120V 50-60Hz TV to Europe, is it possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Question 120V 50-60Hz TV to Europe, is it possible?

Hi

I know it's never ending debate, I looked up everywhere including this forum. the PAL vs NTSC/ATSC is still confusing to me

I'm moving to Europe where 220-240V is used, they also have PAL and 50Hz

Correct me if I'm wrong but PAL and 50Hz go together right?

I have 55EA9800, the manual and back of TV states that it's 120V 50-60Hz (although 2 page-spec says 120-240V)
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-55EA9800#

Good news it handles 50Hz which means PAL too (if my understanding is correct), interstingly it's only 120V and not 240V, I thought if TV can handle 50Hz it'll usually be 240V

I know TV tuner won't get the DVB-T used in europe, I don't care. I will mainly use it for satellite/PS3... using hdmi inputs

Do you thing I won't have problem with the PAL system used overthere?

Do you really think power supply is only 120V or it's 240V (since it does 50Hz) but they don't wanna mention that.

I appreciate your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Any nice comment from anybody?
Old 06-20-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

status waiting
Old 06-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 142
You will need a step down transformer to run the TV, and if you want to watch TV you either need a cable box or some box with an external pal tuner. The built in tuner will be NTSC only.

It's not as bad as it sounds. I did an overseas move from US to Australia, and took my plasma TV with me. I just did everything through my HTPC.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
gary777 likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

So to answer your question more directly, if it doesn't say 240V in the specs, it's not 240V, and plugging it in without a transformer will destroy the TV.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
You will need a step down transformer to run the TV, and if you want to watch TV you either need a cable box or some box with an external pal tuner. The built in tuner will be NTSC only.

It's not as bad as it sounds. I did an overseas move from US to Australia, and took my plasma TV with me. I just did everything through my HTPC.

Thx for reply
I know the tuner won't get the DVB-T used in Europe, I don't care about TV's tuner
I will use external satellite/cable box that is capable of PAL/NTSC/SECAM connected to TV via HDMI. Apparently PAL is the norm in europe. I'm not sure if that's going to be an issue.
I read opinions about not an issue with newer TVs using external boxes, but others saying I need a PAL/NTSC converter which is a NO NO for me
Old 06-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post
Thx for reply
I know the tuner won't get the DVB-T used in Europe, I don't care about TV's tuner
I will use external satellite/cable box that is capable of PAL/NTSC/SECAM connected to TV via HDMI. Apparently PAL is the norm in europe. I'm not sure if that's going to be an issue.
I read opinions about not an issue with newer TVs using external boxes, but others saying I need a PAL/NTSC converter which is a NO NO for me
You'll be fine. A cable or satellite box will have everything you need to receive a PALfeed. You only need to power the TV with 120V, which can only be achieved with a step down transformer.

SMHarman likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You'll be fine. A cable or satellite box will have everything you need to receive a PALfeed. You only need to power the TV with 120V, which can only be achieved with a step down transformer.

Thx that's a great thing to know. I'm not sure why some say the opposite.
I hope I can get confirmation from couple more people to be more confident, afterall it's not easy to take 55" thousands of mile roundtrip
Old 06-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Not wirth it in my opinion. I moved from US to Bulgaria, and sold my TV. You save on sipping, plus you have incentive to buy a newer model. Else a step down transformer and external tuner box.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
Not wirth it in my opinion. I moved from US to Bulgaria, and sold my TV. You save on sipping, plus you have incentive to buy a newer model. Else a step down transformer and external tuner box.
I'm not sure what airline companies charge for tv-like packages
Well prices in Europe are sky high, this is oled tv that I got for 2K, I'm pretty sure it'll cost me 6K in Europe

Any more input for others is appreciated
Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I agree with vddobrev. Just sell it or store it. And get you something inexpensive there, if you will only be their temporarily.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Old 06-20-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
I agree with vddobrev. Just sell it or store it. And get you something inexpensive there, if you will only be their temporarily.
I'm afraid it's permanent or at least few years
Old 06-20-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I would sell it and get a Panasonic VT60 or ZT60 plasma which apparently can still be found in the UK and other European countries (or barring that a Samsung F8500).

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

I don't see the big deal with taking the TV overseas. As I said earlier, I did it. My case was different though because my company paid full relocation. Still, I bought a step down transformer for like $80, and I ran my US-based onkyo receiver and my panasonic pz850u plasma no worries.

You don't want to leave the transformer on 24/7 though, I think there's some power "leakage" due to transformer losses. When you get overseas, buy something like this -

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Remot.../dp/B003TL6FI8

When you want to watch TV, remotely turn on the outlet. When you're all done, turn off the outlet.

