4K analysis By Chad B presented by CP : 65X900B VS 65X950B VS 65UB9800 VS UN65HU8550 - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Where is CP (CAV) located? See if I can find a friend or friend of a friend who might of bought a Sammy 9000 and could bring it by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
Where is CP (CAV) located? See if I can find a friend or friend of a friend who might of bought a Sammy 9000 and could bring it by.
Cleveland area, hence the name...
Old 06-24-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
I have been through THREE 65X900A's, March Mexico builds, and trust me, Vegas is not seeing things.

Line dead center on light and grey panning scenes for starters. Each had clouding on dead input screens, but could display black slides accurately. LED tinges at top and bottom were horrible on one set, but all have exhibited this issue.

Was having worse issues when running the set through a power conditioner. Now with direct power, its a better situation. However, a line in the center of the screen and mild banding on panning scenes still exist.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I went through 3 900a as well. All three had noticeable banding dead pixels and clouding. First had dust behind the glass. I don't know who they have running there Mexico plant perhaps monkeys... I really hope the 950 is better.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I don't know who they have running there Mexico plant perhaps monkeys...
Yes, I think there was this super smart chimp who was in a science project and then there was a virus or something and then Gary Oldman got involved and started yelling into his HTC phone. It's all in the trailer (I think they show it about 75 thousand times during sporting events.) Btw, I don't know who does your spell checking, perhaps monkeys...
Adamd, Hisma and Mrorange303 like this.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowknown View Post
Yes, I think there was this super smart chimp who was in a science project and then there was a virus or something and then Gary Oldman got involved and started yelling into his HTC phone. It's all in the trailer (I think they show it about 75 thousand times during sporting events.) Btw, I don't know who does your spell checking, perhaps monkeys...
Lol I walked right into that one. Usually my wife does but she was in the shower.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Lol I walked right into that one. Usually my wife does but she was in the shower.
No need to advise me of your disrobings sir, the NSA and I are monitoring all of your activites.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest: Snow joke - six foot rabbits and the run-a-way brain.

Last edited by nowknown; 06-24-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Quote:
No need to advise me of your disrobing activities sir, the NSA and I are monitoring all of your activites.
I'm curious if you, and the nsa while monitoring people through there tv camera's and cell phones aren't zapping the part of they're brains that controls the proper use of there, their, and they're? Curiously it seems to have been destroyed in a significant, and growing part of the population. I've noticed this phenomena on numerous forums. People just can't seem to get a grip on they're use of there, their, and they're. I've noticed this over their at the avforums as well. I'm not sure what's happened to there language center in they're brains, but for some reason a lot of people just don't seem to know how to use the word.
wth718 likes this.

Last edited by cranster; 06-24-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranster View Post
I'm curious if you, and the nsa while monitoring people through their tv camera's and cell phones aren't zapping the part of the brain that controls the proper use of there, their, and they're? Curiously it seems to have been destroyed in a significant, and growing part of the population.
Yes, their is a lot of confusion surrounding this.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Looks like Samsung is releasing more 4k flat panel models.... maybe someone in marketing read the HDTV survey

Samsung Expands UHD TV Selection
Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Sorry to hijack the thread with a somewhat serious question but. Who is supplying the panels for the sets to be tested? Do you anticipate that the panel itself will have much of a factor based on past experience? Thank you.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread with a somewhat serious question but. Who is supplying the panels for the sets to be tested? Do you anticipate that the panel itself will have much of a factor based on past experience? Thank you.
That would differ per manufacturer and per set size on top of other circumstances. Its probably best to wait to have Chad do his reviews and you can request that he attempt to find the maker of the panel of the sets he sees.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
That would differ per manufacturer and per set size on top of other circumstances. Its probably best to wait to have Chad do his reviews and you can request that he attempt to find the maker of the panel of the sets he sees.
I'm not sure I understand your answer. I thought we knew exactly the manufacture and set size from at least the 4K LED/LCD sets listed. What other circumstances are you referring to? I just thought that by now someone like perhaps Chris, could find out who's panels are being used and if that brand is considered to have a better track record than their competition.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavenaz View Post
I have been through THREE 65X900A's, March Mexico builds, and trust me, Vegas is not seeing things.

