age, I'd seriously be considering how outdated the TV would be by the time I got it home. Given I can easily swap out my living room and bedroom TV's every 18 months (less in the case of the 55XBR850A 4K I replaced my 55HX850 with), I couldn't see sending any TV in my house further than somewhere in this country.

55EA9800 yes but paid only $2000 for it
post #45 of 45 Old 06-24-2014, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
55EA9800 yes but paid only $2000 for it
Then less to be concerned about then if you sell it or leave it behind man. You can prob make a buck if you sell it looking at Ebay the cheapest they are going for new is $3000.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 120V by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page