The other thing that sucks about transformers is the inevitable low frequency "buzz" they emit. It's subtle, but in a perfectly quiet room you will hear it. so other than some minor drawbacks, running your 120V electronics overseas isn't a huge hassle, and worth it if you don't want to sell, or re-buy something more expensive that is inferior quality overseas.

Last edited by Hisma; 06-20-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 78
So, Himsa, did you rely on a set top box (cable or satellite) to convert the video feed to 60 Hz output? I know some do so now. Did it look OK? He's going to need that. His set, although it will accept 50Hz electrical power, cannot display and 50Hz video signals.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post
So, Himsa, did you rely on a set top box (cable or satellite) to convert the video feed to 60 Hz output? I know some do so now. Did it look OK? He's going to need that. His set, although it will accept 50Hz electrical power, cannot display and 50Hz video signals.
I was gonna ask about this specifically, I thought the 50Hz that TV can handle is for video, apparently it's for power. Any issues of 60Hz TV coping with 50Hz signal?
Old 06-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball View Post
on my main TV I used an HTPC with a USB DVB-T tv-tuner.

I had a second TV that I simply used a local off-the-shelf digital set top box connected via HDMI, and the US-based TV handled it no problem. Can't see how any modern TV wouldn't support a change in refresh rate.

Think about it. Many people use their TV with HTPCs. You can go into your video settings and change the refresh rate to 30Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, whatever, and it will still work.

I may be wrong, but I believe the main difference between overseas TVs and US TVs would be the built-in tuner, and the voltage of the TV. Most everything else about the TV would be the same, hardware-wise.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

btw, the box didn't convert the signal to 60Hz. It was 50Hz, and all my TVs displayed the signal no problem.

Bill, do you have first-hand experience with this subject, or are you going off what others have told you? (not trying to be rude, just trying to understand how my personal experience varies so much from what you are saying). I did a quick google on the subject and most others are agreeing with me. All you need is a step down transformer and a STB or HTPC.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
on my main TV I used an HTPC with a USB DVB-T tv-tuner.

I had a second TV that I simply used a local off-the-shelf digital set top box connected via HDMI, and the US-based TV handled it no problem. Can't see how any modern TV wouldn't support a change in refresh rate.

Think about it. Many people use their TV with HTPCs. You can go into your video settings and change the refresh rate to 30Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, whatever, and it will still work.

I may be wrong, but I believe the main difference between overseas TVs and US TVs would be the built-in tuner, and the voltage of the TV. Most everything else about the TV would be the same, hardware-wise.
very confusing especially when you read this thread
Using an American TV in Sweden (ATSC and DVB-T)
may I know what was your main TV if the usb DVB-T was working without an issue than it was handeling well 50Hz (either natively by spec or as you said newer TV can't have such issues)
Old 06-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
very confusing especially when you read this thread
Using an American TV in Sweden (ATSC and DVB-T)
may I know what was your main TV if the usb DVB-T was working without an issue than it was handeling well 50Hz (either natively by spec or as you said newer TV can't have such issues)
Already mentioned it was a panasonic pz850u. The TV is from 2008, so not even that new.

No issues whatsoever, PQ was on par with what I had in the US. That thread looks to be quite old, so I am guessing new STBs with HDMI connections have solved those problems.

When I googled searched this was the first thread I found -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...ork-uk-694471/

Almost everyone said their TV worked fine w/ a step-down transformer and the local STB, which is apparently called sky HD.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sky is sat tv like direct and virgin media is cable. There is also a great ota digital broadcast.
Don't forget to buy your tv licence.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2014, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
btw, the box didn't convert the signal to 60Hz. It was 50Hz, and all my TVs displayed the signal no problem.

Bill, do you have first-hand experience with this subject, or are you going off what others have told you? (not trying to be rude, just trying to understand how my personal experience varies so much from what you are saying). I did a quick google on the subject and most others are agreeing with me. All you need is a step down transformer and a STB or HTPC.
I'm just going by what I understand - no direct experience. There's no support for 25/50Hz playback in the owners manual for the US version of his TV...nor is there for you Panny model, which also is only listed as 60Hz power. Maybe these are both in error. A number of set top boxes can put out 60 Hz and convert from 50 Hz, just like region-free DVD players, so I thought maybe that's what worked for you. Sorry if I'm just adding to the confusion, but bottomline, it CAN be done.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input
Anybody suggests a good step down converter
The TV specs: Under 85W, Max 291W
I believe I have to go with 500watts, I don't want those bulky one if there is good alternative

Thx
Old 06-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input
Anybody suggests a good step down converter
The TV specs: Under 85W, Max 291W
I believe I have to go with 500watts, I don't want those bulky one if there is good alternative

Thx
Just find one on ebay or the local online retailer. Most likely you'll get something made in China no matter where you get it. 500W should be good, you want that cushion just in case, and you can bring other stuff with you if you have it & don't wanna sell it (like a receiver). A 500W will likely have passive cooling, which will make it quieter than the giant ones that need air cooling.