Line dead center on light and grey panning scenes for starters. Each had clouding on dead input screens, but could display black slides accurately. LED tinges at top and bottom were horrible on one set, but all have exhibited this issue.

Was having worse issues when running the set through a power conditioner. Now with direct power, its a better situation. However, a line in the center of the screen and mild banding on panning scenes still exist.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Quote:
I went through 3 900a as well. All three had noticeable banding dead pixels and clouding. First had dust behind the glass. I don't know who they have running there Mexico plant perhaps monkeys... I really hope the 950 is better.
My march mexico build was much better than my April mexico build.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your answer. I thought we knew exactly the manufacture and set size from at least the 4K LED/LCD sets listed. What other circumstances are you referring to? I just thought that by now someone like perhaps Chris, could find out who's panels are being used and if that brand is considered to have a better track record than their competition.

You asked about what panels, usually that is something you can only know once you have the set and can inspect it. The panel can differ from set to set (see posts on panel lottery). Companies source their panels usually from an outside source.

If you are referring to the sets that will be part of the "shootout" then all one would have to do is see the 1st post as all are listed.

As far as track record goes most of the majors are all the same as far as numbers go. Reliability is always a crapshoot, you
Could buy the most highly reliable TV and still get a bad egg. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, etc last i checked were all within a percentage point or few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

So you're saying that if I buy a 65x900a it could have a A-MVA panel from AU or a S-PVA panel from Samsung or a S-MVA panel from Chi Mei?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post
That is not a fact. That is an opinion. Audio Video SCIENCE is not an opinion based forum. Its pure scientific analysis done by professionals...

Seriously. Lets not give opinions to much credit. This forum will suffer terribly if everyone became "opinionated > scientific facts " minded...

This is an opinion for an opinionated individual it seems. Not a fact. Both are virtues which do not fair in a SCIENTIFIC audio and visual forum. But hey whatever floats your boat.....just dont tell us you feel excluded from this scientific community bc no one is taking your comments or "opinions" seriously....just sayin'

ps: Dont forget the name of this thread is "4K analysis by Chad B"
You sure like to throw around the word "scientific" a lot. What are you talking about exactly? Are you referring to technology that went into building the devices? Electronics? Physics? Psychology of perception? Image standards such as NTSC?

Speaking of NTSC standard, how do you think it came about? Was there some universal "scientific" fact that dictated the standard? Or do you think it was arbitrary standard that came about from the limitations of technology of the time?

If you knew anything about science, you'd know that one can argue that "facts" are nothing more than yet undisproved opinions. And what is "this scientific community" that you speak of? Are you a scientist? Are we all engineers and scientists now? Let's not flatter ourselves. We are hobbyists and enthusiasts. Nothing more.

FYI, in terms of resolution, 4K is better than 1080p. So if your criteria of "looking better" is resolution then, yes, 4K does look better. That is not an opinion. 4K > 2K.
Ken Ross likes this.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So you're saying that if I buy a 65x900a it could have a A-MVA panel from AU or a S-PVA panel from Samsung or a S-MVA panel from Chi Mei?
Technically yes, you probably want to head over to the sets dedicated thread to see if they have determined the source or sources of the panels being used. Samsung is notorious for using different manufacturers for their TVs even within the same size. You're better served in the owners threads however if you are looking for a specific panel. From a quick google search I found that the x900a could be an AUO panel, but that's unconfirmed as far as my quick search found......
Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Technically yes, you probably want to head over to the sets dedicated thread to see if they have determined the source or sources of the panels being used. Samsung is notorious for using different manufacturers for their TVs even within the same size. You're better served in the owners threads however if you are looking for a specific panel. From a quick google search I found that the x900a could be an AUO panel, but that's unconfirmed as far as my quick search found......
No no, the 900a uses a AUO panel same as this years but a slightly different version. I think for the most they are the same panel regardless of the size this year, last year I believe the 55 inch did use a different panel as the 3d was not full res. Another reason why 4k sets are so expensive is shortage of panels... this year is better and next year there will surely be more manufactures and thus cost will be cheaper.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