Some serious av'ers might suggest you might also need a power conditioner, but I say don't over-think it . I had a receiver, plasma TV (power hog), and a sub-woofer plugged into a 1000W transformer, and I ended up unplugging the fan on it b/c I barely drew more than 500W. Went 2 years w/o a hiccup.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just find one on ebay or the local online retailer. Most likely you'll get something made in China no matter where you get it. 500W should be good, you want that cushion just in case, and you can bring other stuff with you if you have it & don't wanna sell it (like a receiver). A 500W will likely have passive cooling, which will make it quieter than the giant ones that need air cooling.

Some serious av'ers might suggest you might also need a power conditioner, but I say don't over-think it . I had a receiver, plasma TV (power hog), and a sub-woofer plugged into a 1000W transformer, and I ended up unplugging the fan on it b/c I barely drew more than 500W. Went 2 years w/o a hiccup.
Thx for helping
now I'm more confused after a response from a user here in another thread, below his answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
The 50/60Hz issue is very real. If your US TV doesn't support 50Hz sources you won't be able to connect a European set-top box successfully via HDMI. Finding out whether your US TV supports 50Hz can be a challenge.

If you have a PC or Mac with HDMI output, try connecting it to the HDMI input of your TV and then checking what refresh rates your PC says are supported in the graphics drivers or resolution control panels (it may be in the advanced section). If you have a 60Hz only set you will probably only see some or all of the following : 23,24,29,30,59,60Hz (in a mix of progressive and interlaced versions) If you have a 50/60Hz set you should also see 50 (and possibly 25) in the list of supported refresh rates (again in a mix of progressive and interlaced).

If you can select one of the 1280x720 or 1920x1080 at 50p or 50i or 25i (depends on nomenclature) and get a picture, congratulations, your TV supports 50Hz HDMI.

If 25/50 isn't reported or if selected doesn't work (unlikely as the TV should tell your graphics drivers what refresh rates it supports via EDID) then bad luck, your TV has no 50Hz support.
I found it a great trick, except it made me more confused, I tried that first on my Samsung F8500, it surprisingly showed all refresh rates including 50Hz 25Hz. I tried it on the LG EA9800 (only 23,24,29,30,59,60 displayed, no 25 or 50Hz displayed). I went to Bestbuy with laptop and HDMI cable, basically only 3 TVs F8500, OLED samsung, RCA displayed 50Hz, rest including LG, Sony, Panasonic, Vizio did not(tried 15 TVs or so)
What does it mean? have no idea, I would have been more confident if LG did show 50Hz but it's not the case. Many users in R2i forum have taken their TV to india with good results.
Do you still have access to that panasonic TV, can you try the trick
(connect tv to laptop via hdmi, right click on desktop, then click screen resolution, then click advanced settings, then graphic card tab or monitor tab, then drop down menu screen refresh rates

Decision Decision...
Old 06-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thx for helping
now I'm more confused after a response from a user here in another thread, below his answer

I found it a great trick, except it made me more confused, I tried that first on my Samsung F8500, it surprisingly showed all refresh rates including 50Hz 25Hz. I tried it on the LG EA9800 (only 23,24,29,30,59,60 displayed, no 25 or 50Hz displayed). I went to Bestbuy with laptop and HDMI cable, basically only 3 TVs F8500, OLED samsung, RCA displayed 50Hz, rest including LG, Sony, Panasonic, Vizio did not(tried 15 TVs or so)
What does it mean? have no idea, I would have been more confident if LG did show 50Hz but it's not the case. Many users in R2i forum have taken their TV to india with good results.
Do you still have access to that panasonic TV, can you try the trick
(connect tv to laptop via hdmi, right click on desktop, then click screen resolution, then click advanced settings, then graphic card tab or monitor tab, then drop down menu screen refresh rates

Decision Decision...
Well I'm definitely learning something here. Maybe I just got lucky??
I had 2 TVs I took with me from the US to Australia. The plasma that I mentioned, and a piece of junk sammy LCD I bought on black friday in 2009, model LN40B500. I don't have either TV with me, sorry (they're on a container ship en route back to the US from Australia). Both TVs worked with DVB-T tuners via an HTPC.

I don't know if newer TVs support less refresh rates than older ones, or if it's some trick a video card can pull off. I want to help, but I'm honestly not willing to do all the research for you . I gave you as much info as I can give.

So I guess my credibility is out the window now, since even though I had no problems, people who are clearly more knowledgeable than myself are telling you to "watch out". Best thing to do may be to sell the TV if you're that worried.

Your choice. You know you can get it to work if you really want to. Question is if it's worth all the effort to you.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well I'm definitely learning something here. Maybe I just got lucky??
I had 2 TVs I took with me from the US to Australia. The plasma that I mentioned, and a piece of junk sammy LCD I bought on black friday in 2009, model LN40B500. I don't have either TV with me, sorry (they're on a container ship en route back to the US from Australia). Both TVs worked with DVB-T tuners via an HTPC.

I don't know if newer TVs support less refresh rates than older ones, or if it's some trick a video card can pull off. I want to help, but I'm honestly not willing to do all the research for you . I gave you as much info as I can give.

So I guess my credibility is out the window now, since even though I had no problems, people who are clearly more knowledgeable than myself are telling you to "watch out". Best thing to do may be to sell the TV if you're that worried.

Your choice. You know you can get it to work if you really want to. Question is if it's worth all the effort to you.
Appreciate all your help, last thing Indian who had luck reported that with their STB able to output 60Hz, they had luck using TV, but TV would display 60Hz not 50Hz, before such boxes exist they were using PAL-NTSC converter.
Do you remember by any chance if your TVs were showing 50 or 60 Hz?

Thanks and sorry for asking too many questions
Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Appreciate all your help, last thing Indian who had luck reported that with their STB able to output 60Hz, they had luck using TV, but TV would display 60Hz not 50Hz, before such boxes exist they were using PAL-NTSC converter.
Do you remember by any chance if your TVs were showing 50 or 60 Hz?

Thanks and sorry for asking too many questions
No problem, wish I could do more. I am almost certain I had all my sets running at 1080p @ 60 Hz. I didn't have to do any special configuration changes to get TV to work. Once I installed the DVB-T tuner drivers (it was a Hauppauge NOVA-TD Dual Digital Tuner USB), I scanned for channels in windows media center, everything detected automatically and it all just worked. Since it worked just fine on both of my TVs (which are vastly different in quality), I assumed it wouldn't be a big deal for anyone. Good luck.

Last edited by Hisma; 06-22-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No problem, wish I could do more. I am almost certain I had all my sets running at 1080p @ 60 Hz. I didn't have to do any special configuration changes to get TV to work. Once I installed the DVB-T drivers, I scanned for channels in windows media center, everything detected automatically and it all just worked. Since it worked just fine on both of my TVs (which are vastly different in quality), I assumed it wouldn't be a big deal for anyone. Good luck.
I think that makes things little more clear. STB converts signal to 60Hz where it becomes compatible with the 60Hz TV. It does not mean TV is able to do 50Hz
Old 06-22-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Right - loads of stuff here :

50/60Hz compatibility for power has nothing to do with 50/60Hz compatibility with video sources. (Japan has both 50 and 60Hz 100-110V mains power - so 50/60Hz power supplies are widespread irrespective of video functionality) 50Hz power supply compatibility doesn't mean 50Hz video HDMI compatibility.

Using an HTPC connected to a PC will solve lots of problems - as HTPCs will output 60Hz signals compatible with 60Hz displays. They'll look horrid displaying 50Hz sources - but they will work. (My opinion - others may disagree) However it's tricky to connect the HDMI output of a satellite/cable set top box to an HTPC (analogue composite is possible but who watches analogue these days?) so conversion of a pay-tv receiver is still not easy via this route. DVB-T/T2 tuner cards and DVB-S/S2 are possible - but only really suitable for FTA services. Which country you move to will dictate whether this is an option - but really - do you want to spend the time worrying about this?

PAL/SECAM/NTSC are composite formats. They have nothing to do with HDMI. Some people sloppily use "PAL" to mean 50Hz (though in Brazil they have 60Hz PAL...). You don't get PAL, SECAM or NTSC over HDMI. You get 480/60i, 576/50i, 480/60p, 576/60p, 1080/24p, 1080/50i, 1080/60i, 1080/50p and 1080/60p over HDMI... Some people cling on to describing 50Hz standards as "PAL" and 60Hz standards as "NTSC"... But it's not a good idea. (DVDs didn't help this...)

Some STBs - particularly no-name chinese brands - may well do a cheap and dirty 50Hz - 60Hz conversion. Good luck with that. You'll get a picture, but like with an HTPC, you'll get horrible 10Hz motion judder as every 5th frame is repeated to make 60 frames from 50 frames each second. If you want the full functionality in the UK - for instance - you won't be using a no-name chinese brand STB. Things like Dreamboxes will also attempt a 60Hz conversion - but only with 720p output - but its not something you'd want to watch all the time (again IMO)

My sincere recommendation is to sell your TV in the US and buy a TV in the EU. It will be a lot easier - and you'll be able to take it back to the US if/when you return safe in the knowledge that (as long as you can sort the power) it will work fine with US set top boxes etc. AND you'll be able to plug in an antenna in Europe and watch lots of TV for free (depending on the country you are in) without using a set top box.

Last edited by sneals2000; 06-22-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Gear in this thread - 120V by PriceGrabber.com