If you were in the market for a new 4K TV how important to you would the panel manufacturer be? I mean, if Chad comes up with a clear winner would not that finding change with a different panel? In the end, does it even matter who is chosen as best if you have no assurance that your actual TV would have the same panel that Chad tested?

Last edited by andy sullivan; 06-24-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you were in the market for a new 4K TV how important to you would the panel manufacturer be?
Not much really, more important would be the TV manufacturer... as long as you know the panel type that's all that really matters.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post
No no, the 900a uses a AUO panel same as this years but a slightly different version. I think for the most they are the same panel regardless of the size this year, last year I believe the 55 inch did use a different panel as the 3d was not full res. Another reason why 4k sets are so expensive is shortage of panels... this year is better and next year there will surely be more manufactures and thus cost will be cheaper.
Wait so what I said at the end was wrong? The beginning of my answer was a broad one to give an example of what could happen. I then found that Sony uses a 10-bit AUO panel supposedly (have not seen confirmation.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Saw this set at bb yesterday. Pretty underwhelming, the 4k feed looked soft and colours were flat. The curve seems to make the picture look stretched or unnatural. Could have been the feed or connection but it was nothing to write home about.
BestBuy stores have a lot static electricity in them and most homes too.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Right now I give 65X950B the best picture but I have not seen the LG or Panasonic800 or 900 yet.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
BestBuy stores have a lot static electricity in them and most homes too.
Ha what does that have to do with anything???
Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone cares, here's a sneak preview of the analysis...

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-65x900b/
Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ha what does that have to do with anything???
It has a lot to do with it, I've talk about dedicated 20 amps line a few times on Avs forum and what power outlets to buy, I have two Plasma TV's in my house they both are similar and you can see the difference, my brother and all my friends can see and hear difference with audio and video and guess what you don't have to believe me that's why I have not brought 4k tv my two BB friends told me I don't need change anything else.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
Right now I give 65X950B the best picture but I have not seen the LG or Panasonic800 or 900 yet.
The 950 might be a little better than the 900B, I would rather have 3k for a rainy day
IMO the most credible reviewer has given the Sony 900B the best picture of any 4K TV. If I was on the fence the cnet review would be enough for me to go 900B. Cnet has them all side by side set up properly and no what to look for.

Congrats to all the 900B owners.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
If anyone cares, here's a sneak preview of the analysis...

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-65x900b/
I wouldn't put to much weight behind his reviews. He has plainly stated many times that 4K is stupid and he can not see a difference between 1080p and 4K at their recommend viewing distances.

Also I think everyone, and not just him, that review sets need to stop putting this in there reviews.

"performed a hands-on evaluation of the 65-inch XBR-65X900B, but this review also applies to the other screen sizes in the series."

This is simply no longer the case, as many manufactures use differently sourced panels for difference sizes in the same line. European reviews seem to open up the backs of the TV to identify certain components and I think this is a feature the US reviewers should start to follow.
fafrd, jdh62, Mrorange303 and 1 others like this.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Could not agree more with your last sentence. This panel lottery should be made a bigger deal in reviews. If you and I buy the same TV do we have the same panel?
Old 06-24-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Could not agree more with your last sentence. This panel lottery should be made a bigger deal in reviews. If you and I buy the same TV do we have the same panel?
Especially when the reviewers are getting samples provided by the manufacturer. You can guarantee they're getting the best of the possible panels, or perhaps even a panel that's not in the sets that ship to the public.